Writing to her sister.

Laura O'Connor

Wand
Myrtle Wand 15 1/2inches. Core - Tail hair of Charmed Newt
The first thing that hit Laura as she entered the Owlery was the cold. Suddenly she was glad she had brought a warm jacket. She buttoned it up and attempted to bribe an owl into getting off her branch.

Laura was writing to her sister. She hadn't written to her in ages, it was true, but it was Christmas, and she wanted to be nice.
Hey Jo!

I know I haven't written in ages. I can't deny it, but hey, I'm writing now! Hehehe...

So much has been going on here. There's been exams, balls, birthdays, love, new friends, and that's just me! Let me start...

Well, I met this guy called Kyle Smith. He's really nice, kind and cute, and one thing led to another, and now we're going out! And before you! Joke, joke...

The exams went really well for me. I have a feeling I will either get an O or an EE for most subjects. You should have seen all the revising I was doing. It would scare even the most studious Ravenclaw.

The Yule Ball is on tomorrw night. I'm going with Kyle; I can't wait! I'm wearing the dress Mum made me. Do you remember it?

Merry Christmas! I enclose your present. It's not much, but please forgive me; I'm a bit short on money lately.

Please reply!

Loving you,
~Laura

Laura attached the letter and the package to the owl's leg. Hooting, the owl took off into the sky. Laura watched it go until it was no more than a speck.

Jo was awoken from her home in Cork by an owl tapping on the window. Recognising the writing to be her sister Laura's, she eagerly took the letter from the owl, passing her an Owl Treat to nibble on.

After reading the letter, Joanne exhaled loudly, glad that Laura was having a good time at school. She was happy that her sister thought to buy her a present. Jo carefully placed the wrapped package under her little tree, and grabbed a piece of pachment and quickly wrote a reply:
Laura,

I'm glad to hear you're having a great time. I enclose two gifts; one for your birthday, and one for Christmas. No, I didn't forget! Have a blast at the Ball, and don't worry about me. I'll be fine. A quiet Christmas is in the cards for me, I daresay.

Love you lots,
~Jo

Pinning the package and the letter to the owl's leg, she led the bird to the window. It took off into the night, hooting softly.

*~many days later~*

Lying down in her dorm,Laura heard a peck at the window. Opening the curtains, she saw her owl Hestia (formerly Swiftwings; she renamed her after her parent's deaths) sitting on the window ledge, with a letter and a package. Smiling, Laura opened the window, and the barn owl flew in, landing gracefully on her bed. Laura took the letter and read it, and opened the package. A beautiful necklace and a box of sweets fell out.

She opened the note that fell out. It read:
Laura,

This is the necklace that holds mum and dad's ashes. Keep it close; it will be a lot of comfort to you.

~Jo

Wiping a tear from her eye, Laura put the necklace around her neck, and the tears and the pain of her loss came back, as fresh as ever. Standing up, she let the dorm; she would not be able to face the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back