Writing home

Kate Johnson

Wand
Holly wand, 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Kate clutched the letter she had written yesterday at the end of Potions as she made her way up the steps of the owlery after History of Magic. Her parents had requested that she was to write to them at least once a week and nearly all week had she been recieving mail. It was as if she was a 1st year again. Last year they had been fine and they each wrote once a week but this year it was all hectic.

Everywhere seemed really busy at the moment as if the new 1st years had spread themselves everywhere. That was probably what i was like! She thought to herself. Last year was really hectic with all the major events of Professor Barker going missing and she still wasn't found. Everyone seemed to have calmed down about it but Kate was still worried. No more news on it came through and every meal time, she glanced up to the front where there was still an empty seat.

Life was going OK for her though so she decided not to feel all glum just about that. The start of the year had been great and every thing had gone smoothly. First the lessons had been awesome and they hadn't had much to do and secondly Milly was such fun to play with.

Reaching the top of the long climb, she opened the door and walked in quietly so not to disturb all the owls. Tilly was waiting in her perch as usual and was wide awake. Walking over carefully and quietly, she greeted the Tawny owl kindly and fed her some food. Watching the owl nibble the food, she set about tying the letter on. Checking it through once more for mistakes first though.
The Johnson Manor. 7 Brimal Street said:
Dear mum and dad,
It is good to speak to you again, even if it is just through Tilly. How are you both? I am fine and am very well. School seems even more full now with all the new 1st years. I am sharing a dorm with Pat, Nat, Bia and Becca. It is really friendly in there and they all love Milly. At first, she was a little naughty but now she has calmed down. Life over here is great and i am hoping you can say the same about your selves. The time here goes really quickly and so far i have had my 1st History of Magic lesson and Potions. The new HoM teacher is really nice, (better than the last!) and we are getting on really well. The quills are great and so is the ink and they are both lasting really well. I have already filled up 2 sheets of parchment as the quill seems to flow across the page!
I have to go now, but i will speak soon,
Hoping you are both well,
You darling daughter,
Kate
xx
PS You don't need to send me so much post!
PPS Please feed Tilly before you send her back and send some more food with her! As always!

Kate smiled and tucked it away with a silk ribbon, then tied it to Tilly's leg which she had made access to for Kate.
Smiling and feeding another treat to her, she balanced her on her arm as she devoured her meal for the day.

Hollie made her way to the owlery, waiting to see if Sam had replied. But no, Snowie wasn't there. She hoped beyond hope everything was well at home.
However, she spotted Kate there and made her way over to her friend.
"Hey, you ok?" she asked, leaning out of the window and breathing in the fresh air. "Stuffy up here, isn't it?"

Kate looked up as the door opened and placed Tilly downh. Seeing that it was Hollie, she relaxed and smiled broadly. "I am fine, you?" She asked in her general chatting voice. She noticed Hollie looking at the perch where Hollie's owl Snowie lived. There was no owl there and for a minute, Kate thought she saw a little worried frown on Hollie's forehead. Shaking the thought away she asked, "So how are things for you at the moment? I mean since you ledt us at my house?"

Listening to the reply, she added, "Yeh, it is rather hot up here but i like it. Cooler than the common room though!" She giggled at remebering the sight of the 1st years all suddenly crowding in the room.

Hollie smiled at Kate. "Fine thanks," she said, happily. "Or as fine as possible," she muttered, softly, to herself.
"urm.... ok thanks, we went on holiday to France as soon as dad picked me up from yours, and after I'd packed. That was awesome. Enjoyed every minute of it." she smiled warmly. "So did you go on holiday?"
"Really? Hotter than your common room? But Hufflepuff house is lower than Gryffindor - ours is probably hotter still! Though not as hot as here," she added, "this is higher up." If I've got my physics right... she thought, smiling. It seemed weird to her that they didn't study physics in the wizarding world - or science, for that matter. Or maths. Or English. Or a lot of things!

Kate shrugged, "No not really. We stayed at home and i went shopping but nothing else really. The common room is really hot because all the 1st years were in there when i left. There is never a minute peace this year. I came up here wanting some peace." She said absentmindedly. "But your company is great!" She added quickly not wanting to affend Hollie as she loved Hollie's company. Changing the subject she added, "So, who went on this holiday then? Was it fun? Did you speak French well?" She asked eager to find out details.

"Dad, Sam, Karl, Lucy, Madi et moi. Yeah it was awesome! Great to get away from all the heavy stuff at home." Then she realised she hadn't told Kate about that and steered the subject away from dangerous waters. "Yep, French was all good. C'est tres, tres bien." She laughed. "Anything else?"

Kate's puzzeled look appeared on her face and she asked,"Do you mean the break up at home?" She asked gently, not wanting to hurt Hollie with this tough subject. She smiled at Hollie's french and nodded, "Tes bien Hollie!" She giggled, steering the subject away. "What subjects have you had already then?" She asked again.

Kate smiled at Hollie and replied, "I have had History of Magic today and yesterday Potions. Our History of Magic teacher said that we didn't have to do much as it was the 1st lesson. Potions was cool and we did a review. What did you do? I have charms with you tomorrow." She said calmly as she let Tilly out of the window and watched the Tawny owl fly into the distance until she was merly a dot. Then the dot landed behind some houses and Kate smiled happliy in the knowing that Tilly had arrived.

Kate smiled at Hollie and replied, "I have had History of Magic today and yesterday Potions. Our History of Magic teacher said that we didn't have to do much as it was the 1st lesson. Potions was cool and we did a review. What did you do? I have charms with you tomorrow." She said calmly as she let Tilly out of the window and watched the Tawny owl fly into the distance until she was merly a dot. Then the dot landed behind some houses and Kate smiled happliy in the knowing that Tilly had arrived.

"Urm... what did I do in what? Transfiguration was taking notes and then a boring essay, which I haven't completed yet, Astronomy was an introduction to the year and a short essay about who you wanted to study that year, and Herbology was growing a daisy or something boring, with this really horrible new teacher. I swear he's not normal - he treats us like scum. Half the time he's a 'fake nice', and half the time he's awful! I swear he got the job by acting - I doubt he ever wanted to be a teacher. I can't believe the school hired him!" Hollie dropped the whinging because she knew it would do no good. "And we have charms today," she added, wrinkling up her nose. She really couldn't be bothered - it still felt like the holidays.

Kate smiled at Hollie, "I know the feeling. I hope the charms Professor doesn't give us too much stuff to do." She said thinking deeply. "Happy Birthday for tomorrow!" She exclaimed excitedly. "Thanks for the invite. I didn't deserve it! I hope you like what i have got you!" She laughed.

"Oh my gosh, really?" Hollie said, her mouth open. "I think I told a few people, but certainly not many and most of them left, anyway. I definitely didn't arrange a little party type thing!" She hesitated. "When is your birthday, anyway?" She felt bad she didn't know when her friend's birthday was.

Kate smiled and rumaged around in her little bag that she always had. Pulling out a little diary she nodded at Hollie, "It is my little calander, i keep people's birthdays at the back, Holidays and Brightstone weekends in the middle and a general calander of lessons in the front." She explained as she flicked quickly to the middle. Checking the May season she nodded gently and replied, "Yes it is open then. Would you like to come?" She was often told that she planned ahead to much but it helped her get organised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back