Window Shopping

Vanessa Parker

[Sorry about the title, I'm not too great at those.]

Vanessa was window shopping. She was wearing a plain pink t-shirt, a pair of jeans, and orange flip-flops. She was just looking around, seeing if anything jumped out of her. Actually, she just wanted to see if she could meet anyone nice. She couldn't think of anything that she needed to buy.

After walking around for a while, she spotted a girl who looked a little older than her. She walked over to the girl. "Hi, I'm Vanessa," she said, smiling.

Veronica had just come to NewZealand a week ago and she was already getting the impression that she liked this place better than the chilling walls of Dumstrang where she stayed all day long like a captive. Although she didn't like Dympna much but being home-schooled was something pleasing as she would be allowed to visit the village and harbor whenever she pleased.

One day as she was shopping in the Brightstone village, looking for some candies she spotted a friendly girl who introduced herself as Vanessa. Veronica really didn't understand why one would want to be friends with her. She smiled back, not really knowing why she did so and said "Hello, I am Veronica." She noticed many kids of her own age in the village today and she figured out that she must be attending the local school here. "Do you attend the school here?"she asked the girl.

"Nice to meet you, Veronica," Vanessa said, continuing to smile. "Yeah, I go to Hogwarts. I'm a Hufflepuff third year."

She hoped that her plan didn't backfire. It had when she had met someone at the library that she still didn't know the name of. Sometimes her eagerness to be friends with people backfired. Why, she didn't know. She was just being her normal friendly self.

"I am new in NewZealand. I used to study in Dumstrang and was doing my fifth year when I was brought here" she told Vanessa whom she wasn't able to figure out. What was the reason for her being so friendly with her? Did she need something? Well, if that was the case she wasn't going to get anything.

"What do you do in this village and for how long do you stay here?"
she asked the girl. If Vanessa was here, Veronica might as well know her a little and learn a few things about New Zealanders. "How come you are here alone?" Veronica questioned her eyes flashing for just a second, demanding the reason.

She had to know if the girl could harm her in any way. She didn't want to get in a row with her mother again and be locked up because she wasn't actually supposed to be in this village right now.She was supposed to be at home practicing her skills on blocking unfriendly curse and mastering some jinxes.

Vanessa answered all of the questions truthfully. She wasn't known for lying. She didn't have a reason for it. "Well, they let us go out and buy things and meet people who don't go to Hogwarts. They only give us the weekend, though. And I'm here alone because all my friends have gone to buy something, probably. I'm mostly window shopping. If you don't mid me asking, why aren't you with anyone at the moment?"

She was still being friendly, and didn't ask the question in an unfriendly manner. She just figured that she should know about this girl like Veronica knew Vanessa.

Veronica nodded on hearing Vanessa's reply. The girl was being entirely real and Ver spotted no harm in being friends with her. Ver did have a few friends back in Dumstrang but not all of them were nice to her. This girl seemed like she couldn't be anything else apart from nice and so Veronica let her guard down.

"Its a long story" Veronica said looking around her to see if anyone was eavesdropping. She wasn't revealing her whole life on the road but she did feel like telling someone what she had gone through and who better than this new friend. "Why don't we go to the bar and have a drink?" she offered Vanessa pointing at the broomsticks. "I can tell you everything about me" she said with a slight smile.

Veronica entered the bar and choose a table for them. After ordering two butterbeers she started off. "Well, I lived in Bulgaria, was born there. My father owned a restaurant there and was bit of drunkard. He never spoke of my mother and I schooled in Dumstrangs. A week ago he passed away due to some rare disease. The school authorities wouldn't allow me go meet him but instead my mother, whom I never knew came to take me to New Zealand" she told her story to Vanessa.

"She decided to home school me. She hasn't explained me her reasons for abandoning my father yet but I hope she soon does that because I want to know" she continued taking in a large ammounts of butterebeer. "She is evil in some secretive ways but I don't know much about that yet"

Vanessa listened as Veronica told the story of her life. It was interesting, but she figured that it must have been tough to live through. Her life had been normal, or at least the way she thought normal was supposed to be. She wasn't sure what to say, so she thought about it for a minute while she drank some of her butterbeer before saying, "Wow."

She decided that this hadn't been the right thing to say. "I mean, that's an interesting life."

"Yeah. It has been damn interesting and confusing for the past six months" she agreed thinking about what had happened between her and John. It was more than she could take. Sometimes she wondered how it was to have a normal life like everyone else with the perfect sister to share secrets with and the best guy to have a crush on and most important of all loving parents.

"You know my house, it was located in a small village in Rila mountains in Bulgaria. So apart from a few school trips and one visit to my friend's house in Bulgaria, I haven't seen civilized world. In my hometown its just like the stone age. Cutting firewood, having oil lamps, iron tools and nothing but beer and gossip in the night" she told Vanessa. "How about you here? Whom do you stay with in your holiday?"

Vanessa listened again. It seemed like Veronica hadn't had a normal life. Vanessa hadn't either. It was more normal than this girl's life, but not fully normal.

"Well, I used to live in Massachusetts in the United States," she said. "But my parents were only worried about working. I don't blame them, though. They're surgeons, they save lives. So not much time for me. My brother was worried about school, so he didn't do much with me, either. I only did things with friends. And my best friend who lives- I mean, lived in Massachusetts, passed away. They had cancer. I'm still a little mad at my parents for not telling me until after Wynstellle was... gone. So I stay here. I send letters and stuff, but I'd rather have them save someone and not reply than reply and have someone die."

Veronica listened to Vannessa's story. It wasn't as bad as hers but it did have pain and sadness. When one didn't have anyone they didn't expect anything but when one had family that wasn't interested in them, it was much more sad. "I'm sorry about your best friend" she told her and she really meant it. Although Veronica had a very few friends, all of them in Bulgaria but she could feel their absence from her life and could imagine how she would feel if anyone passed away.

"What about here in your school? Don't you have best friends and people to hang out with?" she asked.

Vanessa nodded. "It's okay," she said. "I'm over it, mostly. And yeah, I do have friends, but a lot of people find me as a pain. Some people just don't like friendly and nice people."

As she said that last sentence, she was reminded of all the people that had been mean to her. She hadn't seen anything as wrong. She had been her nice and friendly self.

(sorry for being late. I have big internet issues here)

Veronica held Vanessa's hand over the table and squeezed it affectionately. Although Veronica hardly cared about people, when she made friends she cared greatly about them. "I don't like over friendly people, but you are great" she said with a smile to her new friend.

"Let no one's thinking affect you. I am sure many people will like you as a friend and than you can show the ones that think you are a pain" she added as she took another sip of her butterbeer. "I'll write to you every week and we can see each other during your breaks.That way you will have a good friend" she offered with a grin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back