Who would have guessed?

Kali Paytah

Wand
Yew wand, 13 1/2" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Kali didn't really have to study. The exams were over and the break was one it's way. Of coarse she was staying at the school. Why would she want to put herself through the torture of staying home with her mother. Sure she would miss her sisters and such but Kali did not want to talk or even see her mother. After Kali's grandmother's death, her own mother was more annoying than ever.

Instead of going to the library to study, Kali entered the rather empty room with an issue of muggle teen vogue in her hand. After all as of this year she was a teenager, teen vogue was now for her. Sure Kali wasn't the most fashionable person in the world. One day she would wear clothes that a gothic would wear, then the next day she would be in a pink shirt with a long white skirt. Her fashion sense was off not because she didn't know what was in, but really because she didn't know who she was.

This third year Ravenclaw wasn't sure who she really was. This obviously was reflected by her fashion sense which today consisted of a long white shirt with rainbow leggings underneath. Her black hair was straightened to it's full shoulder length.

Sitting down on the chair, Kali crossed her legs as she opened up the fashion magazine keeping a library book near by just in case the librarian came about. Looking over the magazine Kali wondered if any of these styles would ever be for her.

Zazuka came into what she consitered her natural habat for one finall browse though the shelves. She must have been steeped in Warewolf lore a long time ago. Now she just seemed obsessed. She didn't mind it though. Anything to get this cure study on the way. Zazuka took out her usual twelve books off the shelf then went to a table. Zazuka never had a clue what was instyle or not because she never really bothered to look.

At the moment Zazuka was in a green jean skirt along with a what looked to be a egg yellow rain coat. The only thing off about the rain coat was that it was nitted. Pink stalking reached up to her knees while black boots with little butterflys as buckles covered alot of her lower legs. Her hair was done up in many knots each with yellow and green ribbons comeing off of it.

Zazuka sat and opened one of her books before realizing that there was someone there reading what looked like a magazine. Zazuka had never been allowed to look at anything like that her father saying that they gave girls 'daingerose thoughts'. That was one of the only things he did say to her that wasn't about how thin she was or what a monster she was or something else to make Zazuka feel like she wasn't wanted. "Is it intresting?" Zazuka asked as she pushed up her glasses to look at the back of the magazine.

Kali was looking at a certain article that said that leggings were finally coming back in style. "I never knew they were out of style" Kali muttered to herself as her eyes glanced down to the rainbow ones she was wearing shrugging off the thought. Maybe she would never find her style in the fashion magazine but at least she could say she was trying.

Flipping the page, Kali continued to read not noticing anyone sitting down until she heard a girl's voice. Wondering who would be in the library at this time, Kali looked up to see a girl who Kali was almost positive was in her year. "Hey" Kali said admiring the girl's outfit, it was different unique.

"The magazine?" Kali wondered if that was what the girl was asking about. Her eyes glancing back to the page for a moment before glancing back up to the girl. "It is actually interesting. I'm learning how lost I am really am in that fashion world" Kali admitted a smile falling onto her face.

"What are you reading?" She asked curiously.

Zazuka showed the girl the cover to her book. "Hairy snout, Human heart. It must be at least the three millionth time I've read it but if I could just get some clue out if it." She said shaking her head. Zazuka's back star lit eyes studied the girl for a moment. "Kali right? Your in our main classes and a Ravenclaw. I'm Zazuka." She said holding out her hand.

Zazuka tilted her head. "People care about that? Well I know that how I dress is wierd but I never sort of never knew there where entire sets of litriture devoted to it. I thought it was just something people knew." She said eyeing the magazine now. What ideas would she get from looking in there that would be so bad.

Truly it couldn't be as bad as the things she got from romance novels and they some times went beyond PG-13. Maybe she wasn't as broken out from Willow's Rain as she thought. Zazuka shook thouse thoughts out of her mind. "Well how lost are you really?" She asked as a light joke. If Kali was lost, Zazuka didn't even have the map to get back on corse.

Kali listened as the girl gave the title of the book. "I don't think I've even read it once" Kali admitted guessing that it had something to do with a werewolve or another creature. What else could that book be about. Though Kali had guessed about things like this and had been wrong before. "I'm guessing it's a good book if you've read it so many times"

Kali looked over the magazine page once more glancing at the different hair styles that they were displaying. Poofy hair seemed to be in. It wasn't really Kali's style to have her hair all poofy. Just another style she wouldn't be tuning in on.

Looking up once more to the girl. "Yeah it's Kali." Kali said nodding a bit surprised that someone remembered. Being anti social for so long sort of made her face fade into the past of everyone's minds. "Nice to finally have a conversation with you Zazuka" Kali said placing the magazine down for a moment as she reached out and shook the girl's hand.

"I guess people care about it" She said shrugging. "But there are plenty of magazines devoted to fashion and style. This is probably one of many" Kali explained. "I guess not everyone can come up with their own style" Kali said wishing that she was one of the few that could pick a style and stick with it.

Laughing a bit as Zazuka asked how lost Kali really was. "Let's just say I'm miles lost. Though maybe it's better to be lost" Kali said wondering if she believed that statement. Really she wasn't sure. One point for the confused Ravenclaw. "And I think you have a great sense of Style" Kali said nodding approvingly.

Zazuka smiled wide. Zazuka thought that maybe she would have been the same way if she had never meet Andy and Brian. Zazuka looked down at her yellow knitted jacket. "Really? I wouldn't know. I find almost everything I ware in second hand stores then modify it to how I want it to look. I've also made a few pieces. Nothing really great but it wareable." She said with a shrug. "I can also do hair well." She said flicking at one of the ribbons that had fallen to the side of her face.

"Nice to meet you on a personal level too. Why haven't we talked before? Then again there are may things to keep one busy at this school. Classes and such also boys if you can find one. There seems to be a shortage around here so girls either have to be quick or lucky." She said laughing softly. Zazuka curtenly felt lucky to have Andrew. He was a bit of a trouble maker but she loved him all the same. At thirteen is should have been impossible for her feel this way.

Zazuka shook her head. "If your miles lost I'm not even in the same atmospher." She said laughing again. Really she wasn't. Zazuka looked at her book then at Kali. "You can borrow it if you want. It's about a Warewolf named Lupin and his life. It was written by his son. I would love to have met him and asked him a few questions." She said her voice going more dreamy than normal. Zazuka was a dreamy girl by nature. It seems that this is what had indeared her to many of her friends. Zazuka had no clue to any of this though. She was who she was and she let it chainge with the winds that came.

Kali could tell that this girl was quite comfortable as she looked and what she wore. How nice that would be. Good thing Kali had a few years to figure out what her style was. It wasn't like now that she was a teenager that she needed to know who she was and what her certain style was. Maybe since she was now 13 going on 14 it just felt more important.

"Second Hand Stores" Kali said looking over the girls outfit once more. Indeed Kali could never tell the difference between items brought at an expensive store compared to a second hand shop. Really Kali had gotten all her school supplies at the second hand store. It didn't bother her in the least, unlike her mother who thought expensive clothes showed more class. "Well you must have an eye for things like that than" Kali said glancing once more at the magazine.

Though Kali thought about why Zazuka and her hadn't met before. "Yeah I guess school has been hectic." Kali said smiling slightly as Zazuka mentioned boys as well. "Well I guess I was neither" Kali admitted not really finding that a problem. She had time to find someone if need be. "You're dating that Slytherin Andrew right" Kali asked. Sure she didn't know too many people but she was caught up with the gossip and such.

Laughing a bit as Zazuka said she was lost in a different atmosphere. "I might take you up on that offer" Kali said referring to the book that Zazuka offered to let her read. "I guess that it would be interesting to ask Lupin's son a few questions. Though the whole werewolve concepts sort of creeps me out" Kali admitted.

Zazuka whinced a little. She knew that it was a bit of a subject that no one liked to talk about but really it had to be talked about. "I know a warewolf. And anyway someday soon it will be no big deal. I'm doing research so I can someday make a cure for the warewolf curse." She said a little pride in her voice. Zazuka did know what it was like to be uncofterble in her own skin but that seemed like ages ago. She liked who she was now. Kali seemed little like she didn't know how to be that yet. It was ok though people didn't need to know themselves so soon.

Zazuka laughed a little bit. "Really I just buy whatever I think looks intreasting. I like intresting things. I once picked up a stone because it looked a bit like a dragon's head. I kept it for a very long time until one of my brothers took it from me and traided it for a stick of gum. Not a nice thing to do but since he was older than me there wasn't much I could do at the time." She said with a sigh. Maybe it was the holidays coming by soon but she was starting to think of the family that didn't want her.

Kali had mentioned Andrew making Zazuka start to glow a little bit. "Yes I am. He's really a nice person if not a little mischevios but isn't that what people our age are soppoed to be like?" She asked laughing a bit. "I almost lost a friend because of it thought. It was really terrable but we managed to sort it out." She said with a sigh. It would have crushed Zazuka if she had lost Brian. "You'll find someone. There are some tranfers coming in all the time now. I'm sure that they'll be a third year or even a fourth year that will catch your eye." She said with an incurageing smile. Kali was pretty in Zazuka's eyes. She would more that cutanly have better luck soon.

Kali guessed that she was touching on a difficulte subject as Zazuka said she knew a werewolve. Now that was some information that Kali hadn't known. "A cure" Kali said smiling brightly once more. "That sounds like a great goal" Kali added wondering if it was possible. Even if it wasn't now it could always be in the future and if not at all, Kali wasn't going to be the one to break Zazuka's hopes. That would be more than just evil.

"Traded it for a stick of gum" Kali repeated shaking her head at the thought "What a waste of a nice stone. I remember my younger sister picked up a heart shaped rock once and gave it to me as a gift. I still have it" Kali said for some reason knowing that Zazuka wouldn't find it odd, or at least Kali hoped she wouldn't find it out. Now a days, that heart shaped rock was a good luck charm that reminded her of her only sister that seemed to like her.

Though as Zazuka seemed to almost glow at the mention of Andrew, Kali couldn't but wish that someday she would experience that same feeling. "Well at least he won't ever be boring" Kali said thinking that she really didn't know much about Andrew other than that fact that he was in their year and in Slytherin.

"I take it your friend wasn't happy with a Ravenclaw dating a Slytherin" Kali guessed. She seemed to be making a lot of assumptions. Kali never really understood why people made too big deal of houses and intermiggling. That was just how it was, others just had to deal with it.

When Zazuka said that Kali would find someone, she couldn't help but roll her eyes. "I guess we will just have to cross our fingers for that one" Kali said "There aren't many third years and most the transfers seem older..."Kali said breaking off as she thought about all the transfers. Shrugging as she turned her gaze once more into the magazine artical.

Zazuka could almost see the doubt. She didn't mind. She knew that many before had tried and failed but if it weren't for impossible hopes and dreams then not even the Wolfbane potion would have been discovered. "I know I can do it. I have done alot of reading and I think a muggle's touch in required to really find it. A sort of blend between wizarding potions and muggle bio-chemesty." She said her voice again going dreamy with thought. She could do it she knew she could.

Zazuka nodded at the next part. "My brothers never liked me. I never knew why. It was probobly because my father never liked me much. Went as far as disowing me when I said I was going to come to Hogwarts. He didn't want a witch in the family you know." She said shrugging. Zazuka was not good at making it seem like it didn't bother her. "Tell me more about your sister. Is she the only one or do you have others, do you have brothers as well?" She asked almost all at once but then stoped. She knew that people didn't like to be bombarded with questions.

Zazuka sighed. "Had it been anyone else he wouldn't have minded but he hate Slytherins, says they are all Death Eaters in training but that's not true. Andrew wants to be an Auror when he gets out of Hogwarts." She said she said matter afactly. She had gotten into the habbit of defending Andrew from time to time. It was as if they could say anything about her but not about Andrew.

Zazuka shook her head at the disbelief. "Well the last one I knew of was Aries. Yes he was a Drumstrang, fouth year but he also seemed deasent enough. Though it seems like that little insedent with him and my best friend Andy has made both of them lock themselves in ther rooms." She said with a soft sigh. She missed Andy so much now it wasn't even funny. One of this days she would find a way to get her down and see that she couldn't be hurt at Hogwarts.

Kali knew the feeling of having a family that really didn't care for you. Really Kali's grandmother was the only one that really understand this teenage Ravenclaw. Now that her grandmother was cut out of the picture and forgotten by everyone in the family except Kali, the world seemed just a bit lonely. Though Kali had to admit that she looked up to the sky every once and awhile smiling at her grandmother above.

"Muggles seem to find it hard to understand Hogwarts. My mother wanted me to go to some private school instead. She said the private school would help me." Kali said shrugging the whole situation off. It didn't bother her too much. Kali's mother was always too uptight and overbearing. Really it was nice that her mother didn't speak to her anymore. Out of anger or fear or just because of it, Kali didn't care.

As Zazuka started to ask questions, a few of them, Kali organized her thoughts as much as she could, taking her eyes off the magazine and onto the fellow Ravenclaw. "I have two sisters. Opa is the oldest and Tansy is still a little one" Kali said knowing quite well that Tansy was growing up, getting so much bigger daily. Opa on the other hand was almost old enough to attend hogwarts, hopefully she would be able to.

"How many brothers do you have?" Kali wondered catching that Zazuka did use the world plural meaning more than one of coarse. "But no I don't have any brothers. My poor father is stuck in a house of all girls" Kali said letting out a small laugh. Even the cat they had at home was female. sometimes Kali did feel bad for her father, that was probably why he worked so much, to get out of the house. Kali couldnt' blame him, really she would do the same thing.

Kali couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she listened to Zazuka speak about Andrew. It was sweet. Some day, Kali might be able to speak highly of someone. Maybe she wouldn't. Time could only let her in on that.

"Well maybe we will get more transfers next year" Kali said not knowing what difference that would do. In her mind her relationship status was more than hopeless. "Either way" Kali said adding yet another shrug as her eyes moved to the magazine flipping the page contently. "This magazine makes me want to shop so much" Kali said with an airy laugh. With all this items of both clothing and acessories, Kali couldn't help but want to go out and attempt to get something like them

Zazuka listened and nodded as Kali talked. Her family seemed to try and rule her. There where times when she wished that where the case. Her family, her father especially didn't want her. They didn't want a witch, they didn't want 'servant for the devil' as they called it. They had not spoken to her in three years bordering on four. The only family she Zazuka had now where the friends that she had made here. She was happy for all of them.

Zazuka nodded once more. "Well muggles go out of their way to ignore or find an explanation for magic when sometime there is none. Magic can be explained to a cutan point then it's all a matter of faith. Most muggles lack the imagination and belief required to really understand magic." Zazuka said then put her hand over her mouth laughing. "Listen to me I sound like a text book!" She exclaimed laughing again. Zazuka shook her head and calmed down enough to talk again.

"I have two brothers both older than me. Gabriel and Michael. Gabriel should be about..." She trailed off. How old would her oldest brother be at the moment. She was already starting to forget details like that. Maybe there would come a time when she didn't remember them all that much. Maybe one day the rejection would stop hurting. "Wow 20 years old. Michael would be 18 now I think. They where both big burly and seemed to always want to use me as their punching bag. I could always out smart them though. That's not saying much really. They where both strong but, I'm sad to say, not all that smart." She said with a soft sigh.

Zazuka laughed again and nodded. "Let's hope so but we're still young there will plenty of time for things like this. I'm consider myself very lucky to have Andrew." She said her sigh this time was a happy one. "I could help you you know. I promise I won't make you look like me." She said when Kali said she wanted to shop. Zazuka didn't often do things like that but she was good at it from what she had gathered.

Kali wondered more into what Zazuka's story was about but really she didnt' want to ask. There was something in her eyes that just shown that she wasn't over whatever had happened with her family. Deciding to dismiss it, Kali made yet another flip of the magazine she was reading, longing more and more to actually stop reading about the latest fashions and go shopping for actually just about anything she wanted.

Though when Zazuka began speaking, Kali looked up for a moment wondering if she was reciting something that she was reading. Instead that was common knowledge that she was speaking. "Yeah you're right though" Kali said thinking how she would never have believed in magic if the letter had never come. That would have been an entirely different life. That life, Kali didn't even want to imagine.

"Sounding like a text book is the Ravenclaw curse though" Kali said laughing a little bit at this as if she had said something funny. Really lately she had met a few Ravenclaws that she would have doubted were compared to the former years. Maybe the sort hat was getting lack or maybe Kali was just getting a bit too judgemental.

Zazuke began to list off her two brothers branching off into silence as she couldn't remember their ages. Even Kali had to think about how old her two sisters were. They were just difficult to remember. But Kali guessed it wasn't just a lack of memory that made it hard. Again not wanting to get into it she bit her tongue. "I bet you miss them from time to time" Kali said her voice soft for a moment wondering if that statement should have been said at all.

"Now that offer may be on I have to take you up on" Kali said not having been shopping in the longest time. "I think it would be fun and maybe I could learn a thing or two" Kali said smiling wondering if the offer was true or if Zazuka was just be overly nice.

Zazuka didn't hide the marks anymore because they where mostly all gone. There was something left though. The forever black burn mark on her back from the iron cross that had been pressed into her right shoulder blade. Zazuka couldn't look at it and when ever she had to ware something small or strapless she always put up the glamer so no one else could look at it eather. It was her past. She didn't want to dwell on it for too long.

Zazuka shook her head. "It's kind of hard to miss the two that thought it would be funny to see how long thier little sister could stay under water. If it hadn't been for an air bubble that popped up out of nowhere I could have drowned." She said remembering that day. It had been on her birthday too. She guessed it was one of the signs of magic that had slipped out that had saved her that day. Zazuka shook her head to let go of the memories of a past she would rather not have had.

"I would think so but some of the new hatchlings don't seem like Ravenclaws at all. Then again one can have more than one carecterisic of a house. The trate of a Ravenclaw is wisdom not knowlage." She said thinking about what the discription of a Raveclaw truly was. Wisdom, wit, and a nimble mind. She had two out of the three not thinking herself very witty at all. Zazuka stopped herself before her mind went on another tangent. It usually tended to wonder from subjet to suject with no stops inbetween.

Zazuka laughed with her hand over her mouth some. "Oh really I don't think I would be much of a help if you didn't want to look like a rainbow. Oh wait!" She said and took out something from her bag. She had been working on a clip that looked like a fair sized blue rose. The middle would bend to let the clip be put into the hair. She had been working on it for her but she had found a better us for it. "Here it's like the one I spotted in the book. I made it actually." She said giving it to Kali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back