Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex stared at the house in front of him. It was a simple one, not grand or anything like everyone elses' that he knew seemed to be. And for a second, he was so grateful he could cry. Finally, he wasn't the only one out of his friends who did not flaunt money around. But he knew it would probably best to forget her after this night. He did not know what he had done wrong, because she had just left looking hurt and it had caused him to worry all night long at what happened that he missed.
He bunched his fists up. How was she able to make his worry all night long with just one expression? He hated how she could do this to him. And she didn't care twice it seemed. Not one reply to the letters he sent out. Unless...no. Who ever heard of an owl failing to deliver a message. That was foolish talk. Speaking of talk...argh. He needed to talk to her, wait, not even talk, just hear her voice again. Just once more and then he would go out her life just as she wanted.
Staring again at the house in front of him, he saw a light getting switched off in a room on the third floor. That had to be her room, or at least he hoped it would be. He did not want the police onto him again. Avoiding trouble for 8 years was a pretty big achievement for him and he didn't want to break it again. Walking backwards onto the road, he sighed. Would she be asleep now? It was pretty late. Past midnight in fact. So why was he still awake?
Shrugging the cold off him, he picked up a couple of small stones in one cupped hand. Here goes nothing, he thought, his rebel side taking over him as he threw a precisely aimed stone at the centre of the window. Tap, tap, tap.

It had been another long day, another to add to the endless stream of them that seemed to be now piling up outside her door. Each one as bland as the one before. Her friends from Durmstrang had invited her to spend some of the vacation with them but for some reason she had merely fobbed them all off. With NEWTs approaching she had decided to get a head start on everyone which was utter madness of course but she couldn't help it. When she went out it was to run into people like Robin who simply reminded her time and again of Alex.

She had tried to talk with Corinne about it all but nothing helped, Corinne had thought she was in love once but she had been a teenager then so in Moko's view did not have enough experience to help her. After bidding goodnight to Samson she had headed up to her room, Corinne was working late at St. Mungo's again. The woman never stopped and not for the first time did Morrigan contemplate that she could end up just like her guardian in another few years. Loveless and lonely, living only for her career. Ok so she wasn't lonely because she had her father and Moko but in her opinion Corinne was still very young and had every opportunity to find the perfect man, she just ... didn't. Snuggling up in her bed with book in hand she attempted to read but as the minutes ticked into an hour she realized she had been reading the same paragraph over and over. Putting the book away she switched off her light and slid down beneath the covers to stare at the ceiling as she had so many times before.

He had hurt her, there was no getting away from that. He had not bothered to come after her or write to her, nothing. So that in her mind was that, all settled down and dusted. With a sigh she rolled over on to her side and closed her eyes hoping for sleep to come soon when a tapping sounded at her window. She ignored the first one but then there was another. Moko sat upright and looked in that direction when another distinct tap was heard. Quickly glancing at her door she could hear Samson's loud snores coming from the floor above, so slipping out of bed she drew back her curtain and looked down into the street.

She wasn't sure if it was a trick of the moonlight or if she had simply imagined him, but Alex Cullen seemed to be standing on the road. Opening up the window she looked at him with a puzzled gaze still not sure if she was imagining him.
"Alex?" she would wait until he spoke at least then she would know that it wasn't her heart playing some cruel trick again.

Alex had only thrown a total of three stones at the window and yet there had been no answer. His heart sank a little and he frowned slightly. Maybe she didn't live here. Maybe he had gotten the home of a deaf person instead. Getting ready to throw one more stone at the window before heading off, the curtains swung open. He smiled brightly, his white teeth showing against his tan he had permanently now since living in Jamaica.
And her voice sounded through the night air, as sweet as ever. 'Moko, is that you?' he whispered loudly. He had no idea why. There wasn't even anyone around this quiet town. He glanced round before looking back up at her. Speaking a little louder, his crooked smile appeared on his face.
'Moko, we need to talk. Can I please come up? I'm so so sorry for the graduation,' though I have no idea what I did. He looked at the wall, seeing the vines and grooves in the wall that made the path up to her room perfectly. It's as if the builders knew this would be happening. Please let me talk with you, he pleaded mentally, looking up constantly. Even when she was just awake, she looked as good as ever. And no, he was not falling for her if that what you're thinking. No, no. Quite the opposite really. He didn't want to lose her. That's all.

As she looked out the window the blast of cold night air hit her, her long brown hair tumbling down one side as if she were some princess from a fairy tale and she was locked away in a high tower. But she was far from a damsel in distress, Moko eyed him suspiciously wondering what he could possibly have to say to her at this ridiculous hour.

Even his apology sounded off as if he had no clue what he had done wrong. Pride made her stick her chin out a little as she debated the situation in her mind, then shaking her head she pulled herself in and closed the window. Shutting the curtains and sighing. Picking up a warm travelling robe to cover the white cotton nightdress she wore, Morrigan carefully opened her door and on silent feet treaded downstairs.

Gently she opened the front door so as not to wake any of the house then closing the door but leaving it on the latch she walked on bare feet down to where he stood. Wrapping her arms about her to keep warm she wished she had presence of mind to put slippers on at least but where Alex was concerned that usually went out the window.
"What is it Alex, what do you need to talk to me about?"

Alex kept a look on Moko's expression as she thought over what she said. She had stuck out her chin as if she thought she was superior to him, which he took in defeat. She was a better person that him and for once, he wasn't going to deny it.
He looked down as she shook her head and shut the window. He sighed. Well, at least he had heard of voice once more. Turning round, he faced the other side of the road, wondering why a car hadn't come down the road yet and run him over like he obviously deserved. He must of hurt her something horrible.
He covered his face with his hands, a frown on his face, annoyed at himself. What had he done wrong? He racked his brain trying to remember what he had done that afternoon.
He had even complimented her on how she looked, something he never really did. Then he had shown her to his friends and they had stated talking. He had just guessed Moko had been shy when she wasn't speaking. And then she had just gone, without a hint of what was wrong.
A voice sounded behind him and he jumped before turning round. He frowned at her. Was this his mad mind playing with him again. It couldn't be Moko, she had slammed the window on him. He sighed. 'Moko. Please tell me what I did wrong. You never replied to my letters. And I don't care if you hate me and never want to see me again. Just please tell me what I did and then you'll never hav to see me again,' his voice hurt with the annoyance and hate radiated from her. he did not bother masking his feelings. What would be the point? He'd never be seeing her again so it didn't matter.

She stood there arms akimbo shivering in the cold, disbelieving her eyes and wanting nothing more than to touch him but restraining herself. It wasn’t fair, how could she get over him if he just kept sweeping back in whenever he felt like it. For some reason he was the one sounding hurt, as if she had wounded him somehow. At that moment her hand wanted to touch him alright, wanted to smack his pristine face so hard for the humiliation she had felt that night.

“What you did wrong? Alex! You used me. I heard half the girls that night talking about how jealous you were of … Ki.. Kiera and James, how I was only eye candy in order to get Kiera back. You even told me yourself that you wanted to show me off to your friends. I kissed you and you did nothing. You said nothing but as soon as I agreed to be ‘shown off’ you couldn’t wait to get me around the floor. You introduced me to your ex-girlfriend without even warning me that was who she was!” the pain and humiliation were rife in her own voice as she looked at him.

She had shopped like an absolute fool for the perfect dress, she had gone to so much trouble to look good because she had wanted to make a good impression on his friends and family and because she had wanted to look good for him. When he had told her that he had invited no one else, Moko had been thrilled. Saddened too but overwhelmed that she had been his only guest which was why she had then kissed him. But she could understand why he had no one else to invite now if that was how he treated those who cared for him.

“I went to so much trouble for you …you hurt me Alex… just forget it” the sob tore from her and she hated herself for it, she had to get out of there before she broke down in tears completely. A girl had to have some pride. Turning on cold feet she slowly made her way back across the street.

Alex frowned as he was told what the girls had said that night. He didn't even know that. Argh, I hate them all so much. Just because I had chosen someone much better than those sluts. And who said he was jealous of Kiera and James. He wasn't jealous. Maybe envious that James had won but he was over that now. He knew that Kiera's decision was final since she said yes on that weekend in Brightstone.
He winced as he heard the hurt in her voice before a sob was heard. He didn't mean to hurt her. He never wanted to hurt her. Why couldn't he say those damn words. He just stood there like an idiot accepting the beating to his heart, frozen at this. No wonder she hated him. He shouldn't of brought her to graduation. Not with his past at that school for a player. How stupid could you get?
As she started turning away, he had to say something. or at least do something. 'Moko, no-' he called out grabbing her and stopping her from going far. He looked into her eyes, his eyebrows drawn down. 'Y-you don't understand.' he told her, shaking his head. 'I'm not jealous of them. I got over her a long time ago. We're just friends now. There was no need to warn you because there was nothing to warn you of. Those girls are nothing. They were jealous of me and Kiera for a long time, just getting their back because I chose someone so much better than them when there was a chance for them to get me. I'm sorry you had to here their stupid plight.' he gushed it all out in one go before she could leave. He sighed. He didn't know how to explain the fact that he wasn't showing her off in that way.
'I-I-I'm sorry for the rest. I just wanted my friends to see how beautiful you really were, how nice a person you were. I don't know. I thought you would of liked my friends but it seemed not. I was a jerk as usual. I'll eh go now so you can get back in the warm,' he told her, running a hand through his hair, the troubled look still on his face. His grip loosened on her before he slipped in back into his pockets. Giving her a weak smile he stepped back from her waiting for her to do something.

She had barely made it half way across the street when her reached her, grabbing her and stopping her from getting any further. Their eyes locked and he spoke. Moko listened but could barely concentrate. He was standing too close to her again, his hands on her arms as if there was no other place for them to be. Trying desperately to shake all these crazy thoughts that swirled in her head, all connected with him she attempted to focus on what he was saying. Her ego could very easily go about like a proud peacock with the things he was saying but her heart would not let her.

He moved his hands from her and even through the fabric of the robes she could feel the cold that the absence of them left. Her deep brown eyes watched as he took a step backwards. He was going again, leaving her and that was supposed to be that?
"I did like a lot of your friends" her voice was hushed, just slightly above a whisper, "I ..." her petulant side came out and jealousy won over, "I just didn't like her, how you were around her. You became like a different person, smiling and joking. With me you were just all quiet and almost moody or that's how you came across. Alex you barely said two words to me the whole night besides telling me how good I looked."

Moko was throwing caution to the wind as she took a step towards him breaking the distance again so they were so very close to one another once more. She could almost feel his breath on her face, "yes you were a jerk".

She wanted him to say something more anything, had he only come here to satisfy his own curiousty so his ego would not be bruised? She had to know.
"What do you want from me Alex? Why are you here?" her gaze moved to his mouth as if her chocolate brown orbs could seriously not help themselves. A slight shiver convulsed her slender frame but she didn't care, she had to know once and for all.
"Alex?"

Alex's smile fell at the corners as she said he was always moody with her. Well, how else was he meant to be? Whenever he had told her jokes, she had taken them seriously and ended up trying to battle it out and whenever he was serious, it seemed she wanted him to be all smily.
No, he had no idea how to act round her. But his pride prevailed him to say that in front of her. That would just make him seem useless. She'd just have to accept that that was what he was.
'But, she and I have always been like that. It's just how we are. I taught her how to have fun and she taught me how to be a prefect. You don't understand how much I have to be in front of other people. This is me Moko and if you don't like it, I'm sorry.' he sighed, before shrugging his shoulders.
Alex watched as Moko made the distance bewteen them smaller. He frowned, confused. Hadn't she wanted to escape him seconds ago? He glanced down at her perfect face, having to control himself when her smell hit him. Why did she always do this to him? He was only a teenage boy after all.
He shook his head. 'I don't want anything Moko from you. I came here to apologize and tell you you don't ever have to speak to me again if you don't want to.' He looked back down, unable to help himself lean slightly closer. But he stopped himself before he did anythign they'd both regret. 'You'll catch a cold you will.'

The boy was either completely clueless as to her feelings for him or simply didn't care enough about her.Either way the way he spoke about his ex-girlfriend caused the green eyed monster to rear it's ugly head. So he had been trying to teach the precious Kiera how to have fun.

"Is that something you do with all the girls Alex? Because you seem to be laboring under the impression that I am in need of some fun as well. Were you going to teach me?" her voice was as cold as her feet now, they were reddened from the bitter ground beneath her. She should have at least brought her wand with her, she could have warmed them up then. Listening as he told her that she didn't ever have to speak to him again her eyes widened. For a brief moment she had even imagined he might kiss her but how wrong she was there.

"If I don't want to talk to you ever again? If I don't like you?" exasperated she raised her voice an octave, "Alex Cullen, I am crazy about you but you're too damned .... stupid to see it or even care. Everything you have ever said to me or done, has effected me. I wouldn't change you for the world."
There was nothing left for her to do, she had quite literally ripped her heart out and held it up to him yet somehow she knew it was all useless.

Morrigan stepped back again, the spark seeming to dull from her brown eyes.
"The only cold I am catching is from standing so close to you. You've a heart of ice Alex. Maybe someday someone will penetrate it but it clearly isn't me" the thought came to her that he was still harboring hope to be with his ex-girlfriend somehow but she refrained from saying so.
"Goodbye Alex" this time she turned and on bitterly cold feet attempted to run but they were too cold and hurt just to move them. Pride made her continue though until she made it to the door of her home.

Alex shook his head. 'That's not the same at all Moko. And you know it,' he replied annoyed. Why was she turning everything into what he said bad? He was trying to explain but she wasn't even letting her. He bit his tongue as she started yelling at him. He loved the sound of her voice and all but he couldn't understand why he was yelling at her.
He knew he was a jerk, like that could be helped, but now she was yelling at him for doing something he thought was pretty much impossible. He frowned before scratching the back of his head confused. His expression turned to one of utter failure. Shoot, he cursed in his head as he watched Moko walk back to the house.
He knew he should of stopped her, tell her how much he loved her right there and then and tell her how crazy he was about her but something held him back. And it wasn't till she got to the door that he knew what it was. Fear. He was a player. Born and raised. He couldn't do anything to stop that. And he knew Moko deserved better than him. But the real reason was the whole fear of a relationship again. After Kiera, his proper relationship, he was too scared to ever go in another one. He had messed it up so badly, he was afraid he'd do it again with Moko, and hurt her like he had hurt every other girl.
No, for Moko's own good, he kept his feet placed firmly on the ground. With a deep sigh, he watching the retreating form before walking up the road, his head hung low. He couldn't just leave though without saying anything. It wasn't fair, or maybe, he just wanted to do it for his own selfish needs. Taking a pen, he found a sheet of paper in a Telephone box. Looking at the back, he scribbled a note down onto it. His last words for a long time he hoped. Walking back down to the house, he dropped it through the letter box and apparated back to his home to catch a good run to clear his mind.
Moko, I'm sorry. But one day you'll see you deserve better than me. Have a good life, Alex.

As painful as each step was for her to walk from the road side to her front door, with each step she hoped he would stop her but he never did. By the time she had reached the front entrance with her back to him as pride would not allow her to look back, the tears had already begun to fall. Her hand was shaking so much that she could barely open the door still he did not say anything, still he did not come after her. She was devastated. Closing the door behind her, she crumbled in a pathetic heap on the floor. Her sobs wracked her body so bad and the noise of her crying woke her guardian.

Samson walked hesitantly down the stairs, aghast at what he saw he did not admonish her for being out of bed but instead gathered her in his arms and brought her to her room. With his wand he healed her ice cold feet and warmed her up, then tucking her into her bed watched over her for a moment before leaving. They would have plenty to discuss when she was ready to talk. Moko lay silently in her bed when a note came fluttering to her, she read it once then balled it up and tossed it across the room. How dare he think she deserved better, how did he know what she deserved. With fresh tears she cried herself to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back