What Silence Does to You

Simon Blackmoore

What Silence Does to You​
Set: Yorkshire, England
Date: October 10, 2021.
POV: Simon Blackmoore

Why are we still in England? thought Simon, despair leeching away at any indifference he might have conjured for this unfortunate situation. ‘Unfortunate’ was the word the lawyers used, but ‘A Situation of the Vilest Familial Honor Desecration’ was his phrase of choice. Was that right? He tapped his pencil on the notepad irritably, scribbling over old poetry and favourite descriptions of divorce that he entertained his siblings with. This one hit the nail on the head. Together, the six children tried valiantly to think of the entire situation as a joke or an adventure. Little Artemis understood divorce least of all of them, but she understood better than most nine year olds ever could. She still cried frequently and held onto their eldest brother Gregory, and it broke their hearts to see her pixie face crumple like a squashed tomato and sob messily into his shirt. It was no wonder that she chose to cry on to Greg, for he was the sweetest and mildest of them all and she was the loudest and most boisterous. They seemed to compliment each other. If she hadn’t been crying on him then she’d have been crying on Father; but even Art could see there was no point doing that when Father cried on the lawyers.
Simon smirked at that image, but it was a sad to think that it wasn’t too far from the truth. He’d not seen any of the tears that Father had shed, but he had certainly noticed the decline in intellectual conversation from the usually jolly but clinical doctor. Even worse was the time when Father had moved through the living room and into the kitchen, leaving a very shaken Dierdre with a tear stained patch on her shoulder. Every son and daughter had stared at their father’s walk of shame and blushed when Artemis exclaimed 'Lordy, Dier’s! He’s used yer blouse as a hand-ker-chief!'. Bess and Connie had bundled Art into their arms and carted her off to play dress ups, while Simon held Dierdre as she cried onto his shirt. Their parents divorce was becoming quite messy. His only consolation was the hope that he could perturb them with laundry bills.
Simon almost leaped out of his skin when a crash from below made the floor tremor. He leant forward and buried his head into his folded arms, spreading shavings of graphite onto his face. Either their mother had broken another plate whilst doing a very vigorous and unnecessary washing-up, or Artemis was throwing a tantrum and they’d all better get down there quick before the kitchen was destroyed. A second crash followed the first and Simon dragged himself out of his padded leather chair and slouched downstairs to survey the damage. He was overtaken by the frantic twins as they bumped and bustled each other down the stairs to reach the scene of devastation and subdue their no-doubt irate little sister. Simon was in less of a hurry, knowing that Gregory was the strongest of them all and could handle Artemis better than the rest.
“I’ll not go to New Zealand!” he heard Art bellow, followed by the sound of splintering wood. “I won’t! Stupid place, full of sheep! ‘Ye think it’s a replacement fer England, but it ain’t and I shan’t go!”. Simon distinctly heard the found of flesh on flesh and a small ‘oomph’ from Gregory, and he rolled up his sleeves and entered the fray.
“Gerroff, ya bastard!”
“Artemis, lovely, calm dow- ouch!”
“Stinky old New Zealand!”
“Maybe she’ll respond to pepper spray...”
“Connie!”
“It’s just a suggestion,”
“C’mon, think ‘ye can take me? Have at thee!”
“Art ‘ye mad hatter, stop
Simon parted the tide with his forearms and reached Artemis in record time. Everyone except for Art fell silent with relief, and Simon swooped in and picked up his furiously air-battling sister by the waist and began the long journey up the stairs. Every so often he would pause to rearrange his sister, who would squirm in and out of his grip and pummel whatever she could reached with two bony fists. Five minutes later they collapsed on Simon’s bed, his strong arms still pinning his sister but soon realising that it was no longer necessary. Artemis had begun to cry, and her tiny arms around his waist certainly made up for his black eye.
“It’s not fair,” she sobbed. Simon swallowed and clenched his eyes shut to force his own tears away.
“How can ‘ye love someone fer thirty years, th-then just buggerin’ decide t-t-to cart yer-” her breath hitched and she gave a great snuffle. “-cart yer kids to the other side ‘o the world ‘cause ‘ye don’t like the omelettes she makes anymore or summat?”
“Oh, Art.” mumbled Simon into her tangled brown hair. There was a shuffle at the doorway, and Simon looked up to see his other four siblings slumped lankly against the door frame; Bess and Connie with identical looks of desolation, Gregory and Deirdre with restrained anguished. Simultaneously they moved in with some sitting on the floor and some on his bed, to hold each other as the outpouring of grief had the tears falling all at once. Even Gregory was sobbing, holding on to whatever sister was in reach and keeping them close. No one moved away.
Eventually a miserable silence filled the room sluggishly, broken only by Art’s whimpers from where she was now buried in the crook of Greg’s arm. Her tear stained face unashamedly revealed itself, and she looked up at her brother with those enormous hazel eyes.
“I’ll never see ‘ye again, will I?”
The silence continued unbroken, and Simon dropped his head onto Dierdre's shoulder. No one had anything to say.

END

Feel free to comment below.​

Is crying -sobs- I'm your number one fan! If you ever write a book please please please! I beg you please tell me if you do! I want it >,<!! Bravo Art! Bravo :hug:

That's very nice of you to say ^_^ Thank you. I've never thought of writing as a career, I'm too nervous xD

I think this was written at ... 1:30am yesterday morning, so I didn't expect it to turn out well. Hence why it is obsessively edited. Thanks you, though. It means a lot. :)

Than you should reconsider. Not many can perfect a character accent so well by the way its written. Its really lovely, its why I adore Arts character. Lol ^^
Word of advice, a professor once told me this; make usb(to save file) your friend! Its better than carrying lots of journal of your writing or saving it onto just one computer. No matter how long it will take you to write a book its always save for whenever inspiration magically appear! :D

True, true. Generally I don't bother since I'm not taking these bits of writing anywhere. Generally my saved files are temporary, for I only write when it's going to be posted somewhere on the internet where I can find it again.

Thank you, once again. Art's one of my favourite characters, too. In fact, all of the Blackmoore's and Yearling's are. I'm beginning to love Simon, too. xD

Wow *sniffs* That's so sad! Awwww.

You should continue this. It's really good, and I don't just say that. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back