What Inspired Your Character’s Name?

Somehow I think I got lazier with names and yet also spent more time agonising.

Miranda Dawes - It was a name tossed around in my head for ages, then when she showed up on a drive home I married them up, made her dad a English literature lecturer with a love of Shakespeare, then she got Sophia as a middle name from her history nerd mum. I knew I wanted something literary for her surname too, but not as overtly classical as some of my others, so I ended up with Dawes, after Rufus Dawes from For The Term Of His Natural Life. I did consider a couple of other Shakespearean heroines but Miranda felt the most fitting.

Hadrian Murphy - I got very much stuck on the 'classic Roman names common in the magical world' but for some reason Murphy just stuck. I also considered some of the virtue names after the Spam discussion but classical Roman just felt like it fit more. Literally just 'it fit the vibe'. :lol:

Michael Watson - I touched on this before but I retooled his birthday a bit to land on Michaelmas, and originally was named for the archangel. (He's pretty glad it's not Uriel). His middle name, Erasmus, was to be something a bit more wizardy and old fashioned to counter his fairly generic muggle name. Watson just also was one of those 'feels about right' choices.

I have a google doc with my characters listed, it's badly maintained and mostly exists for me to try and keep track of PBs because I always forget. But I do have a list of names to maybe use, as well as characters I need to make (usually me brainstorming and not being 100% ready to commit to them yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back