Wet and Cold and Waiting for Help

Artemis Tuuri

(( You guys can start here. Technically I'm still at the lake-side, so I'll wait for someone to come and get me. You two carry on.)

Alexis saw the hospital wing emerge around her. She was still being carried. She hoped help would arrive soon.

((wow short post))

Finally arriving at the Hospital Wing, Cyril laid the girl down on the bed as he panted slowly, his hands on his knees. Sprinting around the lake, doing CPR and bringing a girl up to the Hospital Wing without rest was truly a tiring thing. He flicked his wand at an empty jar under the bed, and blue flames appeared in it. Placing a lid on the jar, he put the jar on the girl's chest, and put the girl's hands around it. She wouldn't feel too hot, not with the jar insulating the heat. He waited slowly for the school nurse to appear.

As Artemis lay on the cold lawn, she continued to dream. Her eyes fluttered when Cyril's spell died as he moved into the castle. Oh good...she's alright.
Artemis' bones felt like stone. Her face felt like ice that would shatter upon impact. She lifted her head vaguely and looked down at herself. What a wreck she felt. Her fingers touched her lips, but she could not summon the energy to rub them together. The best she could do was to breathe on her blue fingertips. I am so tired, she thought.
Oh well. Time to get up. Once again, she could have sworn she was up and heading towards the hospital wing, but this time is was less clear. Her eyes were finally shut. She had passed out.

Callum saw a girl of his age swaying in mid air with her eyes closed. He ran full speed towards her and caught her as she fell.
He checked her and noticed she was unconscious, and very cold. He took off his jacket and wrapped it round her. Then, he picked her up and walked her to the hospital wing.

As Artemis awoke, she found herself in the arms of someone she did not expect to see. He was a second year, although Art was not surprised that he was able to pick her up. Anyone could. The urge to cry was overwhelming. She was freezing to death, and she ached like she had never ached before. She was steely-toed, though. Not a sob or a sniffle passed her lips, though. Not wind, sleet, hail or snow would make her cry. She also ignored the urge to cuddle into the boy's chest. He was so warm.
Art lifted her head, and with blue lips, she asked "Who a-a-are you?" She had to thank her saviour.

Callum watched the girl as she opened her eyes in his arms. She was white, and felt like ice. She was not difficult to lift, surprisingly, as she seemed older than himself.
He noticed the expression on her face, as if she wanted to cry, but would not let herself. As she spoke, her voice wobbled.
"I saw you on the lawn. I couldn't just leave you", He said, smiling at the girl. He rubbed her arms to keep her from freezing to death. She didn't look as if she would have made it through the night if he hadn't found her. He felt proud of himself.
"You can cry if you want. Look, we're nearly here".
He felt sorry for the girl. She was weak and he knew how she felt. He had been pushed into an icy lake once. He had seen everything that had happened.
As they reached the hospital wing, he lay her on a bed and wrapped her in blankets. Then he gave he a hot water bottle and held her hand until help came.

Artemis almost yelped when he said she could cry...how did he know? She must have given it away through her eyes. But she would never cry, even if she could at the moment. Her body was so cold she was surprised tears could even come. Once again, she also felt fortunate that she was so small. Being part-goblin was sometimes a burden, because people did not recognise her for what she was. She looked just like anyone else, and was correctly proportioned, only very, very small.
"Ah, thank 'ye so much" she said to him in a shaky English accent. Art wrapped her entire body around the water bottle, shuddering. After some time when she could feel her toes again, she lifted her head to look for the other girl, Alexis. The last thing she remembered was Cyril carrying her off to the Hospital Wing where she was now.
Her head reeled as she moved, and she fell back into the pillows. Someone so small was easily hurt. "Thank 'ye thank 'ye thank 'ye," she mumbled to Callum under her breath and she curled back around the hot water bottle.
"Please..what's 'ye name?"

Callum listened to the girl. Her English accent was apparent. She fell back into her pillows.
"Callum. What were you doing in the lake?" He asked her, smoothing her blankets. "It's no place for someone so tiny". He grinned, hoping she wouldn't feel offended.
"Anyway, whats your name? Now you know mine". He smiled and flicked his hair back behind his ear. It needed cutting.

Art gave him a shaky smile.
"I'm Artemis. I'm a R-Ravenclaw. Little second year girl fell in...I jumped in and got h-her out...I do hope she's alright"
Finally, she began to warm up again. In fact, her cheeks began to turn a little pink, now that she could blush again. It was an annoying habit of hers to blush whenever she met someone new, and now her cheeks were looking rosy again. She had almost rolled her eyes about his comment of her being tiny. Yep, she was certainly a little pixie. Luckily she was so strong to be able to pull Alexis out of the water. Other than that, her strength had been used for Alexis and not for her. No wonder she felt so ill.
"Gosh. Lucky 'ye were there. I think Cyril forgot about me when he got the other girl."

"I'm sure he didn't forget you", He said, giving her a warm smile. Her cheeks became pink again.
"Good to see you warming up, eh?".
He knew Alexis from previous chats. "Had you ever seen Alex before she.." He gestured with his hands, unable to say the words.

"Before she fell in the lake, you mean?" answered Artemis, puzzled. "No, never. She just looked like she was in trouble."
Come to think of it, where was she? Artemis slowly uncurled herself was the water bottle, shuddering as the loss of contact from the heat. What she needed was some of that chocolate that the nurses loved to give out. That ought to set her straight. She crawled to the edge of the soft mattress and slipped to the floor. As she did, she jarred her legs. It was a longer way to the floor for her than most. Besides, she was still cold, and her bones still ached. Art rubbed her eyes- she was getting tired. Despite that, she was determined to find Alexis and see if she was alright.
Art wobbled over to the next bed and used it for support. She pushed herself over to the next one, and the next, making her way through the beds as she searched for Alexis and Cyril. All of a sudden, she found herself on the floor. She had fallen over. Art rubbed her eyes and struggled to her feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back