Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Mahogany, 14 1/2", Essence of Demiguise hair, Bendy
Lily was running a bit late for breakfast. She had been holed up in the bathroom in the girls dorms with the package that she had gotten from Courtney. Thankfully, her friend had sent multiple test boxes, enough to confirm and reconfirm the results. After the first one failed miserably the night before, she spent most of the time since drinking anything that she could get her hands on to be able to use the rest. Finally that morning she was able to get a pair of them to work, and confirm the news. Relief washed over her as she finally had the proof she was looking for. Not knowing was literally eating her from the inside out. She smiled as she finally found out the truth, and literally felt like she was floating on air. There was a touch of disapointment there also, mostly from not knowing how this will change things with her and Sumner. He promised he would be there either way, but now that she knew, was he going to be a man of his word?

Heading down to the Great Hall, she slid onto the bench next to Sumner with a smile and a nudge, then started to fill her plate up. Eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon, a big glass of orange juice. "Morning. Man I am STARVING!" She started to dive in, scarffing down her helping of eggs quickly, then turned to look at Sumner with a smile. "So I got my package from Courtney..." she started out.

Sumner couldn't eat. He sat there looking at all of the good food. The smell alone should have been tempting but right at that moment his stomach felt like lead. He pushed his plate away then glanced up as Lily came into the Great Hall. Damn me but she's beautiful. All last night he'd lain awake, playing through so many ways this could go wrong--or right. What would she say? He managed a slight smile for her when she sat down, his elbows on the table as he leaned toward her. As she spoke, so did he so that their words mingled. "I wanted to ask you something." He stopped, annoyed with himself. He began again. "Lily I've been thinking..."

Lily stopped as she spoke, realizing that Sumner was trying to talk at the same time. As he paused, she tried to tell him the news she had to share. "Sumner," she started, talking again at the same time he was. "I took the test twice now..." She stopped short, shaking her head and chuckling. She tried once more to share the information they had been waiting on. "Sumner, we are..."

This wasn't how Sumner had envisioned this at all. Neither of them could get a word in edgewise and it made him feel awkward as hell. Which also lit his short, very short, fuse. His voice took on an aggravated tone. "Look I'm trying to ask you something here Lily." He wanted to just blurt it out, get it out of the way. Unsure of what she would say, what her answer would be. It could change their whole lives.

Lily was getting very frustrated. He would just not shut up! She grunted, then stood up at the table. "I am trying to tell you something, Sumner if you would just shut it for a minute!" she said a bit louder than she probably should, but she was getting annoyed. This was big news and she needed to share it since it affected Sumner's future as much as it did her own.

Sumner slammed his palms on the table and used the momentum to rise from the bench. He didn't plan it. He didn't time it. But the words came from his mouth and once again he spoke over hers. "Well I need to tell you something!"

Lily looked at Sumner and let out a frustrated yell. "Argh! I give up. I will talk to you later!" She turned on her heel and started to walk down the aisle between the tables. She didn't care if she was causing a scene. Her news was important and Sumner needed to hear it, but if he wouldn't shut up and let her talk, well, that was not part of her problem. He could just sit and stew on the question before them that she now had an answer to. It wasn't like it was going to change any time soon anyway.

"Damn it Lily!" Sumner stormed up to her, grasped her arm and whirled her around to face him. His fingers grasped her arms firmly, yet with a grip not intended to hurt, and he bellowed in front of the entire great hall; "I'M TRYING TO ASK YOU TO MARRY ME!" His light eyes glared down into hers and he waited for her reaction.

Lily felt herself spin to face Sumner as he yelled at her. She was stunned. "Wha-? Wha-? WHAT?" was all she could get out as she stared into his stormy eyes. She was shocked. Marriage? What? She could not answer him, but just sat there and looked at him, her jaw hanging open, the news she had to tell him forgotten for the moment.

Sumner let out a long breath, his hands spearing through his hair. He raised his eyes to Lily's and knew that he loved her. When it had happened, he wasn't sure. He just knew that he was in love with his best friend, he had broken their truce, shoved his way through the boundaries they had set up. Best friends with a physical attraction. Nothing more. Then when she had told him she was sick, possibly carrying his child, his whole world had crashed around him. As he'd held her while she cried, he knew that he didn't want to lose her, to disappoint her. He knew as he looked into her deep blue eyes that he had fallen in love with her.

Sumner took her hand and kissed it before he let it go. His eyes were intent on hers as he knelt on both knees in front of her and reached into his jeans pocket. Taking out the black velvet ring box, he flipped it open and held it out to her. It wasn't much and he had used what he could from his account to purchase it through owl order when he'd reached his decision. "I'm asking you, Lily Patricia Potter, to marry me. I know it's not much and I know I'm not the easiest person in the world. But I'd take good care of you and our baby and," he took a deep breath, his chest tight, "I'm asking you to share my life. Because I love you."

Lily was beyond shocked as Sumner proposed to her there in the middle of the Great Hall. How was she going to tell him now? She realized that will all her heart she truely wanted this, wanted to be his forever. But, he thought that she was carrying his child, and the tests that morning had confirmed the opposite. Yes, she was still late, and they had not been exactly careful every time, but her illness was not related to being pregnant. When the tests came back negative, she cried. Lily realized then she had wanted this baby, wanted to be tied to her best friend forever. And now he was offering it to her -- but he also thought they were going to be parents.

Leaning forward, tears in her eyes, she placed her hands on his face and pressed her lips to his. She could feel the eyes of the school on her, but really did not care. As she rested her forehead on his, she spoke in a voice just above a whisper. She did not accept or decline, but simply said, "That is what I have been trying to tell you. We are not going to be parents right now, my love."

Sumner closed his eyes as her lips touched his. They opened when she told him that she wasn't pregnant with his child. His breath sucked in and a look of intense disappointment that rivaled pain flashed across his face. He had wanted that baby, as much as it would have changed their lives. At first he had been terrified and wished the problem would just go away, that it would never have happened. Then as they had wondered and waited, he had gotten used to the idea. Then he had thought to himself, hell I can do this. I'll be more of a father to my kid than anyone ever was to me.

Sumner knelt there and finally he nodded then gained his feet. The open ring box hung limply in his hand to his side as his arm came around her and he buried his face in her neck. No one would see the very few tears he allowed to fall onto her neck. When he brought his head back up, his face was blank. "Okay." He nodded, tried to smile but couldn't. All he could say was, "Okay."

Lily wanted to cry full out. She felt the few tears as Sumner buried his face in her neck. "Hey," she said softly. "I know. I know." As his eyes met hers, she placed her hand on his cheek, her other arm around his neck, fingers lacing into his hair. Caressing his cheek, she confessed to him. "I-- I really wanted this baby. Your baby." Stretching up, she placed a soft kiss on his lips. She was totally and uncontrollably in love with him but was scared to actually tell him. Putting all her emotions behind that small kiss, she hoped he would realize the way she felt about him. Baby or no baby, Lily loved Sumner with all she had.

Kat was sitting enjoying a nice cup of coffee and a piece of toast before her next class. She was cutting up and laughing with Andy when her friend nudged her and directed her gaze toward the Ravenclaw table. At first she had no clue what Andy was pointing at, but then her sights fell on them. Kat watched feeling slightly embarrassed, like she was seeing in on a moment that she wasn't supposed to be, but nevertheless she couldn't tear her sight away. And then it hit her like a ton of bricks. Seeing Sumner's actions and hearing the words that come from his mouth left a lump in her throat and caused her to shoot the steaming hot liquid from her nose. Kat sucked in a sharp breath and looked at Andy, unable to even form words at the given time.

Sitting there for a good three or four minutes dumbfounded she finally found the right words that she was looking for. It was odd, for some reason she was at peace with what she had just seen and heard and that was when the realization finally hit her. She loved Sumner and always would, but she was no longer in love with him as her heart now belonged to another. With that realization also came a sadness knowing that even though she loved someone else...that love wasn't returned.

Looking around she saw that the Ravenclaw pair was drawing quite a small audience, including one very familiar face that broke her heart to look at. She locked her gaze on Chace's face for only a moment, but had to tear it away quickly before the hole in her chest started to hurt again. Sighing heavily Kat stood and dismissed herself from her friends. As she walked away from the table she stopped where her two friends stood still in each others embrace. If they were happy then she was happy for them. Sure it stung a little that the words that Sumner had just expressed to Lily were the same ones that she had always imagined he would have for her one day, but that little fairytale of hers was now over and she knew in her heart that this was perhaps the way things were supposed to be.

Gently, Kat grabbed Lily's hand and gave it a slight squeeze and a small grin. With that, she headed out of the Great Hall wondering if perhaps she herself would too ever have anyone love her enough to want to spend the rest of their life with her.

Andy had a stitch in her side from laughing so hard with Kat, it was wiping these laughter tears aside that her gaze drifted to movement at the Ravenclaw table. She had really been turning to look over at Crispin once more naturally but now her gaze was literally riveted to Sumner and Lily. Her mouth fell open and without thinking she nudged Kat. Only then realizing that the big goon of a friend of hers on his knee in front of Lily had once been Kat's great love. She bit her lip as he proposed, delighted for the two of them. Most especially as Lily's obvious answer had been a yes but looking into Kat's eyes she wasn't sure what she saw there. There was definitely heartache and resolution though.

Kat stood up then and Andy braced herself for a fracas like the one at Halloween but thankfully it never came. She thought she should go over as well and congratulate the two of them. Her gaze went once more to Crispin and though she knew in her heart of hearts that she loved him beyond words, knew that she was in love with him inexplicably, there was no way she would ever marry. Her father had cheated after all on her mother, who was now two times widowed. It made no sense to her, the same way having children made no sense to her either. She was a werewolf and would not even contemplate that type of life. Andy just hoped that Crispin did yearn for it the way Sumner and Lily obviously did.

"Congratulations you two" she grinned, hugging Lily warmly. She gave Sumner an affectionate punch in the arm and a huge smile before she hugged him too, "You better take care of her".
Of course she turned back to Lily and with a wink said more or less the same to her.
"He's rough around the edges but be good to him. You guys deserve one another".

She was happy for them, they looked delirious to have found one another but what was good for one couple was never so for every one and though she really wanted to search out Crispin in the crowd at the Slytherin table she headed out side instead.

Knowing that Lily wanted their baby as much as he had made this a little easier for Sumner. Suddenly he was aware of all of the eyes on them, that they had done this so publicly it was insane. He was highly aware of Kat passing them and tensed until she left. His one time love had come and gone in his life, they just weren't meant for each other. He didn't know what else to say, to do. He absently returned Andy's hug, his eyes never leaving Lily's. He'd just realized she hadn't said yes or no. The ring lay in its box and more than anything he wanted to see it on her hand.

Lily was suddenly brought back to reality as first Kat, then Andy congratulated them. As much as she tried, she couldn't manage to tell them that they weren't actually engaged, that Sumner had only proposed because he thought she was pregnant. Her eyes never left his as she was hugged by Andy and told to basically take good care of Sumner. "I- uh," was about all she could get out before she left the couple's side. Lily was not sure what to do, but moved forward and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head on his chest.

Sumner held her close and kissed her temple, his breath moving the fine hairs there. "Will you wear my ring?" he whispered into her ear, his large hands spanning her slim back. He badly wanted to just take the matter into his own hands. To place it on her finger himself but he had to wait for her answer.

Lily felt everything was going to be okay as he held her close, then her heart just about stopped as Sumner whispered in her ear. Eyelids flying open, she raised her head, a confused look on her face. "I thought--," she stammered, " but I'm not --I, uh.." Suddenly, she was hit with the realization that this was never about the fact that she might have been carrying his child. He knew she wasn't and he still wanted her to wear his ring. Her expression changed from one of confusion to one of elation. "Oh..OH! Yes!" A few tears slipped down her cheeks and her smile could not be contained as she gazed up at Sumner -- HER Sumner. Officially. Forever.

Sumner solemnly slid the ring onto Lily's finger, tossing the box to who the hell cares. If it hit somebody, he didn't care. Raising her hand to his lips, he pressed a light kiss to the ring while staring into her deep blue eyes. I love you, he mouthed before pressing a kiss to her lips. Sumner couldn't believe she had said yes. To want to spend her life with him. Suddenly he shouted, "SHE SAID YES!", picked her up and whirled her around. His laughter rang through the hall, quirky and the happiest he'd ever had.

Lily started laughing as Sumner whirled her around. She was still in shock that she was going to spend her life with her best friend. Her arms wrapped around his neck as they spun. He loved her! He wanted to marry her and be with her forever! As he set her down on her feet again, she pulled his face to hers and kissed her fiance there in front of everyone. She was happy beyond anything she ever thought she could be in her life. Pulling back, she looked Sumner in the eyes and spoke. "I am so in love with you, Sumner." Then she finally looked down at the ring on her finger. "Babe this is beautiful. I love it!" Lily could not help but feel that she was the luckiest woman in the world at that moment.

To hear those words from Lily, to know she meant them, that someone did love him hit him harder than any punch ever could. "I love you." He kissed her cheek. "I love you." He kissed her nose. "I love you!" His lips crashed down on hers in a kiss that would make any professor surely come running over to part them if it continued any longer. He raised his head and a wide smile spread across his face. "Let's get out of here and practice some Quidditch." And for once, he didn't mean it as a metaphor for anything else. He loved her, he wanted to be up in the sky, doing something they loved more than anything together. Because now they could and bloody hell they had a game to win soon.

Lily's face beamed as Sumner told her over and over that he loved her. It was amazing. He was her best friend, her lover and now her husband to be. She wanted to pinch herself and see if she was dreaming again. And then, he kissed her. Passionately. Before she was able to catch her breath, Sumner was mentioning quidditch. "Oh yeah! I am like dying to get in the air!" she said laughing. "Its been way to long since I was on my broom and with the game coming up, I cannot be slacking!" She gave him a quick kiss on the lips and then grabbed his hand. "Let's go!" she said excitedly as she pulled him to the doors and out of the Great Hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back