We come from the land of the ice and snow

Julie shook her head in confusion. "What the heck is a Veela? And how on Earth could this young woman eat our children? Did you hit your head too?" She was a bit snarky and annoyed with her husband, but she was really confused over his attitude. Tristan was not the easiest man in the world, but never had she seen him react like this to someone who really didn't deserve it. The fact that their children were upset about his actions also brought out the mother lion in her. She wanted the facts and she wanted them now.

"Tristan Drage, you are going to explain everything to me right this second. And not just some cockamaney story that Valcan filled your head with as a child. I want facts and lots of them." Julie glared at her husband, her hand still on his lowered wand hand, caressing the skin there. She looked up in his eyes, her anger and her love a mix in her own.

Tristan was running out of ground to stand on. He found himself on the defensive, raising his shield to deflect a blow. He glowered, not at his wife, but the source of all the trouble. That creature that his wife's cousin had dragged into the house. He was forty-five years old; he didn't need to explain himself to anyone. Wrenching his wand hand away from Julie, he stepped forward. Words were something that he refused to look for. The man was very much a child at his age. He wasn't going to waste his time stringing sentences for those who wouldn't take him seriously.

Placing his hand under the beast's head, he flicked his wand. The cut stitched itself up and soon had disappeared. Tristan didn't bother to wipe away the blood. Stepping away, he directed his attention to no one in particular as he disapparated with a crack.

Julie watched as her husband walked away from her toward the young woman. With a flick of his wand, he healed her gash, then stepped back. A large crack filled the room and announced that he was gone. Tears stung her eyes as she walked into the kitchen to get a glass of ice water. She walked back into the living room and handed the glass to Luke. "She should be okay now. Try to get her to drink some water. That should help her."

Crossing the room, she stopped long enough to encourage Eliza to join the others outside before she headed up the stairs. Soon as she was up and to her room, she flopped on the bed that was still warm from Tristan only a few minutes before. Julie was angry and hurt and her tears flowed freely. It was times like this that she wondered just how well she really knew her husband, whether she was deluding herself that they could make this work forever. The pair did not argue often, but when they did, the result was usually the same. Tristan would apparate off someplace and she would be left in tears. This was not the first time that she had seen that murderous look in his eyes, but this was the first time that the person at the end of it was not deserving of it. The question still hung out there of what exactly a Veela was and why he would believe she would roast and eat their children.

Bella felt lightheaded, drowsy and her throat felt dry. Slowly her eyes began to open, focusing on the first person she saw. Those blue eyes again. She tried to smile but instinctly her hand went to touch her head yet that very hand was being held by him. Her silvery grey eyes looked at him helplessly. She had no idea where she was or what had happened. With a degree of effort she tried to sit upright and gripped his hand tighter in order to do so.

"Where am I?" her voice felt strained, though it still sounded as gentle as ever. Thoughts jumped in on top of her but she could not make sense out of any of them. Looking to the man again with another smile, expectant of an answer from him, any answer at this point because it seemed that all she had were questions and not a clue how to answer any of them.
"Who are you?"

Luke did the smart thing and kept his mouth shut. Julie's husband really needed to be taken down a few notches. It was bad enough seeing the kids tear up, but when his cousin started crying he just felt sick. The young man had never liked Tristan, and this didn't help to reinforce his tolerance.

Fingers chilled from the glass, Luke handed it over to the not-so-sleeping beauty. "Drink this," he said softly, a polite smile curling his lips. "It will help." He was absolutely mesmerized by this woman and didn't want to offend her in any way. He didn't care what Tristan said she was.

"You're in my cousins' house and you're safe," he replied, although he was fully aware that she would know neither where this was nor who these people would be. "I'm Luke."

She accepted the drink he gave her and sipped at it gently though really wanting to swallow it faster, her throat was that dry. Holding the glass seemed to help her for some reason, besides his hand she felt she needed something else. Something familiar and water was very familiar. That sounded bizarre even in her own mind but she couldn't help it. The man was being so kind and considerate of her, explaining where she was and then telling her his name.

She smiled once more and opened her mouth to speak.
"I'm ..." she paused a moment, "I'm..." another pause as she delved through the murky blackness of her mind that seemed to be filled with holes. She did not know her name. Could not remember it. She tried to think of something else, where she lived but that was a blank too. She could remember things like chair, house, broom, bar and other bizarre yet ordinary things and yet she could not remember important things. A frightened glance up at him as she spoke again.
"I don't know my name."

Luke observed the woman with no small measure of sympathy. He didn't know who or what had done this to her, but he was certain that she did not deserve it. She would come to no harm here, grumpy old man put aside. He plopped down on the couch next to her. If it had been possible, he would have hunted down her memories and dragged them back to her. He couldn't imagine what it was like not knowing your own name.

"It's all right," the muggle man said warmly, "You'll remember it, don't worry." He would have gladly told her, but unfortunately, he did not know what to call her, either. Luke hoped that he was comforting, at least. His last objective was to put her on edge.

She continued to probe every crevice of her mind but still there was no answers for her to cling too. Looking up at Luke she smiled gratefully to him.
"Do you think so?" she asked him, her voice returning slowly to the soft gentle tones she was known for, "How did I get here Luke?"
The silver grey eyes gazed at him again, recognizing his blue eyes as the ones she had seen over and over again in a mind of wall to wall haze. He was the anchor she had pulled herself back with before her mind had lost itself completely. Gently her hand moved from his and touched his cheek as she looked at him, wondering if how long she knew him for.

"Are we?" she felt so comfortable around him, so save that she presumed they must be connected in some way, "Are we related?" no that didn't seem right somehow. Still her hand brushed gently against his cheek, grazing the blonde locks at the side of his head.
"Are we more? I feel close to you somehow but ... I... I can't remember."

Luke nodded and smiled. Amnesia would not be a fun experience. The muggle was nothing less than friendly; he didn't want to scare her off, after all. His brow furrowed when she asked him how she had gotten there. It took him a moment to pull his sentences together. "I was driving here," he explained, "And you were out cold on the side of the road. I didn't know how you had gotten there, but I could tell you were hurt. I carried you to my truck and brought you here." His expression was a little sheepish as he spoke. "I would've taken you to a hospital if I had known of one close by."

He figured by Tristan's reaction that she had something to do with the magical world. Just to stay on the safe side, he did not mention the particulars to her.

The young man couldn't help blushing slightly when she touched his face and then his hair. Although he knew it made him look like an idiot, he was quite a bashful person.

He wasn't sure how to answer her last question. It was a tough one. He, of course, wanted to be more, though even the dullest knife in the drawer would know not to say such a thing. "We've only been acquainted for an hour or so," he said finally. He couldn't help staring into her eyes. Luke had to be careful; he was certain that he could be lost in them forever.

She stared at him wide eyed when he told her she had been found at the side of a road. Something stuck and she looked at him quizzically again, she was not familiar with the word driving and thought perhaps she had forgotten more than just her name and other personal details after all. The idea that they only knew one another for such a short length of time made her feel anxious, she knew the blue eyes she kept seeing and felt so comfortable with were familiar too her. She couldn't explain it at all and Luke's eyes were blue, they had to be the same eyes she kept seeing.

Her hand fell slowly from his face and stricken with helplessness she sat curled up with her legs under her chin on the sofa. Bella could not look at him again because it seemed just so unfair that the one person she had been convinced she knew without a shadow of a doubt, was the one person she didn't know at all.
"What happens now? How do I find out who I am?"

Luke frowned. He didn't like to see the woman so distraught. Certain that she did not deserve this, he sidled closer to her. Not enough to invade her personal space, of course. The twenty-two year old wanted to know her. That would be a slow-going process, considering she did not even know herself.

"I'll ask you questions and you can try to answer them," he suggested. He wasn't one to sire many ideas. "We'll just have to start small." Luke hoped that he was encouraging. Most likely not. "Where were you raised? What did this place look like?" Detail, even the tiniest of its kind, could possibly trigger and break the floodgates holding back her memory.

Even though she now knew him as a stranger and the familiarity she felt for him was all off, Bella was still glad when he moved nearer to her. Simply being around him gave her a feeling of security that she could not explain. Perhaps it was simply because he had found her and tried to help her, her own personal hero. She smiled at him as he asked her questions. They seemed so easy, surely finding an answer for them would be simple.

Yet delve as she did into her mind, it had all the appearance of a dark grey mist. Shrouding everything and she could find no answers to relate to him. After about ten minutes of trying to give him any answer, she gave up and covered her face with her hands as she attempted to stifle a sob and hide the tears that now began to slide slowly down her face.
"I can't... I can't remember. I don't know."

It seemed so ridiculously hopeless and all she was getting for her efforts it seemed was a blinding headache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back