Wanting to fit in.

Megan Vine

Megan had been searching the castle, she had started in the library and worked her way down to here. The small girl made her way through the dark corridors of the dungeons, staying as close to the walls as possible. She knew that her fear was irrational but it didn't stop her worrying.

Megs was looking for the only person she relativley trusted, Andrew Bruke. He had told her he might be around here if she needed him. She was nervous, what if he changed his mind and didn't want to help her, add that to the part where she is naturally nervous around boys and you get the shaking wreck making it's way down to the Slytherin common room.

Megan froze, as she heard another noise, she had heard lots of noises down here. The small shaking girl slid down the wall, frantically looking around, she couldn't see anything but she heard footsteps, gradually getting louder with each step. Megs crunched herself up as small as she could go, which was quite small, jammed her eyes together and muttered under her breath. She was terrified.

"President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute. The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million. Mary Stuart became Queen of Scotland when she was only six days old. "

Andrew was heading back from the Great hall together with his friends and going to the common room. It was Saturday so things were a bit relaxed for everyone. He joked and laughed as they walked through the dungeons no longer needing the lumos spell like they did in their first year. They were used to the darkness and cold.

They didn't notice anything odd until they walked further. This was when of Andrew's friend said "Shh..There's someone here" and then turning sharply he pointed his wand at Megan. The guy was dangerous although not with his friends. Andrew didn't want any injuries nor Slytherin losing any spell for jinxes and stunning. "Why are you spying on us? Are you working for the Mag?" the fifth year asked pointing his wand at Megan's throat.

"Easy now. I am sure she can explain this" Andrew said as he came forward to look into the situation. However he was still far from Megan and didn't realize it was her as it was so dark.

Megan heard the footsteps gettinf closer. She tightened her grip, making herself smaller, and ignored the tears running down her cheeks. She heard a male voice but it wasn't one she recognised. Out of the corner of her eye she could see the wand pointed at her throat but she couldn't move.

"Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese. Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day. It would take 11 Empire State Buildings, stacked one on top of the other, to measure the Gulf of Mexico at its deepest point." Megan continued to mumble. She was about to carry on when she heard a voice she did recognise, it belonged to Andrew. She shook her head at the question, not believing it was Andrew.

Andrew walked forward as he heard deep breathing and some murmuring. "What the f**king hell are you speaking?"asked Andrew's friend when Andrew realized who the girl was. It was Megan, the girl whom he had met at the library the other day. "Mind your tongue, at least in front of a first year girl" he said as he whispered "Lumos" and he could now she Megan clearly. Tears were rolling down her cheeks, she was crying.

"I know her, lower your wand and I'll catch up with you later on" he told his friends and the fifth year lower his wand and started walking without a backward glance. "Megan, are you alright?"he asked her giving her a hug hoping it would comfort her. "I'm sorry about that, a magazine has been creating a lot of chaos around here these days" he told her as he lightened the lamps around the dungeons with a wave of his wand.

Megan shook, the boy wasn't leaving and he sounded mean. Andrews voice hit her ears again but she couldn't focus on what was said. A light appeared and she looked up to see the backs of some Slytherin boys. "I didn't.. I don't want.." She mumbled to the question, not sure of the right answer.

Megan froze slightly at the hug, not used to contact, but evantually gave in and hugged him back until she had stopped shaking and crying. She sniffed and looked up as he lit the lights. "I was just trying to find you." She spoke quietly but more confident now she had calmed and it was just them.

Andrew wiped Megan's tears as she said she was trying to find him. At least she remembered you in time of need, he thought with a smile. He took her hand in his and took her to an empty classroom, the same classroom in which he had made the aging potion. It was clean as Andrew usually came here, it was his secret hiding place.

"Do you need help with something?"he asked her with a smile as he offered her a cookie from the cookie jar that he had hidden in the cupboards. This classroom was quite cozy, as it was empty with no desks, only a single table and Andrew had smuggled some comfortable pillows and covers in here and made himself a cozy corner where he could study or read in peace.

Megan stood and followed Andrew into the room and took the cookie. She nibbled at it as she thought of how to phrase her question. "You said you could help me if I needed it and I was wondering if you could help me with people?" It sounded alright to her, Megs just hoped it would make sense to him. This wasn't something she liked doing.

"Yes I can help you" he said hoping that what he had understood was what she was trying to say. "You want help with your shyness and want to be confident and friendly and make friends, am I correct?"he asked Megan with a smile. Andrew had known some people like Megan before and he knew that this was their greatest problem but weather it was Muggle or Magic, Andrew always accomplished something he wished to do and he knew he could help Megan with this.

Megan nodded while nibbling her cookie, she was glad he understood what she needed, it wasn't something she wanted to explain again. She was also happy he could help her, he was the only person Megs thought of as a friend, she also looked up to him a bit. "You'll help me?" Her voice was hopeful and her eyes were wide as she asked.

"Of course I will" he said with a grin as he picked up a cookie himself and took a bite and chewed on it. "But it will take months and you have to help me with that" he said thoughtfully. "You need to get social and talk to people. I am sure there are students in this school, who like me will find a good friend in you"he told her as he stood up and walked around the class as he thought. "Are you going to the Halloween? It will be fun with so much candies and the decorations. You can also make friends there" he said thoughtfully.

"Do you share your dorm, how are your formates to you?"he asked wanting to know how Megan's dormates treated her. If they were nice she could go to halloween with them or she could come in Andrew's group for the day

Megan grinned and thought about halloween. She hadn't planned on going but, if it would help her, she could more than likely convinse her mum to send over a costume. Her mum would be thrilled at what Megs was trying to do. "I'll go." She put an effort into making her voice sound confidant and normal volume, she would try and do that from now on.

"I know one girl, umm, Li..Lisa!" It took a while but she remembered the name of the nice Ravenclaw girl. "And a boy called Alfie but he thinks I'm a freak." She wasn't about to mention that that was her fault, she did freak out at him being a boy.

"My formmates mainly ignore me, I'm not sure they know I share a room with them." Megan had never spared a thought to that before, maybe it was something she would change with everything else.

"Well thats nice to hear that you know a girl who is nice to you, she is a first year, isn't she "he asked her with a smile. "You can try to go to classes with her so you can become friends and chat a bit here and there" he advised her thoughtfully."You can also try to talk to her about her family and past and tell her a bit about yourself" he said as he took another cookie.

"Well, its time that you show that boy that you aren't. Talk to him, normally or talk to others in front of him. Show him you have friends and they respect you" he said with a smile. "One more thing, if you can try, say the facts in your mind, don't murmur them. By doing this they will think of you as totally cool because they won't realize that you say the facts in mind" he said with a smile.

"It will take time but soon everyone will start noticing you and be friendly with you" he told her. "Same goes for your dormates, if they are having a conversation, join in if you can, share your views" he said putting his hand on Megan's to assure him that she would be able to do it.

Megan nodded as he said what to do, it sounded difficult. She was frowning but smiled when she felt his hand. Megs did something hat she hadn't done before, she hugged Andrew, willingly. "Thank you." She wispered into his chest and looked up grinning. Megs would remember what he had said, her photographic memory made sure of that. "So I just need to keep facts to myself and learn about lots of peoples' pasts and families and be nice?"

Andrew smiled when she hugged him, I am good with girls or what? he thought grinning. "Not about their pasts and families only, just like talk with them, know their hobbies find out things you could do together. Yes, and you can also join clubs, that will help you in making friends, Friend Finder for example" he said with a smile. Unknowingly he was doing publicity for Kasey's club.

Megan nodded and replied with, what she thought, the gist of it was. "So I talk and get to know people and make them like me and not think I'm freaky? Oh! And join a club?" It seemed simple to the first year, sounded scary but seemed simple.

Megs could just imagine her mothers reaction to all of this happening, she would be so pleased that, not only had she made friends with a boy, but she was also trying to make new friends. The small girl grinned at the thought of how proud her mother would be.

"Yes" he said with a dazzling smile and a twinkle in his eyes. "And you can keep me updated on the process via owls" he added because it was necessary to know what Megan had managed to do at all times.

"And Next time you better owl me before coming here, we have a Secret Society against spies and people don't really care weather the culprit they have caught is a first year girl or someone else" he said with another smile.

Megan nodded to both things he said. "So, If I manage to do something or want help with something I owl?" She was pretty sure that's what he had said but, like normal, she had to check first. Is that something I have to change aswell? Megan ignored the thought and took a proper bite out of the cookie she was still holding, getting rid of half of what was left.

"Yes" he said with a friendly smile to Megan's question. "So, hows everything else? How are your lessons going?"he asked her requiring a topic change. "Are you staying in school for holidays?"he asked Megan.

Megan nodded. "It's alright, they are mostly great though I'm still having a bit of trouble with history." She remembered their last conversation about lessons. "I'm going home to see my mum during holidays, she's going to love you when I tell her about you helping me with this." Megan grinned as she thought, once more, how happy her mum would be about this.

"I would totally love to be a part of your family happiness" he said with a true smile that came from his heart. "I am so touched by that" he said still smiling. Sometimes this Slytherin wondered if he was put in the right house, maybe he should have been a Hufflepuff. There you go again. Don't you remember to what lengths you can go to achieve something you desire? his mind asked him. He however didn't allow these thoughts to be shown on his face. "When is your birthday?"he asked her randomly. It was something that Andrew remembered to ask all his friends. He liked making someone's special day even more special.

Megan smiled as he smiled and spoke. Andrew stopped talkinf at one point, he appeared to be thinking though she couldn't tell what it was he was thinking of. "It's May 16. Yours?" She asked him back, it felt quite strange to be asking the birthday of a friend. Megs smiled quite widely.

Sorry Lame

"Mine is on 22nd Feb" he said with a grin. "Its good it wasn't on 14 or I wouldn't get two things to celebrate about" he said with a wink. "So, wanna have lunch on the Slytherin table with me?"he asked her with a smile. He was pretty sure she would say no about the Slytherin part "Or Ravenclaw table ?"he asked her then started laughing.

Megan wasn't sure about eating at the Slytherin table. What if they were mean to her? But if she had to do it to get better at being a normal person then she would. When she was given the option Ravenclaw she almost went straight for that one. Then he started laughing, she frowned in confusion, not for the first time. "Why are you laughing?"

He stopped laughing and then said "I knew you'd feel uncomfortable to eat at the Slytherin table thats why" he smiled. "So shall we, I am getting hungry you know and these cookies aren't enough for a proper meal"

Megan took a breath, deciding to start being the new Megan now. "I'll sit at your table if you want." She let go of the breath and smiled at him, it was quite a big step for her. She was willingly going to a place where she knew she wouldn't fit in to help her get better at being normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back