Walking and talking...

Harriet Turner

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Harri wondered down the fifth floor corridor, the sun was shining but it wasn't all that warm, the beginning of autum was beginning to show as all the leaves were turning orange. The grounds looked amazing! She carried on walking around stopping when she reached a window with an especially good view, she looked out wondering what this year had in store for her.

Hollie was in no hurry to return to her common room; it was all too heavy over there. She sighed. She felt like she was carrying a burden, even though nothing had happened to her. It's part of being a good friend, she told herself, sternly. But there was just so much going on! What with laura's parents having died, and Steph's best friend with Type 1 Diabetes... it was too much! The only good thing was she'd made new friends, and Steph & James were getting on well.

Hollie decided to take a stroll along the fifth floor corridor. The view from here was truly amazing; the reflected sun light from the windows added to it. She sighed with contentment. This was a good place to escape from.
Just as she was about to leave, she noticed another girl leaning against a window further down the corridor. As she approached her, she realised it was Harri.
"Hey!" she said, happily. Here was another Gryffindor she could talk to, and hopefully a cheerful one.

Harri spun around as she heard someone call her name "Hey Hollie," she said cheerfully to the younger Gryffindor. She had not spoken to Hollie alot and felt that this was the perfect oppertunity to get to know her better. She leant against the window sill "So how are you? How are you settling in?" she asked genuinly interested to know. She wanted to help all those younger then her as much as she could, give them the same amount help and care that she had been given. She perched herself up on the window sill.

Hollie smiled. She liked Harri. The older girl was very thoughtful, and always willing to help others.
"Fine thanks," she said, happily. "And you?"
She knew she was holding things back, but she thought it was only polite to ask Harri first before spilling out all her troubles and thoughts to the older student.

"Me? I'm fine!" Harri said happily, she loved school! "Sure everythings fine? Nothing bothering you or anything?" she asked Hollie looked as though she might be holding back a bit and Harri hoped she knew she could confide in her.

Hollie was just about to say a defiant 'yes' when she stopped herself. What was wrong in being truthful? Harri had been a first year before; she must have some idea about what Hollie was feeling. And she was a trustworthy person; Hollie felt able to confide in her.
"Well," she began, careful to pick her words carefully. "Well, the school work's fine. I'm fine with that, it's easier than I thought! But the whole thing... it's just, I feel quite lonely. Everyone seems to have a 'special friend', and i see them all together, and it's like, I wish I had that. I mean, I had a best friend at my old school, Lauren. We were gonna go to secondary school together, but then I got my letter and it just didn;t happen. I wish I could fit in like that here. I mean, Belle has Steph, and Steph has James, and that, and I'm good friends with Laura and stuff, but it's not like really close. I have loads of good friends, but not one particular person to hang around with 24/7, dya know what I mean?" She paused, looking at Harri. "I mean, I've spoken to Hilary about it, but she's like older and I think she's half forgotten... but you're like in 2nd year and most likely to understand." she stopped there, giving Harri a chance to answer.

"Aww it'll be alright soon!" Harri said jumping down from the windowsill and putting her arm around Hollie "It takes a bit of time to settle in and everything! But I'm sure there will be someone you really click with!" Harri said reassuringly "You can't make special bonds just like that," she said clicking her fingers "It'll take time, and like you said your friends with Laura, just leave it for a while and you'll soon fine you are hanging around with her loads!" she said gently jumping back up on the windowsill. "I know it's hard but you just need to let things flow. And don't just feel restricted to the Gryffies talk to people from the other houses, you might find someone who you really click with there," she suggested, hoping her advice was good. But she guessed it was nothing Hollie hadn't heard before.

Hollie smiled. She really liked Harri, because she was such a good friend!
"Thanks," she said, happily. "That really helped. Hilary said something about settling in, but I think what you've said has helped me a little more. I'll carry out your advice!" she grinned. "Did you ever go through something like this?" she paused, wondering what Harri's past was like.

Harri smiled "Happy to help!" she said, "Well I didn't actually because I met Ellie pretty quickly!" she said "But I know it can be hard to get to know people when they all seem to have their own clicks already!" she said smiling.

Kyle was bored and had decided to go a wander. " Oh hi, Harri and..." He said turning to the other girl. " Im Kyle." He said and smiled.

"Hollie," she finished the sentence for him. "I'm Hollie." It was the really good looking boy she'd seen talking to Laura. She smiled.
"Oh cool," she replied, to Harri. "Yeh, I guess, but it's still a bit hard."
She then turned back to Kyle.
"You OK? Looking for someone?" then she realised it sounded rude. "Looking for Laura?" that sounded bitter. But how was she supposed to be happy that the one person who was a potential best friend was going out (or so she thought) with this guy? Hollie felt angry at herself for feeling so miserable, but she still felt lonely and this was not how she wanted to feel.

" Nope, why would i be looking for Laura." Kyle asked confused. " Im just going a wander." He said smiling.

"Hey Kyle!" Harri said smiling, "Laura," she repeated trying to put a face to to the name but being unsuccesful "As in your friend Laura?" she asked Hollie, she gathered from Hollies question that they might be more the friends.

" I know who your talking about but as i said why would i be looking for her." Kyle said then shrugged. " So how are you's."

Harri smiled "I'm good thanks you?" she asked perching up on teh window sill which rather suprisingly was comfortable.

"good good," Harri said, kicking her legs against the wall "Have you been down to brightstone yet?" she asked both of them.

" Yeah, i went to Madam Puddifoot's. Have you." Kyle asked smiling and taking a seat on the stairs.

"Yeah I've been to puddifoots and the three broomsticks!" Harri said smiling "Do you like it there?" she asked.

Hollie smiled.
"yes, Laura." she said, laughing at Kyle's confused face. "I heard that you went to madam Puddifoot's together!" she was relieved to find that her voice was back to normal, and not bitter.
"Urm, yeh, but I didn't go anywhere, not really. Just hung about about with Belle and Toria."

"Same actually," Harri said catching up with Hollie, "You coming?" she called back to Kyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back