Under the willow

Rue Undersee

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Holly 9" Essence of Veela Hair
Watching the water ripple in front of her as a single leaf fell from the willow tree, Rue's gaze fell to her feet. At least, that was what it looked like. Truthfully, she was looking down at her stomach. She knew that in a matter of weeks, it would be obvious that she was having a baby. Luckily, graduation wasn't too far away, and Rue hoped she could keep it a secret until then. There were a few people she had to tell, obviously. Her best friend, anybody related to her, and probably the school nurse, too. Much as she was dreading it, Rue would most likely have to go and make sure that she was pregnant by visiting the nurse. It seemed a little pointless when she had symptoms of it already - morning sickness was yet to arrive, though. Maybe she would be one of the lucky ones who never experienced it. Just as she thought this, the wave of nausea which followed actually made her chuckle lightly. She sat down on the dry, sloping grass and pulled her knees up to her chest. She was vaguely aware of somebody approaching her from behind, but made no effort to turn around. It was probably just another first year.

Lysandra didn't quite know how the year had gone by so quickly but now she was studying for her exams once more to finish her first year at Hogwarts. Her studying didn't leave much time for other things but the goblin girl knew that as it was her sister's last year at school they would see each other less and less so she had to at least get some time in so when she had elected an afternoon free of studying and coursework, Lysandra decided she would go find Rue. With the size of the castle Lysandra thought it would be kind of difficult to find her but when she asked someone they seemed to know exactly who they were talking about, probably because of her height. When Lyssie finally found her she grinned happily, "Hey Rue!" She looked down at the water and then back at her sister and asked, "Can I join you?"

Rue was snapped out of her daydream when she heard her sister call her name. She turned immediately and grinned. She was so sweet and innocent. A little like herself, she liked to think. "Lyssie! Of course you can," Rue grinned and patted the grass beside her gently. A scent of roses made her inhale deeply, and she wondered if it was coming from Lysandra. She'd given her perfume especially for her eleventh birthday, but couldn't for the life of her remember what it had smelt like. "How's school?" She asked, and was suddenly aware that for a precious few moments with her sister, she had completely forgotten about everything troubling her. Rue promised herself she'd never lose Lysandra. She was the tiny glimpse of hope that Rue was clinging on to. Even if her life wasn't going to well, she could at least make sure her baby sister's was.

Lysandra sat down beside Rue and when she touched down she plucked a piece of grass from the ground and twirled it between her small fingers to try to distract herself from the feeling of grave melancholy because she hadn't known Rue for very long and to be separated from her once more was sad unlike most girls who would love to be free of their sisters. As Rue asked her how school was the Gryffindor shrugged her sweater clad shoulders, "It's okay, I guess. Just studying loads. Probably not as much as you because I don't have N.E.W.T.s but still..." she trailed off with one more shrug. "What about you? How's everything? School, Miles, your Mom... all that jazz. I feel like we haven't spoken in a while." As Lysandra waited for an answer she raised her hand and flicked the blade of grass out of her hand and watched it puff up into the air and then slowly descend to water which rippled from the touch.

Rue watched Lysandra happily as she flicked a piece of grass into the lake. It sent out more ripples, and then somehow dissapeared under the water. Mind you, it was Hogwarts. Nothing surprised her anymore. "Well, you have a reason to study, Miss clever pants!" Rue tickled her sister gently and smiled. "I'll probably fail my exams. I haven't studied at all. At least you'll get out of school with decent grades. Damn, if I could go back to being your age, I'd start all over again," Rue trailed off her sentance and looked down at the lake once more. She didn't know how to reply to Lyssie. She'd asked her a question which she could either lie to, or just simply tell the truth. Right now, Rue wasn't ready to be completely honest. "But I guess school's okay, thanks. Miles.. He's fine too. My Mum? A nag, as always," Rue grinned cheekily, though when she thought about the way she'd promised she would marry Theodore, her smile faded. "I know! It has been a while. You've grown so much. you'll overtake me soon," Rue smiled, though that wasn't saying much. Her sister was also part goblin, but she was sure she was growing every day. Though a little dizzy and nauseous, Rue was doing well at hiding her emotions. "You got yourself a boyfriend yet?" she asked jokingly, swallowing the sickening feeling in her throat and forcing a smile.

Lysandra arched a brow at Rue as she said that she was clever. She had been called resourceful and intelligent but for some reason clever really wasn't something she ever considered herself to be. But she didn't say this instead she said, "Well then I'll get an extra year of 'Rue time'." She chuckled lightly before saying, "You will do wonderfully, Rue. Don't under-estimate yourself. Lord knows that people do that enough without our help." Lysandra thought the world of Rue and there were so many things that she yearned to have as her own characteristics because Rue was so lovely but she did not like the confidence her sister lacked. They were already deemed strange and incapable of most things so she didn't think that putting themselves down would help at all. As the young gryffindor looked at her sister she smiled and hoped that the sadness on her face would be replaced with her truthful words even if she didn't really know what could be bugging her. As their height would be brought up Lyssie gave a hearty chuckle, "At the rate I'm going I'll never grow at all. But it doesn't bug me any." Of course this was somewhat of a lie. Lysandra never felt comfortable with her small stature because of the weakness that was implied she had even from her mother who ought to know her more than anyone in the world. But thoughts of her strange relationship with her mother faded when Rue spoke up once more, earning a cringe. "Ick. No way. Boys here are as nasty as a thestral's behind." She giggled to herself in amusement although she wondered briefly if Rue would actually be able to see a thestral. Lysandra could but the death she saw she couldn't remember nor did she think them important because they'd never been mentioned to her so she was satisfied with seeing the skeletal creatures and riding on the young creatures when she decided that she was close enough to that creature.

Rue's thoughtful smile quickly turned into a frown. She was about to pretend it was the sun shining in her eyes, but Lysandra would see through her feeble lie for sure. Something told her that her sister already knew there was something wrong, but she didn't want to ask what it was. Rue knew that it would be known around the school soon anyway; at least to those who cared. Taking a deep breath in through her nose, Rue sighed and turned her head towards Lyssie. "Can you keep a secret?" she asked quietly, already knowing that no 11 year old could keep a secret as big as this one. However, Rue would be happy just with the confirmation that Lysandra realized this was something she shouldn't tell anybody else. Maybe this way, it would take a little longer for it to spread around the school. At least, that was what she hoped. At first, she thought that Lysandra hadn't heard. After all, she had been speaking in a hushed voice. But she didn't repeat herself, as a few more first years were running past, squealing and bashing each other with sticks. "You have to promise, that if I tell you this... You wont go blabbing to any of your friends. Not even if you really trust them. OK?"

Lysandra's thin eyebrows arched as Rue asked her if she was capable of keeping one of her secrets so she nodded her head vigorously, if there was one thing Lyssie could do it was keep something from the rest of the world. She only hoped that it wasn't too bad because she might have to break that by telling an adult because she cared for Rue too much for her to be in danger that could hurt her. Rue asked for her word once more Lysandra touched her sister's hand and said, "Of course. I won't tell a soul." She looked up into her sister's eyes with the innocence of youth in her blue orbs as she took in her sister's sadness just hoping it was something that could be mended.

Rue relaxed a little when she realized she was being silly. Of course she could trust Lysandra. She would never tell anybody. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath in and out. The idea suddenly seemed bad and she was regretting saying anything, but she would have found out eventually anyway. "Well, the thing is. I'm probably pregnant," Rue cringed inwardly, not looking forward to her innocent little sister's reaction. Then another thought crossed her mind and the corners of her mouth turned up slightly. "You could be an Aunt," her small smile turned into a mischievous grin as she scanned Lysandra's face for it's emotions.

Lysandra looked at Rue expecting her to tell her that maybe she had found out who their father was or something of the sort when she was blindsided completely. Pregnancy had always been something her mother seemed to associate positively so for a fraction of a second the Gryffindor smiled before realizing that something was wrong. "I don't understand," she said slowly and quietly. Her mother had told her the basics that when you were in love in a very special way to your husband you had a baby but her sister wasn't married so she asked, "Did you get married in secret? I thought you couldn't be pregnant without being married." She frowned deeply, offended that she had not been invited to her wedding.

Rue's eyes welled up. Her poor, unknowing sister just didn't understand how it worked. Not about to explain it, she sighed sympathetically and looked down to hide the fact she was on the verge of crying. "You don't have to be married, Lyssy. It's just... better if you are," Rue explained as best she could, and then remembered, "No, I'm not married. I do have a boyfriend though," she hoped Miles was counted as her boyfriend. They loved each other. But did Miles only love her because he knew he had to be there for their child? The thought hadn't even crossed her mind, but now it had, she was dreading seeing him again. "I'll be fine. I doubt my Mother will though. The thing is, she has me in an arranged marriage. To Theodore. You've never met him," Rue was once again tearing up, though she hid it well. "It means that I have to marry somebody who isn't the Father of the child. I'm sorry, I'm probably confusing you," Rue's face softened and she put her hand on Lysandra's chin. "Everything will work out eventually," she added with a sigh, this time a sigh of doubtfulness.

Lysandra pushed her thin brows together before she realized that her mother had lied to her so many times before that this was just another one. "My Mom told me," she mumbled quietly as if she was apologizing to Rue for god knows what reason. The young Gryffindor knew of Miles but not of this Theodore so she looked at her with deep confusion, trying to understand how Rue's mother could make her daughter marry someone. Then again if Lysandra's mother had the chance she had a feeling her mom would do the exact same thing, thinking that she was doing her a favor. "Why don't you just not marry him? You don't have to. You're the one that has to say 'I do' on the alter... right?" she asked, thinking of all the movies she had seen where there were weddings involved which weren't a lot, admittedly, but it was still the extent of her knowledge on weddings. "Are you scared, Rue?" she asked, leaning over to hug her older sister for support because she felt like a hug might just help her out a little bit.

"It's okay, I'm not angry with you," Rue sighed and let her hand fall into her lap. It was so hard to explain how it worked to such a young person, but Lysandra was clever. She'd understand. "You're right, I do have to say 'I do'. But if I refuse, my Mother will just choose somebody new until I accept. There's nothing I can do about it unless..." Rue trailed off, not willing to say the horrible words she'd just come up with. When Lysandra asked her if she was scared, she didn't have much time to reply as she found herself in the arms of her tiny sister. Now that she couldn't see her face, the tears streamed down her cheeks. "I don't know, I really don't. I don't feel anything anymore," she said truthfully. She felt numb, like nothing really mattered. Life was life. "I love you," she whispered, holding onto Lysandra more tightly. And she meant it.

Lysandra frowned as Rue said that there was nothing she could do to improve her situation but the young Gryffindor was hopeful and knew that there must be some way to fix it and as she thought of this and her mind was swimming with solutions she had missed Rue's enigmatic, final word on the subject. What she didn't miss was the sound of her sister crying and her words which made her frown deeply. Emotions and feelings were what made you human and without them you were nothing but drone so she felt relieved when Rue said that she loved her, knowing that the two went against each other because love was an emotion. However, Lysandra spoke none of this and only hugged her sister tightly and said, "I love you too, Rue. We'll get through this. I promise."

Rue pulled away from Lysandra when she promised that they would both get through it. She hadn't realized the her sister cared so much about her. Noticing a damp patch on Lysandra's shoulder where she'd cried, she smiled guiltily. "Thanks," was all she could say, though it was a feeble word which did everything but explain how grateful she was. Then she smiled fully, sitting up straight. "I wonder if it'll be a girl or a boy?" Rue thought aloud, plucking the grass by her side. "I know it's early, but I've already thought about names," the smile on her face turned mischievous again as she thought about it. She was only one month gone, and yet she was preparing for 8 months ahead. The reality was, she didn't even know if she would be able to keep it.

Lysandra gave Rue a wry smile as she thanked her before nodding her head lightly, understanding Rue but not really knowing why she was thanking her. Lysandra was sure Rue would do the same for her. "Really?" she asked as her sister said that she had thought about names. "Lysandra two point oh?" she joked with a chuckle falling from her full lips. "Lay them on me," she requested curiously wondering if Rue could see how this was going to change everything for her and how naming was really just one part of it. Lysandra had read a few books with pregnancy involved and saw how the characters had grappled with it all but she had thought it was nothing more than a piece of fiction but with the news that you had to be married and in love to get pregnant she was starting to think that maybe those words were real.

Rue smiled at Lysandra's suggestion. She knew she sounded stupid, thinking of names already when that was the least important part of the situation right now. Still, she was glad Lysandra was interested, and if she was shocked, she was hiding it very well. "Hm, well for a boy, I'm thinking Quinn or Gabriel, and for a girl, Robyn or... Lysandra," she said truthfully, smiling and waiting to see how her sister would react to the news. She was sure she'd be happy, and most likely shocked, but Rue really liked the name, and if she was honest, she loved her sister to death. She always wanted to be around a Lysandra, whoever it was. "What do you think?" she asked, a cheeky glint in her deep blue eyes.

Lysandra listened to Rue's suggestions and mentally paired up the first name with 'Undersee' because she didn't know what was to happen with the father and because it was what her mother had done for her instead of giving her the last name 'Undersee'. The last one she heard made her look up at Rue with wide eyes and smile as she was touched. "Rue..." she said softly before giving her sister another hug and pulling back once more. She wasn't quite sure what to say at the fact that Rue's child might be named after her, it wasn't something that had a rule or her mother had given her advice on so she said, "I like them."

Rue was glad Lysandra approved. However, as she began to hug her once more, a pain in Rue's stomach forced her to pull away abrubtly. She apologized for this, her face screwed up a little as she twisted her body to try and relieve the pain. She hadn't really expected to experience pain during pregnancy; it wasn't something she'd been advised on by the nurse. Was it normal? Rue had no way of telling, but she was certainly starting to worry about it. It wasn't the only strange symptom she'd been having over the past few days. She'd brushed them off without a second thought, but now it was starting to concern her. Realizing she needed to reply to Lysandra, she forced a smile through the anxiety. "I'm glad," she said, her voice full of pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back