twisting allegories now

Ferdinand Oakley

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains
Always a get up and go kind of kid, Ferdinand rarely spent all day in one place. Having spent most of the morning in the Ravenclaw common room he needed to distance himself from his peers and get some fresh air. Overall Ferdinand loved his house and the people in it. Many times had his fellow Ravenclaws made interesting conversation, however some days he couldn't stand hearing them speak. Today was one of those days. Sending an owl to his mother and father made the perfect excuse to escape for a little while before lunch. He could already feel his tummy rumbling, but ignored the feeling to finish his letter knowing it would make time go faster. Once in a blue moon did Ferdinand send an owl to his parents, ironically that was all he could write about. The only other person he sent owls to was Kelsey and that was during the holidays. Needless to say Ferdinand felt out of place in this situation. Half an hour later and he was finished. The letter sounded rushed, and with lack of a desk his ink had smudged and his parchment torn in one corner but somehow it was still legible. Ferdinand wasn't fussed about the neatness, or lack thereof because he knew his mum had seen worse. As a five year old his writing was practically scribbling, his letters were backward and any understanding of capitalization went out the door. Looking over the parchment a second time, he realized it didn't look much different.

With a shrug the Ravenclaw handed the letter to a nearby owl and sent it on it's way. He still had some time before lunch, but was unsure how to fill it. Returning to the common room was definitely a no go. The library would be his next predictable option, but unfortunately Ferdinand had grown sick of spending time there lately. Although some casual reading into mythical creatures sounded compelling, he wanted to be more diverse with his time today. Eventually the Ravenclaw decided to throw rocks in the lake. He heard the more rocks you throw, the more likely you'll see a mermaid. Not once had he believed this to be true. He only decided to go so he could find out for himself. Hearing things through other people was the half-assed way to learn. Ferdinand turned around, coming into contact with something, or rather, someone else. Immediately, he apologized. "Whoops, I'm sorry." He took a step backwards. "Are you alright?" Obviously, the girl wasn't hurt. But it was only polite to ask.

Uncertain of what to expect from attempting to send a letter via owl, Lux decided to be prepared and write a letter to her family before leaving for the owlrey. Carefully she chose her words and even more carefully did she write it, not wanting to seem like a Neanderthal to her parents, nor to her siblings as she was the oldest and the only one as of yet to embark upon is sort of a journey. She told her family that she had made it into Slytherin and what that supposedly meant in case they were as clueless as she was about the entire ordeal. When the letter was sealed, Lux made the long walk up to the Owlrey.

It gave her time to think about the fact that she had just used a quill and ink to write a letter. Certainly a pen could have done the job - it all seemed to be just for stylistic purposes but who was she to question a cult-like group of people with their own history that the rest of the world knew nothing about. She could only shrug it off as she entered the Owlrey but came into it with a start. She'd bumped into someone and before she could open her mouth he was apologizing. She spluttered out a "Fine" and then looked at him calmly. He was an older student, that much was clear and he was leaving the Owlrey. Perfect. She could ask him to go about this. "Sorry. Are you alright? I really ought to pay more attention." The Aussie smiled kindly at him while her fingers fiddled with her piece of parchment, calmly enough so as to not make it seem like it was out of anxiety.

The Ravenclaw had a lot of repressed energy. Boredom had caused the whole thing, not finding an interesting person to talk to today had taken a surprising toll on him. Now that he'd finally found someone remotely interesting, he chose to let some energy out. "No, I'm not alright." Ferdinand begun, clutching his chest the way one would if they were having a heart attack. "I probably have a few hours left! Tell my family I love them!" It was all too obvious this was a ploy to be funny, sarcastically funny. He saw the opportunity and didn't hesitate to seize it. This girl was younger than him, that was obvious. But was she gullible too? That he was yet to find out. "You're damn right you should have paid attention. I could have died." He finished, matching her smile with a cheeky one of his own. Naturally Ferdinand assumed the girl had a sense of humor and would find it funny. If not for his sarcasm, for his terrible acting.

"Can I help you with something?" He changed the subject. Usually the only reason younger students approached him was to ask for directions or help, he assumed this time it wasn't any different. He had done the same as a first year. Relying on older students to find his way was an easy habit to fall in to. Only halfway through his second year did he finally break it. "I'm Ferdinand." He introduced himself, holding out his hand to shake. This girl looked pleasant enough, not the kind of student to storm off or look down their nose at people. That was refreshing.​
<i>
</i>

Lux inhaled sharply when she heard this older student first say no but as she saw what he was doing and listened to what and how he was saying them she realized very quickly that he was being quite sarcastic. There was a queer smile on her face as she watched this, amused by this boy and his antics yet wondering what on earth brought him to them. Not that it mattered, the blonde could so rarely keep herself from curiousity, though. "I owe you that much," Lux said, equally as dramatically when he asked her to tell his family that he loved them. "I can only hope that they give me the same honour if they avenge you." She looked wistful, as a tease, before her mask let up and she let out a small giggle and covered her mouth with her hand.

When they stopped poking fun, Lux had narrowly forgotten of her quest to send the letter out when he had asked her if she needed help without prompting. He seemed to be very kind, indeed. While she hadn't been here long she had seen that unlike the funny, older brown haired boy most people were generally unwilling to help others without prompting, or without slurring something in the vain of Merlin's beard or Agrippa's sake, both of which sounded hilarious to her but knew enough that they shouldn't be so she just looked at them with contempt when they did this "Lux," she responded as she too, his hand for a shake. She had been worried this wasn't a custom within wizarding kind so she most often kept her hands in her pockets. "Yeah, actually. I reckon you could help me. I need to send this letter but I don't really know what to do with these birds." She paused, giving a small smile, "so it would be great if you tell me how I let these things know how to get where they need to be and if there is a renting system in order?" She hoped this didn't seem naive or stupid of her to ask but she would need to know one way or another.

Ferdinand chuckled. It was refreshing to find someone not only polite, but with a sense of humor too. He'd dealt with far too many stuck up students these days. The whole experience was tedious. Granted, there were a few awesome people he'd hung out with but for the most part everyone he met were rude. This was the sole reason he only had a couple of friends here. Lux was of course an exception. He raised an eyebrow as she talked. Help sending a letter? No problem. "It's really simple." He reassured her. When he first began sending owls the whole system was new to him, somehow he convinced himself the whole process was more complicated than it actually was. Looking back on it now Ferdinand thought it was hilarious how much he worried himself over something so simple. Now sending owls was second nature, spite how rarely he did send them.

"Basically all you need to do is find an owl you like, give it the letter and send them on their way." From experience Ferdinand knew most of the owls were intelligent enough to know where to go. "That's how I've been sending letters. I could be wrong but I've never gotten into trouble with it before." He shrugged. Not once had he run into problems with owls before, neither had any of his friends. "There isn't a renting system either." The idea of a renting system sounded a little far fetched. If students had pet owls, they didn't need to go to the owlery to send things. The owls here were fair game as far as he knew. The whole concept was straightforward and simple. Ferdinand didn't feel the need to demonstrate, he was confident Lux could handle this with no trouble at all. She seemed smart enough. "Does that make sense?" He was pretty sure Lux understood, but wanted to be certain. If she didn't get the picture and he left her to her own devices that would be very rude. Ferdinand was happy to stay and walk her through the process if need be.

Lux listened to Ferdinand and sighed to herself, feeling stupid for thinking that it was so much harder than he was saying it to be. She still didn't understand how an owl would know how to get to her house because she was fairly certain the only owl that had visited her before was when she got that strange letter with the very specific address. It was rather creepy, to be honest, that the headmaster had been so knowledgable about the outlay of her house to know she had the third bedroom on the left. She, however, did believe the older boy and said, "Thanks, you're legend." Lux smiled and said, "I think, I get it. Thanks." She walked over to the bird cages and cautiously put two fingers in one of them, expecting one to nip her but it instead nuzzled it's beak onto them and she turned her head back to him and, for conversations sake, asked, "What year are you, then?"

Part of Lux would really enjoy speaking with Ferdinand but she wondered if he was just being polite, she was just an eleven year old and in Slytherin - many people seemed to dislike her just for that which irked her. It came to the point where, unless someone directly asked, she would avoid the topic. Her hands were busy but she was listening as she took the bird out of the cage and let it perch on her arm, which she was immediately regretting because the talons were digging into her arm. However, she calmly gave the bird the letter and told it her address in Perth after giving it a treat from a bag that was laying there, thinking that Aus was rather far for a bird, although with all the people from Europe here she had to imagine that they would be used to it but that didn't mean it made sense to her. When the bird flew off, she put a hand to her arm and rubbed the skin gently and awaited an answer from the older boy but also wondered vaguely if he had come to Hogwarts with a good deal of knowledge like so many or if, like her, he had been so deeply clueless. Part of her hoped that he'd been clueless; because that could mean that she would know how to work with the system at some point and maybe be successful here. Right now she didn't think that would ever happen and she was properly bewildered by the entire witch situation.

</SIZE>
<SIZE size="50">Ferdinand kept himself from stepping in. Just as he expected, Lux was handling this fine, he had no need to interrupt. Temptation arose however when she let the owl perch on her arm. Ferdinand learned first hand what a bad choice that was, remembering in his second year he made a quick trip to the hospital wing after an owl's talons cut into his neck. At the time he wanted to be an owl whisperer, and didn't consider any of the owls would react violently when he tried to keep one of them on his shoulder. But spite his bad experiences the Ravenclaw kept his mouth firmly shut. For once he didn't want to be the know it all, somehow he became very self-aware and couldn't say or do anything to interrupt even if he wanted to. He finally answered Lux when she turned to face him again. "I'm in my fourth year." He shrugged. According to his friends, he still had the maturity of a first year though despite what they said Ferdinand felt a lot older than last year. In fact he was surprised how much he changed in the space of four years.

It was his turn to ask questions now. "What about you? What year are you in?" She was obviously younger than him, he guessed first or second year but couldn't be sure. He rolled back and forward on his feet, suddenly more confident than before. After all, this was when Ferdinand felt most comfortable, when he was the one asking questions and calling the shots. He hated being the subject of conversation, he always had. This way he didn't have to worry as long as he could keep the subject on Lux rather than himself. "Does your family live in Australia?" The address she said to the owl was in Australia, naturally the fourth year assumed the letter was to her family. As an individual Ferdinand didn't know much about the place, more so the dangerous spiders and snakes, albeit he knew almost nothing about what the people were like. In fact he hadn't met an Australian until today, not that he knew of at least. Ferdinand shook his head. "Anyway, can I help with anything else?" It seemed appropriate to ask if Lux needed any more help. He doubted that she did need more, but asked anyway for conversations sake.

ooc: blah, i'm sorry.
<i>
</i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back