Trains and Sewing Machines

Stella Lagowski

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Sturdy Vine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
The air smelled like mud and rage. Bitter raindrops boiled on Stella Lagowski's cheeks. There was something about the way she walked that enfeebled the storm, as if by some miracle she'd ripped it from the sky and contained it in her legs. When she reached the park, her ankles were plastered in hot, wet earth, and it itched her delicate skin. The sky above was grey and unfamiliar. Nothing like her New York sky, with its blinking stars and vast opportunity. She sat down on the climbing frame, on which rain pooled like tears, and began to cry.

Emilie wasn't sure whether the girl had seen her, so embroiled as she was in her own seeming misery. Sitting on one of the swings in the park, she'd seen the girl come in and begin to cry on the climbing frame. With her experience of course, the frame was so easy it was childs' play. Which, she realised, it was designed for. Still, wanting to know if she could help, Emilie went over and scrambled up it, perching a couple of feet away. "And I suppose you're just fine then?"

The rain threshed the peeling metal climbing frame with such intensity that Stella did not hear her company arrive until she was sat right next to her. Great. All Stella could pray for was that this girl wasn't a muggle-born. Even with her hair sopping wet and plastered to her cheeks, her pointed face was still very recognizable, and the last thing she needed was for the girl to realise who she was. "You don't have to be sarcastic about it," said Stella through rain and salt. Her voice was hoarse and thick. Then she turned sympathetic. "You're getting soaked," she said gently.

Emilie had no idea who the girl was, and just assumed that it would be a witch if she were in Brightstone Village in the rain. She'd recently purchased her supplies for Hogwarts, and was quite excited to attend at last, after all the months of waiting. When she'd asked her mother if she could take a quick walk around Brightstone, she'd agreed as she wanted to go to the Three Broomsticks instead. Now she was here, sitting on the frame with this girl. "Sorry, it just sort of comes out. I do try and stop it, but..." Emilie trailed off, unsure what to say. "It's no problem, my mother said she can dry me off with a charm later. You are a witch aren't you?"

Stella wasn't in the mood to hold grudges. The girl, whom, as far as she could gather, only had the best intentions anyway, was quickly forgiven. "Don't worry," said Stella, wiping her wet face with an equally wet hand. "I do it too, sometimes. Yeah I'm a witch. But I wish I wasn't." There was a venom in her tone that she'd never heard before, and it unnerved her a little. These were the lengths she had been driven to. Why she couldn't be home educated was completely beyond her. Dad would have done it, if he'd had the time. Mom was so selfish. "I haven't seen you before," Stella stated blankly. "Are you starting in September?"

Emilie was thoroughly surprised at this witch not wanting to be a witch. Who in their right mind would turn down an opportunity of the kind at Hogwarts?! Was she crazy or what? Then she remembered that the girl was crying, and she wondered whether something terrible had happened there and she just didn't want to go back. "Is, uh everything ok then? Because everything sure does look like it..." Once again, she wished she could speak plainly for once, but once again, she blurted out her thoughts without thinking. "Aye, I'll be starting this year. I take it you already go there then, or am I missing something obvious?" At the last, she raised her eyes upwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back