To be or not to be

Rue Undersee

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Holly 9" Essence of Veela Hair
Rue still felt shakey from her experience in the common room not too long ago. It wasn't exactly surprising; she'd just found out she was going to have a child with someone she could never be with. Even the thought brought tears to her bright blue eyes, so she banished it from her mind and focused on the positives. Who was she kidding? Opening the hospital wing's door, she realized that when she left the room, she would know for sure if she was pregnant or not. Her life would be changed forever. And if she wasn't, she could start to return to normal again. It was highly likely, of course, that she was already one month pregnant, but she clinged to the teeny piece of hope left inside her that she wasn't. Unsure why she felt guilty, Rue glanced around the wing. There were several other students there - one covered in strange warts, another cradling a bandage on his arm. The sight made her smile, until she remembered where she was.

Peering round the corner of a door in case the nurse was in there, Rue couldn't help but feel nosey. She was too short to hop onto one of the beds and wait, so she stood still and called out instead. "Hello?" there was no reply for a moment, but a few moments later, Rue heard a stirring. Her heart began to race. Did she really want to find out the truth? She couldn't hide away from the whole thing. Everybody would know sooner or later, including her Mother. It was soon going to become obvious that there was a child growing inside her. Plus, she couldn't go on pretending that her constant nausea was just a prolonged stomach bug.

Nina sighed as she left Gareth's side this morning for work, wishing nothing more than to be able to stay home with him and their little girl, Isadora. But a new day at Hogwarts was calling so she had to pull her long blonde hair up into a bun and changed into her uniform before kissing her daughter on the forehead and apparating into her office. There was much to do so she quickly began her work, filling out forms and periodically checking on the children. Several required spells and potions so Nina rushed off to get a potion from the cupboard and then she heard a small voice call out. "One moment," the young woman said as she turned around the corner with the potion in her hand and her wand in the other, brushing past the student quickly to give the potion to another. "Drink up, now," Nina instructed before putting her complete attention on the part-goblin girl she had seen around campus. "Can I help you?" she asked with a kindly smile.

Rue smiled as the nurse appeared, though she brushed passed her without much notice. Then she spoke, and Rue assumed it was directed at her. She flattened out her robes for no reason other than to give her sweaty hands something to do. "Hi," she began, having to look up to see the nurse's face. Being small certainly had it's disadvantages. "Yes, um.." Rue wished she could be in a more private place, but she couldn't have everything. "I've been really ill recently. Dizziness, headaches, a bit sick." Taking a deep breath, Rue turned pale and placed her hand on her forehead. "Ugh," she said, though she didn't realize she was saying it. Running her hands through her hair, she tried to stand still, but her anxiety was causing the room to sway violently. She swallowed the nausea, but unless you were an idiot, you could clearly see she felt unwell. "The thing is, I think I might be pregnant," Rue almost whispered.

Nina frowned sympathetically as the girl told her she was sick. It sounded like she had the flu but lucky for her that would be done with in a moment but then the girl whispered something that Nina only just heard and she said hastily, "Why don't we go into my office?" As a young mother Nina understood everything this girl would be feeling but she had also already graduated from Hogwarts and had begun her career as a healer already. Things had turned out unexpectedly well with her daughter reaching three and a half years soon she was a happy woman but this child may not be as lucky as she was so Nina walked over to the cupboard without speaking to Rue with two vials in her hand. These normally were not kept in schools because of the fact that they were children and it was against all the rules to have intercourse on the grounds so it was sort of assumed that they wouldn't have relations of these sort else where. Clearly Nina Patrokov was as naive as the rest even though she had a daughter so young. She walked back to the girl and said softly, understandingly but also hoping for the girl's sake that she wouldn't have to go through such a hardship. This was the reason for the second vial.

Dannii followed closely behind Rue into the Hospital wing. She was making sure to stay close though encase Rue almost fainted again. With every second that passed by she felt her hope that Rue wasn't pregnant draining more and more. Of course if she was Dannii would stay by her like any true friend would, but the idea that the baby could kill Rue still hung over her. Shes so tiny. Dannii thought looking down at her. Hell when they had first met Dannii mistook her for a first year. Having been lost in her memories Dannii didn't realize that they were at the hospital wing until she almost ran into the closing door. As Rue took her seat Dannii made sure to still hang around behind her and crossed her arms around her chest. She bit her lip nervously looking around at all the other students here really hoping they wouldn't overhear anything. Thankfully when Rue explained the situation the nurse told her to step into the office. Not sure if she should follow or not Dannii stood awkwardly beside Rue's chair looking down at the ground.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry its late.

Rue nervously made her way into the office, turning her head to signal to Dannii that she would be out in a minute. She didn't like being in the small room without her, but it was quite a private situation. The nurse did not look at all pleased, and Rue kept her head bowed, knowing she was in big trouble. The nurse retrieved two vials from her cupboard. She could understand what one could be for, but had no idea about the other. "What are they for?" she asked, examining them more closely. What was going on? Was this a normal procedure for pregnant students? Rue was sure it wasn't an everday occurence, but the sullen and hostile atmosphere was starting to creep her out. She felt sick to her stomach, though she wasn't sure if it was physically or mentally. She decided to warn the nurse anyway, in case she had some kind of cure for morning sickness. "I feel really sick," the desperation in her voice and on her face was obvious.

Nina didn't answer the question about the vials only opened the door for the children, uncertain if the other blonde was joining her or not but let her in anyway. The nurse took a seat behind her desk and said, "Please, sit." She looked to the girl and said, "Drink this potion and tell me if it's sweet or not." She handed it to the girl gently. "It will tell us if you are pregnant or not and we can move on from there." The woman wasn't a midwife but the girl was graduating soon so Nina could set up an appointment with one for her when the year was over or she could give her the other vial and let her stay in the wing for observation. "I know you do, sweetie," she said as the girl said she felt sick, understanding it completely.

Rue gulped quietly as she realized what the first vial was for. She nodded, taking it from the nurse and looking at it. Drinking this will change my life, she thought, taking a deep breath in and taking a sip from the vial. Immediately, she gagged, spitting it out into a handy plastic container on the table. After retching a few more times, she lost her lunch as well. "Sorry," was all she could say after a few embarrassing seconds. Her reaction to the potion had probably been a clear indication to how the potion tasted, but she still decided to say one word which made all the difference. "Sweet."

Nina didn't flinch as the girl was sick, only sat up straight in her seat making a mental note to get her a potion to sooth her stomach and when she answered Nina looked at the girl and nodded her head slightly picking up a quill and reaching for a parchment to fill out part of the paperwork. "Miss Undersee I have a personal question for you and if you do not want Miss Merrythought to hear it, perhaps you should indicate this now," Nina said as she scratched down a few lines only glancing from her paper to look at the shorter of the students for a moment to show her that it was something that most would want in private. The nurse finished writing and put her feathered quill back in it's holder and looked at the two, waiting for some sort of sign to let her know if she could go on or not.

Rue glanced at Dannii. She really had nothing personal she could hide from her; Dannii knew almost everything about her already. Shrugging, Rue brushed her hand through her messy hair. "It's fine." She replied, looking straight at the nurse to show that she knew this was serious. Still, she didn't understand what could possibly be such a personal question that she wouldn't want her best friend to hear it. How bad could it possibly be? Suddenly, Rue was dreading what she was about to hear, but she kept herself composed, sitting up straight and promising herself that she would not cry. This just wasn't the time for such a thing. She had to stay strong, at least until she got back to her dorm, where she could release all of her emotions.

Dannii followed Rue into the nurses office when she saw that she was allowed to. Dannii really didn't feel like sitting at the moment so she just stood behind Rue and gripped the back of her chair so tightly it turned her knuckles white. The nurse offered Rue the first vial explaining that it was a pregnancy test. Then whats in the second one? Dannii thought for a second but immediately dismissed it as Rue started to drink the potion in the first vial. As Rue began to spit and finally vomit Dannii rubbed her back trying to be comforting. Please don't say sweet. Please don't say sweet. Dannii felt her heart sink when Rue said the potion was sweet. This was it, her best friend, and someone she considered a little sister, was pregnant. The Head Girl stood up a little straighter when the nurse asked Rue if she wanted Dannii to leave for the next part. Of course she would if Rue wanted her to, but she didn't want to leave the girl alone. Thank-fully Rue wanted her to stay.

Nina nodded and pushed a strand of her sandy blonde hair behind her ear before she locked her gaze onto Rue's. "There are options," she told the girl. "The first one is having the baby and raising it with your family, the father, and the next is of course adoption and the final would be to not have the baby. I can set up an appointment at St. Mungo's for you should you choose the one of first two because I will admit to not being a midwife but the final is a solution I have in my hand. No judgement will be passed and you and I have a confidentiality agreement as my patient so you needn't worry about a word being spoken from my lips. It is your choice but is must be made soon to not harm you." She smiled sympathetically before speaking with more warmth and understanding in her voice. "I know this may seem harsh but I have a three year old daughter and I understand how you might be feeling," Nina told the girl.

Rue felt as though she was being strangled. Was the nurse serious? There was no way she could take a potion to kill her baby. It was a part of her now, and she was going to do everything she could to protect it. "I.. I'll raise it," she managed to choke out, still in shock. She knew there were problems like getting a job and finishing school to think about, but that was no reason for her to get rid of her baby. How would she live with herself, knowing she'd murdered her own child? "I know the Father, he'll help me, and.. So will my Mother," the latter was a lie, but what else could she do? It was quite obvious that she had lied, as her voice had wobbled tremendously as she said 'Mother'. Still, with Miles' support, she knew they could bring up this baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back