Throwing stones at the Ocean

Jessame Rose Trewelly

OOC First Name
Emmapants
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains
Jessame Rose ran as far and fast as she could, wanting to put the meeting far behind her. The diminutive girl could move fast on her solid little legs. Her size belied an inordinate physical strength.
I'm NEVER going back there, she thought, and held the hate in her mind as she ran. Her lungs were bursting, and she'd lost both her jandals by the time she slowed down. The soles of her feet were thick and rough, though, from a summer running wild over hills and beaches, so she wasn't bothered.

She eventually gathered her thoughts and began to make her way back to where her foster parents would be waiting. They saw the place differently than she did, and had stopped the car at what appeared to be a disused farm road with a sign on the gate saying "Private Property. Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted." Jessame Rose, though, had been able to see it was a well used path, although she was disturbed by the small pottery garden gnomes that had waved and smiled as she had opened the gate and let herself through.

She tried to calm herself and used her t-shirt sleeve to wipe the tears from her face. When she arrived back at the car her foster mother Sarah got out to welcome her. She and Tim had brought books with them and were expecting Jess to have been gone longer than she was.

"How was it Jessie?" Sarah asked.

Jess knew exactly what to say.

"They made a mistake. The invitation wasn't supposed to be for me."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not supposed to be going to this school. It's all just a big mistake."

"Aww, sweetie, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just ran back cos I didn't want youse to be waiting too long." Jess looked at her foster mother and felt a huge uprising of love for her. "It's okay. I don't need to know who my biological parents are. You're my real parents."

Sarah smiled a crooked smile and gathered the small brown girl in her arms. It was clear they weren't blood related. She and her husband were tall and clearly pakeha, but they loved this tiny little wild-haired Maori girl like their own. "I love you little Jessiose."

Jess gratefully let herself be encompassed by her mother's arms and even ignored the nickname she usually protested against. Instead, she just said "Let's go home."

---

Back in the South Island, Jessame Rose wondered when her parents were going to make her start a real school now that she wouldn't be going to Hogwarts. They had decided to let her have half a year off to spend time at home before she went to the boarding school, but now, well, Jess would wait and see. For now she reveled in the freedom. She had the run of the hills; the farmland near her house was owned by neighbours who didn't mind her going where she wished, knowing she wouldn't disturb the animals. Sometimes she'd help with chores that needed doing and after a couple of shearing seasons, she was a pretty good rousie for a girl her size.

Today she had skirted the farms and taken the long way up to the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Stunted macrocarpas lined the cliffs, taking the brunt of the sea winds what came up from below. Jess found the tree she was looking for and used the rope hanging from one of its sturdier branches to let herself down the cliff to a small ledge she had discovered the previous summer. From there, she could easily climb further down to a small secluded pebbled bay, otherwise only reachable by boat. Jess sat for a while, watching a spotted shag dry itself in the rough wind, and wondered about the world she had just left behind.

It's so wrong, that that can go on under our noses, and no-one knows! Imagine what people would say if they knew! Those guys are freaks... and I was almost one of them! Ugh. She shivered at the thought. Without thinking, she had stood and begun scooping up pebbles from the shore, throwing them one by one at the expanse of rolling water. They're... mutants... who knows what they could do to us! Somebody should stop them. Taking innocent children and turning them into monsters! How can they call themselves a school! Jess had been throwing the stones harder and harder as she thought, and as she continued, she found herself huffing with the effort of each throw. She was so angry tears started to melt down her face, her brown skin momentarily glistening in the weak sun, and then drying salty in the sea wind.

((This is set on the Banks Peninsula, East of Christchurch. Jessame Rose lives there (Member Map). If you have any excuse to be nearby, drop in and RP, otherwise I don't mind it just being a part of her character development.))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back