OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Margo had hoped that talking to Harley would solve things, but in reality, it had made everything more complicated. Harley was actually nice. So why did Margo still hate her? Before their conversation at the lake, Margo's animosity had at least been partially justified, but discovering that the Gryffindor really cared about Odette ought to have put all her feelings of resentment to rest. It was almost as if she'd wanted Harley to be horrible, so that she could tell Odette to break up with her immediately. Perhaps Margo should have put Harley to some sort of test - set her up to fail, rather than giving her the chance to lie. Ugh! What was wrong with her?! Why did she keep having such mean, spiteful thoughts? Odette had found somebody who cared about her. Margo had to shake herself out of this and let it go before she convinced herself she was a complete jerk.

She was passing through the third floor corridor that day when she spotted Odette walking toward her from the opposite direction. Her instinct was to duck her head and hurry on past, but, determined to be mature, and desperate to apologise and have her friend back, she decided instead to walk into her path. "Odette, I am so sorry," she started, without saying hello. "I know I've been a really, really awful friend, but..." She squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath. "I was really jealous when you said you were spending time with Harley because I thought you'd forgotten about me and you're my best friend ever so that really hurt but I should have been there and not run away when you told me so I'm really really sorry please say you don't hate me."

Odette was very happy with the responsiblity of being the captain of the Quidditch team. It meant she could put a lot of time and energy into the team, which was an easy and convenient distraction from everything else. While things with Harley were nice, she was worried about how things would change now that they were back at school. There was also her sister Charlotte, who she was sure was scheming something. Odette wanted nothing to do with it, but she had a feeling her sister wouldn't ignore her that easily. But most importantly, her fight with Margo in the train was still fresh on her mind. She wasn't sure what she had done wrong this time, but she knew it wasn't entirely uneasonable for Margo to be angry at her. Maybe it hadn't been as easy for Margo to forgive her as she had wanted. Maybe Odette had simply gone too far last year.

As if thinking of Margo made her appear, Odette was startled to see her suddenly step in front of her as she was making her way through the corridor. She had hardly been looking at where she was going, and she nearly collided with the girl. Odette wasn't sure what to expect, but an apology wasn't it. She listened, stunned, as Margo told her she had been jealous. Jealous! Odette tried her best to wrap her mind around it. "Margo, it's okay." She said after a short moment. "I... I guess I made it sound like I didn't miss you because I had Harley. But that isn't true." She sighed, adjusting her book bag on her shoulder. "I missed you a lot. I really did. You're my best friend." She smiled slightly. "My best friend ever," she corrected, mimicking Margo's words. "I don't hate you. I'm just relieved to know what was going on." She gave Margo a nervous smile. "So, are we even now?"

Margo opened one eye, and then the other, breath held in anticipation for Odette's response. She wouldn't have blamed her friend for never forgiving her. The one time Odette had shared something personal, expressed her vulnerability, and Margo had completely stamped all over it. So when the Slytherin reassured her that it was OK - even told her she'd missed her - Margo felt all kinds of relief and joy she didn't deserve. Overwhelmed, she answered Odette's question by flinging her arms around her neck, embracing her in a bear-like grip. She closed her eyes, inhaling the scent of her best friend's shampoo, absorbing her warmth and softness and wishing, wishing wishing wishing she didn't have to let go. But she did. A small piece of her heart tore as she drew away, smiling. "So even," she said. "So, what else did you guys get up to? I want all the details. And I promise not to run away this time." As to prove this by locking them together, Margo took hold of Odette's arm, though mostly it was just an excuse to touch her again. Did she know that was what she was doing? Not really. Not much. A bit. Was it wrong, when Odette was with Harley? No! Margo was only being friendly. She didn't like girls like that! Right?

Odette felt an immense flood of relief as the reality of the situation sank in. She was really making things up with Margo. Things were fine. Back in the train, she had been so sure she had lost her best friend forever. It had hardly registered that she had probably never called Margo her best friend to her face before. It was true though, and they both knew it. As the other girl hugged her, she laughed and wrapped her arms around her in return. As Margo pulled away, Odette gave her a grin. "Has anyone ever told you you give the best hugs?" She asked her, giving her a playful nudge. Her smile fell away slightly as the other girl asked for details about her relationship with Harley. While she was glad to share stories with Margo, talking about this had caused the problems last time. Even though Margo insisted she wouldn't run away, Odette wasn't sure if she wanted to risk it. Glancing at the girl as she took her arm, she shrugged. "It's not really that interesting. We mostly just hang out and sometimes kiss." She said with a small shrug. It felt like a betrayal, calling her time with Harley not very interesting, but at the same time she couldn't imagine anyone aside from Harley being interested in the details. "I still missed you," she said, though she knew she was repeating herself. "What did you end up doing during the holidays? Did your sisters treat you okay?" She jokingly held up one arm, pretending to flex her muscles. "I can beat them up for you if they didn't."

Margo tilted her head back as she laughed. No - nobody had ever told her she gave the best hugs. As far as she could recall, nobody had ever even used the words 'best' and 'you' in a sentence together while talking to her. The compliment pleased her so much that she hardly noticed the smile fall from Odette's face when she asked about Harley again. Truth be told, she wasn't sure why she was so interested. She wanted to know how it all had begun - how Odette had known that she liked girls - what it felt like to kiss one - but none of the questions seemed appropriate to ask. For one thing, they'd only just made up again, but also, what if Odette began to suspect something? Margo didn't have a problem with anybody else's sexuality, but considering her own made her feel... uncomfortable. Her family never spoke openly about that sort of thing. Even periods, for some reason, were taboo, despite the family being dominated by females. The closest thing Margo had received to 'the talk' was an informative leaflet her mother left on her bedside table when she was fourteen. What would they think if she tried to talk to them about this - whatever this was? Margo forced a laugh. "Cynthia's got a boyfriend," she said. "I'm not supposed to know, but I heard her on the phone, and she was definitely talking to a boy. Brogan's insufferable, as always. Urgh!" She started mimicking her sister. "'Do you think this thirty-six million word essay will be enough, or should I actually go to France so I can take pictures of myself in front of the Eiffel Tower?' Honestly, it's no wonder she's Mum's favourite. I spent the whole holiday just trying to avoid her." She rolled her eyes. "I'm so glad to be back. Aren't you?"

Odette could tell her compliment had affected Margo, and it made her feel all the more guilty for never really saying anything like that before. Margo was wonderful, but no one ever told her that. Odette needed to fix that, but she couldn't start saying it too much either or it would look fake and like she was trying too hard. Talking about Harley made her uncomfortable, Odette wanted to keep the two separate as much as she could. Odette was glad Margo went along with the change in subject, but as the girl started talking she also found she was actually interested in hearing about Margo's home life. When she had visited Margo's home, she had marvel led at how busy and lively her house was, how nice her parents had been. Though even back then, she hadn't had a very high opinion about Margo's sisters. Odette now had experience with a sister of her own, and was starting to think they were just the worst. As far as she could tell, Margo's sisters were the main reason Margo was so insecure. For that alone, she would like to practice a few hexes on them. "Just because she talked to a boy, doesn't mean she's dating him. Though it depends on what you heard." Odette smirked. "If you're not supposed to know, perhaps you could use the information to make her do something for you." Then she paused, realizing this was the sort of behavior she was trying to cull. "Or... you could tell her you're cool with it, support her. I guess. No clue what to do about Brogan though, she sounds horrible." Odette didn't think parents were supposed to have favorites, but that was a naive thought. Mothers were also not supposed to dislike their children, but her mother managed that. "You're literally learning magic, how is an essay about the Eiffel Tower better than that? Just wait, in a couple of years you can show what you've learned at school. They'll be amazed i bet." Margo's question about being back made her pause. Hogwarts hadn't always been a great place for Odette, but it still beat being at home with her mother. "Yeah, I am. I'm excited about Quidditch, mostly." She said with a small shrug. "I'm captain, I can't remember if I told you." That was a lie. She knew she hadn't. Margo had ran out of the compartment before she could. "You should cheer me on in the games, even the one against Ravenclaw."

"Oh, he is definitely her boyfriend," Margo said, giving Odette a look in the hopes of not having to explain what she'd heard. The thought to use the information against Cynthia had never crossed Margo's mind. It was something Cynthia might have done to her, a few years ago, but not now. She was growing up, maturing, and Margo wanted to as well. She smiled at Odette's alternative reaction. "Yeah, I could do that." Maybe the distance between Margo and her sisters wasn't entirely their fault. Now that she thought about it, she'd never really said or done anything nice for them, either. Margo grinned, nudging Odette with her elbow. "Thanks." They had only been made up for two minutes and already Margo felt more optimistic about the year ahead. Suddenly she gasped. "What?! Omigod, no way. I mean, yes way - you're amazing, and they would actually have to be crazy not to make you captain. I'll be there at every game." She squealed, doing a little jump without letting go of Odette's arm. "This is going to be the best year."

Margo's tone combined with the look she gave Odette made her laugh, shaking her head. "I'll take your word for it. Gross." She said, grinning slightly. She was a little embarrassed by her first reaction. Was blackmail really where her mind went first? Odette was glad Margo ignored it and reacted only to her second suggestion. "I mean, if she's still horrible to you after at least you took the moral high ground you know? She'll have to live with that." She said with a slight smile. "And maybe she'll appreciate it." It was nice to talk like this again. Things still felt a little precarious, like it could fall apart at any moment, but it also felt warm and familiar. Margo's reaction to her news of being captain made her blush a little. It pleased her more than she wanted to admit, though she rolled her eyes good-naturedly. "It's fine, you don't have to." She said, though a part of her really hoped she would be there. Having someone in the stands just for her would be kind of wonderful. "I think it'll be a decent year. Better than the last, at least." She smiled at Margo. "Glad we're friends again." She muttered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back