Thinking

Katerina laughed along with Yvan, happily. He had a rather infectious laugh, she noted. "I couldn't climb trees, my goodness, I could break a nail or something," she said, continuing to laugh. "But that does sound like quite a lot of fun. Especially terrorising first years." She grinned, wickedly. Katerina wasn't one to flirt with students from the other schools - she wasn't particuarly flirtatious at all, come to think of it. "I like the way you think!" she exclaimed, chuckling happily.

"I do too," he said after his laughter had died down. "See? Aren't we having fun right now?" Smiling smugly, he was surprised himself that he was indeed having this much fun with Katerina. If Nic or Dom were present, Yvan was convinced they would certainly think twice about calling Katerina 'Ice Queen'. He for one, was glad he had never once called her that.

Katerina nodded. "Indeed. I would call this much more fun than sitting on the boat and studying obsessively," she stated. Katerina was surprised - in a good way, of course - that she could have so much fun talking with one of the Durmstrang boys. She had been worried that they all hated her. Of course, Yvan was her friend, but he was also a good friend of Nic's, and she and Nic weren't exactly on the healthiest of terms. She was pleased and relieved to discover that Yvan didn't hate her. Although he was one of the only Durmstrang students on this trip that she talked to, she felt as though she didn't need numerous friends and acquaintances, and was happy just to be with her close friends, like Yvan. Even if she found herself struggling not to blush when he smiled at her.

Yvan too was thinking of how he much preferred Katerina's company than most of the other Durmstrang students. There was a pleasant ease about her, a contagious one at that.
"Wow. You know who I have not seen in so long? Yvonne. I wonder where she is these days," he stated, mostly in curiosity.

"Hmm." Katerina looked pensive for a moment. "I have not seen her around either. I feel terrible about that," she added, earnestly. "She is my room-mate, but I haven't really seen her since we arrived. I think she may have returned home." She hung her head, feeling ashamed for not paying more attention. She rarely even saw Angelica. Now that she thought about it, she really missed Vonnie. Even if they weren't the closest of friends, they still got on well together. "I have not seen Apollinariya much, either," she added, not feeling as sad about that. Katerina and Apollinariya had never gotten along very well at all.

Yvan shrugged, not at all sure where either Yvonne or Apollinariya were. He considered Yvonne like a sister, and felt bad that he could not even make sense of her absence. Apollinariya on the other hand, he did not even consider a friend. Yvan was only on name basis with her, but he had never formally participated in a conversation with her. "You are right, I think she may have gone home. Have you considered returning though?"

"I haven't," Katerina stated, truthfully. Although it seemed so many people were returning - it was the same for Hogwarts Scotland, apparently - Katerina had never once contemplated leaving. She was enjoying being in New Zealand, even if it didn't seem like it. And she knew leaving would be showing the ultimate weakness. She was disappointed she wasn't chosen, of course, but she wasn't going to let it show. At least, not too obviously.
"I made a commitment to come here, and I'm sticking it out. Somebody has to support Cameron," she added, with a sly smile. She suspected the boys - well, perhaps not Yvan - would all be too busy flirting to pay attention to the TriWizard Tournament. "Have you considered leaving?" she asked, hoping he hadn't. She wanted him to stay in New Zealand with her, and not return to Durmstrang. She didn't know what she'd do if Yvan left, too.

"I rather enjoy it here too much to even consider leaving. Besides, it's healthy to leave home once in a while." Yvan had thought of going home once, but only for the Winter holidays. Besides, he was here also to support his friend Cameron. Smiling he added, "I'm glad you chose to stay then too."

"I agree, it is wonderful here," Katerina said, softly. She felt the colour rise in her cheeks again as Yvan smiled, so she turned her head slightly and gazed out at the lake, watching as the sun began to set and the sky turned pink. She pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs. "I suppose we ought to return to the boat soon..." she stated, despite the fact that she was perfectly happy sitting and reflecting by the lake.

Yvan too watched as the sun began to set, seemingly behind the lake. The clouds were orange, and the surrounding sky deemed a darkening pink, fading away higher in the sky. When the sunlight sunk lower and a ray beamed strongly in the lake water, Yvan squinted his eyes away from the beautiful view and turned back to Katerina, smiling. "Come on then, it'll be dark soon," he said as he got to his feet, offering a hand to help her up.

Katerina smiled gently at Yvan as he offered his hand to her. "Thank you," she said, sweetly, as she took his hand and stood up. "Thanks for, you know, inviting me to the ball, too, and listening to me ramble," she added, a little embarassed.

"I rambled just as much," he smiled. With that he led Katerina along the lakeshore to where the Durmstrang boat was beached, his eyes peeled in front of himself as he tried not to glance too much into Katerina's direction. Friends, he repeated in thought. Just friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back