Thinking Positive... Not Coming Too Easy Today

Vanessa Parker

Vanessa sighed. She was having one of those bad days that everyone gets once in a while. For her, it was less often that she had them. But since her best friend had died, she had gotten them more often. This was one of them. Nothing could keep her thoughts positive. She could only think about the bad things that had happened to her. She was writing furiously on her paper, getting her feelings out. She had done that ever since she had gotten bad days.
</FONT>
Piece of Paper said:
Dear piece of paper,
Anger sometimes washes over me like a wave. I don't know why or how, but it does. Then, when I try to think positive, I end up being sad as well. UGH! Writing can't even help me now. I really doubt that it will. Might as well try being creative.
~V.I.P.

Fire burning in me
Destruction all around me
As far as can be
<FONT font="Comic Sans MS">The point of the pencil broke. Vanessa groaned. She could only write a bad haiku and now she wouldn't be able to try to write anything better. She didn't want to go back inside and get another pencil. She noticed a girl nearby who looked a little younger than her. She realized that meeting a new person might make her feel better. This thought made her a little happier. She went over to the girl, smiling.

"Hey, I'm Vanessa," she said. "It's nice out, isn't it?"

It was just one of those casual days.
Sam was no where in sight and the lake was too chilly to go swimming.
Instead Sephora was sitting underneath a tree sketching the scenery away.

"I'm going to be so sick of sketching this lake someday..." She muttered to herself as she erased the last lines of the trees surrounding the lake.

Sketching in deep concentration, she didn't hear the approaching steps of a girl next to her she jumped and flustered to grab the papers that scattered everywhere;

"Oh! Hi Vanessa...sorry, I'm..er...Sephora" She gave the girl a shy smile before placing her art back into her bag;
"Sorry, you startled me but yes, it is nice out today" She blushed in embarrassment.

Vanessa continued to smile as she recognized the girl as a fellow Hufflepuff. She had seen her in the common room a few times. She felt a little bad for startling the girl. "Why is it that you meet so many people by scaring them? Gosh," she muttered. She sighed. It was hopeless trying to keep a good mood when her brain was being mean.

"Nice to meet you, Sephora," she said. "Sorry about startling you. My brain is busy which causes me to do things before I think them through." She didn't mention that her brain was busy thinking negative thoughts because she knew that nobody wanted to be near someone who was having a bad day.

It looked like Sephora had been drawing. Probably the lake. Vanessa would have done that, but the lake would end up looking like a blob. She lacked great art skills. She could write, though, except when she was having a bad day or had writer's block or both. "Sketching the lake, I suppose? Many people do it," she said. "Not me, though. I'm more of a writer than an artist."

Sephora gave the girl another smile;
"Don't worry about it, my brain is like that sometimes too" She ruffled her blonde hair and stared out at the lake.

"Yeah...this lake, it's kinda boring to sketch now. I think I've sketched it a thousand times." She threw a pebble towards the lake and heard the soft 'pop' of the pebble breaking the lake's surface.

"A Writer? Wow, I wish I could write stories but I'm not too great when it comes to the apostrophes and the full stops" she giggled and looked up to the girl; "...although, even if I could, my handwriting isn't exactly the neatest in the world and any source of inspiration would be talking to those paintings in the staircase" she winked and took out her art book and flicked the pages;
"See this duck. yeah. Some painting on the first floor thought it would be awesome if a duck wore a pirates eye patch and....This picture of a cat eating peas was random, I think that massive painting on the fourth floor told me that story about his cat and the bowl of peas." Her face grew pinker when she showed the girl named Vanessa her paintings, although it was nice to share it with someone other than Sam.

"wellll...she probably thinks I'm crazy now. No one talks to the paintings around here" she thought.

Vanessa felt better when Sephora said that her brain was like that sometimes, as well. So the girl didn't think she was crazy. That was good. Maybe they would be able to become friends. Her bad mood had almost completely vanished. She smiled.

"Well," she said. "There's other things in nature to sketch. But the lake seems interesting. I haven't paid it much attention, to be honest. I have recently, though.' She watched as the pebble hit the lake surface. She imagined it falling to the bottom, through all of the water. It was interesting. She made a mental note of this for an inspiration.

"Yeah, it comes to me naturally," Vanessa said before looking at her pictures. "Wow, you can really draw. And talking to the paintings? I've never done it. I've just had a feeling that they won't like me. I annoy people, so why can't I annoy paintings?"

Sephora thought for a moment before answering her question; "Because paintings have nothing better do, all they do is roam around other paintings sorting out the same old problems like that stupid hippo problem on the 7th floor and plus, I think they'd rather listen to our problems rather than all the other paintings." She gave the girl a warm smile before turning back to her art book;

"There's a lot of nice scenery around here, but the lake is the one i'm drawn to the most - don't know why, probably because there's a giant squid in the lake?" she scratched her head and gave a hesitant laugh.

"So what kind of stories do you write?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back