They say music brings together.

Alex Sheffield

OOC First Name
Patrick
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curved 13 Inch Flexible Walnut Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Alex had just finished practising the guitar before entering the student lounge. He had the guitar packed in his bag and he was carrying it by the handles on the bag. He didn't see any of the faces he knew. However, not being the youngest generation in the school felt good. He saw people smaller and younger than him. Thinking about that, he accidentally bumps into one of the small first years, and keeps his mouth shut.

Minerva Khulik had decided enough was enough, she had done nothing but listen to her mother and father throughout the holidays telling her that she had to make friends, she had to put herself out there! They didn't listen to all the times she had told them that she had tried but she just wasn't built to make friends, it wasn't that easy. She just didn't have the skills, the people skills needed not to mind the other type of skills required to be all friendly with her peers. Norton was different, so she had spoken about him a lot when she could no longer tolerate her parents berating her efforts as if it were her fault. Could they not just understand that not every needed twenty something friends, she was happy with one!

But she did want to tell them that she had tried and so had made her way to the student lounge and sat like a statue waiting to smile and say hello if that was what it took to have people she didn't know befriend her. Of course it didn't work that way, fellow first years just smiled politely at her as they passed in and out but that's all that happened. Eventually she felt it was too much, smiling was hurting her jaw, she needed to just go and find something constructive to do. Minerva stood up and took all of two steps away from the chair when an older boy bumped into her. Minerva stood there a moment, waiting for his apology but the boy simply kept his mouth shut.

She stared up at him, she knew she was small, she was one of the smallest in her class, in her year in fact but surely he could see her especially now after almost running her over.
"It is customary to say sorry... I think that is what normal homo-sapiens do, it doesn't matter what blood status you are, a decent ounce of humanity would dictate that an apology for almost walking over me was in order!" perhaps she had over reacted but she was tired of this whole ordeal now, trying to put herself out there had gotten her nothing but a bump to the shoulder from whatever hard thing he was carrying. Minerva looked to the object in a strange bag looking thing and found herself frowning before looking up at him again.

Alex stood there in silence for just a while longer to make it a bit more awkward for a little longer, but he couldn't stay silent for too long before laughing. He liked the way she talked and thought. The overreaction was something he hoped to get out of this. He leaned over, inspecting Minevra for any visible injuries he could have caused. He was sincerely sorry, staying quiet was against his nature.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry, lass. I didn't see you there. You're right, I apologize, that was a crappy move from me."

He noticed her looking down to the guitar case he must have hit her with, frowning.

"Oh-... I'm sorry, stupid guitar case. I carry it everywhere, and it's massive.. For my size. It was only a matter of time before I hit someone. Sorry it had to be you."

He smiled nervously, scratching behind his ear, hoping he made good enough of an apology. He didn't really want to upset anyone, but he wasn't going to beg for forgiveness. It was just a bump after all.

Minerva fumed inwardly as the boy began to laugh, she surmised that he was rudely laughing at her and she had no idea why! Did something about her appear funny, did she have something stuck on her face or was he just making fun of her like others did quite often. Her moment of silent fuming became a moment of outrage as he leaned over her, emphasizing just how short she was, she had no idea he was looking to see if he had physically hurt her and when he spoke all she could do was let her mouth hang open. What was it about this school and strange accents!!?

"V e r y" she stated looking at him as if he were some bizarre being until he said a very magic word indeed. Guitar! Just like that the boy wasn't so bizarre anymore, he was magical or at the very least what was inside the bag was.

"I could tell it was too much for you to carry, judging by your height and weight and how you lean when you carry the bag, favouring that side ... it is obviously too much for you to carry. You'll grow into it" she said matter of factly, "that is alright, your apology is acceptable, thank you. It did have to be someone right enough. Do you leave the guitar" she said the word like it was some spiritual being, like it was a lost family member that she just wanted to embrace dearly, "in the bag or do you actually take it out to play?"

Oh please, please let him take the guitar out and please let him not be useless at playing it, don't let it just be for show so he can pick up girls or boys with! She sighed inwardly letting her thoughts race ahead of themselves as she looked from the boy to the bag and back again.

"I would bring my own instrument but I would definitely be leaning more to the ground with it's weight if I were to try carrying it ... and it never came with a bag of its own" she wished she did have her piano with her or even knew if the school had one. What she wouldn't give just to play something now!

Alex instantly chuckled at her initial reaction to his accent. The mouth hanging open was a new way to react to an apology. He was truly sorry and he didn't want to make this situation any worse. The way she emphasized the word 'very' made him very embarrassed, instinctively lifting his hand over to his shoulder.

"Eh, it's bulkly but I can handle it... Probably.. ", sighing shortly after out of relief. "Thank you, for accepting. Oh, the guitar? The bag is only for transport, of course I play it, that's all I do!" A big smile spread across his face as someone took interest in his hobby. His hand was already on the zipper, playing with it, ready to open the bag up at any time.

"Oh.. Must be something grand then. Let me guess, a Cello...Contrabass? It's nice meeting someone who's also into music."

She could forgive the boy anything now, he played the guitar and apparently that was all he did. Her pale green eyes lit up with pure delight and it took all her will power to control the urge to jump up and down and clap her hands excitedly as she saw his fingers move to the zipper on the bag.

"What type of guitar is it?" she asked, clasping her fingers together so as not to reach out and open the bag for herself. At the mention of other instruments, Minerva shook her head, she should probably have been more specific but every one else did the whole sarcasm and joke thing so well, yet whenever she tried it - it seemed to fail miserably. Maybe it was how she said it or what she said.

"Very grand actually" she gave a slight grimace, "It's a Steinway ... grand piano. It's been in the family for a while now, I think my great-grandmother used to play. Did you know that Heinrich Steinweg was actually muggleborn? Only a remarkable wizard could create something so glorious as the piano. I mean his pianos have won gold medals, can you imagine that ... pianos! Not the people playing them but the instrument!"

She knew she was rattling on but they were talking her language now and the boy could hit her over the head twenty more times and it wouldn't matter to her. Glancing around her, she noted that there wasn't too many left in the student lounge and although she herself had been about to leave, she genuinely couldn't now - not if this boy was going to play something.

"I'm Minerva ... Min-Err-Vah Khulik" she broke it down a little for him and his strange accent, he obviously wasn't a Kiwi like herself and though her name was far from her country of origin, she thought it might still be a wee bit tricky for some people to say ... especially when they spoke so differently.

Alex quickly realized Minevras excitement at the talk of music. He understood her, and she probably understood him. This was his moment to shine, to brag about the guitar and his skills. It was really the only thing he had going for him so why not show it off.

"It's a Gibson J-45."He smiled proudly, unzipping the guitar container, sliding the brownish guitar with a black fade on the edges. He held it proudly. It was quite big for his size, but he held it like a toy, spinning it around in his hands, showing it off.

"A piano! Oh fascinating, I always wanted to learn how to play one, I just.. Never got around to starting it. Well, my family couldn't afford one. This guitar is all I had so I focused on mastering this skill. It's great to have something like that in the family."
He scratched his chin a bit, before responding.
"Steinway, yes.. I heard of him but I had no idea he was a wizard at all.. Hah."
He felt a bit embarrassed. He was muggleborn, after all. There was no way he could know this.
"You see, I'm muggleborn.. So I have no idea who the famous wizards are. But I'm sure he's quite remarkable!"
He didn't mind the girl going on about the thing she was interested. He expected if he listened to her, then she'll listen to him when he goes off about the bands he listens to and the songs he can play.

"Oh, how terribly rude of me, I'm Alexander Sheffied, like the town, but just call me Alex. Nice t' meet you, lass."

He smiled, carrying the guitar in his hand over to a couch nearby. Spinning it around in his hand, he placed it into his lap, positioning his hands over the neck to form a chord, clutching his index finger and thumb to make a pick with his fingers. She could see his longer nails on the two fingers used for strumming.

"How about a song? I have a couple of my own, I write songs in my free time."

Though Minerva understood pianos, she knew nothing whatsoever about guitars. The only reason she had been allowed to have lessons was because she had hugged that piano senseless since she was eight months old and as soon as she could stand on her own and touch the keys, she barely left it alone. The family were not rich by any means but as Minerva had never asked for anything else her entire existence, her parents got the money together for her, with the help of her paternal grandmother.

She watched him unzip the case and her eyes widened in awe, her mouth parted as she stared at the beautiful instrument before her. It didn't matter a jot that it did look too big for him but she was right in saying he would grow into it ... unless he came from a long line of short people! Minerva couldn't help but give a smile when he informed her that his family were pretty much like her own, unable to afford lessons. He began sharing other things with her too, Minerva was stunned at his honesty and felt a sense of camaraderie with the boy, standing there face to face or chin to crown at least talking about music, family, affluence or the lack thereof.

"My great-grandmother was a muggle born as well ... she was supposed to be a great one for making up a grand story, so no one ever knew if what she ever said was true or not" she shrugged then gave an impulsive start as an idea dawned on her, "I could totally help you with any wizarding stuff if you help me with any muggle studies stuff. I haven't had that class yet but I'm completely dreading it."

He introduced himself then and Minerva had no idea what town he was talking of, was it the Alexander or the Sheffield part? He didn't elaborate and she didn't ask as he was moving to a nearby couch to sit down. She stood for a moment glancing around her as a few other students were looking towards them. The guitar had obviously gotten a fan following since it had been removed from its case. She knew she had been on her way out but she seriously couldn't just leave now, she desperately wanted to hear him play.

Minerva walked over then and sat on the edge of the small table that was just before the couch, she wanted to see his hands on the strings, wanted to see the music as it was played and knew she couldn't do that if she were sitting off to the side. He spoke again and Minerva felt her insides burn ... he wrote his own songs! If she hadn't a good head on her shoulders she seriously thought she could have fallen head over heels right there and then but it was a good thing that it was all about the music for her, no matter that now she blushed as she looked at his hands on the guitar.

"Yes please" she answered wistfully, aching to hear him sing and play now.

Alex nodded as she told him about her grandmother, glad that they're exchanging stories. He always liked to meet new people, and Minerva seemed like a person he'd like to meet even more. Guitar in hand, he slid his hand up and down the neck of the guitar, making a swirling noise, annoying to some, cool to others.

"Yeah, that sounds like a deal. I know all things muggle, I guess. I'll make sure to talk to you first if I have any random questions... Now..."

He slides his hand up to the top of the neck, placing his index finger over the second fret, covering all six of the strings. He uses his middle finger to press the second to last string to the third fret, and the other two fingers to press the next two on the fourth fret. All in all, the 'Hm' chord is formed, and the first strum comes down onto the strings, strumming up and down. The song begins.
After a short intro, Alex kicks in with his voice, his heavy accent still present. Alex was proud to play his first song in front of an audience of strangers for the first time.

"I thought I saw you standing
On the corner of the street.
You stood alone there, waiting for,
For someone to meet."

During the first verse he'd switch from various chords. From the initial 'Hm', to the higher pitched 'D', to the lower 'Em', onto 'F#m', and so on. He'd wield these chords quite skillfully, doing the transitions correctly, making it all sound nicely in the process.
You could see the red in Alex'es cheeks. He liked the attention, but he was still quite nervous, however, that didn't affect his performance. He has practiced this a thousand times already.

The tempo changes suddenly as what seems to be a chorus kicks in, as he raises the volume of his voice a bit.

"And there's a couple of things,
That flew into my mind.
Like a vision of you and I,
Looking at what tomorrow brings."

This time the same chords, but in a different order, and at a much powerful strumming pattern. During the pause after the chorus, Alex looked up to see the reactions of people, panting slightly, giving Minerva a shy smile as the tune keeps going.

Minerva couldn't believe her luck, this term looked as if it were charmed somehow. First Norton, then Elly and now Alexander ... she felt as if she must have drunk some liquid luck because suddenly making friends seemed to be a lot easier than it ever had before and Alexander was willing to help her in all things muggle which was fantastic! She would definitely ask him about the possibility of getting her a fix of what had fast become her favourite chocolate bar of all time thanks to Elly, a Twix!

Now however she crossed her legs and sat on the small table watching him as his fingers danced like a perfectly tuned instrument themselves along the different chords. It sounded ... great. Even that first few bars before he began to sing, she could tell that he had what she didn't. He was a natural at this ... she had to work so damned hard to be as good as she was on the piano but all she had was technique, the passion in her playing had never materialised and here it was, as if all the musical talent in the world had been poured into this one person.
He began to sing and she noted that she could still make out that strange accent of his but it suited the song, it suited the words and Minerva felt entranced. His fingers continued to stroke the strings lovingly, he was so engrossed in the music, in his song and Minerva felt envious, utterly jealous of him.

The tempo of the music changed, she didn't notice his reddening cheeks or recognise that he might be nervous in any way, her eyes were completely focused on the way he played, on how his voice filled the room as everyone in it went silent. The chorus laced into her and she inhaled deeply, this was so unfair! As the tempo picked up again, she changed the focus of her gaze to look at Alexander, the muggle born boy who had a magical talent with the guitar, he looked up at her and smiled ... she did her best to smile back but she couldn't. Her heart felt heavy and like a rock in her chest.

She would never be this good, no matter how hard she practiced and suddenly it was as if he had stolen the one great thing about her. He had made her own playing seem ordinary, mundane and she wished now that she had never been banged on the head by him, or had noticed his guitar or wanted him to play.

Keeping her face as impassive as she possibly could she let her legs dangle down from the table to touch the floor, her hands now clasped tightly in her lap waiting for him to finish.

As his hands went along, his smile died down as he saw Minerva's expression.. Or lack there of. She wasn't giving any signs of enjoyment, and the only explanation that came to him is that he messed up. Were the chords all wrong? Are the lyrics poorly written? It didn't matter. All he knew was that he messed up. But he couldn't stop there, so he had to finish it. A few minor mistakes, unnoticeable to someone who doesn't have a knack for music, slipped into his strumming pattern, as the song continued.

"And there's a couple of things,
I'd really want to see,
Like a picture of you and me,
Waiting to see what tomorrow brings."

The tempo and tone changed once again to a lower, darker tone, as the ending finally arrived to the song.

"But I'm afraid of what it brings,
And it might be just the thing that stings.
So I try my damnest to forget a couple of things."

He strummed the last stroke to end the song on a F#m. A few smiles across the room, a quiet clap he didn't notice, Alex wasn't too disappointed, nor was he too thrilled, but his attention went over to Minerva. He waited for the crowd to dissipate, as he put away the guitar back into it's container, shoving it besides the armchair, out of sight of others.
"So yeah-.. Just a hobby.. I'd love to hear you play sometime, really."

She noticed the slight errors, she may not have known the song like he did but it just sounded ... off, the tiniest of frowns creased her brown momentarily until his voice began again, the words were becoming impaled on her subconscious and she knew she wouldn't be able to get rid of them, that she'd fall asleep tonight and they'd be there laughing at her for not being as good as Alexander. Her eyes moistened and she pursed her lips tightly together to stop any wayward tears of anguish from emitting. Rapidly blinking seemed to do the job and as the tempo changed yet again, Minerva bit her lower lip on the last line.

'I try my damndest to forget a couple of things' how on earth was she ever to forget that she heard that, that she had been a witness to that sort of beauty and genius. The last stroke seemed to vibrate through her being and with it a gentle clapping started and stopped without Minerva paying much attention to any of it.

She looked from his guitar, that beautiful exotic instrument and then looked at Alexander, he had in the brief time she had known him utterly and completely ripped her heart out. He had put a mirror up before her and shown her what she was not and what she could never be. Stubborness became her only friend as her chin tilted ... was he for real? He had to be joking, how could she play any where near him after that, he'd laugh at her and then everyone would know that she was nothing, had always been nothing. This getting to know new people sucked, big time.

"Aroha ahau reira" she muttered in Maori, a language of New Zealand and it's natives that she had learned as a young girl. She wasn't going to say 'I love it' in English, she couldn't bring herself too but she couldn't not say it either but in English she did speak eventually. Taking a steadying breath she stood up and nodded her head slightly.

"Yeah ... you need to watch the rifts but great hobby otherwise" she put her hands into her pockets, still desperately wanting to touch the guitar, "There isn't a piano here ... I don't think, so maybe sometime."
She shrugged and looked about then remembering she was leaving initially, glanced back at him, "Thanks again for that, I got to go though. I'll watch my head next time I see you around" she tried to keep it on a light note when what she wanted to do was rip his heart out of his chest as he had just done to her, even if he didn't have a clue! Minerva turned from the table, the couch and Alexander and began to walk to the door to leave and all the while his song was playing in her head like a broken record.

Alex stared blankly at her, blinking more frequently as she uttered the Maori phrase, clueless to what it meant. A small part of him thought she mocked him in some way, but his emotions remained the same. This wasn't the best day in his life, still he kept up the friendly vibe he tired to maintain, even after disappointing this girl.

"That's a shame.." He really did want to listen to her play. The piano is one of the instruments he respects the most.
He forces a chuckle as she prepares to leave.

"I'll make sure I don't carry it at your height then.."
The smile fades as she leaves. He leaves out a deep sigh, nodding at a few of the students there still looking at the guitar, before picking the guitar up and heading for the exit as well. He swung the guitar bag over his shoulder, so he, indeed, couldn't hit anyone with it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back