The time to study

Jessica Tenterfield

Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curved 13 1/2 Inch Swishy Maple Wand with Billywig Stinger Core
Jessica was very behind in her homework. Homework in the wizarding world was even more difficult than the Muggle world according to Jessica. Jessica had spent hours of her time in the library browsing for books as resources and trying to make something out of them. It had never worked. She'd get there in the end though, and she knew that.

It was time to write her essay about Merlin for History of Magic. Merlin had seemed like a really interesting person that Jessica knew nothing about. She had heard people in the wizarding world use the name as a cursive word but it was nothing like that in the Muggle world. Muggles use made up words that wizards and witches probably don't know what they mean either.

She opened the book and read the first page of the first chapter. Merlin was a very powerful wizard by the looks of it. But he also seemed quite kind for a Slytherin. He had created a Muggle organisation to stop witches and wizards casting spells on them all the time but when he died someone changed it to an organisation where you give awards to people for their achievements. Jessica wondered why they had changed it to something completely different. It was a bit rude in Jessica's perspective as Merlin had spent ages making it and then they just go and change it.

Jessica got out her parchment and quill to jot down notes. She didn't want this to all just fade from her mind and she couldn't bother borrowing the book to help that. She'd just have to come back if she misses something or her essay is just too short and she needs more information. Suddenly a hand was placed on the girl's shoulder. She turned around, startled, wondering who it might be. She hadn't made any friends yet and she deeply hoped that it wasn't a Professor. Her parents won't be happy with her if it was something bad.

Isabelle hurried into the classroom, frantically checking the time. Good, she still had an hour until Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Styx had assigned eight inches of parchment on the effects of dark magic, and Isabelle had no idea where to start. She couldn't help but curse her Muggle heritage, not for the first time feeling a stab of misplacement and loneliness.

The library was pleasantly filled, with a small number of students clustered at desks or lounging on the carpet. All were immersed in great leather-bound tomes. Isabelle sighed, sweeping her long brown hair into a loose bun. Well this was amusing, she thought. It wasn't often one found Isabelle in a library. Despite her knack for remembering and absorbing information, Isabelle would much rather explore the outdoors than spend hours reading books.

After ten minutes of unsuccessful searching Isabelle was about ready to give up. She couldn't understand any of the information in the books; all required previous background information or were too tedious to read. The clock read 45 minutes remaining. Isabelle was starting to get desperate.

Suddenly, she spotted a pretty brunette sitting alone at a table. She seemed intent on deciphering a large book entitled Merlin: His Life and Legacy. Pausing to plaster on a friendly smile, Isabelle walked cautiously over to the girl, tapping her shoulder lightly with her fingers. "Excuse me, but do you think you could help? I've got an essay to write in 45 minutes, and if I don't turn in something, Professor Styx will crucify me." She gazed imploringly at the girl with large, brown eyes.

Jessica's heart was beating. Who could it be? Turning around, she spotted an innocent Gryffindor who was in her first year. She took a of relief. Thank god it wasn't a Professor. She'd be in big trouble and she hasn't yet spent a month at Hogwarts. She didn't want to be kicked out now. Hopefully the girl just wanted to be friends. Jessica loves friends. Especially when they are magical like herself.

"Oh, Hello!" she replied. The girl had asked her if she could help her with an essay. Jessica supposed that it would be OK and she could easily just finish her's off in the common room that night. This girl was in a dilemma and Jessica had plenty of time to hand her's in. "Sure, I'll help you! What should we do first?" she said, closing up her book. Being helpful was one of Jessica's specialties and Jessica couldn't let anyone down.

"Oh, and I'm Jessica Tenterfield! It's nice to meet you!" she added, putting her hand out for the girl to shake "I'm a Muggle-born so I might not know much. I'm sure these books could help us though!" she said, indicating all the bookshelves around them. Books were always helpful in bad situations. For small things that could fit in your bags, they sure are helpful and have a lot of information! The best part is that you can carry them around.

Isabelle's large chocolate eyes observed the girl. She was pretty, with thick brown hair and delicate face. Isabelle noticed her Hufflepuff lapel, and smiled. So far, all the Hufflepuffs she had met were extremely nice, and this girl...Jessica...seemed the same. "Thank you so much," she gushed. "I'm Muggle-born too. To be totally honest, I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the amazing magic and such. Hogwarts is so incredible, but a lot more difficult than I expected." Isabelle's smile faltered slightly as the snide voice in her head reminded her of her ineptitude. You're not good enough, it whispered. You're a mistake.

She swallowed her misgivings and pulled out a chair next to Jessica. They grabbed a stack of books, and began to read. As she worked, Isabelle chatted with Jessica, who was pleasantly very talkative. "So how are you liking Hogwarts so far?" she asked, brushing a strand of dark brown hair out of her eyes.

Jessica listened to the girl as she talked about how difficult Hogwarts was than in the Muggle world. Jessica nodded in agreement and watched as the girl pulled out a chair to sit next to her. When the girl had asked a question about Hogwarts, Jessica didn't hesitate "There are so many more classes and more essays to write and it just makes everything a lot harder. But I'd do anything to stay in this wonderful place. Magic is just so interesting! The Ministry of Magic seems a bit strict though. I wish I could take a look at it! It's meant to be really big and filled with a lot of peculiar things! I can't wait to learn about them if we ever do." She talked away like she normally does when she meets new people. She can't really help it though, it's just a thing of hers.

After a lot of talking about things that probably don't really interest the girl, Jessica came back to her senses "Oh! I'm really sorry! What's your name?" she asked her. Jessica blushed. She was too busy talking about random things that she was too ignorant to ask the girl what her name was. She felt really guilty. If she keeps this up, she'd become one of those Slytherins. Jessica never liked those Slytherins. They were all so mean and lazy.

"Im Isabelle Valentina," she said, a blush creeping up her cheeks. Where had her manners gone? Her grandmother would be rolling over in her grave. But Isabelle, not one for dwelling on negative things, pushed the thought out of her mind and continued chatting. "Have you tried Quidditch yet? I saw you in our flying class earlier, but I mean on your own. Next year I want to apply to be on the team. After I've learned how to, of course. It's not that I'm afraid of heights, it's just...flying on a broomstick? It's so unlike anything I've ever known, I guess it just intimidates me." Isabelle's eyes drifted thoughtfully towards the large window on a nearby wall. The day was nice enough. Perhaps she'd go flying later.

Isabelle looked back towards Jessica. She decided she really liked her; Jessica seemed really intelligent and kind, and that's what Isabelle needed right now. She just hoped she enjoyed adventures, because Isabelle was keen to explore the massive castle.

"Oh. Isabelle is a really pretty name! Do you know where it comes from? My name is generally used in England, but other countries use it too!" The topic of names intrigued Jessica. It was interesting to find out where they had come from and what they mean. She had read all about her name in a Muggle library before she even knew that she was a witch. She thought it had a wide range throughout the world as most people use it all the time.

"Yes! I think Quidditch is amazing! It is very unusual for a broom to fly in the air. I don't understand how you'd know the difference. But I guess it's everyday life for Wizards and Witches" When Isabelle had mentioned that Jessica was alone in flying class, she thought "Of course I was alone..." But said something completely different. "Yes, I was... I guess I just like it that way... Being alone isn't that bad is it?" she looked up at Isabelle. Of course it was bad. She sees people everyday laughing with their friends and then gets really jealous. If only she had friends like that in the wizarding world that could walk with her to classes everyday like in her Muggle school.

Isabelle blushed, chastising herself for how that came out. "Oh no I didn't mean it like that!" She exclaimed, her hand fluttering nervously to her ruby necklace. "I only ment have you tried Quidditch on your own outside of class. As for standing by yourself, well join the club." Isabelle smiled bashfully. "I was alone too. I guess I just haven't met that many people yet, but I'm learning. Perhaps you and I could stick together, yeah?" Isabelle prayed Jessica would say yes. How embarrassing would it be if she was rejected; then she'd really be on her own. Sure, there was Margo, but the friendly Gryffindor seemed to have already met the rest of the school. It wasn't that Isabelle wasn't friendly, it's just she was always moving at such a fast pace that sometimes others couldn't keep up. Add the fact that feelings aren't exactly your forte, it's pretty understandable why you're so lonely, the voice in her head whispered. Isabelle brushed it away. Feelings just...intimidated her, that's all. There wasn't anything wrong with her, was it? Shaking her head slightly as if to dispel her thoughts, Isabelle turned her attention back to Jessica.
"As for my name, I'm not sure. My family is French but I think Isabelle might be a derivative from 'Isabella,' which is Italian. 'Bella' means beautiful, but I sincerely hope my name's meaning is a little more substantial than just 'pretty.' It'd be so much cooler if it was 'free-spirited' or 'wisdom.'"

Jessica's spirits lifted when Isabelle said that they could go together. Now she'd finally have a friend to walk to classes with and study together more often. "Of course we can stick together!" she said "I've always wanted to stick with people for more than a day" she added. It was true. Every friend she makes never comes back. Probably because they think that Jessica is a bit weird always talking a lot about things that don't really interest them.

When Isabelle had said that her name had meant beautiful, Jessica believed that. Isabelle wasn't one of those nerds with glasses and braces, of course she was beautiful! "Oh, Don't worry. You ARE beautiful! My name means wealth and I was named after my great grandmother. I guess we are kind of wealthy with my father being a famous baker in the Muggle world. Not that you'd know who he is, of course. I don't really call him 'famous', I just call him someone who thinks he is. Not many Muggles even know who he is!

"So, you come from France? I've heard of this magical school in France. Have you been there before? It's said to be nearly as big as Hogwarts! Do you know much about it?"
Jessica had really wanted to know more about the Wizarding World in different countries because they all had their own system in doing things and that is what makes the Wizarding World so interesting for her.

Isabelle smiled shyly, graciously accepting Jessica's compliment. Her mother had always insisted on looking presentable at all times, and she guessed the habit just stuck. Strange to think that a command from her mother would lead to nice things. As much as she tried, Isabelle couldn't help but miss her family just a bit. They had given her a worn old journal to chronicle her adventures, but she hadn't touched it. She couldn't figure out why.

When Jessica asked about France, Isabelle bit her lip, knowing she wasn't very knowledgable when it came to magical topics. "It's something with a 'B,' right? I've heard okay enough things about it, but apparently Hogwarts is the best. My grandparents on my mother's side came from France. That's where I got my first and middle names, Isabelle and Celine. My father is Italian, therefore giving me 'Valentina.' I'm Muggle-born, so I don't know much about the wizarding world. I really want to find out though, but I haven't met any mixed or pure-blood wizards yet. I assume they've been living here for a while and would know more about magic than I do."

Isabelle rolled up her completed scroll of parchment, glad to have finished her work. Jessica was really intelligent; Isabelle was sure she never would have completed the essay on time if the Hufflepuff hadn't helped her. "Do we have any classes together besides flying? I'm trying to remember which classes I take with what houses. I know I have Potions with Slytherin, but then there's Defense Against the Dark Arts and Charms. Do you take those?"

Yes...That's right! It does start with a 'B'! Jessica thought when Isabelle had mentioned it. It did start with a 'B' and it was quite hard to pronounce in Jessica's opinion. Jessica was a bit devastated when Isabelle said that she didn't know much about France. It didn't matter. Jessica would just have to start reading in her spare time to get to know everything about it.

"Yes! I take Charms! But not Defence Against The Dark Arts. Maybe we can go to Charms and Flying together! And we can study for charms too, and since I haven't quite practiced yet for Flying, we can do that together as well! I'm hoping I get on the team. I doubt it though. People seem so much better than me. But I guess the only resolution is to practice with a friend!" she said. Having more than one class with this girl made Jessica happy. If only they took them all together, then they could have study dates.

Jessica smiled when Isabelle had finished her work. Teamwork was always the best thing in Jessica's opinion "Maybe we can meet at the Quidditch Pitch sometime before our next Flying Lesson! I'm sure the Professor would be proud of us then! He is always complementing people when they practice!" Jessica had loved getting good complements off Professor's. Especially house points for her house. She has gotten so many for Hufflepuff that she has lost count and it is already their Second or Third week at Hogwarts.

Isabelle grinned in excitement. "That would be amazing! We definitely need to sit next to each other in Charms. I really like our professor, he's so bubbly! My Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, however, he scares me." Isabelle bit her lip, remembering his cold onyx eyes. She vowed to impress him, to show him that she was worthy of being a Gryffindor. "But, at least I got an 'O' in his class. My parents would kill me if I didn't do well at school. They're the kind of people who expect the best all the time, you know?" Isabelle cast her eyes downward, struggling to hide her vulnerability. Talking about her parents wasn't easy for her, but Jessica seemed like she wouldn't judge Isabelle for her shortcomings. "Sometimes...I don't know...I feel like nothing I ever do will make them proud. I'm sure your parents are lovely people, though." Isabelle peered into Jessica's eyes. They weren't brown, but they weren't green either. They were pretty nonetheless.

Jessica had never really liked scary Professors. Jessica knew that she'd fail in that class. She's a Hufflepuff and a Muggle-born and people had always picked on others like her, especially the Slytherins. It was the same in the Muggle world but for different reasons "My parents expect me to get E or O. They won't quite be happy with an A, but at least then I'd pass!" she said.

Jessica felt sorry for Isabelle because her parents had always excepted the best. Jessica wouldn't know what she'd do if her parents had thought that. "What about your grandma or grandpa? I'm sure they are proud of you! All you have to do is try your best and you'll win no matter what position you've come!" It was true. Jessica had always tried her best and was praised by her mother for it. Not so much her father, he is never proud of what Jessica does because he is always overseas for work. Hopefully he'd quit the job one day and then they would be able to live a normal life again.

Isabelle sighed, a small glow of jealousy forming when Jessica mentioned her parents. "My grandparents aren't much better," she admitted. "My family comes from an aristocratic background, so everything has to be prim and proper. But I'm just not like that!" She wrung her arms, wishing not for the first time that she would be more interested in languages and sewing and tea-sipping. Ugh.

"I just wished they would accept me for who I am. I'm too wild and unpredictable for their liking; they'd rather I'd be seen and not heard." Isabelle rolled her eyes. "Like that'd ever happen. I seem to have an opinion on everything, that's why I liked the debate team so much. It doesn't seem like we have those at Hogwarts, though." After a pause, Isabelle realized there was a lot of things that schools back home had that Hogwarts didn't. Where were the clubs? The sports? The theater productions? It was only magic, all the time, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. But what about some variety?

Prim and proper wasn't Jessica either, so Jessica had understood what Isabelle had meant. That meant that they'd have to wear dresses everyday and that wasn't Jessica's thing. If only you got want you had wanted in life. She silently laughed at herself. It wasn't that easy. You'd need to be someone like Martin King Luther and be in the politics.

When Isabelle had mentioned the debate team, Jessica had agreed with her. Jessica wasn't good with debating herself because she can't project her voice but she does have some good points. "I understand. Everything is just magic, isn't it? If only there were art classes where you can draw or music classes! That'd make Hogwarts even better than it is now!" (Well, not really. You'd still get homework unless the Professor was nice enough not to) "But magic is great and I don't want to lose it. I mean, it just makes everyday life easier for you when you are older. I guess both Muggle and magical worlds both have a meaning" she said "Are you thinking of going back to the Muggle world when you leave Hogwarts? I think I'll stay with both. What about you?"

Isabelle widened her eyes, surprised by the question. She hadn't even begun to think about life after Hogwarts. "The problem is, I think we will have changed too much. The Muggle world would seem so primitive and slow, I just don't know if we'd feel restricted by not using magic. Granted, I've only learned two spells, but when we're older we're going to rely on magic so much." She bit the inside of her cheek, hating what she was saying but knowing it was true. She'd never be able to act normally back in her old life. Magic was intoxicating; once she had a taste she needed more. To stop completely for months at a time would be unbearable.

"I just don't want magic to define me. I don't want it to change who I am. In Defense Against the Dark Arts we learned about what certain types of magic could do to a person, to their soul." Isabelle shuddered inwardly, thinking about Tom Riddle's twisted, grotesque face. "In a way I sort of miss the simplicity of Muggle life."

Jessica agreed with Isabelle when she had stated that Magic could mean so much to us when we are older. Jessica would use it, but not all the time. She'd be living in the Muggle world and then coming back to the wizarding life just for a visit. "But magic can't stop you from doing what you want. I mean, you might want a job in the Muggle world but you don't always have to use magic" she said sympathetically. "When you are older you can make yourself lose memory of the wizarding world. I mean, you could forget that you are a wizard and just continue with Muggle life if you want"

Jessica felt a bit worried when Isabelle had looked uncomfortable with Defense Against The Dark Arts. Hopefully the Professor wouldn't be so scary because then Jessica would start having nightmares. It would probably be one of the Slytherin's favourite subjects. It would probably just force people to become death eaters. Taking the negative things away from her mind, she said "So, what do you like doing? Have you seen the giant squid? I haven't had time to go to the lakefront yet with homework and all..."

Isabelle shot a smile of gratitude at Jessica, glad for a change of subject. She didn't know why she got all pensive and serious about some things. It was rare, though. Isabelle was not one to show emotion. Jessica was just so warm and friendly, Isabelle felt safe sharing her thoughts with her.

"There is a giant squid?" She asked, her deep chocolate eyes alighting in excitement. "No way! We have to go see it together!" Isabelle grabbed Jessica's hand, squeezing it. "It would be so much fun, just think about it! I've seen the lake from far away but I never knew it held such a promise of adventure. Do you think there are mermaids?" Isabelle almost felt silly asking the question. It was so out of the ordinary from her old life.

"Yes! I definitely think that there are mermaids in the lakefront! You never know what there might be! There might be a shark for all I know!" Jessica exclaimed. Adventures were fun for her, especially when she was going on one with a friend. It was always fun to try something new for a change when you are in a new world which is not quite the ordinary.

Jessica paused for a moment. Maybe there was a book somewhere here in the library that could tell them all about the lake and all the magical creatures? Of course, they could wait for care of magical creatures in their third year but they are on the topic now and might as well try to look for one.

Looking through the bookshelves, Jessica had found a book entitled 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them'. She took it out and read through the pages. It had said that there was such a thing as 'Merpeople'. What on earth was that? Apparently, it was a really ugly mermaid that lives in the lake and loved to sing. Maybe if they could try to hear the Merpeople sing then it could lead them to the giant squid?

"Isabelle! Look!" Jessica said, shoving the book in front of her face out of excitement "Mermaids are called Merpeople in the wizarding world and they like to sing! Maybe we can find them that way whenever we get the chance?" Jessica stopped in her tracks. When will they ever get the chance with all the homework been thrown at them by the professor's? No, don't worry about that Jessica thought There'll be time and I'm sure of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back