The opposite of fairytales

Elyse Nimitz

Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curved 9 Inch Flexible Pear Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
The Nimitz sister was by far the opposite of each other. Since Elyse came to their lives, her life became miserable. Mainly because of Ilsa, the latter loath every inch of her and she bit understand why. Elyse would flip too if she finds out that her mum would have another family. The only thing that she doesn't understand though was how calm, loving and caring Mrs. Nimitz is. It's like she has some sort of agenda toward her but who could tell? My life isn't like Cinderella's she thought as she was walking down the streets of Obsidian Harbour. Her dad and Mrs.Nimitz explained every thing about them; how there are schools for their kinds and towns and shopping centers.

Holding her raggedy Ann doll and few money Mrs. Nimitz gave to her, they were allowed to wonder but instructed to meet at the pub where they weirdly traveled by fireplace. Mrs. Nimitz was kind enough to explain the different transportation, their kind, use. And for her, it was weirdly and she almost got sick. Nowhere else to go or rather don't know where to go, Elyse just wonder, looking at the windows of the different shops. Though, a particular shop caught her eyes. A pet shop with exotic and domesticated cats. Elyse smiled at an Owl with weird head movements. It was fascinating for her that people here can sell and keep them and it was also the first time she's seeing an Owl. Chicago is a big city and there aren't that many parks nor natural preserve parks.

"Now Edwin, I know its exciting to be somewhere like this for the first time," Amelia Fessenden looks down at her son with a smile, trying to maintain a firm tone despite her own amazement at this new world they'd been thrust into, "But you need to be careful. I don't want you to get hurt before you've even had a chance to learn any magic, okay?"

Edwin nods happily, only half paying attention as he looks around Obsidian Harbour, marveling at all the sheer magic going on, "Okay mom, I'll be careful." Suddenly his eyes catch onto a certain sign, "Ooooh, a pet shop! I wonder what kind of animals wizards have as pets?"

Amelia thought for a moment. Looking through the window, it seemed like it was mostly cats, which would be relatively harmless. And Edwin would probably be very bored in the line to convert "muggle" money to wizarding currency... "Why don't you go check it out while your father and I figure out our shopping budget? Maybe you'll find a new pet in there or-"

Before she could even finish Edwin was off, eagerly dashing for the storefront. As he hopped the step and reached the inside, he looked around in wonderment at all the interesting animals. Owls, cats with strangely-coloured coats, toads... it was unlike any other pet store he'd seen. He stopped near one owl in particular that was turning its head around, watching it with wide eyes.

After a few moments he realized there was someone else there, a girl who looked to be about his age. He waved at her, not really sure what to say and hoping she might have a better idea.

In her rather curious mood, Elyse walked up the steps of the shop and inside, the smell of strong odor slap her nose immediately. She didn't care though, it was part of it. The ten year old walked up to that Owl that she saw in the window, she stared at it while it does its head turning. Elyse giggled and stroked its feather, it was soft and the Owl crooked happy. Elyse kept smiling as she stroked its feathers more gently when another being joined her. He waved and she waved back with her other hand with her doll waving as well as she did so. She didn't mind meeting new people, as long as they're not like her sister. It was a good thing they didn't wondered together at the Harbour, Ilsa went separately. "H-hi ..." Elyse tried to greet the boy but her stuttering was strong. It was embarrassing how she can't talk properly. "I-it's b-beautiful, i-isn't i-it?" Talking was really exhausting her but her confidence without Ilsa near was high. Elyse heard her dad and Mrs. Nimitz that she's being enrolled in a speech school every summer but to think, it was a waste of money. She's fine to learn it from everyday interactions.

"Yeah, its really cool." Edwin smiled wider, trying to make a good first impression on her. For all he knew, this girl might be one of his classmates in the future, "Were you thinking of getting an owl as a pet? Ooh, or maybe a cat! That'd be pretty cool!"

A moment later, he realized he should probably properly introduce himself, "My name's Edwin. Its, um... Its nice to meet you. What's your name? Are you going to Hogwarts later? Do you have your wand yet?" The young man was talking a mile a minute, excited to have a new friend to talk about magical stuff with.

The boy agreed with her from the owl's beauty. Elyse appreciates people who appreciates animals. She nodded when the boy asked if she's getting an owl or a cat for that matter. "M-my d-dad ... s-said we n-need owls f-for s-sending letters." Elyse took a sigh of relief as she finished talking. She just hope the boy doesn't think of her as weird. Elyse giggled as the boy introduced himself rather too fast, he was nervous for sure. She remember her paper and pencil on her backpack and took it out, it helps her easily to talk to others than talking. She wrote 'Nice meeting you, too. My name's Elyse and yes, I'm going to Hogwarts with my sister and no, I still don't have a wand. Dad said we should be getting it last.' Elyse handed Edwin the paper for him to read. She didn't talk a lot, she didn't have friends even in the no-maj world, like what her sister would call normal people.

Edwin quickly read through the paper. He wasn't really sure why this girl was passing him notes all of a sudden, but at least it was something interesting. Hehe, maybe I can pretend we're in one of those spy movies or something and she's giving me hidden codes... he shook his head to rid himself of the fantasy and looked back up, "Nice to meetcha Elyse! I wonder if we'll be in the same house later. You have any idea where you want to go? I don't really know much about the houses yet, but from what little I was told they all sound super cool!" he held out his hand for her to shake, remembering how his father would greet clients those few times they came to their home.

Elyse noticed him shaking his head, it made her curious now as to what was on his mind. But she shrugged it off for now. Edwin was a fast talker that she barely get what was he saying, although when she heard the word houses, it clicked on her mind. Their dad explained that Hogwarts New Zealand was no different than Ilvermorny because his and Mrs. Nimitz's other relatives went to the Scotland branch. Of course, Ilsa was angry about the whole thing still and doesn't want to even set foot in Obsidian Harbour but their dad scared her wits about some Native American monster and that made Ilsa ran to their fireplace.

"W-what m-my d-dad t-told ..." Elyse can't handle talking like this, so, she grab the paper from Edwin and started to write again. My dad said that houses have different beliefs and trails. I'm sorry, I'm new in this world and I have no idea what else to learn about it. Elyse handed it back to him and sigh. She thought of her mum again, she wish her mum would come back and whisk her away from this nightmare like she always does. Elyse waited though and it never came true. Elyse looked back at the Owl and smiled. I think I'll buy her and name her Natasha. So that mum would always be here with me. She thought to herself.

Edwin smiled widely. This girl didn't know anything about houses either! Maybe she was another newcomer to all this like he was. "Oooh, neat! I'm new to all this too if that makes you feel any better. I bet we'll get used to it pretty quickly." He looked at the owl as well, "This is so exciting, all this magic stuff. I couldn't have imagined that while my brother was at some boring accounting school in Germany I'd be off learning how to make things fly and pull rabbits out of hats and junk." he shoved his hands in his pockets with a grin, looking back at this strange girl. A large part of him very much wanted to ask about her mostly writing stuff down, but something seemed to stop him.

The ten year old listen at Edwin, learning that he has a brother her smile vanished. Though, she doesn't know about his brother, her smile came back. Elyse cleared her throat and said, "So, y-you're a-a no-maj?" She thought no-maj can't know about the wizarding world? That's according to her dad and Mrs. Nimitz. Should she ran away from him and call the authorities? Ilsa told her that associating with no-maj has a dire consequences. Elyse's feet took her backwards, walking inches away from him. Her dad explained to her what she was, she was no no-maj. It was the law back home, he said. But how could a no-maj come inside Obsidian Harbour? This doesn't make sense to her. "Edwin, don't tell me you're a muggle." Elyse said without stuttering which made her furrow. Maybe when she's afraid her speech straightens out. Her parents are not keen to meeting no-maj.

Edwin laughed, not quite picking up on the change in the conversation, "Nah, I'm magical. Otherwise I couldn't have gotten into here, right?" he shrugged, "Besides, what the heck have you got against muggles? What did they ever do to you?" he reached in to pet the owl, pulling back with a yelp as it tried to bite off his finger, "And what the heck kind of word is muggle anyway? It honestly just sounds a bit silly, don't you think?"

A sigh of relief envelop her when Edwin answered her question. "Y-yeah, I g-guess so. How c-can y-you come h-here if y-you're not a-a w-wizard." Elyse giggled nervously, she felt stupid and embarrassed. Probably Ilsa's fault, the girl keeps saying things to her and she let her sister pack all that up in her brain. She shook her head, Elyse is not against muggles, she consider herself one even though she has a wizarding dad. "It's n-not me. I-i don't get it e-either. B-but it's a-a law in the states. No o-one speaks t-to muggles o-or you'll g-go to j-jail." Her stuttering was continuously annoying her, when could she be speaking straight permanently? Does the wizarding world have a cure for it? If so, she needs every bit of it. Elyse hug her doll tightly into her chest, she hope she didn't upset Edwin.

She was startled when the owl tried to bite him, "I t-think it has e-enough p-petting." She caution her new friend. Elyse looked around the shop, it was the first shop she went to and she wanted to explore more. "D-do you m-mind i-if we e-explore m-more of the o-obsidian?" Elyse asked Edwin. She's now comfortable with someone with her and it s also a good diversion from the muggle topic.

Edwin was surprised that that was a law in the states. He knew that nonmagical people weren't allowed to know about magic for some reason, but something like that made him wonder if it was a bigger deal than he thought. Did New Zealand have any laws like that? He might have to check that later. He shook himself out of that stupor relatively quickly, however. There were things to do right now first.

"Sounds good to me," he grinned and shoved his hands in his pockets, "Let's see how much we can see here before getting dragged back home."

Elyse's smile grew back as Edwin took her offer. Now she could enjoy the full experience of the Harbor. Exiting the pet shop, she wondered where to go. God knows what else is here. Elyse looked from left to right, she furrowed her brows, confused but another shop caught her eyes. An ice cream shop to be exact. "There's a-an ice cream s-shop. Would y-you like to go t-there?" The young girl was hopeful when she asked Edwin. She would like a heap of ice cream with nuts and whipped cream. Elyse began to think of her mum again. They both struggled in life and ice cream seems to be their comfort.

Edwin grinned widely, reaching into his pocket, "Oooh, that sounds really fun!" his grin faded however, as he rooted around, suddenly realizing that he didn't have any magical currency yet, "W-wait. How are we going to pay for it? I don't really have any money on me..." he shrugged apologetically, his cheeks turning slightly red. It was rather embarrassing to be in this kind of situation with someone you just met. A small part of him almost wished he'd stuck with his parents earlier instead of wandering off. Then at least he wouldn't be caught without any money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back