The Hogwarts Monthly - Y22 S1

Ferdinand Oakley

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains
The Hogwarts monthly: Year 22 - Semester 1

Let's All Cheer For A Fantastic New Year

Welcome back students to another fantastic year at Hogwarts! Adventures Galore for the returning students and for those of you who just got sorted, you can look forward to a wealth of time exploring! There are many secret places to be found and wondrous magic to behold. I would like to extend a special welcome to the new Hufflepuffs, who have last years House Cup to contend with. Let's see if they can keep it up and pull in the points for the end of this year too! Here's hoping you all had as wonderful a holiday as I did. The hallowed halls of Hogwarts have surely missed the steady rhythm of feet traipsing up and down from class room to class room and the sound of happy and excited students.

The holidays are over now, that means that we all have to hit those books that we forgot to read and pretend like we knew it all along. Not to worry though, it won't all be classrooms and homework, there will be plenty of field trips for the older students and plenty of opportunities to practice magic for those of our younger readers. Don't forget to sign up for a club! Sign ups have already gotten underway for some of our more popular establishments like Heta Omega and Quidditch (because yes, Quidditch is a club) so don't forget to put your name down for the tryouts! If none of these clubs appeal to you, why not start your own? I hear there are a couple of internal clubs that aren't official running around, perhaps one of those would be more to your liking? Don't worry, we have something for everyone here at Hogwarts!

Opportunities abound in a school of magic and that means we have some new school leaders to announce! Eight new prefects have been chosen from our rambunctious bunch and that means so have the two new head people. Let's start with the Gryffindor Prefects. Congratulations to Victoria Chase and Aaren Nightray, make sure you do your house proud! Next up are the two Slytherin Prefects, a warm congratulations to Rebecca Koshiba and Abel Smith, make sure you show everyone the exemplary leadership qualities your Head of House obviously saw in you! We also have two lovely new Hufflepuff Prefects; Rhiannon McGowan and Sofii Wolfe. Go get that House Cup guys! The newest editions to the Ravenclaw team are Willow Hydran and Riley Lawrence! Be the bird girls! Lastly we will announce our new school leaders. Tybalt Archer and Rosie Reilly! A better team I couldn't have picked if I'd done this all myself. Congratulations and good luck with leading the new school year into a great graduation!

We aren't finished yet though, in addition to our new school leaders, there have been a couple of changes to the Professors as well. Unfortunately toward the end of last year we had to say a small farewell to some beloved Professors, but that means we also get to say a big hello and welcome to the newcomers! So let's all welcome the new additions to the Staff, Professor Hayden Bane, who will be taking over from Professor Reyes in Advanced Astronomy. With the loss of Professor Blaze and Professor James Woodlock, we have two new Professors taking up the mantle, Professor Elizabeth Arlett, who will be teaching the lower years and Professor Jessica Parker, who will be teaching the upper years. The departure of Professor Sun left us with a vacancy in the Muggle Studies faculty which has now been filled by Professor Kalani Mauven. Lastly, Professor Black's departure allowed a new Professor to step up into the spotlight, welcome Professor Aeon Summers. Let's all give them a big congratulations and hope that they all do well in their respective roles.

Well, that's all I have to say in welcome. If you're already stressed out, never fear, Christmas is just around the corner, the holidays will soon be upon us once again! Have fun, stay out of trouble and don't forget to say hi to your Heads of House, they like to be acknowledged.

</B>
Author: Ellington Hayes​
<i>
</i>

Professor spotlight!

One of the newest Professors, Professor Summers was kind enough to spend his time chatting to me about himself.

Riven: Hi Professor! Could I bother you for a few moments? It's for a spotlight interview for Hogwarts Monthly.

Professor Summers: Sure, I have time. Fire away!

Riven: What is it like being back at school? Did you attend HNZ?

Professor Summers: I did! I was a Gryffindor Prefect back when I attended. It's kind of nostalgic really, there's so much that has stayed the same after, what, ten years I think it's been? It brings back a lot of memories. I didn't expect to ever come back after graduating, and it's an eye-opening experience being the teacher instead of the one being taught. Some of the other professors even taught me when I was here. You know, when I was a first year I pranked Kalif - er - Professor Styx by dropping a bucket of paint on him in his office. I was going to do it again at the start of this year, but unfortunately he locks his door now. Good times, though. Good times.

Riven: Wow, pranking Professor Styx, you must be very brave! Why did you decide to teach Transfiguration?

Professor Summers: Well, I was in Gryffindor after all! It's what I'm best at! Transfiguration is my strongest point and the branch of magic I find the most fascinating. Being able to change one thing into something else entirely, whether inanimate or living, it's just on a whole new level compared to most other forms of magic.

Riven: Are you an Animagus? What is your form if you don't mind my asking?

Professor Summers: I am! I take on the form of a husky. The years of studying was definitely worth it, being able to shapeshift into an animal let's you see the whole world differently, and there's so many perks about it that you don't initially realise. Sight, hearing, taste, everything changes. Like, when I transform, I become colour-blind, but at the same time all of my other senses are heightened. It's a very surreal experience.

Riven: That sounds so interesting! You are teaching the same subject as the Headmistress. Is it scary working with your boss?

Professor Summers: Oh, Professor Davershire? Not at all, she's lovely!

Riven: And finally, what would you be doing if you weren't a Professor?

Professor Summers: I own one of the shops on Obsidian Harbor, the Magical Menagerie, so I'd probably be back running that full-time. It's a great little place. Everyone should definitely go there and get a pet.

Riven: Thank-you for your time Professor Summers!</SIZE>
Student spotlight!

I managed to snag a couple minutes from the First Year Hufflepuff, Chaos Zhefarovich. Get to know him more in this... lovely interview.

Riven: Hi there, could I trouble you for an interview?

Chaos: Depends on how long this takes.

Riven: It won't be too long. You're a first year right? How are you enjoying Hogwarts so far?

Chaos: No, I'm a seventh year and this place is utter hell.

Riven: Right, I'm guessing you're a joker? You definitely are not seventh year, unless you've had some sort of growth stunt problem. Were you excited to come to Hogwarts?

Chaos: I'm what you people would call a 'smart-ass'. Not really. My stupid twin forced me to come here.

Riven: Where would you have preferred to go? Are you happy being in Hufflepuff?

Chaos: I wanted to go to Durmstrang because they don't allow the lower life forms there. I don't know what a Hufflepuff is so that question isn't valid.

Riven: But, you're a Hufflepuff... Don't you think you should have done some research on the school before coming? Why didn't you not listen to your twin and go to Durmstrang anyway?

Chaos: Why would I bother opening a book over something I don't care for? My parents thought it was best to keep the twins together. Go figure.

Riven: How do you think you're going to last seven years in a place you can't stand?

Chaos: I'm going to be miserable, but I'll be happy to inflict it upon others.

Riven: You sound like a joy to be around. Last question, are you related to the Potions Professor, Professor Zhefarovich?

Chaos: He's my cousin. Same with Professor Styx.

Riven: Well, thanks for that...'first rate' interview. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Author: Riven Faye​
<i>
</i>

Dear Aunt Meg...

Dear Aunt Meg,

I've been getting into a lot of trouble recently. I have this classmate, and she gets on my nerves! No matter what I do, she never fails to make me angry. I don't know if it's the way she talks, or the way she dresses. Something about her just bothers me! My usual tactics are to either ignore her, or get away from her. But no matter what I do, I can't stop feeling annoyed whenever she's in the room. I even began shouting at her yesterday! A professor had to step in! I'm certain I've reached my boiling point, and I don't know what to do.
Annoyed.

Dear Annoyed
I am sure most people have someone like this in their classes. (Heads up to other readers if there is never someone annoying then it is likely you). I think you are on the right sort of track, trying to stay away from her, and ignoring her. Yes it can be tough at times. If you really are feeling like it is driving you mad, then maybe you could tell a professor or some of your friends so they can keep an eye out, and can defuse the situation before you are tempted to start shouting at them. Otherwise try and practice some way to make them less annoying, like every time they do something annoying. Take a deep breath then count backwards from fifty. Or say the alphabet in fruit and veg (apple, banana, carrot, etc). Alternatively, you could try taking to her, maybe she will get less annoying the more you get to know someone. One of my best friends was like that.

I hope that helps,
Aunt meg.

Author: Rhiannon McGowan​
<i>
</i>

Top Ten ways to get along with your professors!

Your first year at school can be daunting, but it doesn't have to be terrifying. If you're adamant to make the best of your first year, or if you're not a first year and desire a better reputation with your professors, look no further! Here are the top ten ways to get on your professors' good side and hopefully ensure your time at Hogwarts New Zealand is amazing!

1. Hug them.
We all know of the little stunt pulled by the notorious Avie Mitchell last year and we also know how terrible it turned out. Styx never said it out loud but I'm sure he wanted to hex the little Slytherin. While Avie is a prime example of why we should steer clear of hugging our professors, that doesn't mean it's not a good option! There are other professors with less of a stone-like stature that could easily want a hug from one of their adoring students. All you need to learn is how to pick your victims targets wisely.

2. Keep your distance.
This is probably the only tactic that will get you in Styx's good book (Even though we're sure he doesn't have one). There are many professors that don't want to be around students every second of every day, and in order to get respect or at least keep them from detesting your existence is to avoid them outside of class. In Styx's case, keeping your distance means both you and the professor are better off!

3. Don't interrupt classes.
As passionate as you may be about the subject, it is never acceptable to interrupt your professor when they're speaking! While interrupting somebody it is considered rude in general, interrupting your professors in the middle of a lesson is even worse. Nobody likes the person who interrupts or calls out while others are speaking, especially not professors! When they're hired to teach an entire class they definitely do not want one bad interrupting apple ruining it for everybody else.

4. ... but do interrupt classes.
While interrupting other people is a terrible thing to do, speaking your mind and asking questions is the best thing you can do! You're in classes to learn, and if you politely decide to put your hand up and ask a question while the professor is speaking, they're sure to respect your manners and integrity. The key to this is to be polite and keep on the subject of the class. As long as you're not that person who disrupts a lesson for no reason you're welcome to interrupt!

5. Pay attention in classes.
If you aren't the hugging type, or simply don't want put in a lot of effort to befriend your professors, an easy way to get on their good side is to pay attention in class. This is more common sense than anything, but if you want your professors to like you, you need to listen to what they're saying and respect their authority in the process. No professor likes a student that has no care for learning or obeying their rules. They will respect you if you respect their teaching!

6. Finish your homework on time. ‏
Again, this is common sense. Another no-brainer to getting in your professors' good books, but it has to be told. Putting effort into your homework and extra credit assignments and finishing them on time will show how passionate you are to learn, and will also show your respect for their teaching. The concept is simple; students who ignore their homework get a bad rep, and students that hand in their homework on time are respected!

7. Give them a gift.
Another one of Avie's stunts cannot go unmentioned! This year another hug was impossible, though that didn't stop Avie approaching Styx with a gift. Of course the esteemed Slytherin head of house refused the gift in its entirety and ordered Avie to throw it into the fireplace. But once again, the prospect of giving gifts to other professors is definitely not out of the question. What Styx denied cannot be said for every professor in the school! If you have the time to construct a gift or the money to buy one for your favorite professor, go for it! The school could have Christmas all year round!

8. Show up early.
This is another subjective tactic, but showing up before class starts is a great way to show you're interested and eager to learn! The only catch to this one is that you will have less free time for breakfast in the morning and a shorter break between classes. However, if your professor likes their students to be early birds, showing up early is foolproof!

9. Study up.
This is another total no-brainer. But of course, studying outside of class will easily get your professor to think you're a good student. Whether it be reading forward in lessons, or studying what you learned that day, simply putting effort in to memorize the many things you learn in your subjects will show everybody your dedication to learning! There's no way a professor won't like such forward thinking!

10. Have common sense.
It's easier said than done, but it's also an obvious fact I cannot stress enough. You might be too lazy or shy to hug your professor or make a gift, but I can assure that every other tactic fails, showing common sense in being polite and treating the people around you with respect will without a doubt tell your professors that you're a good student worth respecting.

Author: Ferdinand Oakley​
<i>
</i>

Horoscopes for Everyone!

Aries: Things have been just so busy Aries, you feel yourself losing a handle on it all right? Well, maybe it's time to step back. Give yourself a little bit of time. Take a few days rest, don't worry about the school work. Take some you time, and you'll find yourself feeling a little better. Better able to handle things. It'll help you, and the less stressed you feel the better everything else will be. Give yourself a little you time Aries!

Taurus: Taurus now aren't you doing fantastically! Even if it's small victories they are still victories, better grades, better friends and a happier time are all on the horizon for you. Don't be surprised by it, let the good times roll, this will help you. It'll open greater opportunities and bring you good fortune. While good streaks don't last forever make the most of it now, Taurus and remember this good fortune when you speak to other people, be kind!

Gemini: Taking life easily right now, Gemini. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Nothing wrong with it. You should take the time, relax and not overly stress. It'll all be fine, and you can feel it. Be careful however during this time to not push away friends, or be solitary. Involve others, be open with people and don't take so much of an easy time that you forget to do other things, or you forget about those around you. Your friends are your friends for a reason Gemini.

Cancer: Cancer, well, you'll just be glad that this period of struggle is coming to an end. Like the end of term before the beginning of a bright and fun holiday. Your friends have been as supportive as they can, and you should take the time to repay them. Even try and expand, make new friends and join a new club. Better opportunities and even possibly love might find it's way into your life Cancer as you let yourself grow.

Leo: If ever there was a star sign that would mean strength it would be you Leo. You've held it together as things have continuously fallen apart and you should be proud. You need to stop pushing people away, let your family in. Let yourself have a little bit of fun. Leo, take some time to enjoy all the offers that life has. Try to just take a little bit of time to enjoy the company of family and friends and this strength will become clearer. It will get better. Leo, this will improve if you spend some time with those around you.

Virgo: Virgo, school work has been eating up all of your time hasn't it. Poor time management skills are really coming back to bite you! No fear however Virgo, you know that things will get easier. Just spend a few nights working through it all, take small naps and soon you'll be fine! All the school work will pay off, you'll improve those grades and in the process new opportunities will open up and you should grab as many of these as possible! Good things lie in new opportunities.

Libra: Libra you've been partying hard, I'm glad of it. You are having fun with those around you, perhaps however it's time to expand out. Time to try some new things, meet new people and let yourself expand. While you like being in your comfort zone, it's time to branch out. Time to try new things and meet new people. Even focus a little on your school work, then all of those combined will let you grow and from that even greater things will happen. Just you wait and see Libra.

Scorpio: Love interests have been throwing themselves at you Scorpio, or well, they've added a new layer of confusion to your life. Scorpio perhaps this a sign to watch what you're doing, and try to figure out who your real friends are and who are just the ones that just want something from you. In doing this, let yourself find some new friends, they'll appear in the most unlikely of places and you'll love it.

Sagittarius: This has been neither a particularly good or bad time for you Sagittarius. Those around you seem to be going through particular things and you appear to have nothing. This is not a bad thing. This calm is a good thing. Take the time to just enjoy your family, allow yourself to get closer to them. Spend the time working on school stuff, and this will open doors that you thought were exclusive to those around you. It'll all work out, and you'll be happy. Believe that good things will happen, Sagittarius and this calm will end in the best way it can.

Capricorn: You're such a busy bee capricorn. Thinking you can solve all the worlds problems from your dorm room. Admirable yes, but a little bit crazy. You can't solve all the problems no. Let others in, let them take over various things. Be wary of family pressures and allow them to take a back seat as you move forward. Don't feel like you've failed because you need the help of others Capricorn, they will help and you'll become better because of it.

Aquarius: You've been in a rut, Aquarius. You feel like your going crazy because you can't solve it. Because you can't seem to step away from it, you can't seem to break it. Your family life has been no good, and you feel lost. It'll be alright, let yourself breathe. Let yourself step away from things. Continue to push yourself in ways you've not tried before. Leave your family behind, and let your friends in. They'll be able to help a lot more. Aquarius, the rut will end if you allow it the time to fix itself.

Pisces: Pisces you've been feeling under the weather right? Well, don't worry, when this ends you'll be able to be right back on form. Just jump back in it. Don't let a little cold hold you back on all the things you've been working on. All the work you've been doing will pay off soon. You'll get what you wanted and likely a lot more. Don't give up when you are just so close now. Everything will work out, and you'll be glad that it will have Pisces!

Author: Sage Ottavi​
<i>
</i>

Cookery Corner!

Hello everyone and welcome back to another Cookery Corner. In this edition I'm going to be a little selfish and share one of my favourites for one of the Wizarding Worlds favourite past-times: Quidditch. Since the invention of the modern day broomstick there has been many different types of broom sports with records as far back as the tenth century with the celebrated annual broom race of Sweden which still occurs to this day, to games such as Stichstock, which involved trying to pierce an inflated dragon bladder. Although I shall not bore you with a history of Quidditch, if you want to know more I recommend you go take out Quidditch Through The Age from the library or buy your own copy, if you haven't already done so, it's a bloody good read.

Now back on to the main reason for this article, food. Quidditch games can cause for a lot of snacks for both players and spectators alike but what about that good big hearty meal that you need after a particularly cold game or that you need beforehand to build up some strength. Well I'm sure at one point in your life your mother has made this favourite and maybe not even when Quidditch was involved but just as good winter warmer. Today I'll be teaching you how to make your own Quidditch Player Pie's just as the Quidditch teams are being announced and in time for the Quidditch season to begin.
Quidditch Player's Pie
quidditchpie_zps45f51045.png
<SIZE size="75">

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2lb lean ground beef
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup of diced carrot
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1 garlic clove (smashed and finely diced)
1 and 3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
Mashed potatoes (to cover)
Shredded cheddar cheese (to cover)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Brown the beef in a large skillet.
3. When cooked, remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
4. Using the same skillet, add the water and onion soup mix, garlic, carrot, peas, covering to cook for 5 minutes.
5. Whisk flour into milk in small bowl, then add to skillet.
6. Cook this mixture until a nice gravy forms.
7. Add cooked beef and veggies, stirring to combine thoroughly.
8. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and put beef mixture on the bottom.
9. Spread the potatoes into a layer on top of the beef mixture.
10. Bake in oven on 350F/180C for about 20 minutes.
11. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
12. Place back in oven until cheese melts.
13. Enjoy!

<B>Author: Iason Samartzi​
<i>
</i>

<i></i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back