Ferdinand Oakley

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains

hogwartsmonthlystamp.png

Year 21 - Semester 1

Another Year of Magic Ahead!

Hello fellow students and staff alike and welcome back to Hogwarts New Zealand for what is sure to be another year of new adventures and some learning in there for good measure. Also, welcome to our new first years and new staff who will be experiencing the delights of Hogwarts New Zealand for the first time this year - we all hope you enjoy it as much as us old hands do.

Assuming you all had an enjoyable holiday, whatever you did, it's now time to hit the books once again and get back into the swing of things. Not to worry though, it's not all going to be lessons and homework, already our clubs have got their new sign up sheets, ready for you to go explore what they have to offer and make some new friends in the process. If none of the clubs tickle your fancy then why no sign up for your House Quidditch team and bring glory along with the rest of the team and bring home the Quidditch Cup.

If you have yet to find something that suits your personality, never worry, this is a new year and a fresh start for many people, put whatever happened in the past behind you and reinvent yourself this year and open yourself to all the opportunities that the school has to offer be it academic-wise or whatever helps you unwind.

Speaking of opportunities our new Prefects and HeadBoy and Girl have been chosen - one of the highest opportunities that the school has to offer. Congratulations to our new HeadBoy, Raziel Kim (from Ravenclaw) and HeadGirl, Ai Edogawa (from Hufflepuff), we wish you the best of luck for this year and for the future after Graduation. Another congratulations is also in order for our new Prefects. For Slytherin we have, Sergei Zhefarovich and Sage Ottavi; for Ravenclaw, Emalia Aria and Ferdinand Oakley, Gryffindor, Caroline Beckett & Arianna Nightray and Hufflepuff, Hanna Mitchelle Freecss & Valentina Baros.

Furthermore, a good luck and welcome is spread to our new Professors, we have had to say a fond farewell to some of our great Professors but we look forward to learning from you all. So welcome to Professor Justin Joussane, who is taking over Charms years 1-4; Professor Owen Youngs, who is taking over Flying for the first years; Professor Theodore Snow, who is taking over Potions years 5-7 and finally Professor Ryan Sun, who is taking over Muggle Studies years 3-4. A final congratulations is extended to current Professors Takuya Blaze and Elvera Le Fey who have been promoted to Deputy Headpeople. To everyone who has been promoted, hired and in general instilled with new responsibilities that you all succeed in your new role and appreciate it for what it is.

That's all from me for now, everybody enjoy your year and if you are already stressed out remember, the Halloween Feast is just around the corner and before you know it, it will be the holidays again. Bye for now guys!

</B>
Author: Iason Samartzi​
<i>
</i>

Top Ten study tips!

Go to class.
This is self-explanatory. If you don't go to class, you don't have a way to study! For some people, going to class is the only form of study they need to do well in exams, but for others, going to class is merely a starting point. In short, attending your classes is the easiest way to begin studying!

Take extensive notes, read them over.
Now, while you're in class it would do you well to take down as many notes as you can. That doesn't necessarily mean writing down the exact words your professor says, though it is very important to at least write down the main points of the lesson. If you don't know what you're supposed to study, you can't study.

Read in the library.
In every way, the library is the perfect place to study. It's quiet, and therefore has little distraction and very obviously, it's full of books! It's probably the easiest place to buckle down and learn a few extra things if you're willing to put in a few extra hours of learning.

Learn things first hand.
For some people, reading can only take you so far. And for those people, there are many options to learn and experience things yourself. This could work particularly well for students that want to do well in Herbology, flying or even transfiguration. Anything that has the potential to get you outside will help you study!

Learn things from your friends.
For some students it is difficult to listen to the professors drag their lessons on, and that's perfectly okay. Depending on what kind of friends you have, the option to copy down their notes or have them be your study partner is there! Studying with a friend is a great way to study, that isn't so tedious.

Annoy your professors about notes.
Most professors tend to give you a great amount of information in classes. They give you everything you need to know, when you need to know it! If you don't mind pestering them, however, you could always bother them outside of class and convince them to teach you more. Granted, it's not a good way to get on their good side, but you may learn something unique!

Annoy older students about tutoring.
Older students were once in your same predicament, so why not approach them for help? As long as they have time to teach somebody younger I don't see a reason they would refuse. It's a great way to help study and catch up on your classes from somebody who understands exactly what you're going through!

Procrastinate.
Procrastination isn't always the best idea, but in some cases it works. If you have a photographic memory it might make sense for you to procrastinate studying and cram all the notes from the semetester at the last minute. It doesn't work for a lot of students, but it might work for you!

Wing everything.
For the lazy students that don't care much about grades, you could always wing your education. For a lot of people, making things up on the spot comes easy so if you're able to wing your way in most social situations, it wouldn't be a stretch to wing your school career. This isn't the best way to study, but it is an option.

Just study.
Simply making the effort to study is enough in itself. If you're able to put in a little extra time to learn and memorize things outside of class, you're able to manage the workload the professors give you. All it takes is effort, and you'll be able to settle in to a school routine with ease!

Author: Ferdinand Oakley​
<i>
</i>

Professor spotlight!

Hello everyone and welcome back to our spotlight section where we catch up with someone here and the school and get an insight to their life here at the school. This edition I've caught up with one of our newest Professors - Professor Theodore Snow.</SIZE>
Hello Professor Snow, thanks for taking sometime out of your busy schedule for doing this for Hogwarts Monthly.

So after doing my research I found out who used to attend the school and not only that but you were Head Boy. What's it like being back after graduating in 2027?

Weird, really weird. The school really hasn't changed much so it feels like I'm almost coming back as a student or something. Not to mention a lot of the Professor's who taught me as a kid still work here so I feel sort of awkward working beside them now.

Are you happy to be back?
Um....yeah let's go with that.

Has it changed much since you were a student?
Not really. Like I said earlier, it feels like I'm just coming back for another year of Hogwarts. Kids are still doing the same stupid things I did as a kid.

What stupid things would that be?
Irritating Professor Styx would definitely be at the top of that list.

So I'm sure being his colleague now you wouldn't be doing such a thing?
Haha, I won't make any promises.

Apart from annoying Professor Styx, what other extra curricular activities did you do while at the school?
I did a lot of Quidditch. I used to play beater and at one point I was even Captain. I was also part of the Brotherhood and SDA but I didn't do a whole lot in those clubs. I was also prefect and Head Boy, so um....despite the fact that I'm incredibly lazy, I did manage to accomplish quite a bit when I was in school.

What have you been doing since you graduated?
I got married, and now I have three kids.

So what made you apply for the job now?
Am I allowed to say I was tired of being yelled at by my wife all the time? Joking. I'm not sure, I saw an ad in the paper for it and I just felt like something wanted me to return to Hogwarts.

What do you think you'll enjoy most and least about the job?
I know what I'll definitely enjoy the least, cleaning up messes that the students make. As for enjoying the most? Probably seeing how students react to how cool some of the potions can be.

Finally: What advice would you give current students, especially those ones that are graduating this year?
The real world is a lot different, and people are going to be as merciful as the Professors here are; so be careful.
Well, thank you once again Professor Snow for that interesting insight to your life, welcome to the school and we look forward to learning from you in the coming semesters.

Author: Iason Samartzi​
<i>
</i>

Student spotlight!

Riven: Hi there Ai! Do you have a moment to answer a few questions for me?
Ai: Oh hey. Yeah, sure. I don't mind. Will this take long though? I still have a couple of things to do.

Riven: No it won't take too long. Thanks! Of course you are busy now, being Head Girl. Why do you think you were chosen to be the Head Girl?
Ai: Hmm.. I'm not really sure myself why I was chosen since I am really not the best person here in Hogwarts New Zealand. *chuckles* But, I guess it's because I take my responsibilities seriously even if I would have to put some sacrifices here and there.

Riven: What have you sacrificed so far? Are you happy being Head Girl?
Ai: The most I have sacrificed is time. Time isn't something that can be brought back easily and being Head Girl is one of the things that take up a lot of it. Being Head Girl is something I am neutral about, I'm proud to have been chosen and I'm happy. But there are just times when I wish that I wasn't chosen because I am someone who messes things up a lot and I don't really view myself as that much of a leader.

Riven: Do you think you messed up at the Prefect's meeting?
Ai: Oh yes. *sighs* I messed that up big time.

Riven: Did you get into trouble from your HoH or the Headmistress?
Ai: No, not really. The Headmistress was actually... Supportive? Something like that... She gave me and Raziel the authority and since we haven't really abused it in any way, we didn't get into trouble.

Riven: That's good. I heard the Prefects got into trouble. In fact, Slytherin even went into negatives! Did that make you feel better?
Ai: No! I know that houses have been competitive with each other and Slytherin had gotten the house cup many times in my stay here, but I wouldn't have taken away points from them nor feel happy about it just for that kind of petty reason.

Riven: So, do you think Raziel shouldn't have taken any points?
Ai: Yes. That meeting would have probably gone a little better if no points were taken so suddenly, especially with that kind of method. But Raziel has as much authority as I do so I won't be stopping him from doing anything that is well within his capabilities.

Riven: Well, it's an interesting story to say the lest! Okay, just a couple more questions! What are you going to do after graduation?
Ai: I plan to be a magizoologist. I've been studying CoMC for a while and I enjoyed it altogether so I would love to put that to good use.

Riven: Are you looking forward to graduating?
Ai: Not really. Hogwarts has almost been my only home for seven years and I'm not really sure on where I'm heading after graduating.

Riven: Well, I wish you the best of luck. One more question before you go, what advice would you give to anyone wanting to be a Head Person?
Ai: Hmm. Just continue to do your best in every job you have and always take your responsibilities seriously and stay out of trouble too. *chuckles*

Thank-you for the interview Ai, we wish you the best with your future, as well as all the other seventh years graduating!

Author: Riven Faye​
<i>
</i>

<SIZE size="100">Dear Aunt Meg...

"Dear Aunt Meg,

What is this place? I don't even know why I am writing to you, as you must also be in on the joke. Seriously you she well organised joke. I can't see the wires making the feathers float in charms. And any hidden cameras and lights are well concealed in their place but seriously why organise such a prank? Are me and the other first years the unwilling stars of some New reality TV show?
Regards,
Utterly Confused."

Dear Utterly Confused.
I know the feeling. You are probably hoping that I will write and say "well done you figured us out you get to go home" but I can't because, well, it is not it is real.
My first few weeks here were also spent looking for hidden cameras, strings and projectors. There are no pranks gimmicks or anything (other than those set up by some of the fourth year gryffindors, but that is a different story). You will grow used to it and eventually you wonder how life was anything else. I know it takes time especially when some people seem like they have grown up with the idea (which they have) you feel like you are the only one who is totally clueless, but remember you are not alone.
Good luck with getting your head around things.
Aunt meg.

Author: Rhiannon McGowan​
<i>
</i>

Horoscopes for Everyone!

Aries: Aries, school work has been getting easier. You have more friends now than before. And all because you've opened up to people more. What a fantastic outcome! Continue on this path and more good things will come to you, Aries. Remember however to not let all of these new friends distract you from your studies. Education is just as important.

Taurus: Not quite been feeling yourself, have you Taurus? It's been a difficult few months and you admit that your perhaps feeling a little lost about it. Don't worry this storm will clear up soon, and everything will be clear again. Just keep working hard in classes, and in those relationships with those good friends that you have. Rely on them in difficult times and it will be hugely rewarding.

Gemini: Working hard right now, aren't you Gemini! I'm very impressed with all that you've managed recently. As are your professors and your friends. Keep up all the good work. It will become more and more rewarding as time goes on. You will create new relationships and open plenty of opportunities for yourself. Do however remember to take some time away and spend time with family and friends!

Cancer: Loyalty has been a strong suit of yours for a while now Cancer. This loyalty has helped you gain many dear friends, but some of these friends may not be as loyal to you as you think. At lot has been going wrong recently, am I right? So, perhaps it's time that you maybe take some time to look at all your friends and decided if maybe you need to cut a couple out. Remember that you come first Cancer.

Leo: Leo, you've not been doing too well right now. Fighting with family and friends, and half the time you forget why in the first place. Don't worry things will settle out. There are some people you need to sit down with and talk to about things. Your family are there to help you, don't shut them out because of a few choice words. That being said, do apologise and refocus some of this anger on your studies. It'll pay off.

Virgo: Opportunities for you Virgo have been springing up like wildfire. Have you noticed that you are definitely a lot luckier now than before. It's all the balance that you've achieved in your life that has helped you reach things you want. Continue to work hard in your classes and try to spread yourself out a little more in joining a few more clubs. You can been sure that more opportunities for yourself will become clear! Keep working hard Virgo!

Libra: Libra it has been a tricky little time for you. All these stumbles and falls as you attempt to better yourself. But do not be disheartened Libra. In your case keep pushing through. Good things come to those who don't give up. Your determination is something to be envied as is your strength. Keeping going and you will make new friends and have plenty new experiences. Things will get easier Libra.

Scorpio: Scorpio that love life of yours appears to have really spun off into a life of it's own. I'm telling you now, that perhaps it is time that you settled on one person. If you continue along this road the only person who is going to get hurt is you. Go to more school clubs, focus more in classes and along with that you'll see whose right for you, and possibly gain some friends along the way.

Sagittarius: Reaching for bigger and better things has been a long process Sagittarius but I can assure you that the end is in sight. You will be better off soon that you were before. Do not worry about losing too many friends along the way, those that leave where not good friends in the first place. Keep working hard, and a great opportunity or two will appear, and new better friendships will form.

Capricorn: A lot of new people have entered your life Capricorn, and this is excellent for you. Do not hold back now. It is your time to shine and to create new and better friendships than ever before. Work hard in your classes and take every opportunity that you can. But remember Capricorn, to not leave those old friendships behind, they are as valuable.

Aquarius: Something has been holding you back recently, hasn't it Aquarius. You haven't been working as hard or trying to keep in contact with your friends or family. This isn't good. To get out of this melancholy you should try something new. Dare yourself to a new challenge. Soon all that motivation will come rushing back, and everything will be fine once more!

Pisces: What an amazing time for you Pisces? You have been on a record high, but to keep this going you've really got to be careful. Don't fight with people too much, or let it all get to your head. Remember to be kind to those around you. Don't forget your old friends, or stop making new ones. Continue to challenge yourself and things will continue to get better.

Author: Sage Ottavi​
<i>
</i>

Cookery Corner: How to Fill Your Lunchbox!

hmlunch_zpsb68861cf.png

Welcome back to the 'Cookery Corner' guys. Now today I'm not going to be giving you out any recipes, instead I'm going to be talking about a balanced diet while at school. Here at Hogwarts New Zealand we are definitely spoiled in the sense that we have house elves who, day after day, prepare glorious meals for us to eat and not have to worry about cooking ourselves. For all you first years this may be your first time away from home and not having mum or dad's cooking - a hard adjustment we have all had to face. Now it may just be easy for us to skip breakfast and have something quick and possibly unhealthy for lunch and fill up with a big dinner. Now I'm not here to judge and dictate what you should and shouldn't eat. I mean I have just a big sweet tooth as the next person and it may be all too tempting without mum and dad breathing down our necks to eat whatever we fancy, but why let what the house elves have prepared for us go to waste?

So as sample outline, here are some of my best picks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a few snacks in between.

Breakfast:
Of course we all love lying in in the mornings but it's always great to try a grab something to get you going for the day. Even if that might be a slice of toast, fruit, a muffin or porridge, it's important to have something to allow our brains to function - believe it or not mum and dad didn't lie about that.

Lunch:
Much like breakfast a lot of people might not have a lot of time for breakfast depending on your schedule but again, something on the go will get your through until lunch time. Now a sandwich or wrap with a least one type of meat and some form of salad, is not only portable but also very tasty. Also a mid day treat why not have a cookie or maybe some more fruit and a yoghurt, some sweet with just enough sugar to give you that little rush to get you through the rest of your classes.

Dinner:
Possibly everybody's favourite meal of the day, right? Now we have any number of options when it comes to dinner here at Hogwarts New Zealand, so really it's personal preference. Personally I enjoy some pasta, a good source of carbohydrates which will give you that last kick of energy to get you through your homework that night - maybe try a nice bolognese or lasagne. If pasta isn't your thing your have any number of different choices and you can always take to the kitchens yourself if nothing tickles your fancy. Most importantly, don't forget to treat yourself to a bit of dessert after if you still have some room - a little indulgence never hurt anyone.

Something to snack on:
If you're like me you may find yourself off somewhere between classes, be it the library, outside, your dorm or common rooms, and it's not quite lunch or dinner yet and your hungry. Now it's always good to have a few snacks about for when the pang of hunger kicks in and you need something to keep you going. Now this doesn't always necessarily have to be food, if you have the time a nice fruit juice or smoothie is more than enough to tide you over. Of course you could maybe take a few extra muffins or pieces of fruit from the breakfast table and have some to nibble on why sifting through your textbooks. There is no limit to what you could have a mid day snack - just don't fill yourself on snacks and then miss out on an important meal.

So that's all from me today folks. Now as I said this is really just a sample of what you could have, not something to stick too rigidly. Remember, we're all going to have those lazy days where eating is a hassle more than it should be and that's OK, moderation never hurt anyone.

<B>Author: Iason Samartzi​
<i>
</i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back