OOC First Name
Mintzy
Wand
Holly Wand 11 Essence of Phoenix Feather
</SIZE></SIZE></SIZE>

hogwartsmonthlystamp.png

Year 20 - Semester 1 - Issue one

Magic Abound: Another Glorious Year At Hogwarts

The start of a fresh year and a fresh start for so many, this year for the students of Hogwarts school looks to be one of fun, laughter, and magical mayhem. With the many clubs and opportunities now open and available for pupils to participate in, what will really draw in the crowds and what will be this year's big flop?

Already there had been much chatter about the Halloween festivities at the end of October, but should we really be focussing on such fun and games when the year has only just begun? The answer is simple; Of course we should! That's what Hogwarts is all about, and if ever there was a night on which to celebrate, in some cases, centuries of wizarding heritage, or the wonders of being the first generation to step foot in the grounds of Hogwarts, Halloween is the night to do so.

Perhaps, this year, we could all take the time to reflect back on our own personal histories, our timelines and what stories they can tell us. Who knows what wondrous acts may have been performed in the name of our ancestors? How many of those who walked the corridors of Hogwarts before us grew up to achieve so much?

This year, thus far, we have already been granted the opportunity to play witness to those who may some day stand up as great political rulers. Maybe our new Head Boy, Benjamin Chase, will become a world champion gobstones player. Perhaps Head Girl, Isabella Pisces, will stand proud as the Head of the Wizengamot. Who can truly say where our life paths may lead? Now may be the right time to look into the future, (and I don't necessarily mean with a crystal ball), now may be the time to make our life decisions, to stop and to think 'Who and what do I want to be?'.

</B>
Author: Lorin Finch​
<i>
</i>

End of an era

Welcome back to another year at Hoggy, Warty Hogwarts everyone! We're just getting into the grove of things now, and adjusting to life without our families, and even worse; without our handy muggle gadgets! Well, getting into the spirit of a new , fresh start, I'd like to wish all our new students the best as their Hogwarts careers begin. We have sixty new firsties joining us this year. The poor things don't know what they're in for. These bright young sparks are the future of Hogwarts New Zealand, so let's all try not to make their lives complete hell until they're in at least third year. Though, most of our time will probably be taken up wreaking havoc for our new prefects! Congratulations to all those who were awarded the horrendous, yet honourable task of trying to lay down the law. In Gryffindor, we have Tybalt Archer, and Nikandros Matthias. For Ravenclaw, there's Bryce Chamberlin and Rosie Reilly. The Hufflepuffs are putting their trust in Kelsey Ariyah Boneheart and Damon Kyle, while the Slytherins have appointed Alaska Zhefarovich and Preston Paine. We all solemnly promise that we won't break any rules; where your can see.

As usual, we have a new Head Boy and Girl, both of whom have done the school proud over the years. This year, those two students are Benjamin Chase and Isabella Pisces. Both new Head People are from Slytherin House; and both are well known throughout the school. Isabella is the fearless Captain and Seeker for the Snakes' quidditch team, who were victorious in last year's quidditch cup. Benjamin is a bit of a wildcard that nobody saw coming, but when you think about it; he's the full package; super-smart and involved in school activities; he's president of the Student Defence Association.Bet you all feel safer now, huh? Good luck to both of you! Though, something tells me you two won't need it.

So, it's time to put our noses to the grindstone and get some serious work done, so let's get to it! Remember, it's only two months and eighteen days until our Christmas holidays, but hey; who's counting? We've got plenty of things to occupy our minds until then, such as breaking Slytherin's winning streak! How are they already ahead on points? We're going to have to rectify that. Good luck guys, I think this could be our year!

</B>
Author: Liam Kale​
<i>
</i>

Top Ten Hideouts in HNZ

The Abandonned Classroom
The abandoned classroom speaks for itself, it's abandoned and therefore makes a great hideout. The only catch is that many other students have the same idea when searching for a place to hide. If you don't mind meeting possible friends (and enemies) this is the hideout for you!

The Rosebush
Rather than the abandoned classroom, the rosebush isn't near as popular. Only difference is that it's outside and it's not as easy to find a suitable hiding spot, unless you don't mind getting pricked by thorns. Ouch!

The Dungeons
Now in the dungeons you can hide anywhere, it's dark, damp and creepy. It's perfect for everyone who doesn't fear the dark, and dark students alike. As long as you steer clear of the potions classroom and slytherin common room, you shouldn't have any trouble staying out of sight.

The Lavatory
The perfect hideout for a moaning myrtle wannabe. You can make any old excuse to go there and hide in one of the cubicles all day. You can primp up while you're there too, if that's your kind of thing. It's a great place for the sociable student since there's always people around, but anyone who wants alone time should find someplace else.

The cliffs
If you want to be alone and stay that way, the cliffs are a perfect hideout for you! Unless you're one of those 'fainters' a fear of heights shouldn't matter, just don't be adventurous and stray too close to the edge because nobody wants to clean up that kind of mess. Yeesh!

The kitchens
If you're a peckish student who wants to be alone, the kitchens are perfect if you don't mind running into the occasional house elf. You'll be surprised by the lack of other students, but hopefully you'll expect to gain a few pounds the more you hide in there.

The lakefront
Perfect for the outdoorsy student that likes quiet time and meeting mermaids. After dark it gets pretty creepy, but during the day it's anything but. If you want to hide against a tree with a book or skip a few stones from boredom, the lakefront is the place for you!

The Forbidden Forest
The Forbidden forest is the first place most students think of when they hear the word 'hideout'. It's a forest, it's forbidden, so it's naturally a go to hideout when students don't want to be found. Only problem is most professors know this, so you're just as likely to meet an unfriendly professor as you are to meet an unfriendly centaur. Watch your backs!

The Library
You'd hardly think a place as overrun with students as the library would be a hideout, right? Well if you know where to hide, it's the perfect cover. Try the restricted section or a small place behind a bookshelf and you're good to go. It's great if you want a few extra hours of study too!

The Room of Requirement
Probably the best hideout there is, it's subtle, difficult to find and heck, we don't even know if it actually exists. If you ever find it it'll be equipped with everything you need too. In theory it sounds perfect, let's just hope you find it before anyone finds you!

Author: Ferdinand Oakley​
<i>
</i>

Professor and Student's Spotlight!

For my very first interview, I was able to catch up with our very own Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor and Slytherin Head of House, ~Professor Kalif Styx. Obviously, he's a very busy man, so I was lucky he made the time for me.

1. So Professor, I know you taught my sister when she was here. Just how long have you been teaching here?
14 years.

2. Wow, that's a long time. Also, if I remember correctly, you taught my sister Herbology and now you are teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts, so you must be very knowledgeable. If you had the opportunity, what else would you like to teach?
Potions if needed.

3. Very interesting. Being so knowledgeable you must of had a lot of career options when leaving school. If you weren't teaching here what would you be doing?
No comment.

4. Um...alright then. Well, what got you into teaching then?
I didn't want to be around my wife 24/7 any more.

5. Okay...Oh yes, you have family members in the school, don't you? Do you find it distracting or difficult to have family members who are students in the school, as well as your own house, what with rumors of favoritism always possible?
I am harder on them, and they were actually taught to respect their professors.

Well, that was very insightful from one of our veteran Professors, thank you Professor Styx.
Finally, I was able to catch up with a fellow second year, Serenity Dion from Ravenclaw, to see how she had enjoyed her time here so far.

1. Thanks for agreeing to this Serenity. Being a fellow second year I know everything was all so exciting for us when we first stepped foot in the school, for you, on a scale of 1 to 10, how excited were you to be starting Hogwarts just over a year ago?
Oh, it's my pleasure, I really need to get used to doing interviews if I want to be famous someday, well if I'm lucky. Oh right, your question. Seriously, a 10 isn't high enough to describe how excited I was to start Hogwarts. And it's so crazy to think how quickly last year has gone by, am I right? I'm definitely expecting the same from this year too.

2. Yeah, you are right, last year really did just fly right by us. So with the end of last year, how much would you say you sustained that excitement as your first year progressed?
I'll say I was definitely stressing last year, with all the work and exams, but it's much better now, and I am ready to face the new year!

3. Good to hear! So what did you enjoy most about your first year?
Meeting all these new people and making new friends, I love the friends I've met already and can't wait to meet more this year.

4. And on the flip side to that, what would you say you enjoyed least?
Those staircases! Am I right?! Those are scary, even now I still get lost sometimes when they decide to move about on me.

5. Um, yeah, real scary. So I already asked a Prefect but I think it would be good to see how it differs, but what advice would you give the new batch of first years that have just arrived?
Just have fun and enjoy your time here, I can already tell how quickly time is going to pass. And learn how to get around on those staircases and don't be afraid to ask people if you get lost, just probably not me, I wouldn't be very much help.

So thank you Serenity for that...exciting interview, and good luck with the next six years.

And that's it for this instalment of the Professor and Student spotlights, let us know who you want interviewed and what questions you want answered, until next time.

Author: Kialla Smith​
<i>
</i>

Dear Aunt Meg...

"Dear Aunt Meg,

I like this girl in my charms class, she is pretty, smart and funny but I don't know if she even knows my name as I am the opposite, plain, and only just about passing class. What can I do to make her like me?
From,
Shy guy"

Dear Shy guy,
It is normal to be a little nervous talking to the person you like. Maybe try and sit near her one week and then after class ask if she wants to hang out with you. Maybe ask her for some help with whatever spell you are meant to be learning. And while she is helping let her know how sweet you are.
From,
Aunt meg.

"Dear Aunt Meg,

A couple of moths ago I get a new baby brother and since then I am feeling both home sick as I cant see her and annoyed as my parents are replacing me with something better. What can I do?
From,
Jealous big sister"

Hello big sister,
it is certainly understandable to feel like you are being left behind as second best after your new sibling or that it seems that your family is moving on without you. But trust me this is usual when there are new siblings, especially when you aren't there. To be involved, I would recommend that you write to your family let them know how you feel and maybe ask for a couple of photos so you can get to know him before you meet him.
Best of luck,
Aunt meg

"Dear Aunt Meg,

I transferred into this school this year for my OWLs and although I was quite popular at Beauxbatons it am finding it really hard to find decent mates here as I feel like everyone already has their own group of friends and there isn't much space for one more.
Please help,
Lonely boy"

Dear lonely boy,
It really does suck not having friends. I would recommend that you join a few clubs as then you will meet people who like the same things as you and who you may not meet otherwise if they are not in your year or house. Be you in to Sports, arts or academics there is a club for you. Eventually you will find your own niche.
From,
your friend aunt meg.

Author: Rhiannon McGowan​
<i>
</i>

Horoscopes for Everyone!

Aries:
Romantic interests seem on the rise with you Aries. You have been staying positive fairly recently and you should keep that up. This positivity will come back to you, it'll bring new and greater friendships, and give you that confidence to work even harder in school. Do not however let the romantic interests dictate anything about your life, though they might try.

Taurus:
Taurus you've been staying especially healthy recently, and this is excellent. The past few months haven't been your favourite but things will get better from here on out. Continue with the healthy lifestyle and you'll find classes come easier, you might be able to get those marks you've been dying for.

Gemini:
Be wary Gemini, there are dark clouds which surround you right now. You should try to remove this negative energy from your life and replace it with something more positive. Perhaps you should branch out in your extra-curricular activites, make some new friends, and just branch out.

Cancer:
Been feeling a little alone? Try talking, it's maybe not what you really want to do, but your friends and there for you, and they'll be happy to just listen to what you have to say. If they start judging you then get rid of them. You don't need people like that in your life Cancer.

Leo:
Things in your life have altered slightly, and not necessarily in ways that you expected Leo, but do not fear. This change brings with it, and air of goodness. Success and some good fortune are definitely there in the near future for you to get. Keep riding through these changes with the ease and good things will come.

Virgo:
Virgo things have been like a roller-coaster. There is no simpler way of putting it. While things for the moment have been getting steadily better, you fear it will come to an abrupt end. Do not let these fears cloud your mind when making decisions. The roller-coaster will end, and everything will be so much better. Don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back.

Libra:
Completed a life goal recently? I'm sure you have, even if you didn't altogether think of it as a life goal. Things are definitely looking good for you Libra. I'm happy for that. With some minor struggles along the way, there seemed no end to the work load. But rest assured that you will be fine, and you will have success this year in your studies.

Scorpio:
Scorpio's are known for there short-temperedness, but well done on keeping it minimum this term. You've been able to create new and better friendships, and there might just be love in the near future. Continue to work with your friends, old and new, and this streak of calm will continue. Scorpio, while ever so often letting off steam is good, remember that too much can drive the people you love away.

Sagittarius:
Feeling the joyous mood? Good, use this in your studies and in your friends. Be sure to think of them however before you act over joyous, they might not all be having as good a time as you. Talk, listen to them. You might find out things you've been wanting to know for a while. Open yourself up more to those with a less happy outlook and you might get a lot back.

Capricorn:
Don't worry too much, you've been so stressed lately Capricorn. It's not good for you, it really isn't. Try talking a small step back, hang out with your friends a little more. Talk to someone new. Don't bury yourself away, it won't end well, and you still might not get what you're working for. Take a deep breath, take a little bit of time for something other than studies, and it might just benefit you a lot.

Aquarius:
Go outside more! Really, being all the time indoors isn't good for you. You've been short and ill-mannered, remember that you aren't the only one with issues, and that things will get better. You'll see opportunities that were not there before. You'll start new relationships, and rekindle ones you've been pushing away. It'll be good for you Aquarius, trust me.

Pisces:
New people have entered your life, and you're not yet certain about them. Trust in your instincts Pisces, they've never lead you wrong before. Don't worry so much on pleasing everyone, thinking too much of others isn't good. Take some time for yourself and just think about what you want. This will help you, and you'll be happier. It's important to think of others, yes, but Pisces do not forget about yourself.

Author: Sage Ottavi​
<i>
</i>

Cookery Corner!

As part of our new Entertainment Section we are going to be doing something different and to kick it off, here is our new 'Cookery Corner'. Every month we're going to be giving you a few handy tips and recipes that will have your taste buds buzzing in no time at all.

Well as Halloween is over I thought I'd start this off with a few ways to get rid of that left over pumpkin. Well pumpkin as we all know from first year Herbology, is a very versatile fruit, used more for our routine Pumpkin Juice in the mornings and a slice of Pumpkin Pie at dessert. Well, pumpkins are actually used for a number of things. Our ever so popular Jack-O-Lanterns at Halloween, the seeds alone make a nice snack, Pumpkin chucking - yes it's a sport, growing them to as big as they can be for Pumpkin festivals and competitions, the Native Americans even dried strips of Pumpkin and wove them into mats.

But that's enough of that, what you're here for is the food aspect of it right? Well pumpkin, as I said, is a very versatile fruit and can be used for many things. Here are a small selection of my favourites: [ul][li]Pumpkin Soup</LI>
[li]Pumpkin cheesecake
[li]Spiced pumpkin tart with stem ginger cream
[li]Japanese pumpkin salad
[li]Pumpkin pie
[li]Pumpkin curry with chickpeas[/li][/ul]
But alas, I'm not going to be tempting your taste buds with all of this dishes today, no, I shall be giving you one of my personal favourites, which I hope in turn you will enjoy also.

But before we start, please remember the basic rules before you start to cook. [ul][li]Wash your hands!
[li]If you have long hair tie it back - no one likes hair in their food!
[li]Have your area clean and keep it tidy throughout!
[li]Have your food prepped and ready to go before you start cooking!
[li]Wear an apron - unless you like getting dirty!
<LI>[li]And lastly, have fun![/li][/ul]
So today I will be tempting you all with is pumpkin cheesecake. For all you budding chefs or even for those of you who has never cooked a day in your life a cheesecake is a simple dish to make and will definitely get your taste buds buzzing.
<SIZE size="100">Pumpkin Cheesecake
pumpkincheesecake_8826_16x9.jpg

Ingredients
225g/8oz digestive biscuits
60g/2oz butter
juice and zest 1 lemon
340g/12oz cooked pumpkin (steamed or roasted)
225g/8oz caster sugar
450g/1lb cream cheese
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2.5g/½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
4 eggs
90ml/3fl oz double cream
90ml/3fl oz natural yogurt

Method
1. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
2. Bash the digestive biscuits into crumbs. Melt the butter over a low heat and mix in the biscuit crumbs and lemon zest. Lightly grease a 25cm/10in loose-bottomed cake tin and press the crumbs into the base and up the sides slightly.
3. Mix together the cream cheese, pumpkin flesh, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Beat the eggs and fold into the pumpkin mixture. Turn into the tin and bake in the oven for 90 minutes until the surface is set but the underneath still slightly squidgy.
4. Take the cheesecake out of the oven and let it cool in the tin. When cool, turn it on to a serving plate, cover with food wrap and chill overnight.
5. Whip the double cream until thick and fold in the yogurt and the lemon juice. Spread over the top of the cheesecake and serve at room temperature. There you have it folks, easy as pie - and just as tasty! I hope you all enjoy making your cheesecakes or looking up some other pumpkin related recipes and trying them out too. If you have any suggestions of an ingredient or type of dish you would like featured in the next installment of Hogwarts Monthly please let me know as I would love to hear all of your ideas!

<B>Author: Iason Samartzi​
<i>
</i>

Editor's Note

Greetings!

Another magical year awaits for us all! Hooray!

I'd like to thank all of my lovely staff who were able to get all this done on time and for keeping up with me. The paper wouldn't be complete without all of you. So thank you! I look forward to our upcoming issues and future writers! To everyone, who are reading this right now, cheers!

<SIZE size="75"><B>Editor-in-Chief : Khione Hawthorne​
<i>
</i>

<SIZE size="75">

Users who are viewing this thread

Back