The Birds Are Using Magic As Well

Peregrine Blackmore

OOC First Name
Perrin
Peregrine Blackmore strolled out of the castle and down the grounds, breathing in the fresh air. With the first day of classes over, Perrin felt like a little reading and relaxing would be nice. She slung her bag off her shoulder, took off her robes, rolled up te sleeves of her shirt and slipped her shoes and socks off. Breathing a sigh of contentedness, she dipped her feet into the cold lake water.

The air that day wasn't chilly, but it wasn't quite hot either. Just right. She dug Quidditch Through the Ages out of her bag and opened it up. She had borrowed this from the library earlier today and was excited to begin reading it. She opened it and began reading aloud.

(Sorry it's short! Usually my posts are longer.)

Broderick was feeling a bit different today. He didn't understand why, but he set out towards the grounds for some fresh air and maybe a bit of writing in his journal. He wasn't usually the type for the outdoors; he preferred staying indoors, but, again, he was feeling out of it lately. Perhaps that broom hit him a little too hard the other day. Just the thought of it brought pain back into his nose. He touched it lightly remembering the embarrassment of it all. Yet, he smiled. It must have been amusing to see a broom magically levitate off the ground and hit him square in the face. He started chuckling as he made his way to the Lakefront.

When he got close enough to see it, he remembered just how big it was from when he first arrived. It was about half a mile in diameter from what he could see. With a Giant Squid and colonies of mermaids at the bottom. As he scanned the lakefront searching for a spot to sit, he noticed a girl with a book and her feet in the water reading. He didn't know if he should sit by her, considering that whenever he read he hated being interrupted. Instead, he sat somewhat near her, not to bother her, and he took out his journal for some writing.

Perrin didn't notice the boy until chapter 4, when she looked up, wondering if there were any golden Snidgets in the forbidden forest. She sort of did a double take, not expecting anyone to be there. He had come up rather quietly. When she observed him a little longer, she realized he was the boy she had laughed at during Flying lessons. She smirked; his nose was still a little red.
The boy seemed to be writing in a notebook, maybe homework or something. Perrin cleared her throat.
"Hullo." She said, a little awkwardly. "Your nose feeling better?" She asked him, half teasing with te hint of a smile on her face.

Broderick was completely taken by his writing and was really getting into it. Scribbling down each word he thought of, forming it into a sentence. He was currently writing about what had happened over the past week. His journal was more like a diary, but less dramatic and error-filled. He wrote and drew the things he's learned and seen here at Hogwarts. Nothing interesting yet, but getting there. He even tried sketching the lakefront, the broom that hit him in the face, He even drew a few of the House Symbols for the friends he's made so far. He was just so focused on his writing and drawing that he didn't notice the girl looking at him. When she cleared her throat he jerked his head up, slightly startled. She said hello and asked him about his nose. He heard a teasing tone in her voice, but answered anyway, "You saw that did you? Yeah, it's feeling a little better." He blushed a bit, embarrassed at the fact that she saw that awful mess.

Perrin concealed the smile at his blush, but now she didn't really know what to say again. She thought she might've heard an irritated tone in his response, but she couldn't be sure. Perrin was wondering why she spoke up in the first place if she had nothing to say, when she realized she didn't even know the boy's name. So, as an obvious effect, she asked.
"What's your name?" She tried to sound friendly.

She hadn't really met anyone here yet, and she figured that this boy we a good place to start. They may not see each other all that often, seeing as they were in different houses, but there wasn't really anybody else around, exactly. There were some birds soaring high above the lake, and Peregrine admired the way they gracefully soared about, and their rippling reflections in the cold lake water.

When Broderick started feeling the blood rush to his face and ears, he tried to hide it as best he can buy lowering his head and continued to writing. When she asked his name he looked up once again, face a little less red. "Broderick," he replied holding out his hand to shake hers. "What's yours?" Looking at her, he did remember her in potions, very faintly though. He hasn't really met a Gryffindor yet, and not many girls. The only friends he had were Marietta and Frederick, who he believed didn't even like him that much. Marietta on the other could become friends with just about anyone. He wish he had that skill. All he could be is awkward and silent.

Perrin shook Broderick's outstretched hand.
"I'm Peregrine. But call me Perrin." She said with a little smile. She released his hand, and looked over at the water again, kicking her feet a little. There was another silence, but this one felt a little more natural. "So what do you think?" Perrin spoke up. "Of all this? I know I was expecting something amazing, but this is brilliant." She gazed serenely at the sky, the birds now out of sight. She remembered when her letter came. She was so excited she knocked over the centerpiece on the dining room table, which have been some flowers. Her mother had to quickly levitate them back onto the table to prevent them from crashing on the hardwood floor below.

(Sorry for the shortish post. Can't think of much else to write.)

The girl shook Broderick's hand and introduced herself as Peregrine... or Perrin as she prefers. They released hands and he looked back at his journal, while she looked toward the water. There was some silence until she asked what he thought of 'Of all this.' Broderick didn't really know what he thought. He was raised around magic and he knew he go to Hogwarts at some point in his life. When he got his letter, he wasn't very surprised. His mother, though, yelled as if she'd won the lottery. She insisted on celebration, even if it was nothing to celebrate. He left her with tears in both their eyes. His father holding his tears back. He took a deep breath to respond to her question. "I have to say, the school itself is bloody brilliant, but I have that feeling where I'm just waiting to go back home, ya know? Like when you're away on vacation and you just can't wait to get back home. To feel your bed again and to hear your parents just come from work, so you can give them a big hug." He paused for a moment thinking. "It's been only a few days here and I'm already homesick." He gave a little smile. "Do you miss your home?" He asked. He felt kind of stupid for asking that, but it was too late now.

(Don't worry about it. It's fine)

Perrin blinked, a little suprised at the Broderick's repsonse. She thought for a moment, however, and found that she could relate.
"Yeah." She spoke, a little quietly. Thinking about it further, she realized that's he simply hadn't thought about home. Now that she was remembering her mother's hugs, and her father's cooking in the morning, she realized that she did miss those things. She felt a little sad for a minute, ten decided that she'd write to her parents this evening. "Yeah, I do." She answered again. "I think for me it's more like I was super excited to come, and now that I'm here I'm still trying to stay excited. And I am, maybe I should...I dunno. All the adrenine is gone, and I'm still sort of, holding on to it." She paused, realized she was sharing her thoughts with a boy she'd just met. "Sorry." She said, turned to smile a little crookedly at him. "I usually don't go that deep."

Broderick smiled at her last comment. "No need to apologize, I was getting pretty deep there myself," Brod always got deep when he was still in his writing zone. Whenever he got interrupted in his writing, like now, he would go into a deep philosophical trance randomly. His mother called it his Corvidae because he sounded wise and intelligent whenever he got really deep, like a Ravenclaw. Okay, now the mood is depressing me a bit, he thought. He tried to come up with something to ask. "Anyway, what's the book you're reading? You seemed pretty into it." He usually got the same way when reading. Brod loved fiction books more than any other, and when he started it was hard for him to stop. He hoped Perrin liked books as much as he did. Not many of his other friends were that into books, like he was.

Peregrine's face lit up when Broderick mentioned her book.
"Oh! Yeah, I borrowed it from the library." She held up the book so he could see the cover, which read Qudditch Through the Ages. "I've been wanting to get more information on Quidditch for a while now, but I've never seen this book anywhere else. I usually read other books, though. Ranger's Apprentice is a series I've read, but I'm starting it over; I never finished the series last time." Perrin paused, relizing she'd rambled on a little. She smiled, a little apologetically. What do you like to read? I suppose you haven't heard of the Ranger's Apprentice...unless you have?" She asked, giving him the chance to speak. Peregrine asked him the two questions a little more casually, beginning to feel a more comfortable around Broderick.

Broderick could see the excitement on the girls face at his mention of the book. Yet, when she showed him the cover, he tried to hide his frown. Qudditch Through the Ages wasn't something he would be particularly fond of, considering that flying lesson. He wasn't a fan of Quidditch either. He'll watch it, but never play. Peregrine continued explaining that she needed more information on the sport, but it wasn't the kind of book she usually reads. Ranger's Apprentice was a series she was reading. Broderick had never heard of it, until now of course. He knew the Artemis Fowl series, the Percy Jackson series... heck, he's even heard of the Game of Thrones series, but hasn't read it yet. His mother is very strict with what he reads, but she said third year he could. "I like to read anything that's fiction honestly. Whether it's Realistic Fiction or Fantasy. And no, actually I have not heard of the series. I don't know if the library has it or not, but if it does I'll definitely start reading it."

Perrin nodded in response, and there was a hush again. She closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air, facing the lake. Her book sat in her lap, it's pages flapping in the wind. Her thoughts drifted to her father, and for once, she let them. She's been close with her father before...He was goofy, and Perrin inherited her blue eyes and teasing nature from him. He is...was. A funny man, and would always sing purposely loud and out if tune, especially while pancakes, for some reason. She wondered if that Lethifold was still out there. Could you kill a Lethifold? She voiced her thoughts, "hey Broderick, do you know what a Lethifold is?" She asked, keeping the for away sort of sound out of her voice.

Perrin only nodded at what he said and then she turned to the lake. Broderick did the same. It wasn't long until Peregrine started up the conversation again, but it was a very odd topic to bring up. She asked Broderick if he knew what a Lethifold was. A Lethifold? he thought, how does she know what it is? Broderick only knew what the creature was because his mother kept a book called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A book written by Newt Scamander detailing magizoology and describing magical creatures. There was a page on the Lethifold. After reading that page, Broderick stayed up night after night, afraid of the thing. It wasn't until his mother caught on and told him she would never let it get him that he decided to sleep once again. Brod answered, "yeah. Why?" He hated to pry, but the question came out of nowhere and he was curious.

Perrin scolded herself for not thinking this through, but mentally shrugged. It wasn't like it was a super deep secret, it was just a little uncomfortable to talk about. Peregrine thought for a second, a small bit surprised that he did know what the creature was.
"What do you about them?" she asked, giving this question more thought. Her father's death had always been a touchy subject, for Perrin, but of course it would be. Peregrine purposely left Broderick's question unanswered. She figured now that the conversation had been engaged, she might as well continue with it.

Broderick could see the surprise in Perrin's face at his knowing of the creature. A Lethifold is a very rare creature, and it was never something talked about among most people. Brod was also eleven, he shouldn't have known about the thing at all at his age. Same for Perrin. Why would she bring up such a creature out of nowhere? he thought.

Peregrine, then, asked what he knew about them. Ignoring his question as to why she was asking about a dang Lethifold in the first place, but Broderick understood she probably didn't want to talk about it. She clearly ignored his question, she didn't mishear. Relentless, he gave what he knew, "Well... I know that they are definitely not good," yep not good. "I mean I don't want to go into details, but I only know as much as any other witch and wizard. Like what they look like, what they do... that sort of thing." He didn't want to somehow trigger the girl with the details of how a Lethifold will suffocate it's prey, a human being, and devour it whole, leaving no trace. He knew better. Brod didn't want to ask why she wanted to know again, so he just asked the same question she asked him, "What do you know about them?"

A chill went up Perrin's spine. She didn't know why she'd started this, and wasn't quite happy with herself. She could sense Brod's growing curiosity, however, and inwardly sighed. She shrugged absently, answering his question. "More or less the same." Now how were you planning to 'subtly' ask him if he knew if one could be killed, if so, how so? a voice in the back of her mind said sarcastically. For a second, Perrin wondered if she should just drop it. It was out of character, to be this...sober. Usually she was all smiled and laughs. But, now that she thought about it, it was nice not be be joking about something for once. She shook her head, a slight apologetic smile on her lips. Sorry, it's nothing, it's just..." she trailed off, her move to satisfy his curiosity faltering. "I've just been...thinking about them a lot lately..." True. "I mean it's no big deal, but... False. Perrin shook her head once more, picking the grass from the ground a fiddling with it in her hands. "I dunno." She was just about to leave it at that, but then something stupidly inpulsive inside her decided that he was going to learn one way or another and it REALLY wasn't such a big deal to keep the facts to herself. That part of her urged her to speak and she did and now, oh well, she'd need to finish the sentence anyway. "Well you see my dad...he um...a Lethifold...got him..one night, and...well I guess I was just wondering...and I know it sounds stupid, and a little clichè, but...do you know how to kill one?" Here she turned to Broderick, hoping he wouldn't laugh or something. The whole revenge idea was just that; an idea. She knew she probably would never actually go searching for a Lethifold, much The One That Killed Her Father. However if she ever became an Auror or something, she'd want to know, simply for that satisfaction of it all. She inwardly rolled her eyes at how long it had taken her to say those words.

Broderick could see just how uncomfortable the poor girl was with this subject. Perrin seemed to trail off alot when she was just beginning to tell him why she would bring up Lethifolds. Picking at grass and fiddling with her hands. Broderick just stared at her, waiting for her reasoning. When she finally revealed that a Lethifold had...killed her father, Broderick's face went from curiosity to awestruck. The first thing he wanted to ask was if she was sure it was a Lethifold. Lethifolds leave no trace of their presence and don't make any noise. It's very hard to determine such an attack. But she seemed too sure of it.

It wasn't until after Perrin's question that Broderick's face stopped looking so stupidly in awe. He only looked at her, confused at the fact that she didn't know there's no possible way to kill a Lethifold, but Broderick couldn't say that could he? According to Flavius Belby, the only survivor of a Lethifold attack, you can only chase them off with a Patronus spell. There are no records of being able to completely destroy these creatures. Kind of like Dementors. Broderick decided to be honest with the girl, "It's not stupid. A little Clichè, yes, but not stupid. Your father was taken by one of those things. If that ever happened to my father, I would have revenge on every one of those things." The act of revenge is very logical on her part, but in this case she can't do anything about it. Broderick gave a sigh before revealing the bad news, "I'm sorry to say, though, that there is no known way to kill a Lethifold. Only repel them." He looked down, feeling bad for his honesty.

Perrin looked up, grateful for Broderick's kind answer. Her shoulders dropped a little when Broderick said that he didn't know how a Lethifold could be killed, but then she shrugged. What was she expecting? A fellow 11-year-old to have some secret information about Lethifolds? The idea of revenge seemed unlikely. There were too many flaws, too many problems that couldn't be fixed. Suprisingly, Perrin felt relieved. She had thought she might regret being vulnerable with Broderick, but as it turned out, she felt like a large weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She smiled.
"Thanks." she said sincerely to Broderick. She looked back out toverthe lake, and noticed that the sun was dipping towards the horizon. "hey, we'ee better go inside. It's getting late." She smiled again, wider this time. It was like one of those times when you feel completely and utterly filled with joy, and you have no idea why. and they hadn't been talking about a particularly joyous topic, after all. She stood, a tad reluctantly, taking time dusting herself up and returned her socks and shoes to her feet. Once they were both ready, they set off back towards the castle.

Broderick was relieved to see that Perrin didn't get upset at his answer, and when she smiled at him he smiled back. After her thanks she turned back to the lake, Brod did the same. He noticed that the sun was going down just as Perrin turned back to him to say they should head back. Broderick nodded in agreement. It was getting late and they should be up and early for classes tomorrow. They both stood up to dust off sand and dirt and Broderick snatched up his book. Perrin hers. And they started up to the school.

Broderick was starting to warm up to people here, he realized as both of them walked in silence. His parents would be proud at his success at making friends. Perrin made a great addition to those that he already had. She was so much more interesting than him in every way, so her influence would be greatly appreciated. Although, it was still sad what happened to her father, it seemed it was almost out of a book. Maybe one day Perrin will find her chance to take revenge on the Lethifolds, but for now this is only the beginning of the story that they'll both have to read through.

OOCOut of Character:
So, is this the end of the RP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back