Starting Afresh

Tristan was glad that Julie did not press further with anything about his hacking, spinning around to the cupboard. His eyes locking with a particular door, his hand slipped into his pocket. His fingers were grasped about his wand, before he vaulted back to reality. He was slow to unclench his fist. Leaving the magical item in his pocket he pulled out his hand, a bead of sweat breaking out on his brow. "Sorry, still getting used to the place," he stated with a rather nervous grin, opening the cupboard and finding a few glasses that he had stored in there. He was glad that he had caught himself before he performed any magic, as that would have been incredibly bad. Not only would he have sent his new neighbor running out howling and screaming he would most definitely have to flee. And he didn't want to relocate again. This place was starting to grow on him, with its suburban charm. He could get used to not having anyone know who he was everytime he turned the corner, to be able to behave cordially to people he did not know.

"That would be fine with me," he stated, attempting to regain his composure. It was best for him not to think about Morgase; he was leagues away from moving on but he knew that he had to start somewhere. "Car seat?" He was forced to surpress a groan. He did not know what a car seat was, and hoped that Julie would take it as a moment of forgetfulness perhaps, maybe would think his 'wife' had done most of the parenting. Which, Morgase had, despite the fact that she hadn't been his wife. He did not know that it was a security measure for a child in a car, not having spent much time with Estrella in those matters. And Erik was a pure blood wizarding child; the boy had never ridden in a car before.

His throat caught up a bit as he moved to the faucet, filling her glass up with clear water and handing it to her. "I apologize, I hope no ice is fine." He frowned a bit, pouring himself his own and leaning against the counter. His large hand encompassing much of the outer surface space of the glass, he attempted to steel himself, replying, "This last summer. I am sorry for your loss also." He was not sure what else to say, knowing that he could not get teary eyed; it would uproot his stance as a man. "Tissue? Oh, yes." He rummaged in one of the boxes, handing her a handkerchief, knowing that it was the next best thing that he had to Kleenex. Thankfully, it was clean. He really needed to get in tune with the muggle world; muggle studies had given him a crash course, and he found that he was learning new things about it everyday.

Julie took the handkerchief from the man. "Thanks," she spoke softly as she dabbed at her eyes. "Some times I hate contacts. Make my eyes sensitive to just about everything," she added with a chuckle. She then looked at the confused look on Ethan's face when she mentioned the car seat. "Yeah, car seat. That thing your son rides in in the car? Wait, do you have a car?" She had not seen a car pull in and out of the driveway at all, which would possibly lead to him not having a car seat.

Erik had long since gobbled up his cookie, a mess of chocolate and crumbs coating his face. His two and a half year old mind had not gathered the patience to sit in one space for long. Sliding off of the couch he moved into the kitchen, hoping to get another sugary treat despite the fact that his belly was full.

"Daddy cookie?" he stated, pointing to the tray of cookies, although he could not reach them. "Fly broom." He may have hurt himself before but since he had been healed he was now eager to be back on his toy broomstick again. He smiled up at the woman who was standing in the kitchen talking to his Daddy, asking, "Joo-ly?"

"I have never had- contacts," Tristan said slowly, having no conception whatsoever of what they were. He was going to get himself into a load of trouble if he kept prattling on about muggle things, so he looked to her with a grin, attempting to cover it up. "Car? No. I mean, I don't have a car, I came here by taxi." He had had a van once, but a certain bunch of meddling kids had rendered it unrepairable. "We used the car seat in the taxi." He hoped that he was wording this right, still a little shaky on muggle objects. He may have to flock to somewhere wizarding and pick up a book on muggle objects, although here wizarding places seemed few and far between.

"No, Erik. No more cookies for you right now," he replied to his son firmly, noticing that Erik was attempting to be charming with his good looks, or rather, cuteness. He had recognized that it was a way of getting himself what he wanted, a technique that he was all too familiar with when he had been younger. He looked back to the woman, and then back to his son, hoping he would be able to skip the comment about the broom. He would confuse both Erik and Julie in this matter, he knew, if he opened his mouth.

Julie chuckled as Erik mentioned flying a broom. "Do you have a toy broomstick too? My Liza has one of those. It was all the rage a few years ago. I forget the name of those books about the little wizard boy that sparked off that rage, but she found one in a secondhand shop and loves to pretend to fly around the house. She wears the robes we found at a rummage sale too. It is way cute. Maybe they will have to have their brooms out in the back yard sometime." She looked back up at Tristan. "We will have to get you to a store to pick up a car seat. If you want, I can take you. My late husband has family across the street from us and I am sure that I will be able to get one of them to watch her while we run to get one. You will need one soon, even if you take taxis everywhere, they don't always have one." Julie raised the glass of water to her mouth and took a drink, wondering if she was too happy to help out this stranger, and if that would be a problem for her later on.

Tristan choked a bit on his water, having gone to school with the boy who was all the rage in the muggle world years ago. "Harry Potter? Never liked him myself. He always seemed to me like a conceited prat. And then becoming Head of the Auror offices? The moment he was in- I mean, if I were a wizard and an auror, I would contemplate leaving." He coughed again, and saved himself, adding, "The character of course. There were definitely better characters in there." He smiled, hoping that he didn't sound too much like an arsehole. He was making one of himself at this moment, and if he wasn't careful he was going to say too much and raise questions. "Anyways, yeah, it's just paraphenilia from the books. My brother always liked them, and he gave this toy broom to Erik for Christmas last year." That of course was a fib, but it didn't hurt. He made a note to lock away his son's broom before he could go flying with it.

He grinned broadly at Julie, glad that he had found someone that was so helpful. Especially considering that he himself wouldn't go out of his way to help a complete stranger. Neighbors were no exception. "I think that'd be incredibly helpful, and I would appreciate it. I should get to know the town." He smiled, and thought, And maybe I can look for a job too.

Julie's eyebrows raised just a bit as she listened to Ethan speak. It almost sounded like he was a bit too into the whole wizarding world playground that was created with those books. They were just fiction after all. She swallowed a bit more water, then set down her glass on the counter. "Did you want to go today or would another day work out better for you?" she asked politely.

It took a lot for Tristan to hide his embarrassment, hoping that Julie would think he had just read the over dramatized swelled up piece of crap that were the books the muggle world had devoured one too many times. He was glad to move back on to the topic of going out for a car seat, or whatever the heck the muggle contraption was.

"Any day works," he stated, smiling broadly, hoping that it was charming enough. "I mean, I don't have any huge priorities or anything." He hoped that he wasn't coming off as being a big jerk. Lorelai's family, in any case, had not been the greatest fans of him.

Julie thought about it for a minute. "Well, let me see when Liv can watch Liza, or if I am able to borrow another carseat to use. Do you have a phone number yet? I can call you when I figure things out." She looked up at him with a questioning look, not sure if he had established a phone yet. He was attractive, albeit for that eye that had an obvious accident at some point. And he seemed to be pretty personable. She hoped that he would be as nice as he was right now in the future.

Tristan shook his head, barely knowing how the fellytone, or whatever it was, worked. He had seen Lorelai use one a few times but he had never actually utilized the Muggle contraption himself. He cursed the innattentiveness that he had applied to Muggle Studies as a student.

"No, I do not have a number. Maybe just let me know in an hour or so?" He grinned politely, bending down and cradling his squirmy worm of a son in large arms. He was glad that Julie was so friendly, he might be lost in the presence of muggles otherwise. She was quite good looking on top of it. He was running out of options of who to turn to, knowing that Josh was probably the only person who even had an inkling of how to function normally in this alien world. He had gotten where he needed to be to raise Erik without bad influences; now his mission was to learn how to operate where he was.

Julie watched as Ethan took his son into his arms. He is a rather large person, now isn't he. I hope he fits into my car, being as tall as he is. "Okay. I will run home then and get Eliza ready to go and call Liv and see what she is up to. Maybe I can borrow a seat as well. I will pop over in an hour or so and let you know what's what." With that, Julie turned toward the door. As she reached the door, she turned and said, "Glad to have met you Ethan." She smiled at him, and then headed out the door to her own, only a few steps away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back