Someone to Rely On

Shane was just finishing his shower when he heard Annika. He didn't say anything just finished getting dressed and opened the door. "I'm much better," Shane said to her. Shane gave a little smile to assure it. "Thanks, you know for looking after me," he told her before heading back to the kitchen to start making coffee. "I get a little chatty when I've got a fever, I hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing," he tried to say casually. He just wanted to be sure he hadn't ruined their friendship or said anything that might've cause her to pity him.

Annika was just about to open the door out of worry when Shane appeared. She was startled. She looked him over. "You look much better." She offered him with a playful smile. She followed after him, brushing her hair back. "You're welcome," She opened the fridge to see if she could throw together a light breakfast. "Oh, nothing unusual." She told him, taking out some eggs before walking to the stove to start on a light scramble. "You were mostly just attempting to be flirty, but really, nothing I haven't heard from you before."

Shane was watching her carefully for her response. He wasn't sure if she was telling the truth or trying to spare his feelings. They had never been the sort to talk about things and though they were closer now, and friends...he wasn't sure they were at the point where they could do that..."okay good," he replied, and just opted to believe her as he went back to doing the last few things with the coffee and then was able to just start sipping as he watched her cook.

Annika raised a brow at his behavior as she started breakfast. "Why?" She asked idly, watching her hands as she worked. "Is there something you're worried you told me?" She tried to sound casual. She wasn't sure if they were the type of friends that shared secrets. Gods knew she had plenty of her own. And she certainly wasn't prying into his business. She was just mildly curious. If he brushed her off then she would drop it. If there was one thing they were good at, it was skirting the serious things in favor of the lighter, more fun things.

Shane was trying to figure if she had figured or heard anything. He wasn't exactly worried, but he didn't want her to know things about him that he didn't know about. He wanted to be sure of what she did and did not know. He never wanted to be caught out. "I know when I get a fever....I sometimes....talk about my parents...." he picked his words slowly not looking at her, "I don't mind you knowing.....but just...what did I say?" he didn't want to have to explain it, since he wasn't sure how to explain it. But he had to ask.

Annika didn't look at Shane as he spoke. She let him get it all out before trying to give him an honest, serious answer. "Shane..." She considered her words a moment. "You didn't say anything about yourself. When I was with you, you would pull on my shirt and feed me silly little lines- tell me how pretty I was, how big your bed was, honestly nothing I haven't heard from you before, if not a bit sillier." Annika kept her eyes on her hands. "You mumbled a few times, but I would just walk away again and mostly let you sleep it off by yourself. I wasn't lurking by your bed the entire time. Perhaps you did, but I didn't hear anything."

She tried to reassure him, speaking gently and slowly. She peeked up at him then. "If... you feel like there are things you'd like to tell me, you can. But I don't know any more about you than I did last week." She promised, looking away again. "Unless you count how cranky and stubborn you can be when you're sick, but I still won." She smirked playfully.

Shane was reassured as she talked about what he'd said. "You are very pretty Annika," he added playfully, but it was reassuring a little. He felt a little bad for getting so anxious about it but was just the nature of who he could be. He then considered it and gave a little sigh, "My parents died in a fire, I know sometimes with a fever I have nightmares about it," Shane told her, he met her gaze and gave a little smile. He had been looking to avoid her having that information but it was now said and she was one of the first people he'd told in years, possibly since it had happened. "I'm not dumping on you, you don't have to say anything back...I just....thanks for looking after me," He felt a little better for her knowing and knew now if he ever had a fever again she wouldn't end up blindsided by something he said.

Annika was listening quietly to Shane. She was taken aback by his words. She wasn't sure what she had been expecting him to be worried about, but she certainly hadn't expected that. She was quiet a moment, before turning and pulling Shane down into her arms for a tender hug. "We are friends, Dorogoy. Are we not?" She murmured, holding him close and shutting her eyes.

The last thing Shane had expected was a hug. He was stiff in her grasp for a moment, seemingly unaware of what he was to actually do in this moment. It had been a long while since he'd hugged and for something other than a move to be more endearing to the person he was trying to sleep with. This was from his first friend in years. He was slow to relax and his touch was light and unsure as he slowly held her back. He knew he should end the hug pull away and put more distance between them, but he was weak and kept it going. "Thank you Annika," he repeated, speaking so softly, and he wasn't even sure if this was another thank you for looking after him or a thank you for the hug.

Annika just held Shane, shutting her eyes. She had started this hug, but she meant to let him end it. It was nice, and oddly enough she didn't mind it. It wasn't quite their usual flirtatious manner, but it was a little bit more than platonic. It was warm. Like a nice cup of cocoa after a winter storm. She knew it wasn't anything to worry about. At his soft words, she smiled, playing with his hair. "What are friends for, Shawn?" She teased him gently.

Shane pulled out of the hug, and then gave a little smile at Annika. "Yeah yeah," he said with a friendly tone, though a little dismissly, not wanting to draw that much attention to it. It wasn't something he should want to draw attention to. He knew he probably shouldn't but he was finishing his coffee, "Do you want to lock the door behind you?" he asked.

Annika was almost sad when Shane pulled away, but she pushed the thought aside, not too fussed about it. She chuckled at his question and shook her head. "Well," she pretended to look him over. "You don't look dead anymore." She stuck her tongue out at him. "But my bed is more appealing than you right now," She blew him a kiss. "Later Shawn," She called over her shoulder, sashaying out of his apartment (of course locking the door behind her) and going to bed in her own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back