Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Sia) (Bisexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Flexible Elm Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
October had been avoiding... Professor Ward since they had all arrived at Hogwarts at the start of the year. It was still a shock, seeing him and April around Hogwarts, after listening to them both lie about magic for two whole years. Sure, their reasons made sense, and she and dad had been telling... the exact same lie right back, but while dad trusted the Wards implicitly for some reason, October hadn't shared their last year of getting all kissy huggy family, and she saw no reason to trust them completely.

When dad had written to let October know he had told Matt everything it had taken October a long time to decide how she felt about this, and how she wanted to react. She felt like she wasn't even part of this family anymore, this new family with dad and Matt and April and everyone laughing and hugging and knowing dad's deepest, most important secrets. October didn't like it, and she wasn't just going to sit around and let her family change around her without having her say. Shoulders squared and jaw set, October knocked firmly on Professor Ward's door, running through everything she wanted to say again in her mind.

Matt had been having a relaxing day. He didn't have any classes to teach and he'd curled up in his office with a good book. He'd been enjoying his time at Hogwarts, but it was rare to have a peaceful moment within these walls. He was just getting to a good part when there was a knock on the door. He expected it was one of his colleagues, so when he opened the door and saw a student he was surprised. That surprise turned into delight when he realized who it was. "October!" He said, a grin appearing instantly on his face. "How nice of you to stop by." He hadn't seen his partner's daughter much lately, though he had wanted to talk to her since he started working here. "Come in, come in. Want some tea?"

This was really it then. October's already tense posture stiffened even further as Professor Ward opened the door, determined to keep her focus in the face of his overly friendly greeting. (What did he think they were?!) "Hello." She said curtly, stepping into his office. "No, thank you. I just wanted to discuss some things." October took a seat and gathered her thoughts, waiting for Matt to take his own before she started speaking.

"Dad told me that the two of you talked at the start of the year." She said coldly. This was even more difficult than she had expected now that she was sitting here. Matt was... likeable, sure. Ostensibly a good dad, though April's behaviour certainly called that into question. Probably nice? Dad liked him. A lot, apparently. But October didn't know what to think about this stranger in her home, in her family, knowing things he shouldn't. "Are we alone?" It felt paranoid to ask, October couldn't see any real reason why there would be anyone else in his office, but she wasn't going to talk about dad's secrets anywhere anyone who shouldn't know them might overhear. A list of places that absolutely should have included any room Matt was in, but the situation was what it was, and October was here to deal with it.

Matt could sense the animosity coming off the girl he hoped would be his stepdaughter one day. He kept his smile in place, though. He wondered what it was she wanted to discuss, maybe she had questions about electives for next year? Or maybe she needed help with her homework. This girl was so serious, she was very different from his own daughter April, he often thought she could learn something from October.

They both took a seat and the girl started to talk. Matt immediately understood what she was here to say when she mentioned the talk she had with her dad. Of course. His expression softened, though he didn't say anything just yet. Her question surprised him, but he nodded. "Yes, of course we are." He told her gently. "Everything you say in here is completely confidential. I... I think I know what you want to talk about." He paused. "If you have questions or concerns, I hope I can help you. I support and love your dad, and that hasn't changed."

October watched Matt icily, her expression not wavering in the slightest as he tried to reassure her. The fact that he was trying was something. Dad said he had taken it well, but October didn't trust that he would actually be sensible about something so important. She had wanted to talk to him first-hand, and this was... promising. That was something. But not everything.

Folding her arms, October nodded slowly. "That's good to hear." She said tensely. "But I'm worried you don't actually understand how serious this is. Dad's struggled for years because of his condition, and people finding out almost always makes things worse for him." October didn't think dad had told a single person in her lifetime, but she remembered vividly stories he had told her about his youth, about rejections and struggles caused by his condition. "You can't tell anyone, obviously. At all. And don't hassle him about it. He takes wolfsbane. He's safe. Don't make him feel bad about things he can't control. He didn't choose to be like this, he just has to deal with it."

October's mind shifted to her most pressing concern, the issue that really scared her. "Does April know?" She asked slowly, a hint of her nerves actually sneaking into her voice. April was a... fun friend, but October knew she loved to talk about anything and everything, and October didn't trust her with such an important secret at all.

October's cold expression was starting to unnerve Matt, she was so different from April it was hard to imagine they were around the same age. He listened to her carefully, making sure she knew he was taking her seriously. "I do understand how serious this is, October." He said gently. "I know it wasn't something your dad told me lightly, and I'm not going to tell another soul without his explicit permission. I would never let him get in danger." He smiled a little sadly. "I know you worry about him, but it isn't your job to protect him, alright? He's in good hands." He nodded at her. "I won't hassle him about it, I know about the wolfsbane. I know he's safe. I wouldn't let him be around April if I had even the slightest doubt about that." It might not be the best thing to say, but it was honest. He hoped she would appreciate that. "I know I can trust him and that he's still the wonderful man I fell in love with." He paused. "And no, I haven't told April yet." He said gently. "I don't know when I will, but I would never do that without discussing it with both your dad and yourself first. I'm aware she might not... be ready for information this delicate." April blurted out anything and everything, which worried Matt a lot in this case. He couldn't really blame October for being worried, but he hoped he had reassured her.

October frowned as she listened. She didn't know if she genuinely trusted Matt not to tell anyone, but she didn't exactly have a choice, he knew now, so the best they could do was hope. "I mean it, even if you break up or something. Whatever happens, you can't ever, ever tell anyone." She said firmly, wanting to impress the importance upon him as much as possible. Something about his next comment about April's safety rubbed October the wrong way. "Of course April's safe, what kind of horrible person do you think dad is?" She snapped, folding her arms. "I've lived with dad for thirteen years and I'm fine, what, did you think he was just biding his time to attack April or something?! Her safety isn't even an issue."

Her frown deepened as he discussed telling April. "She shouldn't know, period." October snapped. "It's none of her business. There's no reason for her to know. She's never visited us on the full moon and she never will, end of story. There's no reason to ever tell her. She won't take it seriously."

Matt could tell by the girl's expression that she wasn't pleased with his answers. He sighed, the possibility of a break up had hardly ever entered his head, not even really when Kyle had told him what he was. But even if they did, did October really think he was spiteful enough to leak something like this just to hurt someone over a broken relationship? "I would never tell anyone, not even if we break up." He told her, but he didn't think telling was going to be enough. But how to convince a scared girl of that? He sighed, he would just have to show her by sticking around and being there for her.

Her comments about April made him tense, though. He frowned. "Now, October. I told you I would never tell her without informing you first, but that is your father's decision and not yours." He said, his voice more stern. "He knows better than anyone else who to trust with information like that, and it would be a disservice to him to make those decisions for him. Besides, if ...things get ore serious between us, she will have to know."

October snorted, brow furrowed in frustration as she watched Matt. She didn't believe him at all, if he and dad broke up and he got angry enough, there would be no way of telling what he would do. There was nothing to do for it but watch him, though. Matt's next comments distracted October from her anger though, with a brand new wave of anger. "What do you mean more serious?!" She snapped. "You're just dad's boyfriend, you shouldn't know at all, let alone your daughter! Don't lecture me about what dad wants, you've only known him for three years, you're not part of this! April's a blabbermouth, she'd probably get herself killed trying to instagram him transforming!" October knew what she was saying was harsh, but she was furious with Matt, trying to push himself into this, like he was more part of her family than she was.

Matt's frown only deepened as the girl snorted and talked back to him in a way that showed him she didn't take him all that seriously. He stayed calm, but some of the friendliness had left his expression."I know I'm 'just' your dad's boyfriend, October. But our relationship is serious. We have been together for two years, and..." He sighed, not wanting to tell her too much before Kyle did. "Things are getting serious between us, we love each other. Your dad decided to confide in me for a reason." He looked a her sternly when she talked about April. He knew his daughter could be silly and unpredictable, but he knew that if he told her it was important and serious information, she would take it seriously. "Please don't talk about April like that." He told her quietly, his expression serious. "I know she is very different from you, but she is not unintelligent, nor is she reckless." He was trying his best not to show how angry the comments made him, the flippant mention of her dying by his partner's hand not helping in that matter. "I will tell her when Kyle and I see fit, and it is not your decision to make. April loves you, October. I think it would hurt her to know you think about her in this way."

October scowled, folding her arms. She could tell Matt was trying to make her feel guilty, but she didn't regret anything she was saying. "I'll make sure she hurts a lot worse if she blabs dad's secrets around!" She snapped. "April won't take it seriously, she's GOING to tell someone if you tell her! None of this is anything to do with either of you, just leave it ALONE and keep your mouth SHUT!" She glared at Matt dangerously, finding it hard to know where or how to stop now that she had broken the seal on her pent up frustration and anger.

Matt sighed, this conversation was getting them nowhere. "I do not think your dad would appreciate your tone to me." He told her. "April isn't going to hear your dad's secrets anytime soon, and when she does it will be because he tells her." He stayed cool and calm even as October glared and raised her voice, he knew better than to react to that. "I promise we'll discuss it with you as well when the time comes, you don't have to worry about your opinion not being heard." He paused. "But do not speak about April like that, she can be silly and can indeed be careless, but she wouldn't do that with information this important. Regardless, I'm not planning to tell her anytime soon, since it isn't my decision to make. As you have so succinctly said already." He got up and walked to the door, opening it for her. "I'll write to your father about your concerns." He told her simply. "I'm sure he can do a better job of easing your worries than I can." Especially since the girl probably wouldn't believe any reassurance coming from him.

October glared at Matt, getting up angrily as he did. He seemed completely unwilling to listen to any of her worries about things that weren't any of his business, and it was equal measures terrifying and infuriating. Terror wouldn't do anything in the situation, so October sided with her fury. She stalked over to Matt angrily as he opened the door, pointing up right at his face. "You're not part of my family, and I don't trust you." She snapped, glaring at him. "None of this is any of your business." Message delivered, she turned and stormed away down the corridor, determined to write her own letter, that would make it to dad before Matt's could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back