Sleepy Surprise

Artemis Tuuri

Artemis yawned over her beef stroganoff. Perhaps it was an odd time to be falling asleep; it was only seven o’clock. But all these nights worrying about her brother, fiddling with that ridiculous ring puzzle that Henric gave her and studying for Care of Magical Creatures had worn the little girl out. It had been like this for a week now. Generally someone was kind enough to lead her up to Ravenclaw Tower on wobbly, tired legs, but tonight she was mostly alone. Everyone was winding down after Halloween, it seemed. Art herself had missed the festivities as she curled up in the enormous four poster bed that was entirely too large for her and fallen asleep.

One person had even abandoned the idea of trying to get her up the stairs at nine. The boy had simply picked her up and Art, weighing almost nothing, didn’t feel a thing. It had been bizarre to wake up in the morning, late to class as usual, without ever knowing how she had gotten there. Either way, there were few Ravenclaws here tonight. Perhaps one of the teachers would wake her at ten. Already her eyes were drooping and she had stopped eating. Artemis dozed lazily, dreaming of a white haired goblin boy with an impish smile.

Jareth was sitting at the Slytherin table, hidden among the other students.
His eyes were on the girl he was going to the Yule Ball with and he smiled.
Jareth couldn't help but see Artemis as the most beautiful girl in the school- Alright, there were part-veelas and fairly attractive third years but they didn't really do it for Jareth.
He supposed that the connection of being the only part-goblins was something that made him really like Artemis.

Jareth finished holding the apple core that he had been done with 20 minutes before, and stood up, moving swiftly to the Ravenclaw table.
He smiled as he managed to sit down beside Artemis who looked particularly tired.
"Not been sleeping lately?" He asked, looking to her face which looked nothing like that of a part-goblin.

Artemis didn't even reply. She was fast asleep by this point. Art snuffled cutely into her napkin and was slipping sideways, back and back... Until she fell right into Jareth's lap. There she curled up for a moment, enjoying she sudden warmth when conciousness beckoned her back. Art rolled over and blinked up at the floating candles that seemed so far away. Well, would you look at that, thought Artemis, still in a dream. There he is, right there. Of course, she started awake "Oh!" she cried as she realised where she was. What a strange situation!

Immediately she sat up, only to smack her head on the underside of the wooden table. "Ooch," winced Art, and rolled off of him onto the stone floor. There she stayed in a ball, almost immobile from embarrassment. Gradually she found the courage to peek up at him from beneath her arms.

"Hallo," she greeted him with dignity before slipping up onto the bench next to him. "Sorry, I missed that. Say that again?"
Subtly, she rubbed the bruise on her forehead under the pretence of burshing her hair back.

(Uh whoops.. Forgot about this :p ))

Jareth was a little surprised when he looked over at Artemis and she was asleep.
He was even more surprised when she dropped into his lap.
It was peculiar feeling the light warmth of someone else especially as many avoided Jareth.

Jareth was in these thoughts when he heard a smack and realized Artemis was now on the stone floor.
He couldn't help but smile a little. Artemis was a strange wee creature but brilliant with it.
"I said," Jareth smiled avoiding eye contact for a moment, "Not been sleeping lately?"

"Oh," said Artemis sheepishly, before giving him a tiny smile that put dimples on her cheeks. "I suppose not,". Trust me to get all wobbly-legged over a boy for no reason, she told herself sternly. Then again, she had never in her entire life been so struck by a member of the opposite sex. She could admit that Tony was mysterious, Thomas was sweet-faced and Henric was simply to-die-for, but Jareth was on a whole new level of gorgeousness. Generally she payed little to no attention to the fact that a boy was handsome. She could still punch a pretty face if it got on her nerves. But Jareth? Hm, well, she had some explaining to do to herself.

"Feeling any better about Hogwarts then, hm?" asked Artemis to regain her sense as Jareth took them away. It was a genuine question, though. Last time she had seen him, he was looking so distraught that he was a part-goblin. Well he'd better get over that real quick, she grinned to herself. He's not short. He's just right.

Even so, she did not miss the fact that he wasn't looking into her eyes. What was he avoiding ...

Jareth shrugged.
"It's better than before," he said, having found that being part-goblin had its up sides.
"I don't get any trouble."
And then his eyes moved to hers quickly before flicking away.
He wasn't sure what powers goblins had and whether females differed from males..
"I.. um.. yeah, Yule Ball soon." He said, hoping she hadn't noticed he was a little pink in the face.
Jareth feared that she could see into his mind, see his thoughts of her and realize that she was the only girl who had ever truly fascinated him.

Artemis had no such powers, but even so she saw right through him. It mattered nothing to her, because she herself was preoccupied by keeping her own thoughts away from him. Her own cheeks were pink but she was well used to controlling her body, so she calmed her heart and her rushing blood. Her mind, however, was another matter again.

Yet the competitive side to her was piqued as Jareth did not look into her eyes for more than a moment. Artemis's eyes sparkled and she was flooded with a sense of mischievousness. I know he is more articulate than this...

"Yes, it is. I think ye'd look very nice all dressed up like that," said Art, trying not to tease. With a jolt, she remembered that she still had to make her own dress for the ball. If she could wheedle out of him what he'd be wearing, perhaps she'd get them to match a little.

Jareth's eyes flicked to Artemis for a moment as she mentioned the Yule Ball.
"I always look good." Jareth said, straight faced. But around Artemis, he couldn't help but crack a smile.
"And what will yonder lady be wearing?" He asked, smiling at her.
Jareth did not doubt for a second that she'd look fantastic whatever she wore.

"I've never been called a lady," joked Artemis as she imitated the smile he was giving her perfectly. "Mostly it's 'Hey you!' or, 'You little ragamuffin!'". Art was convinced that a long dress would make her look even shorter, so she withdrew her wand and paused for a moment.

"I was thinking something along these lines,"
she said as she drew in the air with the pointed tip. In a shimmering blue line, she drew her wand in the air and scribbled a glittering image that floated in front of their eyes. Before them was a tiny revolving sketch of a dress, midnight blue and sparkling just like the stars still being emitted from her wand.

"But I've yet to confirm." Artemis was a fine dress maker, but this would be her best yet if she was able to make that image come to life. "I'm sure ye've got something fancier in mind for yourself."

Jareth watched as Artemis drew through the air.
The dress looked like it would be perfect for Artemis- Which made Jareth wonder what he was going to wear.. He wanted something good and then perhaps they would be the most fantastic couple there.
Jareth almost choked when he realized he had even thought the word 'couple'.
Come on, he told himself sternly, She's not interested like that.. You're only a first year. She's a third.
Jareth shrugged. "I'll work on something." And now he began to worry.

"Ah well, you'd better get cracking then," said Art with a grin. "Hm...here," she began as she lifted her wand again. She drew a long, delicate line to start with that soon turned into a cloak. The blue melted into black and soon an outfit began to take form. Naturally, she took this opportunity to glance at him every so often as though she was checking to see if it fit. She would never admit to sneaking a peak at his form for more personal reasons.

Black, white and hints of blue were present in the new clothing that swirled and mixed with the edges of the dress still clinging to existence. It had an archaic flair that she new would suit him perfectly, but she erased a few ruffles and laces.

"Maybe I'll make that for 'ye one day," mused Art as she feigned looking at the outfit, when she was really seeing past it over to him. By now, she was wide awake and not a little bit tired for the first time in weeks. Perhaps I ought to hang around down here more often...

Jareth nodded. He agreed that the outfit was very nice.
He wondered how good someone would have to be to make such an outfit.. Perhaps he could make it himself?
Jareth knew he was terrible at that sort of thing.

There was a sudden growing murmur of noise from outside the Great Hall- It was getting late.
Jareth groaned a little, wishing he could spend more time with Artemis but he stood up.
"Next time I see you," he said confidently, "I will have sorted something out for the Ball."
He smiled down at Artemis, ignoring the Ravenclaws who noticed another house student was among them.

((HAPPY NOW?! :lawlz: ))

"Well, don't worry" she replied as she too picked up the noise of the throng interspersing around as they made their way to lessons. "I won't judge you too harshly on your outfit," grinned Art and she slipped off the bench and on to her feet, also. What would people think if they found out she was ... had a ... was talking to a Slytherin boy? She even fumbled over the exact phrasing of their relationship in her mind. It was a good question, despite that. Well, her siblings would sure enough raise an eyebrow or two at her new friend.

It would take a long time to admit that she liked him.

The smile he gave her evoked one instantaneously in her. "You ought to smile more," she told him, the corner of her mouth lifting.

Jareth raised an eyebrow but smiled.
"I'll bare that in mind." he said, winking and turning on his heel to join fellow Slytherins in the dungeon.
He had a lot to think about now.
He needed an outfit, he needed to smile more and he needed to know whether Artemis felt the same way.

Flop. Artemis was already asleep on the table again. Eventually someone would lead her up to the Ravenclaw common room. But this time, she wished it would be someone else. Instead she dreamed of him once more, and smiled into the spilled rice and napkins.

(( No, because now I have to edit my other one now. xD ))

END SCENE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back