Sitting in the window

Athene Perthro

Athene sat in a window in the corridor of the sixth floor with Artemis, her snake, coiled in her lap. Her back was to the ocean, which could be seen out of the window behind her. The wind licked at her white dress shirt - it was a Sunday, so she wasn't wearing her robes.

She sang to Artemis in soft Parseltongue. It was a lullaby that her mother had taught her. The snake sighed, and stretching out its neck, rested its head on her knee. Athene ran a pale finger across its back, and smiled as she half sang, half hummed. This was a floor that not many visited, so she was sure that she wouldn't be disturbed. She closed her eyes, and imagined herself in the air, falling, flying. Free.
<i></i>

Vydráel had been wondering around the castle for hours. Finding only busy ghosts and empty corridors. Wishing for something or someone to talk to, he slowly rounded around another passageway. He heard a strange but beautiful sounding lulliby in a language he couldn't quite grasp, though he didn't mind. Having had a muggle father who was heavily interested in music and culture, he had learned alot from him. Noticing the person singing he politely coughed lightly. "That sounds beautiful." he said with admiration. "I haven't heard the language before"

Startled, Athene opened her eyes and gasped, and nearly fell backwards out of the window. Her knuckles white on the stone frame, she glared at the first year. She didn't recognize him at all.

"Don't startle me like that!" she snapped just as he started to speak. She bit her lip. She wasn't used to being complimented. The only person who had told her that her singing was nice was her mother. Oh, and some Hufflepuff last year, but she usually pretended that that had never happened.

She flushed, and looked down at Artemis, who had been disturbed. 'What was that all about?' Artemis hissed, but Athene didn't reply. She wasn't going to speak the tongue in front of a stranger.

"It's an ancient language," said Athene, before lifting her head a little and looking down at the boy. "Who're you?" she demanded.
<i></i>

Vydráel raised his arm out as if he could somehow catch her if she fell from the perch she had made for herself, without looking too stupid he started scratching the back of his head. "Sorry, i didn't know you wanted to be alone..." Feeling the colour rise up his neck as he felt like he was swept aside. "I'm Vydráel and you are?"

"That's a funny name," said Athene, looking the boy up and down. "I'm Athene Pethro." Athene extended a hand down to him, but she didn't stretch out. He'd have to come closer to shake it. She wasn't going to embarrass herself a second time by falling into the window.

<i></i>

Vydráel walked up to her and took the offered hand. "If it's my mother's idea of a joke, the people laughing don't include me" he replied wryly. "Athene, definitely a fitting name." nodding his head in emphasis

Athene's lips twitched into a smirk. She liked this kid. Cupping Artemis in her hands, she slid down from the window, her skirt hitching slightly at the sides. She put her snake on her shoulders and pressed her clothes down when she was standing firmly on her two feet.

"So, Vrydael - That's a mouthful, isn't it? - Where are you heading?"
<i></i>

Vydráel watched her get off from her perch. The snake fascinated him, it seemed to be talking to her but he couldn't be sure..
"Call me V for short if you want." he told her at her remark.
"Not heading anywhere really. No one to talk to and I felt like a stroll."
He looked out of the opening to the scenery outside.
"I can see why you chose to sit out here." he added, indicating the landscape

"The North Tower is better," said Athene, following his gaze. "It's so high up. You can see everything. Even Obsidian, from one of the windows." She sighed, and leant against the wall, nearly squashing Artemis' tail. The snake snapped at her and hissed, and slid down her shoulder to hide in her breast pocket.

<i></i>

"I've never been anywhere with this great a view." replied Vydráel.
He turned back toward her. "That song.. was it a to your snake?"
He knew he wasn't really asking from his tone.
"I just mean, it sounded so familiar." He quickly added, letting his hair catch in the wind.
He was beginning to enjoy her company, even with her almost disconcerting blue-green gaze.

"Of course it wasn't to my snake." Athene laughed uneasily. "And the school is full of great views, being a castle and all."
<i></i>

Vydráel laughed with her to put her at ease.
"Yeah I know that, but how many castle do you know have a view of a coastline?" He sucked in his breath. "Like art or something."
Vydráel leaned against the wall and looked at her with one of his odd expressions.
"One eye green, one eye blue. From a house of one and a friend born of others." he almost hummed to himself.
"So Athene, what do you consider fun in castle complete with grounds?" he asked as he brushed his hair out of his face again, stealing another look at the view and whistling appreciation.

Athene raised an eyebrow as Vydrael talked, seemingly, to himself, but didn't comment. She opened her mouth to answer his next question, but closed it just as abruptly. What did she do for fun?

"Well... I dunno. Start fights, get into trouble." She smirked. "Fun things," she concluded.
<i></i>

Vydráel stayed where he was and chuckled. "I don't know if I could call that FUN."
He had a flash back from when he had struck back on the bully, beating him within an inch of his life. "Violence be gets violence, when you go down to their level.. It's all over." Why am i saying that? He though to himself.
He turned again. "Why do you enjoy it?"

Athene didn't get a word of his rambling, and so just shrugged. "What else is there to do? Without a little violence, the world is a complete and utter bore."
<i></i>

He smiled and knew what she meant. "Haven't you ever gotten people back from where they can't get you?" He was finding this amusing.
"That way you never get caught."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back