Singing Far Away

Skye Addison

Wand
Bloodwood Wand 15 1/4" Essence of Phoenix Ash
Skye hated her dorm with a passion. Her dorm mates were complete idiots, rude and just plain awful. So this meant that Skye could not play her beloved guitar in her dorm. This meant that she had to find a different place where her music could grow and spread.

Carrying her guitar through the corridors, Skye made eye contact with no one. No one was worth her time at this moment. A whole day had passed and she hadn't had time to play a single note. How she was just inching to strum those wonderful strings.

Climbing the stairs to the North Tower, Skye looked around more than glad to see that no one was there. "Thank God" She said to herself as she made her way over to the window. Most of the students looked to be outside which hopefully meant no interuptions.

Leaning up against the wall, Skye put her guitar in place and randomly strummed a few notes as she thought about what song she wanted to play. Which lyrics covered the day she was having. Finally a song came to her mind as she began to sing as she played right along hitting every note with perfect timing and sound. "your gonna miss this your gonna want this back your gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast these are some good times so take a good look around you may not know it now but your gonna miss this" Skye sang starting with the chorus of the song.

With nothing better to do and no friends to hang out with, Charlie began his search of the grounds. He came to a set of stairs and without any hesitation climbed them. Almost at the top he heard singing and one of his favourite sounds in the world. A guitar. He missed his guitar so much, why had he left it at home?! Why? He didnt even know how to contact his parents to send it over to him.

Finally reaching the top of the stairs, Charlie saw a girl playing, a pretty girl at that, and she could play well too. Charlie didnt want to approach her at first. He hated awkward introductions and generally kept to himself, but standing in the tower alone without saying anything to the girl would result in a more awkward situation. "How long have you been playing?" That was the best he could do, at least now he could be up there without feeling like an idiot.

Skye continued to strum as she was about to go into the main verse of the song when she heard a male's voice. Turning her head looking up instead of at the guitar, she noticed someone that looked about her age. Was he a first year like her? Skye wasn't sure. What she was sure of was that this boy was interupting her music playing. If he is just up here to annoy me I swear to god She thought accepting his first question as at least decent.

"I've been playing for about four years" Skye said shrugging as she ran the calculations through her head. She had gotten her first guitar when she was but seven years old and now as she played in the towers she was eleven so about four years was right. "Do you play?" She asked. Now this question may or may not determine how to get out of this conversation. If the boy knew nothing about Music, Skye doubted he was worth her time at all.

Charlie accepted her answer with a nod and an impressed look and then gave her an incredulous look at her question. "Are you kidding me, its only my life." He admitted, with certain truth. If he didnt have his guitar and his piano he would have nothing, it used to keep him sane when he was locked up in his house. It would also drown out his parents constant bickering.

Charlie wondered what would happen then, should he turn and leave? Or would that be weird? Maybe the girl would want to talk to him, she seemed okay and she liked music which was always a good sign. Man, Charlie was bad at this whole social interation thing.

Skye keep her gaze on the boy finding the company of the boy more enjoyable as he gave an impressed look in her direction. After all this Addison Triplet was always there to impress. A small smile forming on her lips when the boy said that music was his life. "Then you are welcome to stay and talk if you would like" Skye said her tone softening slightly.

"My name's Skye by the way" She said introducing herself. Something she didn't do too often. "Skye Addison" She continued using the lived up to Addison last name hoping that this boy knew something of her family name. If not she would just how to show him how upper class the Addison's were. "And you are?" She asked as she looked down at her guitar giving it a few strums not breaking out her voice quite yet.

Charlie accepted her invitation to stay and talk and walked over to slide down the opposite wall. She then introduced herself and Charlie smiled, something he felt he had been lacking at his time at Hogwarts. Well, if he was being honest, his whole life actually. He hadnt really ever had much to smile about. Maybe Hogwarts would be better for him than he originally thought.

"Charlie." He said, "Charlie Linus." Feeling the need to give his last name as the girl before him had too. "Im..." He stopped trying to think of a word. "New here, First year." He finished, thinking maybe he should have just said first year. "Slytherin." He added, knowing from experience that people payed alot of attention to the 'houses'.

Skye watched as the boy slide down the opposite wall from her. He seems alright Skye thought not exactly this welcoming to everyone. Really Skye was rarely welcoming. "Nice to meet you Charlie" She said not knowing the last name. Was he from the muggle or magical community. Don't ask quite yet. You'll judge She thought smartly not wanting to ruin a possible friendship all because she found out he was not raised with magic.

Though when Charlie said he was new here, Skye let out a small laugh not trying to be mean it just sounded odd in her hears. "Well I'm a first year as well. Slytherin too" She said liking this boy more that he was in her house. "I haven't seen you around. You think we would have bumped into each other in the common room" Skye said changing her strumming patterns to play Face Down. Playing the chorus she stopped and turned her attention back to the boy. "Meet anyone interesting in Slytherin yet?" She wondered seeing that she hadn't really met too many people who were worth her time or that she could even hold a conversation with.

"Nice to meet you too Skye." Charlie nodded and gave her a somewhat suprised look, he would have thought they had met too. Considering they were in the same house and year, but Charlie couldnt remember seeing her anywhere. Maybe it was because he stayed in his own world the majority of the time and he only noticed her because she was playing.

Thinking back to who Charlie had met, it wasnt many people. There were the few older students in the great hall on his birthday, but they hardly counted. "Not really, no one interesting anyway." He said truthfully, "How about you?" He asked. He had told himself he was going to talk to more people, but he wasnt sure he wanted to keep to that rule. Then again, he had just met Skye and she seemed like an okay person to hang out with.

Skye noticed the surprised look that appeared on Charlie's face. Was he surprised that they hadn't meant? Skye was. She would have to make herself more noticed. After all she had to be more noticed than her sister Toni who had made herself very noticed first year, not in the most popular way but still. Though when Charlie said he hadn't meant anyone interesting, Skye let out a small sigh.

"Me either" She said shaking her head. "You think there would be more interesting people in a school full of witches and wizards" she said rolling her eyes as she adjusted the strings of her guitar slowly and carefully before giving a nice little strum to make sure it was perfectly tuned.

"So" Skye said turning the conversation to what she knew best Music. Well fashion came at a close second but she doubted that Charlie would know much about fashion, it was more a girl topic than anything else. "Do you play anything but the guitar" She asked still sort of wishing that he had a list of people that were decent. Now she was going to have to met and greet everyone hoping to find some decent people to form a group of 'friends' with.

Charlie let out a small laugh, "Yeah." He said, although it came out a little sarcastically. He still didnt like the whole idea of witches and wizards, it just didnt make alot of sense to him. He wanted things to be normal, he had wanted that his whole life and could never have it, now he just had more weirdness to shake up everything he had strived for.

Quickly moving onto the subject of music as to not think he was being insulting to Skye he nodded. "Yeah, I play piano as well." He said proudly, he loved music, it was his safety, his life. "Do you?" He asked, curious.

Skye noticed the sarcastic tone of Charlie's simple yeah and shot him a confused look. Sure Skye loved sarcastism. It was one of her favorite things and she used it quite often most often when she was around Madison or Bailey. But the boy's use of sarcasism here made no sense to Skye.

Pushing it out of mind unless of course Charlie was going to explain. "Piano nice" Skye said nodding in approval though shaking her head as the question came in her direction. "No. I've only had guitar and voice lessons" Skye explained. "but I want to learn how to play the drums as well. That way when I do start my band I can play whatever I'm needed for" She said shrugging. Starting a band was one of her goals in life though she knew it may take a few years until anyone took her dream seriously.

Charlie nodded enthusiastically. "Drums would be sweet." He said, he would love to learn the instrument himself, but he never got the chance, his parents would probably have murdered him because of the noise, they only let him play the piano and guitar because it kept him out of their hair. He could also sing pretty decently, although he would never tell Skye that.

"Oh wikid, a band, I'd love to be in a band." He had thought about it before and maybe one day he would live out his childhood dream. "I just want my guitar here, I left it home. Stupid mistake." He finally admitted the thought that had been on his mind sinse he got to this school.

Skye nodded when Charlie agreed that drums would be cool. If only drums weren't so big and hard to take from place to place. With Skye's moving from her summer home to her normal home and now between Hogwarts as well it would be more than hard to take a set of drums around with her. The guitar she could carry the drums would be a hopefuless attempt.

"Well when I recruit people for my band I'll add you to the list" Skye said smiling glad that she had finally come up with someone who had an interest in music. Though when the boy said that he had left his guitar at home Skye's mouth fell open for just a second. "I don't think I can live without mine. I need to play it at least once a day. Which means I'll be up here quite a bit. My roommates are basically anti music" She continued rolling her eyes. How she hated her roommates. They were older and well not like Skye at all.

"Why don't you have your parents send your guitar up here? I bet they wouldn't mind" Skye said thinking that her father would probably send up her guitar if she had ever forgotten it. Though her mother would probably just send a letter back saying how Skye should focus on something other than music.

Charlie nodded with a half-grin when she said she would add him to the list of people for her band. He was finally talking to people, well person, but it was still a good thing. Right? Her suprised look when he said that he had forgotten his guitar was no shock. Any music lover would understand the pure torture of not having your instrument with you.

She asked why he didnt have his parents send it over. He considered explaining how he didnt know a way to contact his parents. He was pretty sure the owls that flew in in the morning were the only means of contacting someone in this place, but even then, it seemed a bit stupid. His parents would probably kill the poor thing before it could deliver his letter if he sent one to them. He finally chose to say to Skye, "Yeah, they might do it." It was the truth he supposed. He couldnt be sure they would send his guitar at all. Maybe if they had the time they would. "If they dont, I could die a severly painful lacking guitar death." He added with a small snort of laughter.

Skye looked down at her guitar once more listening to Charlie speak. She was more thinking about his personality than her guitar though. In a way, she couldn't see him in Slytherin. It was just he seemed to quiet, nice in a way. Yet wasn't Skye being nice at this point? Shrugging mentally out of her thought she brought her eyes packe up to the boy. "I'd let you use my guitar but" She paused her eyes flicking down to her guitar, her baby. "no one but me plays it" she said smiling slightly as she thought about the one time her sister Amanda tried to play it. Boy did Skye get mad.

"There is a music club though" Skye began "I might join up. Might some other people. That is if I have time after these long classes" Skye continued thinking about how the classes weren't really that long just boring as anything. How was she going to survive any class besides Potions was a mystery to her.

Skye leaned forward and played a few chords on the guitar. Her blonde hair following into her face. After a short while she looked up and pushed her hair behind her left ear.

Charlie's eyes went wide when Skye said she would let him use her guitar. "No way, I couldnt even if you wanted me to. I totally understand what its like for your guitar to be sacred." He laughed. No-one. Touched. His guitar. If they did they would be in serious trouble. The only people whom he wouldnt completely go crazy at were his parents, but he had good reason for that.

Charlie perked up when she talked of a music club. "Sounds interesting." He admitted. He might have to sign up, although he did prefer to play alone, maybe he wouldnt. Charlie rolled his eyes. "Classes are stupid." He confessed. He hated them, he didnt even want to think about them, but they made okay conversation for the moment so he said. "Have you got a favourite?"

Charlie watched as Skye began to play again, how he loved that sound. As Skye pushed her hair behind her ear, Charlie had to admit the girl was really quite pretty. He never really payed attention to girls, because, well, they didnt pay attention to him, but he would admit that Skye was pretty and she could play, which instantly put her in Charlie's good books. There werent too many people in those books.

A small happy sigh slipped out of Skye's lips. It was nice that Charlie wouldn't even play the guitar if she had given him permission. That made her feel relieved if anything else. That was one thing she was afraid of doing, leaving her guitar in her dorm. With the idiot dorm mates they probably attempt to play her prized guitar and break it. oh how Skye would murder someone if that did happen.

"Yeah it should be interesting. They might even have extra instruments. Not the same as your own I know. But it's something" She shrugged once more her gaze falling on Charlie than her guitar than once more out the window watching the few people running around probably playing tag. Childish She thought looking back to Charlie. "They are just well annoying for lack of better word" Skye said now talking about classes. "But if I had to pick I'm a fan of potions. I know completely Slytherin like but hey I would love that class even if I wasn't in the house of the snake" Skye explained doubting that she would be in any other house. Skye never wanted to be in any other house just as she doubted she would like any other class.

"Have you got a favorite?" Skye asked as she ran the lyrics of a song through her hand thinking about how she would have to play that song later on.

Charlie considered it. Maybe they did. If he couldnt get his parents to send his guitar over, he might join. If they did, then he supposed he wouldnt. It all depended how things turned out. "True." He said absently, his mind still on his guitar.

Charlie laughed as she described her classes. He definatly agreed. He let a small laugh as she explained that Potions was completely Slytherin of her. Truth be told, he had no idea what the houses meant, so he couldnt be too sure just how 'Slytherin' it was.

He thought to what class might be his favourite. Well you had to like something for it to be a favourite of anything, so he tried to think of the most tolerable. "I actually dont think I have a favourite." He admitted. "If I had to pick, it would probably be Potions too." He explained. It was the most normal subject he had had so far, so it was his most logical choice.

Skye smiled as Charlie laughed. He has a nice laugh She thought absentmindedly not going much more into thought about it after that. It seemed as if he was thinking hard about which class was his favorite. Unlike most people that had to think hard to find their favorite class out of the ones they all loved, she guess like herself, that he was finding the one he hated the least.

She laughed a small bit when he said that he didn't have a favorite. Nodding slightly as he agreed that Potions was his favorite as well. The both of them had more in common than Skye expected. "Friend Material" she said thinking aloud. Though once this slytherin realized she had said that aloud she looked down at her guitar once more her blonde hair falling her her face covering the slight tinge of pink that had appeared on her cheeks. God I am such a dork She thought for the first time in a long time thinking something negative about herself.

Charlie grinned when Skye said friend material and the way she got embarassed for saying so only increased his grin. Instead of leaving her feeling embarassed, Charlie tried to help her out a bit and said, "Yeah, we have quite a bit in common dont we?" He laughed to ease away the awkwardness a little more. It was true though. He had only just met the girl and had already discovered she loved music, thought classes were stupid and she was also a Slytherin, but Charlie still wasnt quite sure what that meant.

It seemed weird, to get along with someone so soon after knowing them. It wasnt what Charlie was used to at all. He moved around alot as a kid so whenever he did make a friend, he usually had to say goodbye, so in the end he just didnt become attatched to people. Maybe that was one good thing about this school. He didnt have to move around. He could stay in school. Maybe Charlie finally had the chance to make close friends.

Skye didn't look up for a few minutes even after he tried to make the situation better. "We do have a lot in common" she said looking up once more luckily her cheeks had gone back to their normal colour. This wasn't that normally happened with Skye. Usually she didn't blush nor did she say dumb things. I claim a blonde moment She thought this time making sure she didn't say it aloud.

Bringing her gaze out the window once more she noticed the sun begin to fade a little more. Time was passing or it was getting colder. Either way, Skye thought about going outside later and hanging around in the gardens that Toni had talked so highly about. "Have you explored the castle and grounds yet?" Skye asked wondering if Charlie had found the gardens as great as Toni had. Do boys even enjoy gardens? Skye wasn't exactly sure.

Charlie looked out the window again when Skye did. "No, not really." He admitted, there was still alot he had yet to see. "Have you?" He asked, with a tilt of his head, his eyes moving back to her. He had hidden away in his room most of the time, he felt pretty confined down there, so he had chosen to come to the tallest point in the castle, which brought him here.

^ Lame :doh: I didnt know what to write.

"I've seen the common room and know the details to a tee" Skye said smiling slightly as her eyes were brought back to the gaze of the boy ahead of her. "Other than the dungeons, common room and quidditch pitch. Oh and here" Skye said listing off places which may have sounded like a lot. But this was a huge school. With such a huge school it was almost nothing listing the places that this Slytherin had searched.

Running her hand through her hair once out of habit if nothing else, Skye almost felt like she had run out of things to say. Sometimes her words just seemed to fail her at times or her mind just didn't exactly have anything intelligent to say.

We covered music, a bit about family, clubs, classes, school itself Skye listed off the things a smile falling on her lips thinking about much she had really talked about. Much more than she had to any other person in this school so far. "Do you do anything but music. Play any sports, ect ect" Skye asked never really using the term 'ect' but this time it seemed to be useful.

Charlie nodded with a small smiled when she listed off the places she had been. Charlie made a mental note to explore a bit more, it would do him so good, instead of staying hauled up in the dorms.

There was a small silence, but it wasnt exactly awkward, Charlie thought of things they could talk about, but he wasnt really good at this. He was suprised he had been able to talk for this long. In the absence of conversation Charlies mind flicked back to his 'muggle' life, the one he had been trying so hard to go back to. Was it worth the effort trying to strive to get to that again. He actually now didnt think it was. Maybe Hogwarts would be so much better for him after all. No parents and people he could see all the time and then after he was done at this school he could get away from his parents and live in the wizarding community where they wouldnt be able to find him. It didnt seem like such an awful plan after all.

He was snapped out of his short musings by Skyes voice. "Erm," He thought for a moment. Did he? He didnt think so. There wasnt much he could do really. He used to play a bit of soccer back in England, did that count? "I guess I used to play soccer." He shrugged, he wasnt great at it when he played, but he supposed he was okay. "How about you?" He asked, to keep the conversation going.

Skye's eyes flicked from the window gaze to the boy that she had been talking to for the longest time. This slytherin was rather proud that she hadn't lashed out at him yet, for that was how the conversation usually ended in. Which was why Skye wasn't the best people person unless the person was like her. Maybe he is more like me She thought once more running her hand through her hair.

"Oh Soccer like Soccer Soccer or American Soccer?" Skye asked hating how people considered them something different here. Well not really here but with all the different people from different places it was hard to keep sports straight. Soccer here was like American football yet Football here was like American Soccer. Really it made no sense at least not to this Slytherin.

Skye looked down at her guitar, she wiped a little bit of dust off of it. Perfect condition, it had to be in perfect condition. "I play quidditch, tennis, and I horse back ride" Skye said knowing that some people didn't think horse back riding was a sport, but she did. With all the jumps and races it should be considered a sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back