Sharing toffee

Gin Bailes

Gin slumped even more than her usual posture in the straight backed wooden seat, her emotionless eyes flickering towards the sky, which was darkening ever so slightly. It looked around nine in the evening, maybe three past or so. She wasn't a hundred percent sure though.

For the third time in her life, she was restless. And it was for the same reason as all previous times - she had no toffee. She had early discovered in her life that without toffee, her reasoning ability dropped by around twenty five to forty percent. And she hated it. She kept fidgeting and squirming inecessantly. Damn if she was acting irrational, when her usual mask was stoic and careful, but without toffee everything was even bleaker.

Fleur took a toffee from the paper bag and ate it. She looked around for somewhere comfortable to sit though it seemed pointless as they were all the same, wooden benches. She looked towards the sky, only just noticing how late it was getting. But she was too tired to go back yet. There weren't many benches close by, and most of them were empty. As distant as she usually seemed from the rest of the world, she didn't feel like sitting on her own. She looked around at the benches that had at least one person sitting on them. But when she looked at the furthest one, she seemed to recognise the person sat there. She chose to get a closer look.

She slouched onto the bench with a sigh, looking up to the sky, gazing at the stars. Fleur looked to the girl sitting next to her, who seemed to be quite distant, just gazing at the moon. Fleur now knew that she definetly knew this girl. It was her acquaintance, Gin, who she knew through father's work.

Although Fleur was sure of who it was, she decided not to talk, as she quite liked the silence around them, as it was easier to concentrate on other things, such as Hogwarts. She was eager to know what house she would be placed in, as many of her friends were also going to Hogwarts. And she began to wonder what school Gin was going to, seeing as they were both half bloods.

For the last three and a half minutes (approximately), Gin had been aware of a presence beside her, and mildly curious, she stole a glance. Fleur Lucinda Midnight, her mind registered. Eleven and three quarters years old, quite reserved at times, inexplicable mood changes. Slightly alike to me but with a slight more positive insight and a much less cowardly front. As much as I know of, she will predominately end up in Ravenclaw or Slytherin if the Sorting Hat was slightly disoriented, but she also carries minor Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tendencies. Not enough to place her in either of those Houses, though.

The silence grew stifling and the silence awkward. Gin turned her head slightly, copper hair falling in front of her hazel eyes, and greeted calmly, "Hello ... Fleur, as I recall?" Her subconscious was hooked by a slight detail, though.

Oh my God, she has toffee.

Fleur turned to look at Gin, her hair covering her green eyes, smiling slightly. "Well, at least you seem to remember me, Gin...isn't it?" Fleur turned back to look out at the sky, as she picked up her bag of toffee and took out a piece. At the corner of her eye, as she was just about to put the sweet in her mouth, Fleur could see that Gin was staring longily at the piece of toffee in her hand. She turned to look at Gin, raising an eyebrow. She then looked away again, trying to remember their last encounter....

Last time we met, after school, I recall that Gin had a bag of toffee, though she was rather reluctant to give me a piece. Despite how selfish Gin acted, I might as well give her a piece.

Fleur threw the piece of toffee in her mouth, as she held the bag out to Gin. "Wanna piece?"

"If you don't mind," Gin replied carefully, taking a toffee from the bag and eating it. "Yes; I'm Gin. My father works alongside yours on the Tasegimo Sakura case."

"Yes, I believe so. My father doesn't talk that much about his work with me, though I don't see why not." Fleur took another piece of toffee and looked at the stars. "Does your father talk about the case with you...or do you find out for yourself, like I have to?"

Swallowing the toffee reluctantly, Gin replied coolly, "He refuses to disclose information even to my mother, so I discovered information myself. I hacked the password for the Police Database a long time ago."

Fleur chuckled slightly and smirked. "When my father refused to tell me anything, I decided to hack the database too. And I had to hack my father's computer to read his emails, which were a lot more eventful."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back