Setting myself some goals

Kiera laughed as Beau quickly jumped subjects of conversation. Not that she minded. She actually was grateful for it. Kiera's expression was amused as Beau asked his next two questions. "You just sign up to join. The sign up will be posted down in the club section." she said answering the first question. Then she shook her head, laughing slightly. "I doubt you can get them to let you do that but you can try if you want." she said with a wink.

"Aw, yeah, it's worth a try, aye?" Beau had never been denied anything he'd asked for, really (well, unless he went about it the wrong way), so he thought if he asked nicely there would be no problem. Just then, Beau's stomach rumbled loudly. "Woah!" he laughed, "Maybe I should go get some lunch," he grinned at Kiera, hoping she wouldn't be offended at the noises coming from his tummy. He thought they were amusing, but his parents always frowned when he didn't pardon himself after them.

Kiera grinned at Beau. She liked his anything can be done attitude. It was much like her sister's everyone is good idea. "I say give it a shot and see what happens." she said encouraging him. She hoped Alex didn't influence this part of the young boy. Kiera's eyes stared incredulously at the boy's stomach. She laughed as he explained what was going on. "You know if your hungry now, I can just summon you food?" she said with a grin on her face.

Beau wasn't really sure what Kiera meant my 'summon' some food. Did she mean she'd call, like, a servant to get him something? The lazy part of him found that particularly appealing. "How do you do that?" he asked, thinking of a burger and chips with heaps of tomato sauce and salt. His mouth began to water, "Man, I'd kill for a burger right now."

Kiera grinned as Beau asked her how she would do that. She pulled out her wand. It was a delicate little thing, just like the owner. Or at least that was the outwards appearance of them both. "A burger huh? I'm not sure if they have those here but we can find out." she said with a wink. Kiera waved her wand and called the house elf. A very useful trick she had learned her second year. The elf appeared with a pop. She asked the elf for a burger before it disappeared with another pop. Within minutes, the elf was back with the burger on a plate. Kiera thanked the elf kindly before handing the burger to Beau. "How was that?" she asked brightly.

Beau loved the fact that Kiera pulled out her wand. Everything about magic excited him. He didn't really understand what she said as she waved her wand, but his eyes almost popped out of his head when a strange little creature with giant ears appeared with a pop. Kiera spoke to it as if it were a person, and it popped away again. Beau couldn't believe what he had just seen. "What... was that?" he asked. "How do you do that? Can you show me? What was that you said? Did that thing understand you? What did you say when you called it? Is that your servant? How do you get one? That was so cool!" Beau pulled his own wand from his back pocket, thankful it hadn't broken when he'd fallen down the stairs and making a mental note (almost immediately forgotten) to be more careful in future. He was on such a buzz he almost didn't notice when the little creature returned with another pop and handed a plate with a burger on it to Kiera. He stared at the plate for a moment before taking it from her. "That was incredible!"

Beau looked around for somewhere to sit, and not seeing anywhere appropriate, just seated himself, cross legged, on the ground. He took the burger from the plate and took a big bite. He was ravenous. "MMmvwow, mthifs ifs mrealy goobv!" He swallowed his first bite and looked up at Kiera. "Thanks Kiera! You want some?"

Kiera laughed at Beau's amazement. "Yes it understood me!" she said still laughing. It quite amused her to be treated as if she did something magnificent. Kiera waited for a moment before she started to answer his questions. She wasn't quite sure she had caught them all this time. Kiera shook her head. "No that isn't my servant, its the school's servant. They are House Elves. They make all the food here and they clean up at night when we are all asleep." she explained. "You will learn more about them in your classes later." she said grinning. "It was just a bit of magic. I can teach you if you like." she said, not minding to teach him at all.

Kiera shook her head at his question. "I'm fine, thank you though." she said brightly. Kiera looked at him and realized he didn't have a drink. Kiera pulled her wand back out. "Accio drinking glass." she said quietly. When the cup arrived, she pointed her wand at it. "Aqugameti!" she said before the glass filled with pure water. She handed it to Beau.

Beau liked the sound of the school having servants. "So that, houself," he began, making the name for the creature he'd just seen into one word, "will do anything for anyone at the school? Cool. I mean, it can't be just that one, how many are there? I wondered where our food came from. Could you really teach me? That would be awesome!" He babbled, then took another huge bite of the delicious burger. It was missing something.

"Beetroot!" he said when he swallowed. "Who makes a burger without beetroot?" Then he almost choked on his next bite as Kiera performed some more spells and a glass appeared and filled itself with water. "Woah! Kiera, this is so cool! Can you teach me this stuff?" Beau couldn't believe how lucky he was to be at this school instead of boring old Tahuna back home, where they'd likely be doing projects on Antarctica for the millionth time or reading another boring book and doing book reports.

Kiera laughed as Beau babbled on about the house elf. She grinned as she listened. "Yes, they will do anything you ask as long as its not breaking the rules." she explained. "I'm not quite sure how many there are around here. There are a good many of them though." she said thoughtfully. Kiera grinned. "Of course I can teach you. Might have to wait until a bit later. You have to learn the basic stuff first." she said.

Kiera crinkled her nose as the boy talked about beetroot being on the burger. Kiera didn't really know what that was but it sounded nasty on a burger. "Who does put beetroot on a burger?" she asked. "I don't even know what that is." she admitted. Kiera smiled as he was in awe of her magic. "You will learn it all eventually." she said with a wink.

Beau was disappointed that Kiera didn't seem willing to teach him any magic tricks ten and there, but the thought was soon gone from his mind. He made a mental note to at least get the spell that summoned the houself from her, though.

"Beetroot? How can you have a burger without beetroot? It's the Kiwi way! I think you call them beets," he offered, "You know, purple and delicious? My dad grows them in our garden. I can't wait to learn all these tricks. How can you just act as if it's not amazing? I swear I'll never get sick of seeing magic!"

Kiera could see the disappointment in Beau's face as she said that he would learn the spells in time. Kiera smiled kindly. Disappointment didn't suit him. "Well I can't teach you the water charm but I will teach you something else that you would be able to do. Would you like that?" she asked him.

Kiera grimaced. Beets on a hamburger? Yuck! "Beets? You put beets on your burger?" she said making a face. "I don't much care for beets." she admitted.

Beau had just taken another bite of the beetroot-less burger when Kiera asked him if he'd like her to teach him something. He looked up excitedly and nodded, mouth too full to talk. When he'd swallowed, he replied, "Yeah, definitely! I wanna learn everything! What should we start with?" His hand was already on his wand, which he'd placed beside him when he sat down to eat.

When Kiera said she didn't like beetroot, Beau just shook his head. "It's sad, really, that someone can live in New Zealand for so long and know nothing about how to make a burger."

Kiera laughed at Beau's enthusiasm. She liked that he was so excited. Kiera pursed her lips thoughtfully about what exactly she should teach him. She twirled her wand as she thought. "Hmm. Have you learned the levitation spell yet?" she asked not remembering what they taught in first year.

Kiera grinned and shook her head. "You forgot something important." she pointed out to him. "I'm from the States. We don't put beets on our burgers over there." she said with an amused expression.

"Levitation? No, that sounds cool though! How do I do it?" There was only a little of the burger left and he shoved it into his mouth before wiping his hands on his jeans. He downed the glass of water and stood up.

"States Schmates, you've been in New Zealand how long now?" he couldn't help but joke, it was just how he was. "I guarantee you'd like it if you tried it."

Kiera grinned as he said he hadn't yet learned levitation. It was fairly simple but impressive to first years, new to magic. "Okay well what you are going to do is take your wand..." she said holding it out in front of her. "and you swish and flick." she said demonstrating the correct wand movement. "While you say, Wingardium Leviosa" Kiera said slowly and clearly.

Kiera pointed her wand out and used the spell she had learned last year. A red rose was conjured out of her wand tip. "We can use this to practice. It won't hurt anything if it falls." Kiera said more to herself. Kiera pointed her wand at the rose. "Wingardium Leviosa." she said. The rose rose into the air. Kiera placed back on the floor and turned to Beau. "Your turn." she told him, grinning.

Beau was practically floating, he was so excited. He watched with eager eyes as Kiera told him what to do. "...take your wand..." "Wand, check..." "...swish and flick" "Swish and flick, like that?" "While you say, Wingardium Leviosa" "Wingardium Leviosa." He mimicked perfectly.

He watched in awe as a rose appeared from the end of Kiera's wand and she treated it as nothing. And then she performed the levitation spell, and the rose floated away from her hand and hovered in the air. She lowered it to the floor and said it was Beau's turn. He couldn't wait. Before Kiera had even finished speaking, Beau had his wand trained on the rose.

"Wingardeem Levosa!" he cried, louder than was necessary. He knew the words were wrong the moment he'd said them and looked up at Kiera for confirmation as he said, more slowly, this time, "Wingardium Leviosa, yeah?" Turning his attention back to the rose on the floor, he loosened his grip on his wand and let the magical instrument calm him. That was what he needed. He might not have any idea what he was doing but the wand did, and the wand wanted to work with him. He looked at the rose a moment longer. Quietly, not wanting to disturb the tranquil feeling his wand had created, he spoke: "Wingardium Leviosa."

The rose picked itself off the floor and floated up about a foot. Beau's eyes widened and he almost jumped up and down. The surge of energy he felt obviously channelled itself through the wand, for the rose suddenly jumped high, towards the ceiling and fell back to the ground. Beau didn't care. He'd done magic! Real magic! He'd felt the same excitement the first time he managed "Lumos" as well, but that was wearing thin now, and he could almost feel the magic travelling from his hand, through the wand to the point of light that he controlled. This felt entirely different - there seemed to be no connection between the flower and himself. It was exhilarating. "Did you see that? Did you see? That was so cool! It actually floated! I got it off the ground! That was amazing! Wow!"

Kiera laughed as Beau managed to do the spell. He was so excited and happy that it rubbed off on Kiera. She had come to the conclusion that Beau was one of the kids that was annoyingly and constantly happy. She liked it. "I did see it!" she said with his same excitement. "That's awesome! You learn fast." she said approvingly. "Try it again." she said with a grin.

Beau tried again. This time, he had difficulty controlling the rose. It moved around like a headless chicken, still only about a foot from the ground. It crashed against his own legs and Kiera's and zipped about, wobbling and constantly threatening to fall back to the ground. Still, Beau enjoyed the sensation of actually doing magic and the fact that it was uncontrolled simply made it more exciting. After a few minutes, Beau let the rose down and realised how exhausted he was. "Woah, it really takes it out of you, doesn't it?" He blinked and shook his head to try and dispel the dizzy feeling her had. "Does it always make you tired?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back