Sending a Letter

Kale Thomas

OOC First Name
Oleg
Kale strolled up to the steps that led up to the owlery, he was already completely out of breath before reaching the very top step. Dash was Kale's spotted owl, who was fast, smart and friendly. Kale hadn't been up to the owlery in quite some time and only hoped that Dash didn't abandon him forever, that would have just been a waste of 35 Galleons.

To his surprise, Dash was just flying toward the tower when he reached the top stair, Kale let out a giant sigh of relief when Dash landed on the ledge and took big gulps of water out of one of the bird troughs. "Hey Dash!" he petted his feathery back and Dash gave Kale an affectionate nibble to the finger. "I'm really sorry I haven't made it up here lately, I've been very busy with school. I'll be taking you home with me during summer vacation though.." Dash starred up at him lazily wondering where his latest owl treat was, and Kale could tell. Kale reached deep into his coat poket and drew out three owl treats. Dash gobbled all three of them up within seconds, he now seemed much more happy that he got what he wanted and now perched himself on Kale's arm. Dash's talons were really sharp and Kale winced at the harsh landing. "I need you to send this to mother as quick as you can, Dash." Kale tied it to his owls boney, feathered leg, "When you get back, I'll have more treats for you, then you can rest your wings for a bit until we get to my house. There's a lot of area for you to fly freely there." Kale's face brightened thinking of home, it was only about a week away before summer vacation and he couldn't wait to see his mother and siblings, plus, Estrella will be staying too. What could go wrong?

At that, Dash let out an understanding hoot and soared into the sunset.

It was a chilly morning at Hogwarts New Zealand, with his hands in his hoodie pockets, Kale walked up the steps that led up to the owlery. It had been a long while since the last time he had sent a contact to his mother, he knew that it would be best if he were to send it and let her know of his plans for winter break. Removing a crumpled up letter from his back pocket as he reached the top step that led to the doorway of the owlery, he darted his eyes around the room looking around for Dash. Kale exhaled deeply when he didn't find his chubby owl perched in his usual spot; chattering his teeth from the cold, his breath was visible in the cold morning air. "Dash?" he called in the stillness, the silence was nearly deafening, when--SQUACK!--Dash ruffled his feathers and flew toward Kale, perching himself on the arm of the rickety desk chair he was standing by. "Hey Dash, I have a letter for you to send."
Dear Ma,
Its been a while, too long. I'm sorry with my delay in responding to you, I've been trying my best to catch up with schoolwork and stay involved in quidditch and everything else; work at Florish and Blott's has been extremely slow these past coulple of weeks, but I still enjoy working there. I'm falling behind in my schoolwork again...I've been trying to make everything up--History of Magic with be the toughest considering all of the essays we're supposed to write. Strangely, I've found a fascination with Herbology, I've been raising a mandrake, his name is Brody, hes pretty cool.

Estrella and I are still together and things are going great. Thats actually the main reason why I am writing to you, other than catching up with how things are going back at home. I will be spending winter break down in the states at  Estrellas uncles in minnesota, they live in a muggle community which is going to be a drastic change for me, but I'm very excited. I really would like to see you before we leave though, I haven't seen Roger, Lee or Morgan in past a year. I'd like to catch up in how things are going for them and also Mindy and Tarren.
I don't want this letter to get too long, so I'll leave it off here.
How have things been for you? I miss you a lot. I got a letter back from Mindy, her writing skills are...interesting, good job with that so far!
Love,
Your Son,
Kale Thomas
Kale sealed his letter in a small envelope labeled, Mother, and wrapped it around the owls boney leg. "Sorry buddy, I forgot the owl treats, but when you get back..I'll give you extra." he said apologetically, Dash shook his head as if giving Kale a 'you're an idiot' look; his owl definitely had a personality. "Please send this to mother and don't leave until you get a reply." he said to his owl, knowing that he would peck her to death just to follow his orders. At that, Kale pet his soft feathers behind his back and let him fly off into the rising sun. With one last look at the morning sky and the fog burning off, he smiled and made his way to the great hall for some breakfast.

Kale entered the owlery a few days later hoping to run into Dash with the latest letter from his mother. At the sight of his white owl perched on the bird trough he smiled and reached into his coat pocket to reveal a treat for Dash. Walking toward him he tossed it toward the owl and he gobbled it up within seconds, Kale pet Dashes soft feathers and smiled down at his owl, he could always count on him to do what he said. As he removed the letter from the owls leg, he tossed him one more treat, "Thanks Dash, I don't think I'll be sending you out again today." the weather was beginning to get more cold and wintery the past couple of days and he didn't want Dash to fly on far trips with weather like that.

Kale ripped the seal off the envelope of and read the letter from his mother.
My Dear Kale,
I was very happy to see Dash bearing a letter from you, its nice to hear from you again. Things here have been a bit slow as of late, Mindy is still learning how to write and shes been asking about you and Estrella at least twice a day, everyday. Tarren is looking forward to attending Hogwarts next year, I'm not quite sure which school is going to send him a letter though.

I am very happy to hear that things with you and Estrella are going well. Its good to hear. I am sad to hear that you won't be staying here for the holiday though, you two should stop by for dinner during the break. I know that your brothers and sisters really would like to see you since it had been a long while since the last time you've all seen eachother at once.

I'm sure that you'll have fun at her uncles home in the states, don't do anything stupid. And do not treat him with the amount of disrespect you gave Tristan, that was very rude. That is in the past now, so I will not hold that against you.
On a lighter note, have you chosen your third year classes yet?
I don't want to make this letter too long, so I'll end it here!
I hope to see you very soon and I miss you dearly.
I love you,
Mother
After scanning it quickly twice he folded it and placed it in his pocket, he walked down the stairs toward the lawn.

It was the week after school had begun when Kale took his first trip up to the owlery since Winter Break. That week was definitely one that he wouldn't forget, he even had a black eye in rememberance of the tough couple of days. It was still a bit puffy and dark below the eye, but the swelling went down a lot since he had arrived back at Hogwarts and no one really seemed to notice it.

Kale stepped into the owlery and looked for Dash immediately, he wanted to send out his letter before Transfiguartion started. "Dash?" he called out and he swooped down from one of the pilars up above. "Please, send this to Ma as soon as you can." Kale pet Dash behind the neck and tied the letter around the owl's leg, "Have a safe flight."

At that Kale headed down the steps and to his class, anticipating himself being tardy on the second week.
Dear Ma,
I thought that I would write to you and apologize how quickly Estrella and I had to leave on the first night back home. Our plans didn't work out how we had hoped and I was really disappointed that I didn't get to spend more time with everyone. My time with the Bennett's was very nice though, Carlisle (the man who picked us up) has two kids and a wife name Margaret, I think you would like her.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I hope you and the others had an enjoyable holiday and I really wish that I could have stayed a bit longer, Estrella too. :)

Please give me an update with anything that goes on with yourself and everyone else. I miss being close. I've gotta get to class, I already think I'm late so I'll end this here.

Love you,
Kale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back