Second Years, Lesson Three

Landon folded his arms as the students filed in and took their seats. He was in a good mood and felt that last lesson was rather enjoyable to watch. He gave a smile to the class, "Good morning guys! How are you all?" He gazed over the class and just kept smiling at them all, even after nothing but a couple of nods from some of the students. "Well, remember the last lesson, you repotted the Mandrake seedlings. It wasn't all too pleasant, was it?" He chuckled softly. "Their cry isn't fatal yet, but it will knock you out for a couple of hours in the seedling stage. As they mature though, they put up more of a fight than what you saw last lesson."

Landon leaned against his desk and continued, "Those Mandrakes right now are in the toddler stage, and will be in the Childhood stage soon. Then, they will acquire more care and attention. But for now, all they need to get through the days is your care." He paused. "They prefer damp soil, shade to sunlight, and occasional food. It may sound easy, but it will take a combination of all three to help them thrive. I would like you all to go and find your mandrake and give them some water. Then, over in the corner are some barrels filled with food pellets. Only a fourth of a scoop twice a day to keep them satisfied." The professor smiled as he watched his students all scurry over to tend to their mandrakes. "Oh, and you'll have to poke the pellets down gently into the compost or they will over stimulate themselves trying to get to the food."

Landon sat at his desk the whole lesson, watching carefully as his students happily fed and watered their mandrakes. When the lesson ended, Landon quickly reminded them about their journals. "Don't forget to keep record of your mandrake. You will name it, talk about the stage they are in, and what you did to help it grow that day. Have a good week guys!"

-----

Assignment: RP the lesson AND write a second diary entry about your mandrake for full marks. Both only have to be a few words.

The third week had come around fairly quickly and Violet had already been assigned so much homework from her professors. She didn’t like this as she didn’t think she was learning very much from it anyway. It annoyed her that the stress was already getting to her when all she wanted to do was enjoy her time at Hogwarts. Sighing a little, the second year packed her backpack full of her belongings and headed to her classes.

Violet made her way to the Herbology greenhouse with her earmuffs in her hand. She greeted her great uncle before taking a seat within the room beside her mandrake. As the professor announced that the mandrakes would put up more of a fight later on, Violet sighed. How on earth was she going to get through it? And how could 12 year olds be trusted with this? As Uncle Landon went on to explain their preferences, Violet made sure to write it all down. She didn't want to disappoint her mandrake at all, especially if its screams were already going to be louder than they were last week. When instructed, Violet collected some mandrake food for her plant and pushed the pellets into the soil as shown. She then gave it some water and placed it in the sunlight. Hopefully it would like her for that. At the end of the lesson, she was quick to head out.

Violet Owens-Rosemary
Ravenclaw Second year
Herbology Lesson #3
Diary Entry #2

So apparently my mandrake is going to be even louder than before. That's exciting.
Today I gave it some food. I also learnt that mandrakes prefer damp soil and shade to sunlight. I moved it into the sun as well today, so I'm hoping that by doing this it will like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back