Saturday's breakfast

Landon Dalton

OOC First Name
Beth
Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Landon sat at the Gryffindor house table, pumpkin juice already poured and spearing bacon on his plate.
He'd decided to have a warm meal for once. He was late to breakfast so it was just that- A warm full english breakfast.
Landon had had a terrible night; He'd gone to bed late and dreamt he was swimming in the lake with Lucy but then she'd disappeared and Landon had looked everywhere and he went below the surface and something black and hairy with gleaming white eyes shot up towards his face. He had awoken with a jumper on his face, his bed covers screwed up around his legs and his face covered with a light cold sweat.

Landon munched his way through breakfast, sipping his pumpkin juice and reading the latest issue of the daily prophet- Alright, it was a bit out of date but he was still interested. Landon practically spat out his pumpkin juice when he read the rumor about the minister of magic.
He dabbed his face lightly with a serviette and looked across the table, feeling eyes upon him.

Artemis made her way over to the Ravenclaw table, desperate for a bite. Sleeping in every morning had her on the go, but today was a weekend, and it was a pleasant morning to be had out of the lawn with a pastry and a glass of pumpkin juice. As she sat, she looked up and down the tables, squinting for a glimpse of her breakfast of choice.
After several minutes of half frantic searching, it was apparent; there was no more toast.
"Bugger!" exclaimed Artemis.
The nearest table to hers was Gryffindor. Hopefully they wouldn't mind her popping over; Gryffindor's weren't all that fretted over Ravenclaw. Perhaps she'd be alright nipping over for a bite.
Artemis totted over on her tiny feet and slide onto the bench as discretely as possible, feet dangled two inches from the floor.
Reaching past Landon, she plucked a piece of toast from the dwindling pile on the plate. Artemis gave him a bit of a nervous grin whilst digging into her piece. Awkwardly, she remarked;
"Lovely day,innit?" Though her mouth was still half-full, her cockney English accent was still apparent.

Landon noticed the Ravenclaw taking toast from the table. Landon didn't mind. Most of the Gryffindors were finished anyhow.
"Yes," Landon chuckled slightly as he heard a muffled cockney accent.
"Please, do sit." There were hardly any Gryffindors around and the ones who were sat far away from Landon.
He patted the empty bit of bench next to him.
Landon looked up towards the enchanted ceiling. It was currently quite a nice day but there were distant clouds.

Taking an enormous swallow, Artemis grinned at him.
"Sorry to mussel in and all...I do 'ope ye don't mind."
Her habit of blushing whenever she met someone new was beginning to annoy her.
Sliding into a seat, her feet dangling two inches from the ground, she smiled again and spoke.
"So, ye a first year? I'm a second year, only people think I've been put up five grades since little-ies school 'cause I'm only a wee thing."
For a 'wee thing' Artemis sure did have an appetite.
Taking another piece of toast, her first finished already, she swung her legs back and forth as she talked.
"Sorry mate, I didn't ask. What's 'ye name?"

"Landon," he replied, "Landon Dalton.. Yes, I am a first year, although, the year is nearly over.." He shrugged slightly, polishing off his bacon and egg.
Landon and this girl were about the same height- Landon possibly being slightly taller.
As he turned to face the girl, he couldn't help but let his eyes roam to the Ravenclaw table for a moment.
But he couldn't see who he was looking for. Oh well, maybe he'd see her later.
"How about you?" Landon asked, his eyes finally resting on the girl beside him, "What's your name?"

Artemis tilted her head to one side before tilting it back as she watched his eyes roam over the Ravenclaw table. Oh well, she thought. Must be lookin' for a friend. That didn't surprise her. Not everyone hasn't made a friend yet, silly girl. Slightly bothered by this, she looked downcast. Being in her second year without a firm group to call home was occasionally a trial. Perking up again as suddenly as she had fallen silent, she nodded and answered.
"Artemis Blackmoore-Yearling. Ye welcome to call me Arty, if ye please."
With a sudden epiphany, Artemis realised that they were about the same height. Thoroughly surprised, she smiled in a delighted sort of way.
"I'm a Ravenclaw. You must be a Gryffindor then, eh? 'Ow's that workin' out for you so far?"
She was always interested in how other people were getting along. She knew well the Hufflepuff's and a few Slytherins, but the Gryffindor House remained a mystery. Surely it could be explained the best through a first year's eyes.

"Well," Landon said, he had assumed Artemis was a Ravenclaw. "It's alright. Most of the students seem friendly enough and I haven't suffered any discrimination yet because of my blood status.." The moment Landon realized what he had said, he felt sick. He hadn't told anyone about him being a Pureblood. Landon was so worried that the moment anyone found out they would think he was stuck up about it.
Landon was not the sort of Pureblood who thought there was something wrong with muggle-borns, in fact, the girl Landon kept looking for was muggle-born.
"I.. Um.. yeah.. It's ok." Landon said knowing she'd probably ask him about his blood status. "Gryffindor is quite a nice house.. I've been a bit lonely though."

Artemis nodded at this.
"Ahh, that's a bit of a shame. Quite a few people I've met feel exactly the same way." She paused as she remembered what he had said but a moment earlier. "Your blood status? What is that?" she asked, as though it was the most natural topic in the world.

Her family's school back in Britain was home to the legendary Harry Potter, who defeated the Dark Lord some twenty years back. Since then, so her father had told her, things had dramatically changed around the UK. The oppression of muggle-borns was a thing of the past, and the blood-status' of the student's were as common as the Houses. This was familiar to Artemis, but she did not know if it was the same in Hogwarts New Zealand.

Landon, a little pink in face, shakily said "Pureblood."
He was waiting for Artemis to start shouting at him and hex him or something.
Landon hung his head shamefully. His family, generations ago, had been a proud one. They would boast their blood status and erase any imperfections from their family.
Landon's grandparents had been Death Eaters. This really upset Landon. They had tried to bring up his father the same way but had fortunately failed. Landon's parent were thorough believers in blood status equality. Mrs. Dalton had even written a book about it.

"Really?" said Artemis conversationally. "My mum's a pureblood. My dad's mixed, though."
Unaware that she had said anything of significance, she looked over to Landon in alarm.

"Oh, but 'ye look quite ill! Were the eggs bad? No, of course they weren't, the house elves are excellent..."
Artemis felt quite as though she had caused his distress, although not knowing how.
Laying a hand on his shoulder, she turned herself to him.
"Oh, do tell me what's wrong. 'Ye really look terrible!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back