Rocky Mountain Reflection

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin was busy packing his things up in preparation for the trip back to school. As he zipped up his bag, he flopped down on the edge of his bed and found himself looking at his reflection in a mirror. A warm, late summer breeze rustled the trees outside his window and Bruin found himself thinking about the summer that had just passed.

Bruin had enjoyed his return to muggle life, especially the simple things like spending time with his parents, hiking in the forest with Sophia and Ray, skipping rocks at the lake, and ultimately, getting Sophia to try horseback riding during their final week of vacation. Sharing these things with her had given him a much better appreciation for how lucky he was.

The summer had also given him the opportunity to get to know Sophia better, although she was still like a puzzle that he was trying to figure out without the benefit of having all of the pieces. At times over the summer, she had appeared to be happy and confident and at other times, sad and unsure of herself. He hoped that being away from the magical world had been good for Sophia as well, particularly as he had grown to appreciate her many unique qualities.

Bruin took one final look at himself in the mirror. He had grown a bit over the summer, both physically and emotionally, whether he chose to recognize it or not. He felt the usual sadness that the summer vacation would soon be over, but oddly happy that he would soon be returning to school to see some of his other friends. He wandered down to the living room and heard Sophia packing up some things in the room above, not surprised that she wasn't quite ready to leave yet.

"Hey Sophia, we should get going soon!" he called up to her without any urgency in his voice, more as a way of letting her know that he was ready than trying to rush her.

Sophia was in the guest room, reluctantly packing up her things. It had been a great summer for her, one she was sure never to forget. She had never spent time outside of the magical world until she stepped through the fireplace into the tiny cabin what seemed like ages ago. A smile crept onto her face as she remembered the experience.

With a sigh Sophia sat down on the bed and just let herself think fr a bit. She could tell she had changed in many ways over the summer, such as allowing herself to smile and trusting in Bruin so much. She wondered if the changed would stick once she left this piece of paradise. As this thought came to her, Sophia's smile transformed into a frown. What if the changes did not stick? What if she was only able to be so happy because she was away from everyone but Bruin?

Tears began to well up in Sophia's golden eyes as she thought about all of the wonderful experiences she would be leaving behind, something that would never have happened before this summer.

As Sophia heard Bruin yelling up to her the tears escaped her eyes and slid down her cheeks. She put her hand to her face, wiping the tears away with the sleeve her the sweatshirt she was wearing. Sophia had grown quite comfortable in muggle clothes such as jeans and sweatshirts, not entirely looking forward to stowing them away.

Some minutes later Sophia emerged from the room and began down the stairs with her bag over her shoulder. She made her way down and walked into the living room, a a sad expression on her face despite her best efforts.

"I am ready," she said, not seeming as if she were entirely sure about that statement. Her golden eyes looked up at Bruin, her normally pale face had a hint of a tan about it.

Bruin watched as Sophia descended the stairs, looking a little melancholy. He couldn't be sure, but if he were a gambler he'd bet that she'd been crying a little. "Hey, you all set?" he asked hesitantly. He was unsure as to whether or not he should ask what was bothering her, so instead simply looked at her and said. "It's okay, I always feel a little sad when I leave here as well."

As Bruin was finishing his sentence, the front door opened and Bruin's parents walked in.

Edward looked at his son, wondering how different he would look the next time he returned, wondering how many more summers that he would be returning for that matter and felt an unusual pain inside. He had enjoyed having the boy and Sophia home for the summer and knew that the home would be much quieter after they left. Edward looked at his wife and realized that he would probably need to speak for the both of them.

"Alright you two, time to head back to work. Can't just hang out in the mountains and grow old like the rest of us." he stated. Edward then put his hand on Bruin's shoulder and said a little more gruffly than he had intended. "And no slacking this year young man, I expect improvement from you every year remember."

Bruin looked at his dad as he spoke. "Sure, no problem dad. That's why I always dog it a little at the start of everything. Makes it easier to look like I'm improving." he joked, but deep down the words stinging a little. He wished his dad had some concept of how hard he had worked the past two years, trying to live up to impossibly high expectations and wondering if it was going to be possible for him to improve with the ever increasing demands of school work.

Bruin turned to his mom and his concerns about school were immediately displaced by feelings of sadness, noting her puffy red eyes and the worried look on her face. "Aw mom, don't be sad. I'll come back at Christmas Break this year for sure, I promise." And with that he stepped forward and gave her a big hug, surprised at how much taller than her he had become.

Meg watched through teary eyes as her husband and son spoke, noting Bruin's reaction to his father's words. She was so proud of her boy, always trying his best and doing what he could to please everyone around him, but she was also worried about him. He seemed a little more reserved or stressed on this visit, but she wasn't sure if he had changed or it was just part of the growing up process and tried to put it out of her mind.

She accepted Bruin's hug with open arms, not wanting to let her baby go, again. She held him for as long as she felt she could and then gathered what composure she had remaining and stepped back from him. She looked from Bruin to Sophia and back again "Now, both of you, be good and look out for each other..." she said as she wiped a tear from her cheek. "...and I expect a letter at least once per month from you. Got it? Now, get going before I go and break that fireplace myself." she joked, between sniffles.

Bruin picked up his bag, gave his mom a quick kiss on the cheek, and opened the door. As he stood on the threshold waiting for Sophia, he looked from the warmth of his home behind him towards the little winding path ahead. A narrow, dirt path that led to a run down old cabin with a magical fireplace and an even more magical world beyond.

Sophia thanked Bruin's parents for letting her stay with them. she then picked up her bag walked through the door that Bruin was holding, walking slowly down the path so that Bruin would catch up.

A sad expression plagued Sophia's face as she walked, still reflecting on the summer. She did not like thinking about how things would go at school, fearing what would happen in the coming year.

As they walked down the path together, Bruin wondered if Sophia could voice what she was thinking. "A penny for your thoughts?" he said, realizing a moment too late that it was probably an expression that had absolutely no meaning for her.

Sophia turned to Bruin with a very confused look. "A penny? Never mind, it does not matter. I am simply sad to see the summer gone. I was really enjoying being here." Her expression suddenly turned sheepish and she looked down at the ground as she continued to walk.

Bruin nodded stupidly, following Sophia down the narrow path. Ray trotting along behind him as if it were just another day. Bruin gave him a soft pat on the head, stroking his soft, floppy ears as they walked along. Bruin stopped as they reached the cabin and placed his bags on the ground so that he could take one final look around before departing.

"Well, if it's any consolation, I think you'd be welcome back anytime if you wanted to visit again."

Sophia lifted her head and smiled sadly at Bruin. "Thank you. Although, that is not entirely the problem. I was just so...happy here. I am afraid that when I get back to school that all of that happiness will simply disappear, and I do not want that to happen."

Bruin thought about Sophia's words, wondering if there was anything he could say or do that would help ease Sophia's worries. He looked around, searching for something that might help her, anything that might allow her to take a little bit of happiness with her. Finally, a thought occurred to him and he motioned for her to wait as he ran down the path towards the lake.

He returned a few moments later, slightly out of breath, but with a smile on his face. "Alright, put out your hand." he instructed as he lowered a perfectly smooth stone from the water's edge into her palm.

gratituderock-1.jpg

"I want you to take that stone and keep it with you. If you're ever having a bad day, just close your eyes and put it in the palm of your hand and think about your favourite parts of this summer and know that just like that stone, this place and friends like me will always be there for you."

Sophia frowned a bit as she stopped, wondering what in the world Bruin was making her wait for. When he returned she turned to him with a confused expression and held out her hand as instructed. She looked down at the stone and back to Bruin, hoping his explanation would be a good one.

She listened intently, her golden eyes locked on Bruin's, and she smiled sappily at him, her expression silently saying thank you. Her eyes nearly welled up with tears but she held them back, recalling upon herself the years of practice she had at concealing her emotions.

Suddenly Sophia found herself dropping her bag and bounding to Bruin, wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug. "Thank you,' she said softly, her lips quite close to his ear. "For everything." She quickly let go and stepped back, staring in embarrassment at the ground as her cheeks turned cherry red.

Bruin had hoped that his little gesture would mean something to Sophia, wanting her to know that he had enjoyed hanging out with her and getting to know her better, but in the end was completely stunned by her reaction. When she released him from the hug, he managed a weak response, "You're welcome...um, for everything."

Noticing Sophia's uncharacteristic expression and feeling somewhat embarassed and confused himself, Bruin took the only action that came to mind. Grabbing his bags and attempting to flee from the scene of the crime, trying desperately to avoid thinking about what may have just happened. "Um, I think we better get going...", he said awkwardly, his normal calm and confident nature having apparently entered the fireplace before him and now feeling as though he needed to catch up with it before he did anything stupid.

Sophia frowned at Bruin's reaction, now feeling even worse. I must have done something wrong for Bruin to have acted like that. Pocketing the stone she picked up her bag and continued slowly down the path, making sure to keep at least a few steps behind Bruin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back