Review Time

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin headed up to the library, anxious to get a bit of early review work done so that he wouldn't be too harried when exam time rolled around. Besides, he wanted to free up some time for Quidditch and still intended on beating Estrella in their little side bet about their grades.

Bruin selected a small table in the back corner of the library near some reference books for upper year courses, figuring that traffic in this area would be minimal. He spread out some lecture notes and his writing supplies, cracked his knuckles and got to work.

Sophia entered the Library swiftly, her messenger bag slung over her torso. She stopped and surveyed the tables with her golden eyes and immediately spotted Bruin sitting at her favorite table. Since Bruin had come and left at Halloween, saying he would be right back but never returning, Sophia had not spoken to him, and was not sure she was ready to now. Besides, he obviously prefers to spend time with Gryffindor girls, not Slytherins.

With a small huff Sophia stuck her nose in the air and walked to a table remotely close to Bruin, sitting down with her back to him. She set her messenger bag on the table beside her and began taking out some of her books and notes and such. When Sophia took out one of her books a letter she had forgotten about came out with it, falling on the table before her. Sophia frowned as she looked at it, remembering now that it was a letter from her mother confirming Bruin's theory.

Why did he always have to be so right and so good at everything? It was rather annoying really, especially since he seemed to only care about her at certain times and not at others. Stuffing the letter back into her bag Sophia opened one of her books and began reading, trying to keep Bruin out of her thoughts.

Bruin was in a zone, quickly scanning through his notes and jotting down key points of theory and practical knowledge that he knew would be on the exams. His growing familiarity with the professors at the school was making it easier for him to sort the important from the unimportant. As Bruin cast aside some unimportant notes he glanced up and noticed that Sophia was sitting not far from him and was in the process of retrieving something that had fallen to the ground.

Bruin wondered when Sophia had arrived and why she had chosen to not say hello to him. She couldn't possibly have not noticed him and had apparently decided to sit with her back to him. Bruin began to think about the last time that he had seen Sophia and as far as he could recall it was at the Halloween Feast. They had talked briefly, but she seemed quite content to sit and chat with Ford and Athene. Bruin had enjoyed the more active Gryffindor games and couldn't recall whether he had seen the Slytherins or not when he left. Well that couldn't be the problem, he thought to himself. I guess something else must be bothering her.

Bruin wondered whether she simply wanted to be alone and decided to test his theory. He began to hum as he worked to see if it would spark some sort of reaction from her. He kept the volume at a reasonable level, but certainly audible to his friend.

Sophia sat up straight, moving her gaze from down at her book to forward when she heard humming from behind her. That must be Bruin, she thought, able to recognize the humming as belonging to his voice. Sophia whipped her head around and gave Bruin a quick glare before whipping her head back around, her long black hair whipping around behind her as she huffed and looked back down at her book.

Well, that pretty much confirms it....Sophia was mad alright, Bruin could recognize that hair whip from a mile away now, having been struck by it on several previous occasions. Against his better judgment, he got up and went and sat down across from her.

"Sorry if I disturbed you.", Bruin offered sincerely. "Do you mind if I ask whether anything's bothering you?", he added and then grimaced a little, recognizing that he just had.

Sophia was aware of Bruin's presence across from her but kept her golden eyes glued on her book. They were beginning to glow slightly as the rage was beginning to well up inside her, and she was doing her best to keep herself calm. The last thing Sophia needed was to set something aflame in the Library, the whole place might go up.

When Bruin spoke Sophia moved only her eyes to look at him, keeping her head facing downward for a few moments. She let out an agitated sigh and looked away from a few moments, pondering how to respond. When Sophia turned back to Bruin there was a cold expression on her pale face.

"What's bothering me?" she repeated softly, blinking her slightly glowing golden eyes. "I am a bit surprised you would ask me that, what me being a Slytherin and all. I thought you only talked to Gryffindors girls these days."

Sophia was being extremely frank and straight, something quite odd for her. She stared angrily at Bruin for a few moments before looking back to her book, inwardly cursing herself. Why did I just say that?

"WHAT???" Bruin replied, a little louder than he had intended, a puzzled expression across his face. "I talk...I talk to lots of people.", Bruin added in a softer voice, but still sounding somewhat incredulous. He couldn't help but wonder what Sophia meant about him not talking to Slytherins and why she wouldn't look at him.

"Didn't we just have a good talk a week or two ago?", Bruin asked, thinking back to their chat in the First Floor classroom that had concluded with what Bruin had thought was a hug that strengthened their relationship, not made it worse.

Sophia jumped slightly when Bruin yelled. She looked at him, glaring as he spoke. "We did have a good talk, yes. But it seems you would rather speak with Gryffindors than me. I just wish you would have told me before I made a fool of myself in front of you, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble." Sophia looked down once more, wishing Bruin would just leave so she could keep reading.

"When did you make a fool of yourself in front of me? We've known each other for over three years now and the last thing I'd ever think of you as is a fool.", Bruin said as he stared intently at Sophia. "And last time I checked I'm a Gryffindor Prefect and Quidditch Captain...I kind of have to talk to them, but if you have a problem with that, then why don't you go and talk with Ford and anybody else who will listen if I'm not good enough for you." Bruin wished he hadn't added the last part, but it was too late to take it back and he wasn't going to be treated badly when he hadn't done anything wrong.

Sophia looked up at Bruin, her mouth agape. Why was he saying all of this in the Library of all places? "Not, good enough? Are you serious? If there is anything you are Bruin, it is perfect. You are perfect at everything and it is infuriating!"

Suddenly Sophia noticed that she was standing, having risen to her feet while she was speaking in a rather raised voice at Bruin. Looking around she turned back to Bruin and glared at him as she sat back down, moving her glowing golden eyes to look at the table. Sophia was completely ashamed at herself and furious with Bruin and could think of nothing further to say at that moment.

Bruin watched as Sophia rose up before him and accused him of being perfect, perfectly infuriating apparently, and then return to a seated position across from him. A moment passed and then finally, Bruin spoke. "Well, I'm not perfect at everything. I'm obviously not perfect when it comes to knowing what to say to you...look at me, I come over to try and help and just make you angry. Why does this always happen to us?" he wondered aloud.

Sophia looked up at Bruin, finding it suddenly hard to be angry with him. But then as she realized that he had successfully calmed her down her anger flared right back up. He is perfect at everything.

"I do not know," Sophia said harshly, glaring at Bruin. "You seem to have no problems conversing with anyone else." She crossed her arms over her chest and stared at him with glowing eyes, now angry at both Bruin and herself.

A thought suddenly occurred to Bruin. "That's it. I converse with other people. Talk about classes and Quidditch and joke around and stuff, but with you it's different...with you, I actually talk with you about stuff, important stuff, personal stuff...." Bruin replied, it all making sense to him now why their conversations were more volatile than his other interactions.

A smile crept over Bruin's face as he said jokingly. "So why don't we just cut the crap, we both know you love me, so stop being mad at me and just tell me what's on your mind."

Sophia was beginning to calm down once more, seeing the sense and reason in what Bruin was saying about how they spoke of important, personal things. But then Bruin had to ruin it with his joking and cockiness by saying she loved him.

Immediately Sophia rose from her chair, moving so quickly that is flipped over behind her. "Excuse me? If I feel anything about you right now it is sheer and utter annoyance." Her golden eyes were glowing intensely and Sophia could feel the rage welling in her, filling her up and threatening to escape.

Sophia moved her eyes from Bruin to his chair, which quite suddenly caught on fire beneath him.

Bruin realized that he had made a huge mistake even before Sophia spoke. It wasn't her rising from her chair or the fact that her chair was flipped over in the process, it was the look in her eyes. He had been unfortunate enough to see it once before, the night his mouth had gotten him into trouble with Sophia before and she had lit his robes on fire.

Fortunately for Bruin, his reflexes were pretty good for a big guy and he managed to escape the chair moments before it became engulfed in flames. "What the hell are you doing?, he yelled at Sophia. "I was only joking!", he added as he pulled out his wand only to realize he couldn't for the life of him think of a spell that would help. "Now what are we going to do?", he said in a bit of a panic.

Sophia had been staring at the chair, watching as it was engulfed in flames. The rage was still welling up inside her when Bruin snapped her back to reality. She took her eyes off of the chair and looked at Bruin, but the fire did not go out as it normally did.

"What?! Why is it still burning?!" Sophia's expression turned to one of pure panic and she withdrew her wand, but was also unable to think of a spell. "HELP!" she yelled, hoping a Professor or someone older was nearby.

Bruin stared helplessly at the flames. "This is stupid, they teach us how to set things on fire with Incendio, but don't teach us how to put them out. We're in so much crap for this...", Bruin stated as he began to try and beat the flames with the quidditch robes that he had just pulled from his bag.

Professor Manteia was ensuring that the library had the latest Arithmancy resource that he had ordered when he heard a commotion in a nearby aisle. He rounded the end of the stacks and noticed that what appeared to be a chair was burning intensely and not yielding to the futile attempts of one of the Gryffindor Prefects to put it out.

He quickly withdrew his wand and pointed it at the chair and cast Aguamenti, not caring if he doused the boy or not. A jet of water poured from his wand and quickly extinguished the flames. Professor Manteia turned to the two Prefects with a quizzical look on his face, expecting an explanation in a timely fashion.
<i></i>

Sophia stared with wide eyes as her own Head of House ran over and extinguished the flames. She blinked a few times, trying to keep her expression calm. After a few moments of silence Sophia finally said softly "Professor, I...I can explain." Sophia was hoping he would give her a chance to explain in private and not here in the Library.

Bruin was frantically beating at the flames with little head way when suddenly he felt a stream of water hit him in the side of his face and shoulder. He wheeled around to see where it was coming from and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw that it was Professor Manteia. Bruin stepped back and watched as the flames were put out.

Bruin wasn't sure what to say, but didn't have to worry about that anymore as Sophia spoke up and bravely offered to explain what had happened. Bruin was more than a little curious himself, suspecting that Sophia was the source, but not wishing to make any assumptions. He wiped the water off of his cheek with his hand and then waited, praying that this wouldn't end up costing him house points.

Sophia had been hoping someone else would speak, but silence ensued after she had said she could explain. "I can explain, in private," she added softly. Sophia truly did not want to have to explain herself in front of everyone in the Library. She had not really explained her unique power with anyone aside from Estrella and did not want to go telling everyone now.

Professor Manteia was surprised to hear that Sophia was intent on explaining what had happened, particularly as he had assumed that it was the Gryffindor boy, Bruno or something, that was responsible. "That is fine Miss Stark." he replied, "But first I would like your wands please."

Professor Manteia held out his left hand with every expectation that the two students would soon place their respective wands in his palm.
<i></i>

Bruin had very few possessions that he cared enough about that he wouldn't part with, but his wand had become one of them. When Professor Manteia requested it, he reluctantly pulled in from his right hip pocket and slowly, gently placed it in the professor's hand. Bruin's fingers lingered on the handle for a moment and there was brief moment that he almost felt as though he was about to grab it back before he ultimately withdrew his hand from the wand.

Sophia gave Professor Manteia a nod of compliance and immediately handed her wand to him. She knew that it was best to obey orders from her Head of House, even if it meant giving up her wand. After all, Sophia did not need her wand to start another fire, she simply needed to be angry.

Professor Manteia was pleased to see that the two students were compliant with his request, not all students were in his experience. He withdrew his own wand and pointed it at the boy's wand first, uttering Priori Incantatem as he did so. To his surprise, his incantation revealed that the boy's last spell was some relatively insignificant Charm. He then turned his attention to Sophia's wand and repeated the process, fully expecting that it would reveal her last spell to be Incendio, which strangely it did not.

Professor Manteia returned the wands to the students and successfully masked his confusion. Sensing that his Prefect did not wish to speak about the matter in public, Professor Manteia opted to give her this option. "Very well Miss Stark. I look forward to hearing your explanation in my office. Should your classmate here, join us?" he stated coldly, not generally giving students a choice in such matters and not enjoying the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back