OOC First Name
Kaitlyn
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
It was at the half way point into the year, which Neven Lurken thought that he was doing somewhat well in, though not the top student. He did not expect that since his mother was not the best student, and he did not know about his father. Though, finding out that Maise V-what's her name was his sister was a bit of a shock, and he even asked if his mom would have a paternity test on him, which he was still waiting for the results on. His mother would give him the results as soon as she knew, since he was certain that Christopher Mckay was his father. Even so, he felt that he should at least keep his surname no matter what. Though, he would gladly add Mckay to his middle name. It was odd to think about but he just looked and acted so much like his mother’s husband. It was just weird to think about. While he held a letter in his hands that most likely had the results, he sat down in the courtyard. He placed the letter in his robes pocket, and waited on a faint bit of courage to check. For now, he will think of a way to excuse himself from the upcoming ball. His mom had some dress robes picked out for him, gathering dust in his suitcase. He just had to think of a reason to avoid it at all cost. Things like that were simply annoying.

Sapphire was off in another world today. It wasn't very often that this happened, but every now and again she would find a book that swept her away. It was really a dangerous thing. She never could sit still for very long and she ended up wandering around with her nose in a book. It caused an accident every now and again, but it was unavoidable. Today, Sapphire was engrossed in the pages of 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' by Newt Scamander. It was a bit odd, but ever since Alkander had caught her interest with the subject in first year she'd been enraptured by it.

She hardly noticed until it was too late. The next thing she knew she had tripped over a rock in the courtyard and gone sprawling onto the ground. She blew a lock of raven hair out of her eyes, exasperated. She knew already that she had skinned her knee, at least. She sat up and began looking for her book, not noticing it had slid under the legs of a nearby boy.

Neven could hardly felt anything but nervousness about the letter. He slowly opened it and his brown eyes started to read. He gave a soft sigh when his mom told him the news. Christopher Mckay was indeed his father. He suspected it when he came back into the picture. The two had one night of passion and out came Neven. His half sister, Maise, had another father though. Dylas or something. He had the option to change his name to Mckay or hyphenate it. That was a hard decision. Neven folded the letter and debated on it. Lurken was a good family name. And his mom just had a child with the Mckay and Lurken name. So, he could just add Mckay on as a middle name. While he was thinking, he did not see was a girl trip and fall in front of him. He peered up to see some girl on her belly. She sat up and started to look around. She must have dropped something. "Anyone with a brain could just summon the object you are looking for with Accio," Neven shrugged both of his shoulders toward her, though his tone was a fair bit condescending.

Sapphire was startled by the voice of a boy nearby. She rolled her eyes when he told her to just use magic. Sure, she could admit that she hadn't thought of it, but that wasn't the first thing on her mind. "Using magic for every silly little thing makes you lazy." She replied, not intending to be mean. She continued scanning the courtyard for her book. If she had looked again at the boy she would have seen he had the book under him, but she didn't think to examine him that closely.

Neven shrugged his shoulders, "Fine, do it the more pathetic way and not own your magic." Neven did in a way use magic but it was all practice for him. He needed it since he was a third year after all. He moved his leg back and felt a small obstacle in his way. Neven could not help it. He bent down and peeked at what it was. Was it the thing the girl was looking for? He bent his leg back and gave the object a good kick, aiming for away from him, no matter the direction. He didn't care, as long as it was away from him. He hated things in his way.

Sapphire smiled to herself. This guy was challenging. "Oh, sure it's more of a hassle. But if you're too reliant on your magic, what happens if your wand is taken? Or you're disarmed, or it breaks? The key is to stay well-rounded so you can adapt to any situation and still survive." She told him offhandedly when she saw her book skitter out from under him. It was closer, and even though she knew he didn't do it to be helpful, she was tempted to thank him.

She thought better of it, though, and simply stood with her prize. She could, however, be polite. "I'm Sapphire," She told him, brushing a strand of dark hair behind her ear. "And I think I've seen you before. You're a Slytherin, yeah?" She asked, sticking her free hand in her pocket. She was sufficiently distracted now, and curious about the brash boy across from her.

"Have you never heard of the art of potions? My father literally makes them for all occasions, and rarely uses his wand," Neven countered, and noticed how it sounded natural to call Christopher his father. Neven himself was talented in potions, and never knew why until recently. He smirked a bit, knowing that he managed to win that one. She told him her name, though he didn't recall asking for such a thing. He gave a curt nod about him being a Slytherin. "Neven Lurken." He merely glanced toward the hand, and did not take it. He never shook hands with people, especially if he didn't know if they were mudbloods or not.

Sapphire's eyes lit up at the mention of potions. "Oooh, that sounds interesting. I didn't even think of that. Well played." She sat down next to him, her mind going off like it usually did. "Uncle James said my mum liked to experiment with potions." Sapphire had a bit of a knack for it, maybe she could incorporate it into life? She glanced at the boy next to her. "What does your dad do, run an apothecary or something?" She asked, curious again.

Neven shrugged his shoulders when he managed to win, though inside, he was smirking and gloating with pride. He adored being right, and winning, but what Slytherin didn't? "Don't you know if your own mother experiments with potions? And he kinda does. Mom doesn't really care much for it, since he likes to solve everything with potions. But, she will need them, since she is healing after my sister was born." Neven thought that it was weird, having another sister. He was the only boy and it was killing him.

Sapph shook her head. "Nah, me mum died when I was still a tyke. Dad too. I don't know much 'bout 'em." She thought about what else the boy had said. "Solvin' everything with potions could be complicated too... though it does seem useful. What do you think?" She put her arms behind her, leaning back a bit and looking up at the sky. She couldn't deny that every time she turned around she seemed to be meeting someone new and interesting.

So, this girl was an orphan. That kind of sucked. He shrugged carelessly at the thought, though he could not imagine what it would be like without his mother at least, having just now getting used and knowing his father. "I don't know. I'm only a third year. I don't really care about those things yet." Neven folded the piece of parchment and put it into his robe pocket. "You have your book now, so why are you still talking to me?" Neven inquired, wondering what the hell she saw in him.

Sapphire shrugged at the boys' glib response. Probably just another thing that made her weird. He commented on her book then, and her continued presence. She gave him a wry grin. "Sure, but you're interesting. In a school full of idiots that can be a rare quality." She told him, though she had been running into all sorts of interesting people since she got here. It was still true though, so she didn't intend to take it back.

Neven was taken aback about her response about him being interesting. He recalled over the conversation and could not find a thing that would have made him possibly interesting. Was it his name? No, she would have noticed something. Said something. "Okay, but that doesn't mean that I feel the same way. So far, nothing that I have observed sets you apart except the orphan thing." Neven folded his arms across his chest, raising his eyebrow at his little jab.

Sapphire laughed. "Well, I can't deny that," She told him, swinging her legs. "But how can I know what makes me interesting? If I was to know all the interesting things about myself I wouldn't need to find interesting people to talk to," She returned with a small smile. Neven was definitely quick on his feet. She liked that. It was a while since she had a good battle of the wits with someone. Maybe he could beat her? She'd won out over her brother. Though it hadn't been that hard.

Neven listened to the girl, and noticed that she was rather witty. However, her statement made him think a little bit. What exactly did that mean? He knew that he could be interesting if he bothered to let people on about himself. His grandmother was a cool ghost after all. "When you say that, it either makes you sound like you have no idea who you are, or if you managed to figure that out, that you would be an arrogant piece of moon-calf dung."

Sapphire laughed at the boys' statement. "I think I'll put myself in the middle." She told him. "I know enough that I'm not afraid of my own company." She decided. "But no matter what I may or may not find interesting about myself, that doesn't really mean you'll find it interesting." She told him with a grin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back