Relaxing, Thinking

Elizabeth Malfoy

Elizabeth sat down by the lake. Hogwarts was exhausting work. She had to think- what parts were worth it?

Liz had learned a lot, and met new friends, right?

No she thought, I haven't learned much that I couldn't have learned on my own. And I have yet to find a close friend or two.

She sighed. It was fun to pull that prank on George, and talking to the other students is interesting. Courtney and Stormie are nice- but they have close friends already. Same as everyone else. Talking and laughing together is fun. It just isn't enough. I wonder if things would be different if I was in Slytherin. They're close in their house. Father's told me about that.

Liz was also trying to befriend Bellatrix. Easier thought than done. Liz thought that Bellatrix could use a friend, and so could she. Close friendships take time she thought, but how much time?

She layed back in the grass, and closed her eyes.

The real question is, what do I do now? she sighed, staring into the backs of her eyelids, which seemed to be much farther away than they actually were.

Bruin crept up slowly behind Elizabeth, determined to have a little fun with his fellow Gryffindor...he crawled through the grass until his face was barely inches from hers and then whispered..."Hey Gryff, penny for your thoughts?"

Elizabeth jumped a little, and then opened an eye.

"You wouldn't want to be paid for my thoughts" she replied, with a smile. Not her usual smile though, not the one that she wore everywhere. It didn't spread to her eyes.

"Well that doesn't sound good?", Bruin replied as he sat up... "Is everything okay??? You don't look like your normal chipper self today.". Bruin was feeling a little homesick himself and began to wonder if maybe Elizabeth was feeling down.

Elizabeth looked at him a bit closer. "I suppose I'm a little lonely." she said. "Not really homesick. I guess you could call it 'what-if?' sick. What if I'd been in Slytherin, like the rest of my line? Slytherins stick together. That's what my father told me." she laughed. "Maybe I'd have some close friends that way."

She tried to close the sadness out of her eyes and voice. "Laughing with people is fantastic. I'd never give it up. Sometimes one just needs more than that. I'm not really good at making close friends like that- aside from in snakes."

Bruin thought about her comment for a second and was a little confused, particularly by the snake reference. He didn't really have a good understanding of the dynamics and impact of the whole "house" system, but he thought that he knew a little about friendship.

"So you haven't met anybody that you've really connected with yet, is that it? Because if it is, don't be so hard on yourself...even the best friendships have to start somewhere...give yourself some time, it'll come." He looked at her and smiled, trying to reassure her that things would get better.

Liz smiled at Bruin. "Thanks. I'm working on it." she laughed, and it sounded a little forced. "I suppose it's just that I see everyone else and it looks like they've known eachother for ages." she smiled. "I'm really trying to find a friend in Bellatrix though. She sounds like she needs one, and so do I." she sighed. "I suppose it's going to work out eventually. Waiting for eventually is just... hard."

Bruin tried not too look too shocked when Liz brought up trying to become friends with Bellatrix. He resisted the urge to make one of his typical smart-aleck comments about her and tried to figure out where Liz might be coming from.

"Well, if anyone is going to break down Bellatrix, I'd probably bet on you...". Bruin looked out over the lake for a moment and then asked, "So what do you look for in a friend anyway?"

Liz opened her eyes, and then closed them again. "I don't want to break down Bellatrix. I want to show her both sides and let her make the decision from there." she sighed. "She's only seen the one, and she's seen it her entire life. After that long, it's hard to see another one at the same time."

Elizabeth thought for a moment. What did she look for in a friend? "Well, off the top of my head- Someone who I could talk to about anything, and they wouldn't judge me, as well as vice versa. Someone who I would help, and who would help me. Most importantly, someone to have fun with." she opened her eyes, "Someone who makes smiling a reflex, I suppose."

Bruin smiled, Liz really had it all figured out. She was able to look at another person's situation and give them the benefit of the doubt before judging them, and what she looked for in a friend is what she wanted in return. Before Bruin even knew what was happening he heard himself saying...

"Bellatrix, and anyone else for that matter, would be lucky to call you a friend.", Bruin got up, looked down at Liz and said quietly... "Sorry, if I interrupted your quiet time...". He took a few steps and then turned back, "Oh, and by the way...I think the Sorting Hat got it right.".

As he walked away, Bruin hoped that she didn't think he was rude for stopping their conversation so abruptly, but he was pretty sure that she would understand why he did.

Elizabeth opened one eye and turned to see Bruin leave. She fell back and sighed. "It's alright," she said to herself, "A little interruption in the quiet time gives you that much more to think about."

Now Bruin also thought she belonged in Gryffindor. He and the headmistress both thought that. Liz was still unconvinced that she belonged anywhere.

She layed back, her eyes closed once again, and she let the sun's rays warm her face.

Liz knew she should be flattered by his comments, and partially, she was. "They'd be lucky to call me a friend" she whispered to herself, "because everyone should be lucky to call anyone a friend."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back