Recieving More Than Letters

Toni Addison

Wand
Rowan Wand 15" Essence of Fang of Basilisk
Toni had been pretty much oblivious of the world around her as the days passed. It was simple fact that she barely left the Slytherin common room anymore. Though today was the day after Toni's birthday. Finally she was twelve years old. Feeling no different than she had at the age of eleven Toni left the Slytherin common room taking the slow walk up to the Owlery.

Upon reaching the room Toni covered her eyes just for a moment blocking out the loud sound that was occupying the owlery as all the owls screeched and seemed to be not agreeing with each other. Soon enough the noise died down and Toni noticed a small gray owl with a small package tied onto it's leg. Smiling at the owl which Toni knew quite well was Amanda's new owl Baby. "Hey" Toni said taking off the package carefully and petting the owl on the head.

Without much wait the owl took off seeing that it's business had been completed. This young Slytherin opened the package as she saw a small emerald bracelet that matched perfectly with the necklace that Taylor had given her for Christmas. Placing the bracelet on her wrist she started to read the letter.
Dear Toni,
Sorry this is a day late but it's been busy and Baby wouldn't even leave the house last night. But better late than never. Happy Birthday! Everyone wishes you the same. I hope you had a great time and I can't wait for summer break so we can talk again in person. Our room is so lonely. I hope you like the bracelet. I had to do chores around the house to earn enough money (though dad helped with the extra money as well).
Amanda​

Toni smiled as she read the letter at least Amanda cared. Her other family could care less if Toni had finally turned eleven but it didn't matter. At least Toni would show that it bothered her a slight bit. Folding up the letter, Toni leaned up against the wall looking at her new bracelet.

Sam was still quite a wreck, ever since Jenn left without reason, or none he could see, he hadn't been his usual self. There was dark circles surronding his eyes and his brows were furrowed-most of the time. He always kept the letter in his pocket, it was crinkled and torn at edges by now, but he kept it anyway. Coming to the decision of writing back to her Sam made his way up to the Owlery. This was something he was putting off for quite some time.

He wore a stripy hoody and a pair of skinny jeans and pulling his hood up on the way up the steps it showed his grouchiness. Sam hated the fact that Jenn left without saying a proper goodbye to him or to any of her 'best friends', it was fustrating, shows how much I mean't to her he thought bitterly to himself when he opened the door of the Owlery.

Sam saw someone at the corner of his eye but didn't turn around to see him or her, he wasn't in the mood. He took the letter out from his pocket and re-read it once more, knowing most of it off by heart. He took his writing equipment out of his bag and began to write to her.

Toni heard someone coming up the stairs of the owlery. Rolling her eyes at the thought of company and how really she hadn't come across the best company up in this area. Quickly folding the letter up she held it on her hand not having pockets today to put it in. Though once the figure entered Toni knew that it was Sam right away. Though he didn't seem in the mood.

Toni remained silent for a bit wondering what he was thinking about. Usually Sam was basically considered cheerful but today didn't seem quite up to that standard. "Way to say hello" Toni said finally her voice of coarse teasing slightly as a small smile formed on her face.

Okay...'dear Jenn'...no.. 'Jenn' Sam thought to himself as he tried to think of an opening for the letter, though he was quickly interrupted. Sam recognised that voice instantly. He looked up and was right. It was Toni. A small smile appeared on Sam's face, an unnoticably small smile, but at least it was a smile something he had not done since Jenn had abruptly left.

"Hey stranger.." Sam said quietly in a croggy voice. It was true Sam hadn't seen Toni since his birthday, she seemed to be spending all of her time with Beau and Scorpius and Sam weren't so happy about that. "Long time no see." Sam murmered quietly after a little bit of silence.

Toni couldn't help but notice that her head tilted slightly to the side only the slightest bit as she questioned Sam's voice. "I know" She said when Sam mentioned that it had been awhile. Really Toni had been spenting all her time with Beau or in the Slytherin common room. Leaving her friends out of the loop for awhile made her feel rather bad. She would really have to set time aside. It was just that Toni hated spending time with Jenn and Hoshi. Why can't they just leave the group Toni thought as she ran her fingers through her hair once before turning her attention to Sam.

"So what's up?" Toni asked still trying to figure out why Sam didn't seem exactly himself. Or maybe the problem was Toni. maybe she had spent so much time away from the group that she was missing something rather imporant that she should know about. Probably not She thought thinking that all the drama had been put aside for this year at least.

Whats up? Sam questioned in awe, how could she be so cheerful when- she didn't know.. Sam interrupted his own thoughts when he figured it out. Sam's jaw tightened, he'd have to explain it yet again. "You obviously don't know do you?" Sam said a little forcefully, not that he mean't to but thats just how he spoke to people these days.

Sam sighed heavily before taking out the old wrinkled piece of parchment. He got up and walked over to Toni ; "See for yourself..." Sam muttered handing her the letter.
Dear Sammy,

I’m sorry to say that I have to leave Hogwarts and will not be returning. I am going back to Canada, I’m too homesick and other then you, Scorpius and Hoshi there really isn’t a reason for me to stay. I’ll miss you a lot, you’re my very best friend and my boyfriend. Though now I’m sorry to say that we aren’t anymore, it’s really hard to write this and I’m sorry for everything that I’ve put you through.

Yours truly,
Jenn

While Toni read the letter Sam walked a few steps to the window and he pressed his forehead against gazing onto the lawn but his eyes didn't see anything, he just stared into nothingness.

If it was anyone else who had spoken to Toni in the tone that Sam just had, Toni would have probably had a grand comeback or even might have done a bit more. But it was Sam after all. Maybe he hadn't meant it. "Know what?" Toni wondered keeping her tone at ease. No use getting into a fight the first time she saw one of her best mates in the longest time.

Taking the letter, Toni began to read it over not picking up on the handwriting right off the bat. Yet as she read on it hit her. The letter was from Jenn and she had just said that she was leaving. Jenn was gone. The smile on Toni's face did not fade at first. In reality she was so happy that Jenn was no longer here. Now just Hoshi had to leave and their little group would be so much more perfect.

Yet as Toni looked up at Sam, she noticed how upset he was. It must be killing him Toni thought the happiness that Jenn was leaving being overcome by the sadness and probably anger that Sam was feeling. "I'm sorry Sam" Toni said simply as she walked over to him and handed the letter back. How she wanted to rip it up right there on the spot. Jenn had promised never to hurt Sam and she just had. Toni could kill her for it. But overall Toni thought Sam was better off without that now brunette brat.

Sam took the letter back of Toni, "No your not." He chuckled a little. He knew how happy Toni must have been right now but he didn't dwell on it. He sighed and put the letter back into his pocket. He gazed once more at the lawn were scattered students sat, troubless. After another couple of minutes silence Sam wanted to just unleash everything that was on his mind and since Toni dispised Jenn he was sure she wouldn't mind. "Y'know what just kills me?" Sam asked rethorically spinnig around to face her. "The way she just took off and left...like there was nothing and no one here for her. After all that has happened this year she just leaves without saying a proper goodbye. Just a stupid insignifcent note." Sam said angerily slamming his hands to his sides. "Apparently she wasn't 'happy' here. According to Hoshi's letter. Shows how much I mean't to her.." Sam said stopping himself from ranting further. He shoved his hands roughly into his pockets.

Toni let out a small laugh escape when Sam chuckled just a slight bit. "I am sorry. I mean not that she left" Toni said shaking her head once or twice. "But for what that brat put you through" Toni said not meaning to use the word brat. Well yes that was what Toni called Jenn all the time but still she hadn't meant to say it in front of Sam. It probably wasn't helping.

Listening to the silence that took over the owlery for a moment. Toni didn't know what to say. After all she wasn't great at things like this. Not that she had much experience in this area. The thought that Toni had probably hurt Sam just as much as Jenna had. Maybe her and that brat were more a like than Toni would ever admit aloud. Though Toni was more than glad when Sam began to speak again. Twirling a strand of her hair softly as she listened to Sam basically vent.

As he finished Toni nodded her head once as if to show that she did understand or at least that she had heard what Sam had explained. In that moment, Toni no longer compared herself to Jenna and never would she. Even Toni wasn't that awful to get up and leave without a formal goodbye.

Sighing softly Toni knew she was actually going to have to say something nice or at least try to make Sam feel better about this whole thing. "Sam you are probably the only reason" Toni paused for a second before bringing herself to actually say the name "Jenna stayed around as long as she did. I mean she had been through a lot but you know she liked you. It's probably better for everyone including her." Toni said not knowing if she was helping or hurting the situation but at least she was trying.

"But for what that brat put you through" Usually Sam would tell Toni not to say something like that especially when he was around, but now he shrugged it off, he didn't care anymore. He listened to Toni's attempt to rationalise the situation, she did a pretty good job aswell.

"Maybe your right.." Sam said shuffling his foot on the hard concrete floor of the Owlery. Maybe he was overeacting? Sam watched one of the owls that had just flown in with a package tied to its leg. He then looked back to Toni, "Thanks.." Sam mumbled though it was loud enough for her to hear. Sam didn't feel completely better about the situation, he didn't know when that would happen, but he felt a tiny bit better.

Sam felt the note brushing against his hands in his pockets, he'd love just ot be rid of it. But he knew that that was the only thing he had left of her. Would it be right to just throw it away? Sam gripped its edges but then thought against it, not now. He pulled his hands out of his pockets and put his hood down. "I always thought if this happened I get to say goodbye to her..." Sam said once more, that was the main thing that boiled his blood.

Toni pushed a small strand of her hair behind her left ear as she smiled as she heard that she could possibly be right. Maybe I am not so bad as this whole 'nice' thing after all She thought doubting that she would use this often but still it was nice to know if it needed to be used. "Of coarse I'm right. After all I am rarely if ever wrong" She added letting one small laugh out.

Pulling her skirt down a bit and adjusting her shirt as if it was just second nature. Actually it was. Toni was still overly concerned with keeping her appearance perfect. Even at a time like this. "So write her a letter" Toni added knowing quite well that it wasn't as good as actually saying goodbye but it was better than nothing. "I mean you don't have to lose connection with her all together. Right?" Toni went on though her thoughts couldn't help but swirl knowing that she wasn't lucky enough for Sam to completely forget Jenn. It was a pity in Toni's mind. How things would be so different if Jenna hadn't even been around at all.

Sam gave her a small push when she said she was rarely wrong. He shook his head while laughing a little. He was glad he had gone up to the Owlery today, it was great to see Toni again. "Its not that easy.." Sam said to her when she suggested to write her a letter. "I wouldn't know what to say..." Sam claimed, he wasn't so good at writing letters he had to actually get Jenn's help when he was writing to his parents.

Sam shook his head, "No I don't want to lose connection with her." he said easily. He didn't want to lose connection with her at all, but she probably wouldn't want him nagging at her all the time by writing letters to her.

Toni couldn't help but notice the aura of the owlery seemed to become less tense. It was a good thing too. The conversation had not been the happiest but Toni could clearly understand that. After all Sam was going through a few things. Twisting the newly recieved Emerald bracelet around her wrist Toni almost commented that she would help Sam write letters to Jenna but really Toni, even though Sam was a best friend, she wasn't willing to do that. If it had been writing to anyone else than that would be a possiblity but not Jenna.

"Well maybe Taylor or Knight could help you write letters. They might be good at that type of thing" Toni said shrugging her shoulders slightly as her gaze focused outside on the grounds wondering why she hadn't spent any time outside lately. The sun was finally coming out and Toni was spending more time inside. Her pale skin was showing it as well. Maybe after this whole conversation she would go for a walk by the lakefront. "Even if you don't write letters I bet you can find another way" Toni said not knowing any ways right off the start. A muggle telephone would work if Jenna had a phone and if Sam even knew the number. Other than that Toni wasn't sure. "How is everyone else taking the news?" Toni wondered guessing that everyone knew before her which in a way did bother her.

Sam nodded, "Yeah...I'll ask'em." he said fully understanding were Toni was coming from by her not wanting to help. Sam watched as the sun lit up the Owlery, it had a golden glow about it. "Everyone else..?" Sam said thinking about their reactions. "They took it pretty bad, angry really."he said simply.

Sam leaned up against the cold wall and then another small smile crept on his face, "Happy Birthday..well..yesterday.." Sam said remembering her birthday, he even had a gift for her though he never got around to giving it to her. "I do have a gift." Sam promised, "Though I just didn't get aorund to giving it to you." He hoped this would change the subject, his head hurt from the whole 'Jenna' situation.

Letting out a small sigh, Toni glanced over smiling at Sam. At least he hadn't asked her to help. Of coarse she probably could try if he had, but it was much better that he hadn't even mentioned it. It would be way to difficult. As her gaze turned back out the window, she listened to everyone else's reaction. Hoshi was probably so pissed off. That thought brought an almost winning smile onto Toni's face for a moment before it faded knowing quite well that she didn't want to explain to Sam why she was smiling in the first place.

"Oh thanks" Toni said when Sam remembered that it was her birthday well yesterday was. Really Toni kept that little fact on the downlow not wanting to make a huge deal about it. It was just another birthday, a valentine's day birthday. "And you're right being twelve doesn't feel any different." Toni added almost hoping that being a year older would change something, make things feel slightly different.

As Sam mentioned a gift, Toni shook her head. "You didn't have to get me anything. I don't expect a gift at all" Toni admited truthfully. One reason she hadn't spread the news was because she didn't want anyone to think they needed to get her anything or even people like Hoshi to try to pull something and ruin her day.

"I know...not even a little bit." Twelve didn't feel one tiny bit different then eleven. He didn't even grow a centimetre. Sam hoped that maybe he'd grow over the summer. Summer seemed so far away and Sam already wanted it to come.

He shrugged, "Well its a little late now.." Sam said, "Anyway.. it was your birthday. I had to getcha a gift." He added, he would feel a little bad if he missed one of his best friends birthday.

"So what have you been doing with yourself other than hiding." He asked a little more like himself than he had been for days. Sam wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be such a long time till they saw each other next. He like hanging out with Toni.

Toni shrugging thinking about maybe she wasn't into her year as a twelve year old enough yet. Maybe as the days passed she would feel different or maybe not. Either way Toni would without a doubt find out. Running through her hair once Toni leaned up slightly and comfortably against the wall.

Her eyes glancing out towards the owls that flew about. She almost wished that Baby was still here so that Toni could send a letter right back in Amanda's direction. That would have to be for another day.

"It's a day late. No big deal" Toni said truthfully as her eyes moved from the view of the owls to looking over at Sam. Her thoughts swirled about what she had been doing lately. Really she had been spending time in the common room and of coarse spending time with Beau. "I haven't been hiding at all" Toni said rolling her eyes playfully. "I've just been spending a lot of time in the Slytherin common room" She added not knowing if it was a smart move to go on. Even after some time, Toni felt odd talking about Beau to Sam or even to Knight. It was just odd in her eyes.

"Anything new happen with you?" Toni asked biting her tongue afterward knowing of coarse that the whole thing with Jenna was new but maybe something on a more happy note would be spoken of.

Sam nodded slowly, he knew she had been spending time with Beau. He was annoyed at the fact that she had just forgotten about him and Scorpius. "Well don't be a stranger, 'kay?" That was all he said he didn't want to know about hers and Beau's relationship.

"Not that you don't already know." Sam said simply, really nothing had happened. He had got a bit of a rough time from a couple students about the whole 'Hoshi-being-involved-in-Njords-death' Sam and Scorpius of coarse stuck up for Hoshi. "Oh Toni, I was meaning to ask; me and Taylor were thinking of bringing the group together for a quidditch match? How 'bout it?" Sam wanted the group together once again. Himself and Taylor decided that Toni and Hoshi would probably enjoy the competition between each other.

Toni smiled knowing quite well that Sam seemed always to know where to draw the lines about what to talk about and what to leave unspoken. That was always nice and for that Toni really did owe him a few weeks without happily walking into classes and smiling brightly at Jenna's empty seat.

"I could never be a stranger. Trust me you won't get rid of me that easy" Toni added knowing quite well that Hoshi was the only one that would ever want to get rid of her. Well Hoshi and Jenn but now Jenn wasn't in the picture. But she somehow wondered if anything really on the good side happened in Sam's life. Hopefully things were going to get better for him.

Thinking about the next comment and then thinking about the last time she had played a game of quidditch with Sam. "Well I think I could play a game of quidditch. But be warned I won't go easy on you guys this time" Toni said playfully hoping she could get a few hours of practice before they really had a game with the whole group.

Sam smiled, "Damn it.." He laughed a little, he was joking of coarse. Sam wouldn't want Toni out of his life. She was the first friend he had made here and he wanted to keep her close.

"Yes." He had hoped that Toni would agree on joining them. "Oh you went easy on us did you?" He raised an eyebrow. Sam hoped he'd get to play chaser because him and Toni both knew how bad he was at Keeper. Sam was going to practice hard- though it wouldn't be too difficult he practically lived on the pitch.

Sam was glad that his mood had changed and knowing it would resume its grouchiness the next day he wanted to make the most of this mood for her rarely smiled. He'd write back to Jenn when he returned to the common room, at least then it wouldn't be too nasty.

Toni gave Sam a playful push. "The group wouldn't be the same without me" Toni said hoping that this was true. Was she really even a big part of their group of friends. Maybe. At least she felt a part was it a mutal feeling. As of now Toni didn't want to think about it.

"And of coarse I went easy on you guys. Had to give you two an ego boost" Toni said laughing a bit unable to keep a straight face with her words. Really Sam and Knight had beat her fairly but Toni would not admit that if her life depended on it. She would just have to do better next time. Mostly because now Taylor and Hoshi would be there.

Looking over at the owls that seemed to get restless and fly around the owlery for a few moments. Though Toni didn't say anything or act any differently she really hated when the owls flew around too much. What if one of them flew right into her or worse ruined her outfit with an owl drooping. Shaking her head of the thought Toni went back to the Quidditch match. "So when were we going to do this?" Toni wondered if they had a certain time or if it was going to be a last minute sort of thing.

"No. It wouldn't be the same." Sam said, honesty floating in his blue eyes. Sam would miss Toni crazily if she had left, he had missed her crazily when he hadn't seen her in so long. "Oh right, that was what it was." He smiled cheekily once more. "See I just thought that, that was your best." Sam winked and eventually came around to pushing her back.

"I dunno its not decided.." Sam wanted it to be soon he was really looking forward to this. "Don't worry I'll give you tons of notice so you can practice." He teased though he didn't know why he was teasing her because he was planning on practicing aswell.

A smile spread across Toni's face almost glad that Sam felt the group wouldn't be the same without her. Now Toni was just going to have to make some more time to hang out with her friends. Maybe they really weren't getting the needed time that they deserved.

"Well you thought wrong" Toni said rolling her eyes playfully making a mental note to get a broom and go outside to practice right after this. Even if the game was ages away which wasn't quite sure since Sam hadn't set a date.

Shaking her head slightly as Sam teased her, the smile never seemed to fade. Sure Toni loved more than anything else hanging out with Beau but she did miss hanging out with Sam and Knight and even Taylor. "I think it is you that needs the practice. I mean gosh if you play keeper again I'm afraid you will lose awfully" Toni said laughing a bit. She knew that Sam was a pretty bad keeper and hopefully he realized that too. Of coarse he was probably more than wicked at chaser. Not that a time like this was made for that sort of compliment.

Toni ran her hand through her hair once more patting it down gently afterwards to make sure she had not made it all messy. Habits never seemed to die with her. "I'm trying to think about how the teams are going to work though" Toni said actually trying to pick which side she would like to be one. Toni would rather die than be on the same team as Hoshi but if Toni wasn't on the same team than she might just die due to Hoshi's competative nature. Never had Toni seen Taylor on the quidditch pitch actually playing so Toni couldn't make a decision there. Maybe things would just be the luck of the draw. "It should be interesting any way we put it though" She added

Sam shoved her arm, "Oi!" He laughed loudly, "Ah who am I kidding I sucked at Keeper." He put his face in his hand. Sam used to think he was quite versatile on the pitch but after that day he realised how wrong he was, he was awful at the position of keeper.

Sam smiled a little to himself, he wasn't sure if Toni if had noticed it, seeing Toni run her fingers through her hair and then making sure it wasn't messy was such a 'Toni' thing to do. For as long as he knew Toni she had been doing that. "Don't worry we won't put you on the same team as Hoshi." Taylor and Sam had agreed on that first thing.

"Yeah it should be fun, I'm loking forward to it." he said happily. He looked out the window once more, now he wasn't jealous of the trouble-less students sitting on the lawn like before. He had forgotten about the usual heavy-weighted letter in his pocket and the nagging in the back of his head. It was nice.

Toni let out a little laugh as Sam agreed. At least he didn't get upset with her comment probably loads of others would have. No one was perfect on the quidditch field. Toni wasn't the best at beater, but she could play keeper. Never had she really tried seeker and when the whole group played the game, that most certainly would not be the time to try it out.

A thought hit Toni wondering what really brought Sam up to the owlery. But she didn't want to ask. Maybe he was sending something to Jenna or maybe he was just trying to cool off. Now that the conversation was taking a turn for the better and rather normal turn it had taken, Toni was unsure whether to ask. Save it until another time or just later She thought looking over at Sam glad to see that he was smiling.

"Oh I wasn't worried about that. I mean you'd have to be born yesterday to put us on the same team" Toni said laughing just a bit. Really it had been worrying her how the whole thing was going to work out. Though Hoshi had seemed to control her temper around Toni more and more so hopefully nothing too dramatic would occur in a simple quidditch match.

Following Sam's gaze, Toni looked out the window noticing the students below. It seemed like a nice enough day, maybe she would head down to the pitch or probably more reasonable go for a walk.

(sorry for the lame post I had to write it fast :doh: ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back