Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Brevy
Wand
Curved 13 1/2 Inch Rigid Ivy Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Maisie loved to read. Today, she was curled up in the student lounge with a book about crystals. She always liked learning more about her crystals. She was sitting with her legs over the side of the chair, one foot swaying lightly as her finger traced the words on the page.

Avery was sitting down cross-legged and practicing his tarot readings when he noticed Maisie sitting nearby. He waved at her in hello. It looked like an interesting book.

Maisie caught something out of the corner of her eye and looked up, seeing Avery. She smiled and stood up, moving over to sit next to him. "Hi!" She greeted. "What are you doing?"

Avery shuffled to give Maisie more room to sit. "I'm practicing my tarot readings." He said. Divination was next year, but he'd learned a few things from his mother.

Maisie smiled brightly, looking towards the cards he was using. "Oh! I've read of tarot but I've never seen the cards," She mused, studying the ones she could see. "They look pretty," She offered.

Avery was pleased that the girl seemed to like his cards. "Thank you. The Inner Eye have ones you can design yourself." He said. "I'm not good enough at drawing for that, but my mother had these."

Maisie's eyes raised. "Wait, really? I didn't know that!" She smiled brightly. "Can you show me?" She asked, almost wanting to pick up a card but restraining herself.

Avie nodded his head lightly. "They say it's bad luck to handle someone else's deck." He explained, spreading out some of the cards face up to show her. "I can do a reading for you, if you like."

Maisie leaned in a little bit to look at the cards, smiling brightly. "Oh, that absolutely makes sense." She agreed. Mixing the wrong energies was always just a horrible idea. She shifted in her seat, folding her legs up beneath her. "Oooh, sure! That sounds great!"

Avery shuffled his deck and put three of the cards face down. He flipped one over. "This is your past, and it's represented by the seven of cups. It can mean illusions, which means that your past might be filled with daydreams and thoughts that aren't grounded in reality, or that you've deceived yourself because you want to believe in something that isn't true or real." He explained to her.

Maisie leaned in, watching with absolute rapture as he laid out the cards and started explaining them. She giggled at the first explanation. "That does sound like me," She propped her chin in her hand. "What's the next one say?"

Avery enjoyed the attention he'd captured, and the chance to show off his predictions. He nodded knowingly, validated by her confirmation. The cards never lied. He turned over the next card. "Okay. This one is your present. This is what you need to be doing now. You have a reversed two of swords, which means you need to make decisions with your heart, and not block out any doubts or feelings." He further explained.

Maisie watched with avid interest as he pulled another card, studying it as he set it down. "Oh! Absolutely, I can stand by that," She giggled. "Follow my heart! That is wonderful advice," She smiled brightly, looking up at Avery. "I think its very impressive that you can remember all these card meanings!" She complimented him. "Speaking of following my heart, do you wanna go to the dance with me?" She asked, smiling brightly at him.

Avery smiled lightly at the girl's compliment. "I've had a lot of practice." He explained. He froze in the middle of reaching for the last card, not expecting her to ask him to the dance so out of the blue. "Okay." He agreed. How could he say no? If the cards wanted her to follow her heart, then that was what she was meant to do, so he supposed it meant he was destined to go with her, too. "I'm going to turn over the last one now." He moved on, and flipped the third card. "This is an inverse ace of cups, which represents incompleteness. It means you will feel unfulfilled in your future, and you might never truly be satisfied with what you have."

Maisie smiled brightly. Yay! Going with Avery did sound like a lot of fun. She turned her attention back to the cards. She listened intently, her brow furrowing the more he went on. "What?" She asked, clearly confused. "So... I'm going to be incomplete?" She asked, surprised by the assessment. What could it be talking about? She looked to Avery. "Could we do a reading for you?" She asked, curious what the cards would say about him.

Avery nodded in the affirmative. "It's the most likely outcome." He explained. "You might want to always have more, or do more, no matter how much you have and do." He suggested. He looked back at the cards for a quiet moment when she asked her question. "I've already done readings for myself. I can read specific questions, if you have any to ask." He said. He didn't think he'd get anything different from an overall reading, but she might have thought of something to ask that he hadn't considered yet.​

Maisie nodded, considering his answer and then his next statement. Did she have any questions? She considered it, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. "Well, what questions have you asked?" She asked. "Like, have you asked what you'll do after school? Or how your future looks right now?" She looked to Avery with a smile.

Avery hesitated in thought. "It doesn't work quite that way. I can't ask exactly what I'll do after school. I'd need a crystal ball to divine with for that. I could ask if I'll be happy with what I do after school, or if I'll be good at what I do, or what it might relate to. " He tried to explain. There was no tarot card for "quidditch player" or "ministry employee". "My future changes often with card reading. A lot of people are set in stone and are destined to follow one path, but the future can change simply by knowing it. People who practice divination tend to have their futures change more often than regular people."

Maisie listened intently to what the boy was saying. "Oh, that makes sense!" She scooted a little closer. "Maybe instead, you can show me some of the cards and tell me what they mean?" She asked. Maisie knew her gemstones, but Avery was making Tarot just seem to interesting, she wanted to know more.

Avery smiled lightly when Maisie seemed to understand. It was easier to explain to people who were receptive. He thought about her question for a moment, and shuffled through his deck. "I can try. They all mean a lot of different things. It depends on the context." He said. He picked a card at random and showed it to her. "This is the Strength card. It can mean literal strength, or it can mean strength of character, or a strong personality. It could mean someone is courageous, or charismatic, or self-assured. If you flip it like this..." He explained, turning the card upside down. "It has a reverse meaning. It could mean weakness, or self-doubt. Do you see?" He asked, wanting to make sure she was still following along.​

Maisie watched intently as the boy pulled out a card, listening carefully and noting down what it meant. "Yeah, I see," She nodded eagerly. "That's the strength card, it could mean strength or strong character or personality, and reversed it can mean weakness, right?" She repeated, looking back up to him with a bright smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back