Reading in the park.

Megan Vine

Megan was completely absorbed in her book. Her new dress was covered in grass stains from where she had kept moving as she read and her shoes lay discarded next to her. She was obsessed with finishing this part of the book. Megan was currently reading The complete works of Oscar Wilde and it facinated her. She wasn't used to read this type of book, normally she went for the factual ones but this was amazing. So amazing that she didn't notice someone walk up behind her.

Leslie was walking in the park barefoot as per usual, wearing her normall dark jeans and once white top that is now looking deciedly grey and covered in grass stains from where she had fallen face first into the grass earlier, She had never really been the best at avoiding unseen rocks hidden in the grassy path, looking around for something to do while she had escaped the house, she spotted a girl reading on the ground she started to skip towards her, the girl looked nice enough and about her age, this will do she thought happily perhaps I can make a new friend toaday.

Leslie walked slowly up behind the girl noticing the girls shoes placed carelessly beside her she thought they might have more in common then she had first realised.

Leaning over the girls head she peered at the book, Leslie recognised the passage she was reading almost immediatly but couldnt put a finger on which book it was from, walking round to the side of the girl so she wouldnt startle her when she spoke,

"Hello, mind if I join you?" Leslie smiled sweetly and waited for the girl to respond.

A female voice pulled Megan out of her book fantasy, scaring her at the same time. She squeled and scrambled backwards. Looking up she saw a girl, taller than her but still around her age. "Um, sure." Her voice was very high pitch and quiet, almost inaudible.

Megs tried to calm herself down the usual way, not caring if the girl thought she was strange, with any luck the girl would think that and walk away. "Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class." She immediatly felt calmer.

"ummm... thanks" Leslie said unsure if the girl was just startled by her presence or just plain weird, if it were the latter she was positive they would get along well. She looked at the girl, slightly amused at the tone of her voice when she first spoke to her.

"sorry if I scared you, I'm the same when I get into a book, a marching band followed by an opera singing monkey on stilts could pass infront of me and i wouldn't notice it" she gave a small giggle as the thought of an opera sining monkey travelled through her mind.

"so what book are you reading?" she said trying to make a conversation that the girl might feel comfortable with.

Megs cocked her head to the side. Why would a monkey sing opera on stilts? This girl was obviously a bit strange. "The complete works of Oscar Wilde. Not the type of thing I normally read but it is quite good." Megs was feeling uncomfertable discucing books with this girl. She looked down at the grass and was immediatly reminded of Legs, her snake, back home. "When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food. " She didn't notice she had spoken until she hd finished. Oh well, maybe she will leave me alone.

Leslie smiled at the girl, hoping that if she looked nice then the girl would calm down enough for them to have a decent conversation, " thats interesting " Leslie said honestly in reply to the girls statement about the snakes, the strange behaviour of animals had always fascinated her.
"Im Leslie, if you were wondering" she smiled and tried to think of a subject that would be more successful than the books had been, "so do you have any pets?" trying her luck with animals instead.

"Megan." Megs considered talking to her, she did love animals and this girl didn't seem to want to leave her alone. "A snake and a goldfish. You?" The small girl placed her shoes back on her feet and budged slightly so she was sat on her book. That way she knew she wouldn't forget where it was.

Leslie nodded when the girl gave her name, hopefully she would remeber it if they met again, " None at the moment, im thinking about getting a cat soon, although i'v never really had much luck with animals ", She smiled to herself and angled her face towards the warming rays of the sun again stuck for something to say.
She looked towards the girl her skin instantly missing the intense heat of the sun, hoping that she would say something that they could talk about.

"I don't care for cats much." Megan though she knew to much sometimes and some of that knowlege had caused her to dislike a few animals or sports. She flinched as a cloud moved and showered her in sunlight, she was quite a pale girl as she didn't get ou tmuch and when she did it was rarely sunny.

Leslies arms suddenly gave way and she hit the ground with a thud, she giggled and looked at Megan hoping her making a bit of a fool of herslef would encourage her to feel that she was friendly and wouldn't be mean as she felt many had done before her, she didn't bother to sit back up, just shielding her eyes a little she smiled and let the sun warm her skin fully.

"so any reason you don't like cats?"

Megan looked curiosly at the girl as she fell but made no move to correct herself afterwards. she raised her book over her head, aware that it may look silly but it kept her from being nurnt. "Fleas." For once Megs' voice wasn't quiet and scared, she had been asked a question and could give a factual answer, that seemed to rarely happen around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back