Prefect on Patrol

Andromeda Fiorelli

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
Cherry/Maple Wand 13 1/4" Essence of a Dragon's Heartstring; 10 1/2" 4wood mix - unicorn hair core
Andy yawned, exhausted once again after a fitfull nights sleep. She was determined to beat this, dreaming of Bruin was wonderful but killing her slowly. She had no classes today but she knew she should at least keep on top of prefect duties and her studies. It didn't or shouldn't matter how her personal life was out of control, she should still be professional enough to do her duty. So far she had patrolled the seventh floor corridor before heading down to the sixth. Slowly she walked up and down it, more daydreaming than paying attention to any one or anything. She had her uniform on and her prefects badge shining brightly on her jumper, a reminder to any pranksters that she meant business today.

She gave a smile to one of her favorite pictures, a table ladened with food that was surrounded by several children all laughing as they each grabbed or ate it. They looked happy, very happy. She often wondered why this picture was here compared to the hundreds of others of solitary individuals. All adults and all painful to look at more or less. The children smiled back and the smallest one waved out at her. Andy waved back.
"You don't know how lucky you are" she whispered, a two dimensional life must be infinitely easier than this one.

Galileo looked around and scratched his head. He was officially lost. He knew getting used to a new school would be hard but not this hard. Moving staircases aren't the types of things he's familiar with and it only added to the already difficult task of finding his way around. Having absolutely no idea where he was, he began searching for someone who could help him out. He'd noticed a girl about his age and began to walk towards her. As he approached, he saw that she had stopped and was looking at a painting. He figured she hadn't noticed him because he was about a foot away and she hadn't acknowledged him. He reached out to tap her on the shoulder but then he heard her whisper something to the painting.
"Is talking to paintings a normal thing around here?" He asked.

Andy turned to look at the boy beside her, she recognised him from their classes but had never spoken to him. He was one of the new transfers and goodness knew there were quite a few this year. She merely smiled looking back at the picture before giving a last wave at the children and beginning to walk onwards.

"Sometimes speaking to the paintings is the only way to get a decent conversation around here" she spun on her heel and looked at him shrewdly, "Andromeda Fiorelli and you are?" she held out a hand keeping her tone brisk and authoritive. She knew if she didn't she would start down the other path and right now she was in prefect mode.
The children in the painting giggled and she glanced at them quickly, hiding a grin before turning her attention back to the boy becoming all serious once more.

Galileo glanced at the painting and couldn't help but let out a chuckle. "I'm Galileo Costa. It's nice to meet you Andromeda." He said as he took her hand and shook it. He noticed she had a bright badge on and realized she was a prefect. This probably explained why she sounded a bit uptight. Nevertheless, he was relieved. If anyone could help him find his way around, it was definitely her. "I know it should be a first year who should be asking this question but, what floor am I on?" He was a slightly embarrassed and blushed a little. He rubbed his nose, pretending to have an itch to hide it from her. He had the feeling he was unsuccessful.

Andy managed to relax just a smidgeon, the boys laughter had that effect.
"Nice to meet you Galileo" she heard the Italian accent and smiled, reverting into her second language like it was simply a glove she had discarded.

"You're on the sixth floor and don't worry, many get lost in their first few weeks. It's the stairs, sometimes I still get turned around if I'm not paying attention" she managed to smile at him, "Where do you need to go?"

She was ready to help him, ready to do her good deed for the day she just hoped the demon in her didn't want to come out to play.

Galileo was surprised. Hearing Andromeda speak Italian reminded him of home, his favorite place. He felt something he hadn't really felt since he'd gotten to Hogwarts. He felt comfortable. In a daze, he'd almost forgotten to say something back.

All too eager to speak his language as well he replied, "You speak Italian?!" trying his best to hide his excitement. "This is amazing! I figured there might be people here who did but I never thought I would meet one this quickly! Are you from Italy as well?! What part?!" His excitement managed to get the best of him and he realized he was rambling. He stopped speaking, took a breath and calmly started over.

"Sorry. I tend to ramble when I get a bit excited. Forgive me if I startled you. I'm trying to get back to the Ravenclaw common room. Would it be possible for you to show me the way?"

Andy could only smile at him, the temptation to stand there as if reacting to a little child and literally coo.. "awwww" at him was strong but she fought it well though her smiled bubbled over into laughter as she continued in Italian.
"I am half Italian, my father's family are from Tuscany. My cousin who is a second year is all Italian" she told him going now to stand beside him. There was no harm in taking a day off her crazy flirting schedule to help a fellow countryman out.

"Rambling is good, excitement is great but let's try to contain it shall we?" she smiled as she linked her arm with his, "Come on Galileo I know exactly where you need to go. How are you finding it there? At Ravenclaw? sorry you got lumbered with that house and not Gryffindor"
she was only teasing of course, she had the deepest respect for all houses including Slytherin.

All Galileo could do was smile back. He was worried he had just made a fool of himself to, what seemed to him like, the first person he had something in common with. He was never interested in making friends before but, Andromeda seemed change that. Determined to win back some points with her, he calmed himself. "That's great!" he replied assuming the rest of the conversation would continue in Italian. "My family is from Pisa." he replied with pride. After all, his home was his favorite place to be.

"I'll be sure not to let my excitement get the best of me again." he said with a slightly embarrassed chuckle. "Ravenclaw is nice!" he said a bit defensively. "I haven't really met many people since schools started so it's hard to say. I like it though. It's fairly different from Beauxbatons." He continued waiting for her to show him the way, his arm now linked with hers.

Andy noticed how easy the two conversed in Italian and chided herself for it. How often did she scold Merlina for reverting back to Italian when she was supposed to be speaking English? How would Galileo improve his own if she didn't speak it with him. She smiled once again turning to look at him and speaking now in English.

"I've been to Pisa, it's beautiful there. Well it was when I was six, I haven't been back since" she smiled warmly, giving his arm a gentle squeeze "take no notice of me, if you want to jump somersaults about the corridors in your excitement fire away just don't get caught doing it is all."

They came to the stairs and Andy indicated which way they would have to go.
"You know it's all the way back down the stairs. You took the wrong turning on the very bottom floor" she knew it happened, he wasn't the first student to have gotten lost looking for Ravenclaw which was funny in itself considering they were supposed to be blindingly intelligent.
"Well there's two other fifth years in your house, good friends of mine actually. Zazuka and Brian, after our next class I'll be sure to introduce you to them. There's also another Beauxbaton transfer there that I know about, another friend of mine actually but he's sixth year. Raffael Fox, you'd like him too" she hoped she wasn't overwhelming him with any of this stuff or anything and was still mildly surprised that she hadn't started any flirting with him though looking at their linked arms could be construed as that perhaps.

"You must go back for another visit the next chance you get!" he replied in English as well. He was confused with the sudden shift from Italian to English. He was almost disappointed but it didn't matter much to him. He spoke English fairly well, although he wouldn't argue that it could use some work.

He was pleasantly surprised by his interaction with Andromeda. He had barely noticed their linked arms and even when he did, he wasn't bothered at all. In fact, it made him feel good. He giggled at her joke. "What an unfortunate time to let my excitement get the best of me." he thought to himself.

He listened to her as she explained to him where he had taken a wrong turn trying hard to remember everything so he would not make that mistake again. "I'm still gonna blame the moving staircases." he joked. "I'm usually very good at finding my way around new places."

"Your friends sound nice. I look forward to meeting them." he replied with a smile on his face. He continued, "Raffael Fox? That name sounds familiar but I don't think I've met him yet." He was filled with excitement once more only this time he was able to contain it. If her friends were anything like her, then he was sure he'd like them.

Andy laughed as they began to make their way down the first flight of stairs.
"Everyone usually does" she told him "So they don't have these in Beauxbaton? I don't know anything really about that particular school, I guess I should have asked Raff more questions. Any particular reason you transferred or is that too personal? You can always tell me to shut up and mind my own business".

Being completely serious, Andy knew she didn't mind if he couldn't tell her or didn't want to tell her. It was after all none of her business why he had moved, she was only trying to keep the conversation going, convinced that if she didn't then she would begin her usual flirting procedure and Galileo seemed like such a nice guy, it would be simply a shame to have him get all the wrong impression of their prefects in his first semester.

Galileo chuckled as he followed her down the stairs.
"No, not really, and if they did I never noticed." he laughed.

Galileo's face became a bit more serious at the thought of explaining his situation. He thought about how much he should say or if he should say anything at all. It didn't bother him but he was little worried about how others might see it. He decided it might be a bit too soon and he wasn't ready.
"Let's just say things at Beauxbatons weren't working out for me anymore so it was decided that a change of scenery was best." He shrugged hoping it would be left at that. He just felt there was a time and place to tell that story and it wasn't now.

Trying his best to avoid making the situation awkward, he asked the first thing that popped into his head.
"What about you? What's your story? Tell me more about yourself."
It was the best he could come up with. He figured it would keep the tempo of the conversation going while learning more about Andromeda.
"By the way, you wouldn't mind if I called you Andy would you?"

Andy smiled at him, as they came near to the fifth floor. The ghost of Liza Peggletweb floated by still confused as to whether she should be crying or laughing considering the man who had poisoned her had been the very man who had asked her to marry him moments before she had drank to her own doom. Andy watched her float past and sighed.
"Well you know what they say Galileo, a change is as good as a rest. Hopefully you'll settle in here without too many mishaps" she jumped the last step sliding her hand gently from his but managing to catch hold of his hand instead. Still it didn't feel as if she were flirting with him as growing up spending vacations in Italy she remembered behaving like this with many of the local boys and then she was a consummate tomboy and they had all thought nothing untoward about it.

"Me? You want to know about me? Well I'm a prefect, I'm the co.captain of the Gryffindor quidditch team, I study hard and take my positions in this school very seriously. I like most types of music, I like the color blue and raindrops, I have three half siblings, a brother Luthor and twins Maya and Micah. I am quick to temper so don't get on the wrong side of me, wicked hot on a broom and ... I think if you want to know anything else. Ask specific questions" she laughed turning to face him as they walked across the corridor to the stair well.
"Oh, watch out, moving"

A shiver went down Galileo's spine. It didn't matter how many he saw, ghosts always managed to freak him out.

"I hope so too." he added. He looked down at his hand, which now had hers in it, and grinned. Galileo didn't think much of it but was reminded he hadn't had that kind of interaction with a girl in a while. He has had a girlfriend or two in the past but he's never taken the whole relationship thing seriously. After all, he was still fairly young. He put it all in the back of his mind and followed.

"Quidditch co.captain huh? That's pretty cool. I'm not gonna to lie, I'm not too bad on a broom myself." he said trying not to brag too much.
"If you're lucky, you might get to see my moves." he joked. He was caught a bit off guard as she turned to face him that he almost bumped into her standing only a few inches from her.
"Sorry," he said. "You have a pretty good eye for that."

Andy chuckled as they almost collided with one another and for reasons best known only to the nymphs that probably possessed her free spirit, she winked at him.
"Was that one of your moves Galileo?" again she chuckled before turning back to face the stairs, muttering a little song in her head to pass the time. It was her own way of counting down the minutes it took the infernal staircase to swing back in their direction. Just as it was about to click back into place infront of them she looked at him.

"Fancy going out flying sometime then? I mean if you're as good as you're making out it'd be nice to be put through my paces" she jumped lightly down onto the step and waited for him to follow her. If anyone were to see them simply behaving like two who had known each other a while, holding hands and chatting very amicably they were probably bound to get the wrong idea of course but Andy couldn't give a fig leaf what people thought about her.

Galileo smiled at her wondering what had just happened.
"If only I were that smooth." he laughed. He stood next to her as they waited for the stairs to move back into place with a grin on his face and his cheeks a little red.

"Sure! I might be able to show you a thing or two." he replied feeling somewhat confident now. "There's only one problem, I don't have a broom." he admitted as she led the way to their destination, a smile still on his face.

"You're Italian Galileo, you were born smooth, don't you go letting our side down now" she chuckled lightly as they continued their descent.

"That's ok the school has plenty in storage that the first years use to train on. Mediocre at best but if you're any good the broom type shouldn't matter" she grinned as if she had just thrown down the gauntlet and waited now for him to take the bait, usually she'd have offered up her own broom for the occasion but wanted to see how he would react to flying on a basic broom first.

"You're right! What was I thinking?" he replied sarcastically as he followed her.

"Sounds a lot like a challenge to me!" he laughed. "Well, I guess I don't have an excuse now." Galileo was a tiny bit nervous. He didn't lie when he said he was skilled at quidditch but he had not been on a broom in quite some time. He shrugged it off and reassured himself that he could do it.

Andy finally released his hand as she started taking the steps two at a time before jumping down the last two to the fourth floor corridor.
"Anything looking familiar yet?" she asked him leaning on the banister to wait for him to reach her, "And of course it was a challenge. I'm a Gryffindor you're lucky I didn't throw some kind of challenge at you way back on my house floor".

She smiled turning as a few third years passed and saluted a few of them. It was always funny the reaction a prefect got about the hallways, though she often wished they wouldn't quite treat her so differently.

Galileo watched her descend the stairs in front of him. He looked around and found that the place did look a bit familiar.
"I think I'll be able to find my way from here." he said. It saddened him to think that their interaction had to come to an end but he did have a challenge to look forward too.
"And as for your challenge, I think I can handle anything you throw at me." he chuckled.

He watched the third years as they walked past before saying goodbye.
"It was nice meeting you Andy! Is it okay if I call you that? I don't think you answered before."

Andy smiled nodding her head, it had been very tempting to throw herself at him for a brief moment when he had said he could handle anything she threw at him, but she had a bunch of younger students walking around and leaned on the side of caution just in case.

"Course you can call me Andy, everyone else does. Sorry I have to run but somewhere about this school is the smell of first years and even some third years" she glanced their way, "getting up to serious mischief and it would be remiss of me not to do something about it... like join in".

Andromeda laughed as she took a step away then turned back to him once more.
"It was nice meeting you Galileo, see you in class and more importantly on the pitch. Just keep following the stairs downwards until you get to the entrance hall then take a left and straight on till dawn" she winked, turning as a scream and a loud bang echoed up the corridor. Taking out her wand she shook her head.
"My work is never done" with a wave goodbye she headed down the corridor to enforce the rules on the miscreants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back