Pondering

Chris Davis

As Chris floated into the library, something entered his mind. He had, of course, been dead a long time, but he forgot about some stuff every now and then. He remembered that he can't read as a ghost. He couldn't hold books. It had been no favorite hobby of his when he was alive, but he fancied reading when it was a book that he liked very much. He sighed and went through the library, looking around.

Violet wandered around the library, in a bit of a stupour. She was having some time out from study (as usual), and looking at the sort of books she'd be reading the next year. For she was taking 4 out of the 5 electives in her third year, and she was intrigued by all of them.
She tripped over a book that was lying on the ground, cursing to herself. Who could leave a book lying around like that. She looked up to see if anybody saw her, and saw a ghost she hadn't seen before. "Oh, sorry," she muttered, blushing profusely, standing up abruptly and straightening out her uniform.

Chris was still just floating around. He looked at all the different books, reading the titles that he could see on the spines. Then a girl tripped not far from him. He looked down at her and waited till she stood up. "Why say sorry to me, you didn't do anything. I'm the one that's sorry. I wasn't able to help you up. I would have, but it wouldn't have been much use..." He looked at his transperant arms and hands.

"Oh," she began, embarassed. "Um, sorry, I mean, it's just a force of habit," she muttered, looking at her feet, still blushing. "I don't think I've seen you in here before," she added, changing the topic quickly. "I ought to know, I'm in here most of the time," she laughed. "I'm Violet," she said, introducing herself. She was about to hold her hand out for him to shake, but quickly stopped herself when she realised the ghost might take offence with her gesture. Instead, she just offered a sweet yet slightly self-conscious smile.

"There you go saying sorry again. You haven't done a thing, don't be sorry." Chris smiled and continued, "I'm Chris. Chris Davis. Nice to meet you, Violet. So do you enjoy reading? I used to every now and then, but I can't hold books anymore, they go right through me." He laughed and looked at the girl waiting for a response.

"I'm sor-" she began, and then realised what she was going to say. "Dearie me. I told you it was a force of habit!" she exclaimed, with a slightly more relaxed laugh. "Pleasure to meet you Chris." She gave the ghost a more genuine smile. "I adore reading. It's ruining my eyes so I'm certain I'll need glasses sooner or later. But oh well. It must be horrible not being able to hold books," she said, sympathetically.

"Well, if you're going to have a habit, I suppose it's better to have one of saying 'sorry' too much. I mean, think of all the other possible habits you could have. Anyways, it is quite depressing and all. Like I said, I enjoyed reading somewhat. But let's change the subject, I don't want you feeling sorry for me. So what house are you in Miss Violet?" Chris smiled again, something he did often.

About to apologise again, Violet bit her tongue. She was grateful for the subject change. "I'm in Hufflepuff house. Second year." She smiled gently. "Always thought I'd be a Ravenclaw but I guess I was wrong. My brother is a Slytherin though, and he's a lot like me." She shrugged. "And my mum was a Gryffindor," she added with a laugh. Her family didn't seem to have patterns with what houses they were put in to.

Chris listened to the girl tell what house she was in, as well as her mum and brother. "Interesting. Very much so, in fact. Anyways, how old is your brother?"

Violet played with her ponytail - a sign that she was slightly embarassed due to the way she was rambling. "Um, my little brother's 12. He's in his 1st year." She hadn't seen much of Angus lately. He hadn't been very well at all, and she wasn't sure if he was going to be well by the exams. She moved her hand from her hair and twiddled her pendant instead, a sign of worry.

"And what house is he in?" Chris asked curiously. That was something else about him, he could be quite curious sometimes. "And what year would you be in, if you don't mind my asking? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. If I am, just tell me."

"Slytherin," Violet stated with a shrug, as if to say I'm not completely sure why. "I'm a second year, although if I'd been born a few days earlier I'd be in my 3rd year by now," she added, rambling again. "And, no, I don't mind you asking questions. Um, I hope you don't mind me asking, but were you in a Hogwarts house?" she asked tentatively, really hoping he wouldn't be offended by her question.

Chris listened to the girl answer his questions. Then she asked him a question. "No, I don't mind it at all Miss Violet. I was not in a Hogwarts House. I died in this building ages before it became a school for young witches and wizards."

Violet's face fell. "I'm sorry. I had no idea," she said, softly, forgetting the fact that she was apologising again. "Forgive me for prying, but what was the building before it became a school?" she asked, intrigued.

Chris didn't point out the fact that she had apoligized yet again. It was definitely a habit, so there was no use in saying something about it every time she did it. So he just answered her question. "It's been many different things. Of course, it has always been a great castle. It has been a home to various people. I don't know much of what it was before I entered it for the first time."

"Ah, I see," Violet said quietly, intrigued. As a bit of a history fan (although her last History of Magic results weren't necessecarily brilliant), she was interested to know more of the history of the school. "Fair enough," she added. There was more she wanted to ask, but she felt it would be too intrusive and perhaps offensive, so she stayed quiet, keeping a pensive look on her face.

Chris looked at Violet and smiled. There was silence for a few seconds before he decided to break it. "So Miss Violet, is there anything else you wish to ask me? I might be able to give you an answer." He floated there, waiting for a response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back