Please.

Hariah Meadow

OOC First Name
Lauren
Wand
Beech Wand 14 1/4 Essence of Pixie Hair
Exams were upon the first years and everyone in the Gryffindor common room was working and revising what they had learnt. Hariah couldn't do it with everyone else there, she couldn't concentrate. She had people one side of her talking about Charms and people the other side of her talking about Herbology when she was trying to revise Potions. It was hopeless, also because she felt Potions was her weakest subject and she felt she was fighting a losing battle. Abandoning hope she walked out of the stuffy common room to clear her mind, ready to start again. Although this time it had to be somewhere else and preferably with someone who knew what they were doing. Hariah racked her brains for who was the most able at Potions, she needed their help if she wanted to pass the subject. She bit her lip, she realised it was Benjamin. Hariah hadn't really spoke to Benjamin properly before, only briefly in their first meeting in the student lounge and he seemed a bit unapproachable. Nevertheless, she needed his help. So instead of actually asking him she decided on writing him a note, asking him whether he would be willing to help her.
Note said:
Benjamin,
Hey, it's Hariah. So i've just been revising and i've come across something I don't understand. Potions. All of it. I wondered if you could help me I know that your the best in our class and if I have any chance of passing Potions this year i'll need some first class help. Would you be willing to help me? Of course I understand if you cant, it's a bit short notice. But let me know, thanks.

Making sure it sounded right, Hariah took it up to the Owlery and picked out a small brown bird, she didn't need a large one, it was only going somewhere in Hogwarts, wherever Benjamin was. She wondered whether he would be in the Slytherin common room or perhaps somewhere exploring or with someone else. Hariah decided to wait up in the Owlery for his response, she couldn't go back into the common room.

For some reason, Benjamin Chase was just there in the Hogwarts Garden eating some green apple he got from the Great Hall. His mind needed to relax for the upcoming exams. His apple was almost finished anyway and so he took another bite of it, licking the sweet juices that was on his lips. Benjamin was just sitting there, his back leaning on a tree and his legs stretched to its full length. He had an apple on his left hand and his right hand was there on his bag. A few moments ago, the Slytherin needed to attend Charms class. All the contents were still there thankfully and he did not intend to go back to the Slytherin common room until he finished the fruit in his hand. The fruit tasted lovely and he planned to eat it slowly just so he can also concentrate on what he can do with the preparation for the exams. It took him almost fifteen minutes just analyzing, 'What can I actually do to study properly?' His brain was swirling with ideas, but none of them seemed good enough for him. He shook his head with impatience because of his progress. The boy eyed the apple he had on his left hand and licked his lips. He was hungry anyways. Ben brought it closer to his lips and just when it was one inch before his lips, a small brown owl nipped his right hand painfully.

"Stupid bird." The boy hissed in pain as he spontaneously dropped his apple, forgetting about it. He rubbed his that small part on his hand where the bird's mark was which was a small fine line on it. It was burning and Benjamin eyed the bird once more. It dawned him that there was actually a letter for him. Benjamin sensed that the owl was impatient with waiting for him to notice the owl's presence. He got the letter and quickly opened it, still hissing at the pain the owl brought him. His emerald eyes scanned the whole letter, from top to bottom. Hariah Meadow was obviously asking for help, and he smirked. The boy got some parchment and his quill and began to right on the grass. It was uncomfortable, but at least he'd be able to reply quickly.

Benjamin's letter said:
You know what, it's a good thing I have parchment here to right back to you.

Hariah, thank you and everything but I doubt I am good at Potions. I'm still learning it and there's still nothing to judge about me. You're contacting the wrong person, I believe. Maybe Hawk would teach you better.

Anyways, next time send me a good owl. Stupid owl nipped my hand hard.

-BC

Smirking, he gave the rude owl a cold stare and trusted that his letter would be sent back to Hariah. He believed that teaching a Gryffindor would turn out bad and he decided to stick to that belief anyways. He watched as the owl flew away and remained at his spot, staring of into space once more thinking about his first meeting with Hariah Meadow.

Owls hooted continuously and gusts of wind blew in through the small windows in the Owlery keeping it a constant cool temperature. Occasionally Owls came through the windows to settle back down after a delivery. Hariah sat on a ledge and watched the clouds roll by while waiting for Benjamin's reply. She thought about her dad, and how he was at home, it had been a couple of months away from him now and it was a very strange feeling. She really missed him and wished she could see him soon, it had been a couple of weeks since his last letter and being in the Owlery Hariah had a strong urge to write to him. She reached for her parchment, quill and ink and when she sat back up she saw a piece of parchment on her lap. Hariah looked around to see where the owl went. Shaking her head she read the reply from Benjamin and wrinkled her nose when she got to the end. She was sure he would say yes, she scoffed at his comment about Leon. It wasn't a very friendly reply but she remembered that it was Benjamin and he wasn't the friendliest of people, she realised that at their first meeting.
Note said:
Here's some extra parchment for you in case you run out this time.

Are you sure? I haven't contacted the wrong person. Leon was a bit busy doing some other revision and anyway, like I said, your the best at Potions and I need help with it. Desperately! I know your still learning it, but it seems like you understand it far better than me.

I've changed Owls, anything else you request?

Her own letter seemed to have as much attitude as Benjamin's, she wanted to match him and show him that she was actually serious about this. She actually wanted impress and please her dad by getting good grades this year. She wanted to show him that she took after him and not her mother. Hariah picked out another small brown bird and hoped that this one was more friendly, it was certainly more eager to send the letter. She watched the bird fly out of the window and back to wherever Benjamin was.

Everyday of his life, there was nothing really that exciting to do. Studying was not an option since they were only forced to do that. Reading Hariah Meadow's offer of sort of tutoring her made Ben think about it, whether it would be worth it or not. His emerald eyes looked at the sky and spotted an owl, almost as the same as the old one. The Slytherin faced down to the grass, ignoring that bird. He also eyed his right hand, which still contained an inch small slash, that was red because of the pain going on inside. As he surveyed it, he felt something gentle land on his shoulder. Being surprised, he snapped his head upwards and faced an owl again, that was holding Hariah's letter. Ben noticed that it was almost the same as the one a while ago yet the personality was completely different. The bird was rather impatient and hostile previously, but this one was friendlier. Ben held up his right arm and watched as the owl landed this time flew to it. With his left hand, he took the letter and the owl flew to the ground, hooting happily because of its successful mission. Ben was fully aware that it held much weight and he ought to find out why.
Benjamin's letter said:
There's no need. I just came out of Charms class anyways so I have a lot of extra here. I'll take it anyway.

You are my age for Merlin's sake. You do not need my help as I myself do not. Potions require confidence in yourself and I believe you can do it. Each lesson trained you well hasn't it? Then why don't you alone use it? And no, changing your owl is the greatest.

So far, how's your day anyways?

-BC
Bloody Gryffindors, Benjamin thought, so stubborn. The last sentence was just for a change of subject, regarding that he did not have anything else to say. A change of subject seemed good to write, hoping that she eventually would forget about her request to the Slytherin. Ben, knowing that the other student was not stupid, frowned when he handed the letter over to the owl. For the exams, he wanted to relax before they came. Not teach some Gryffindor. That would be just horrible.

Not only was there Potions to revise for but there was also Charms, Astronomy and not to mention Transfiguration, which was probably the most complex class and the one which her father did best in. Hariah hoped that she took after him in that class or she would have a very slim chance of passing it since it was difficult. She sighed, she hadn't had to take exams before. Being home schooled was very easy compared to this, it was such a shock. As a result Hariah didn't know whether she was doing too much or too little revision. Sighing she got up and started pacing the small room, careful to avoid the bones on the floor. She wished Benjamin would accept her request and help her. Flapping wings indicated that the owl was back with Benjamin's reply. She hoped he would agree. Unfortunately he still wasn't persuaded! Hariah dipped her quill in her ink and started to write her response.
Note said:
Yes but obviously you have that confidence! I do not! As I said your better at Potions than me so you wouldn't need any help would you? Yes the lessons have been okay, but that's just the very basics isn't it? If I want to get a good grade I need to put the work in and i've tried but to no avail! Is there anything that I could do to make you change your mind?

My day's been okay, but it would be even better if you helped me... Yours?
please, please, please

In desperation Hariah added the 'please's' on the end, hoping Ben would rethink and help her. She folded the parchment up and gave it to the same owl and once again watched it fly off out of the window heading for Benjamin. She reread his letter and smiled at his feeble attempt at changing the subject. Hariah wouldn't give up that easy.

From all people, why me? This question was already starting to annoy the young Slytherin. People who usually did this was only his sister and no one else. Victoria Chase's small high pitched voice rang inside his head, making him even more irritated. Ben wanted peace and quiet and this situation definitely was not peaceful. His head was arguing with his own, whether he should give Hariah a chance. Ben knew about these Gryffindors. All of them seemed stubborn enough for the Slytherins to get mad at. For example, Hariah Meadow not giving up. Ben looked at the sky and again saw the same owl which flew by his side and dropped the letter on the grass. The Slytherin adjusted his position so that his back won't ache on the tree's skin. His quill was there, ignored but Ben got it and began to read it. Ben frowned when he reached the end. He did not expect Hariah to answer like that to his simple question. Frustrated, he began to write what he first thought of.
Benjamin's letter said:
And so tell me, what is difficult for you in Potions? Hariah, I trust that you will tell me a reasonable answer for me to actually accompany you in studying. If not, then that might lead to several complications. You are just simply stubborn aren't you?

-BC

The letter was not friendly, but Ben did not totally care. He wanted to express his feelings that day and he did not want to be misunderstood by the Gryffindor. It would probably take several letters to actually convince him and that would really take quite a long time. Benjamin looked at the owl and gave it a tired sigh. "Such a Gryffindor isn't she? Anyways, you're lovely." Ben complimented and slowly closed his eyes. He heard as the owl's wings made its sounds as it left and Benjamin tried to calm his brain down. He hoped that it would take a while for Hariah to answer back.

Would Benjamin ever give in? Hariah now knew why there was so much conflict between Gryffindor and Slytherin. They were both as bad as each other in being stubborn and wanting their own way. She only hoped she would win this one. It would mean a lot to her. It wasn't as though Benjamin was her first choice. She had thought about this deeply and wondered who to ask. She only thought about Benjamin because she knew that he was doing pretty well in the lessons and getting a lot of the questions right. If she had her way she would have asked one of her friends but they all seemed to be busy. Hariah wasn't exactly friends with Benjamin so it took a lot of courage for her to ask him. The least he could do was help her. Hariah heard the owl return once again with Benjamin's answer. Hariah breathed in deeply and read his reply. She smiled at the end.
Note said:
Well, most of it. Like remembering the ingredients that are in which potion and the potions effects. You know things like that. Do you think you could help with it? By helping me, your helping yourself too...
And yes I am, thankyou!

Hariah tried to make the note sound as friendly as she could, she wanted to persuade Benjamin to help her and by getting all sarcastic and moody would not help her case. Hariah hoped that he would agree soon, time was running out and she had several other subjects to revise for.

Girls will always be girls. Benjamin sighed at that deep observation he noticed eons ago and thought of what the scene could go with Hariah. He pictured it as him being quite irritable with the girl. The boy smirked at the thought and considered that fact too. He was always easily irritated with people he did not seem to get things even though they were explained more than one person can ever imagine. Ben thought that if he wrote down that side of his personality, would it make Hariah shy away and probably stop sending letters to him? Gryffindors were all the way to stubborn for their own good. At least, a small try would do. It will work, hopefully...
Benjamin's letter said:
Oh Merlin. You see, I have the tendency to be quite irritable when it comes to these. Also, I know little knowledge of what those ingredients are all about. And I can help myself by my own. Sending these continuous letters are probably making the owl tired. Maybe you should stop you know.

And you are certainly welcome.

-BC

Her watched said quarter past four, she had been here at least an hour now. She had wasted valuable time asking the Slytherin to help her. She sighed deeply and started pacing the room waiting for Benjamin's answer. The owl appeared a few minutes later and Hariah took the letter from him. Her eyes scanned the paper and she frowned. Why wouldn't he agree to help her?
Note said:
Well we can help each other then can't we? You know a lot more about Potions than me though. You could do it by yourself, but I think it would be more productive if we do it together... No the Owl is fine, he's up for a couple more I think. I'm not going to give up.

The owl flew off with her reply and she sat down by the window once again, hoping he would say yes. At this rate she would just try and do it by herself and forget about Benjamin.

With a quill in hand, Benjamin wanted to just quit sending more letters to the other student. The boy's insides just wanted to experience the peace that it craved for ever since the end of each lesson has been coming up. However, this person would want to just break all of it and begged him to teach her sort of things about Potions. Potions was not one of those subjects that made Benjamin grow a minor migraine, but never in his life did he want to teach anyone that he was not related too. The Slytherin sighed, desperately craving for some rest and he would love it if Hariah would just stop sending these letters. Would she really make him suffer? The boy growled and began to write, wondering when is the best time to just leave the owl alone to look for him. The Slytherin Common Room was going to be his next destination, but he was not so sure. The boy had a small spot for owls, since he had one in his family ever since he was just an infant. He grew up with them and literally played with them when he wanted too. Ben began to write in silence, saying what he wanted to say. He planned this letter sending to stop and he just wished that the Gryffindor would ask another Gryffindor for help. It would be actually easier to make another Gryffindor teach her because they could study in their dormitories. Benjamin would easily agree if Hariah Meadow was a Slytherin. But sadly, the ugly Sorting Hat placed her with those Lions, the rivals of the Snakes.
Benjamin's letter said:
Library tomorrow. 2:30 PM. Be there before :cry:00 or I will leave.

Do me a favor will you? Just cooperate with me and you'll be fine.

-BC
Benjamin's letter said:
</i>

The owl flew back into the Owlery and dropped the letter on her lap. It was strange that it didn't stick around, perhaps Benjamin had finally given in and the owl realised that? Realised that it wouldn't be going on another journey? Hariah looked at the letter and read it excitedly. She jumped and shouted "Yes!" she knew her stubborn nature and being persistent would convince Benjamin to help her. She was like an annoying fly you couldn't ignore her for very long and it payed off. She didn't care about the less than friendly response he had gave in and agreed to help her, that was all that mattered to her. Hariah grinned and put the letter in her pocket along with the others and skipped down from the North tower back to Gryffindor tower with a whole new attitude. She would get cracking on potions and look for the bits where she had no clue on what to do, where Benjamin could help her, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back