Playing the piano.

Jennifer Wilkonson

OOC First Name
Alexis.
Wand
Rowan Wand 15" Essence of Fang of Basilisk
Jennifer felt tense hunched over the dusty, grand piano and her cerulean blue eyes burned as they strained whilst she play. Her spindly fingers were perfect for this and although she hadn't played in a while, it was as if she had been practicing every single day, much like riding a bike. She quietly hummed the melody as the keys were gently and fluidly.

She was relieved that no one was around because it was an awfully sad song and really wanted no one knowing truly how much her heart ached. Soon the song was over and her hands fell upon the black and white keys and made a loud clang but she didn't pay any attention to it and just frowned as she always seemed to be.

(Hope you don't mind me joining?)

Sam was attempting to catch up on some assignments as he lay on his bed, although like always he got distracted. This time he had drawn small stick men on the bottom corners of the pages of his History of Magic text book so when he flicked through the pages quickly it showed the badly drawn stick figure walk along casually before being hit by a bus. Sam found it funny although he was sure if his professor found it he would probably be worried.

Giving up on his assignments Sam decided to go and do something he actually enjoyed, playing his guitar. Sam took the guitar that Jen gave him and slung the strap over his shoulder, he then walked down to the familiar room of the conglomerated arts club. He wore a blue sweater over a white t-shirt, his usual worn out jeans and his scruffy converse. Sam hoped that there would be no one in the music room, he honestly couldn't practice with people around. With his band it was different, he was with his friends. On his own it was more personal.

Sam entered the room to hear a song that depressed Sam just listening to it. He walked slowly and cautiously almost as if not to disturb this person. Sam decided he would just leave this person be and turned around to the door when a floorboard creaked loudly below him. "Typical." he muttered with a roll of his soft blue eyes. Sam looked over his shoulder to the figure at the grand piano. When his eyes fell upon the girl for the first time, he recognized her instantly. Jennifer. "Jen..?" Sam trailed off as he slowly entered the music room. He hadn't just spent time alone with Jennifer in so long, yet he got the impression that she wanted to be alone. Sam repositioned the strap over his shoulder by giving it a small tug, "You okay...?" He knew it was a dumb question, of course she wasn't okay, but it was the first thing that came into his head.

Jennifer's heart began to beat faster when she heard the creak of wood and she snapped her neck around to see Sam. She was caught between a rock and a hard place, either way Sam would know that she was hurting. She couldn't lie because he, most likely, had heard the tone of her song, so she groaned to herself. She falsed a smile as she looked over at Sam once more. "No, but that is alright," she said, with a cheery tone that masked her words and how truly sad she was.

"Do you want to come and play? I'll leave if you want?"
Jen offered, knowing that Sam usually practiced alone, well other than with his band. She stood up and began packing away her note sheets, assuming that he would want some time to be with himself and his music. When she had the sheets gathered, she picked up the roan violin that was placed atop a guitar case. The guitar did not belong to her but the violin did, so she held it under her arm in rest position, her hand gripping the neck while her other on the horse hair bow, before she held that in her other arm. She stood waiting to hear Sam's response, bending and straightening her knee, feeling the soft material of her skirt.

[No not at all :D]

Sam looked at Jen sympathetically when she said she wasn't alright. He shoved one of his hands deep into his jeans pocket and made his way across the room. Then it all happened extremely fast, first she was asking should she leave and then started to pack up all her stuff. "Hey, hey!" Sam said, eventually. "Stay....please?" Sam looked her in the eye before realizing that his hand was on her sheet music. He took them slowly from her, reached over and placed them on the piano. He wasn't going to ask if she minded him staying, because she probably would want him to leave and he wasn't ready to do that yet. Jen was deeply upset and he wasn't just going to let her push him away. "Do you...em..want to talk about it?" He asked slowly in a soft voice, his blue eyes as soft and calm as they always were.

Jennifer's pulse quickened when Sam held her sheet music, she didn't know whether or not he was planning on reading it or just taking it hostage from her until she told him exactly what was going on in her mind, both of which she didn't want at all. When he asked her if she would stay, she sighed, she honestly couldn't say no to Sam. When it was asked if she wanted to talk about it, she shook her head and raised the violin to her neck. "No, I honestly don't. But if you want me to, I suppose I have no choice in the matter," she said flatly.

When her words were finished, she softly and slowly played a few notes, normally she would have given her full attention to Sam but she needed to have a distraction. "I'm a child of a broken family. My stupid mother doesn't give a rats ass if she is negatively effecting Owen or myself and I'm pretty sure my father feels the same way. He only cares about his students and how well they are doing in his class back at Salem," she sneered, but not to Sam, it was simply because the anger she had built up inside came out when she spoke about her parents.

"Do you know that on my birthday, my parents didn't send me a well meaning card or letter. How hard is it to remember? They had two children on one day!" Jennifer exclaimed. "I know it is probably awfully juvenile how infuriated I am with them but what does it matter?" she asked with frustration, not noticing how her notes had become deeper.

Sam was glad that he had gotten Jennifer to talk about what was going on with her, he knew how much she didn't want to but he found that talking to people was the best way around it. Even if it sounded stupid, Sam usually felt better. However he wasn't sure if it would be the same in this case, Jen was going through a much tougher time then he ever was. Sam took a seat on the piano stool as Jennifer began to spill.

Sam had to admit, he wasn't shocked over how angry she was getting he would be too if he had to coop up all of those thoughts. Sam wasn't so good with the adivce but he was a good listener, it was definitely one of his strong points. He swept his long hair out of his eyes before saying, "Look Jen...they're probably just having a rough time with the divorce...?" He began not really knowing if it was wise to defend Jen's parents. He wasn't really, but he just wanted to let her know that they too probably have it rough. "But I don't blame you for being angry nor do I judge you. They're not making it any easier on you right now." He continued as he slid one of his fingers up and down a white piano key.

"Listen, I've been an awful friend." He said looking away from Jen and looked instead at the piano. Sam pressed on the note before continuing, "I mean, I didn't even wish you a Happy Birthday. I should have been there for you a lot more." He figured that because Jennifers parents seemed to be 'neglecting' her almost, he felt it was his responsibility to be there for her, as a friend. Someone she could tell all of this stuff to. Sam didn't look back at Jen, he lifted his finger of the keyboard and placed his had back on his lap.

Jennifer listened to Sam as she continued to play the violin, silently finding faults with each of his points but when he said he had been an awful friend, she stopped her bow short, letting the note ring. "Samuel William Prince!" she scolded. "Don't you dare say that. I could care less whether you wished me a happy birthday or not. Your more my family then my own Sam," she said truthfully. "Now, lets drop this melancholy topic and speak of something nicer or even just play and not speak," she suggested, with a light hearted air to her words because she didn't want to talk about this at all.

She put down her violin and sat down beside Sam at the piano bench and smiled fakely as she began playing skillfully with him. Jenn wasn't much of a guitarist but piano and violin where what she knew. When she was younger she had played first violin in every recital and the piano had been taught by herself by ear. "I don't know if you noticed but during your birthday.. there was something up with Scorpius and Taylor. Did Scorpius tell you what happened?" she asked, because she was shocked that Scorpius and Taylor were no longer together and she wanted to know if there had been something she missed when she was being oh so unsocial.

Sam looked up at Jen and gave her a small smile as she said he was more her family then her actual family. Sam let Jennifer get away with not talking about it this time, he got something out of her which was a start. He took the guitar off his back and placed it up against the grand piano and then moved up the piano bench for Jen to sit down. Watching people play piano was something he loved to do, everything about it was so graceful. Sam didn't know how to play the piano, well, he could play one song and when he did, it certainly wasn't graceful. It was the exact opposite.

When Jennifer brought up the situation between Scorpius and Taylor at his birthday he looked sharply away from the piano. "No I wasn't talking to him since?" He replied with a questioning tone to his voice almost as if telling her to continue. Although he could guess what was going on, he just didn't know the back story to it. In the back of his mind he hoped he was very wrong.

Jennifer felt relief completely wave over her as Sam didn't say anything more on the subject, she just didn't want to talk about it any longer. What she had told Scorpius was just about enough talking for her life time. The thought of the words she had spoken to her Ravenclaw friend caused her to wrinkle her nose in distaste and her eyes to harden.

Although Jen felt the need to tell Sam what she knew, a pang in her stomach rose. What if Scorpius didn't want anyone else to know? She would be betraying his confidence and that would give him leave to betray hers. She intentionally softened her eyes as she looked over at Sam through her flaxen strands of hair. "Scorpius' jealousy took over again," she began. "Taylor was with some older boy and he walked in and I guess they got into a fight because they aren't together anymore," she finished with a shrug of her shoulders.

Jennifer didn't know Taylor as well as the other girl's did so she had to assume that it was indeed her fault, besides why would she not take Scorpius' side of the story, even before she heard Taylor's? However, she would not share this because she didn't want to cause any rips in between the failing group of friends.

Sam listened without interupting once as Jen explained what had happened between Taylor and Scorpius. Sam could have killed Scorpius, Taylor was a great girl! He couldn't imagine why she would cheat on Scorpius, however he wasn't going to meddle in it or take any sides. This was their problem to solve. However he did notice how Jen didn't seem to be too upset or annoyed about the whole thing, he knew she didn't know Taylor as well as the others but she could still be a little sympathetic he thought to himself. If Scorpius and Taylor didn't patch things up soon things would be very awkward when everyone hung out again. It was always the downside of dating friends. But then again, would they meet up again as a group? Was there even any point? Everyone seemed to be changing and going separate ways. Was there any point in trying to stop it? As these thoughts ran through Sam's head he couldn't help but feel saddened by the whole thing, the groups of friends had not even made it three years. Without any further thought, Sam's hands made it to the piano keys and he began playing one part of the one song he knew. It may not have suited the mood but he didn't know what else to do at a time like this.

Jennifer listened to Sam play part of Heart and Soul, a song she had once played for a recital, and joined him with a small smile. As she played she remembered that she hadn't told anyone about her best friend moving to New Zealand from Salem so she excitedly said, "Oh Sammy, guess what!" She grinned, still playing with her ex boyfriend with a happy grin. "My best friend from Salem might be transferring over here! Her name is Jessica, she and I are more like family then well.. my own family. Do you know how great that is? I saw her at the Mall over the Brightstone Weekend. You'll love 'er!" she exclaimed with just about the biggest grin on her face, the biggest one that had been on it around Sam in a while.

Sam smiled to himself as Jen joined him playing the piano their hands were sychronised although Jen had made it look much more graceful and easy, whereas Sam's face were focused and his eyebrows were slightly furrowed. When Jen told him that her best friend from Salem was transferring, he stopped playing. There would be no way he could juggle talking and playing piano. "Jen thats great!" He mirrored her smile, a smile he hadn't seen in so long. It was like when they frist dated, or even before they dated. The smile brought back so many memories. He was glad she had found someone who could put that smile on her face again, however deep inside he wished he still could do that. He knew that with all their history, maybe it was just impossible to be as close as this friend was to Jen. "I'm looking forward to meet her." He said with a small smile.

Jenny laughed as Sam said that he was looking forward to meeting Jessie. "You better. I told her all about you and Scorpius and even Hoshi," she said grinning brightly. "Her brother is really nice too. You'll love her and if you ever meet Matthew, I'm sure you'd get on like flies on honey. He is a great musician, it's a shame that he isn't finishing his NEWTs next year though," she said, imagining going to school with both Reed's once more, at Hogwarts! She wasn't sure that Hogwarts New Zealand could handle it, not with Sam, Scorpius and Hoshi here as well. "I can't wait to see Mum and Dad for Christmas," she said with a small smile, figuring that Sam would assume that when she said Mum and Dad she wasn't talking about her parents. It would be a silly thing for him to think, especially when she had just shown her anger at her parents a minute ago.

Feeling like they were talking about her too much Jennifer looked up at Sam and smiled. Her smile was blank once more as she asked, "What's up with you? Feels like I haven't seen you in decades."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back