Peaceful

Melody Renson

OOC First Name
Lizzy
Wand
Apple 13 1/2" Essence of Belladonna
After settling into her new home, and exploring it, Melody stll had not fond a place where she could go undisturbed. Quiet corners of the castle grounds were usually invaded by groups of laughing people, and even the library was full of giggles and whispers. Today, Melody decided to climb the North Tower,and see if she could find peace and quiet up there.

A book under her arm, and her wand held loosely in her hand, she ascended the spiral staircase, emerging outside at the top. To her relief, it was empty.

Melody's style had changed alot since William. She used to dress lightly and freely, favouring summer dresses and shorts in the warmer seasons, and nice jeans in winter, but now she dressed much more conservatively. Today she wore faded jeans, a hoodie, converse sneakers, and leg warmers.

As she stepped out onto the tower, she looked up to see a solid grey sky, and a light rain. She walked hurriedly over to an overhang which created a protected and dry area for her to sit. She opened her book, and started to read, feeling more peaceful than she had since she had arrived.

Sam was trying to find a spot where he could sit in peace and just think. His family always complained he was to quiet. But he just didn't talk when he didn't need to. Sure he could talk, but when it was not needed for him, he wouldn't. In this was he would be referred to as intrapersonal.

He ran his hair though his untidy blonde hair in attemp to rid it of the rain that had started while he was entering the North Tower. He glanced up to find that he was not alone. He stopped a little alarmed that some one was up here, he thought that there wouldn't be. It was to late to retreat though, as the girl who had been reading looked up. He thought that he had better be polite he walked over to her.

"Erm... Hi, I'm Sam" he paused for a moment and caught his breath "whats your name?"

Melody was starting to get impatient with her book. It was becoming boring and repetitive. A noise alerted her to the fact that someone had joined her on the tower. Looking up, she saw a blonde boy, who she recognised as a fellow first year Ravenclaw. From what she had seen of him, he was quiet like herself. She sighed inaudibly as he came over to her. She just looked at him, trying to convey that she wasn't going to talk. What was the point in talking? It just made messes.

When the girl sighed Sam considered walking away, but what would be the fun in that? Sam paused long enough so that she would know he was thinking. Should he get annoyed or shake it off. He decided to shake it off. He laughed and waved his hand in front of her face about a metre away while saying

"Hello, anyone home?" he tried to look the girl in the eyes, yet he couldn't find them.

Melodyn judged his reaction, and could tell he was thinking about giving up trying to talk to her, and walking away. She wished he would. She no longer cared what people thought of her.
When the Sam waved his hand in front of her face, and asked her if anyone was home, she surprised herself by saying in a very quiet, but clear voice "Melody"
She hadn't used her voice in so long, it felt rusty. It was also quite a nice to hear it again. Melody closed her book slowly.

Sam was glad that the girl had replied, thankful that he wouldn't look like a dork. He still was wondering if he should leave, but there was something with this girl that wanted him to stay. So in order to keep the conversation going, as she had closed her book, which was a sign that she didn't mind him talking to her, he said

"Melody's a nice name" Sam paused, wondering if he should sit down beside her then said "So how are you finding Hogwarts?"

Melody looked at him, with a different measure of curiosity. She was surprised that he had stayed, and she wasn't sure why, but it pleased her that he had. His questions were easy, but she didn't feel like talking, as usual.
She smiled briefly in thanks, but it didn't quite meet her eyes. When he asked how she was liking Hogwarts, she just shrugged. It was definetly better than home, but she didn't feel like sharing.

Sam was puzzled, he wanted to talk to Melody but he decided that he was not needed to ask another question. He guestured over towards a window

"I'm just going to go and sit over there" he paused "Hope you dont mind"

He went over to where he pointed, just to sit and think. Sam, could be a talkative guy but he also had a silent side to him. He sat down and closed his eyes maybe he would have a sleep.

Meldoy watched in silence as Sam told her what he was going to do. She hoped that he didn't think she was weird or unstable, because she wasn't talking. This emotion scared her slightly, and she wrapped her arms around her stomach. For so long she had been blocking out emotion, and retreating into her shell, and something about this boy made her feel human again. She tried to push the feelings away, but instead of retreating back into her shell, she started to panic. Melody couldn't understand where this was coming from, and her breath quickened, making mist in the rainy air. As she reached hyperventilation, Melody sood up suddenly, her book falling to the ground.
"Um... I can't breath" she whispered to the boy, swaying on the spot. The ground rushed up to meet her, and Meldoy found herself on the wet ground.

Sam who couldn't sleep, took a deep breath, and heard Melody utter

"Um... I can't breath"

Before he heard a thud followed by Melody collasping. He scrambled to his feet, wand out of his pocket. He ran over to her and knelt beside her, grabbing her wrist, but in a delicate way. Sam who was resonably smart, realised that she had fainted. He took a breath as she started to stir, realising that he hadn't really breathed in since the thud. He kept his hand on her wrist as he couldn't pull it away yet, she felt so vunerable. Sam shook his head, why was he thinking like this? Melody was starting to sit up

"Careful" Sam advised her "Do you want any chocolate?" Sam was considering using the summoning charm and getting some chocolate for her.

Meldoy could feel a hand on her wrist, and she yanked it out of his grasp. The feeling of being touched made her angry.
"No! I don't want your stupid chocolate!" She shouted, the last year of sadness and anger that had been bottled up pouring out.
"I don't want to be helped! I don't want to be talked to! I don't want...!" she broke down in sobs. Looking up, past Sam, she spotted the edge of the tower, which, she realised was the answer to all her problems. Scrambling to her feet, she ran over to side, and looked down. The drop was surely high enough. She began to climb onto it, ready to fall.

Sam stood shocked. He was speechless, lost for words. But it was not long before they returned,

"Well I'm sorry that I even talked to you" he replied back to her almost spitting his words out

He watched as Melody ran past him, in tears, he didn't even bother turning to see where she went. Sam stood staring at the empty space where she had been standing. He hadn't gotten this mad in a while, Sam rarely yelled at anyone, he preferred to keep silent and sort it out himself. He could still hear Melody sobbing, whipping round

"Fi-" his sentance what cut off with what Melody was doing. Sam only had seconds to think about what he could do. Taking long strides over to where Melody was looking down, and harshly yet in a soft tone said

"If your considering jumping, don't bother, it will just hurt the people around you."

Melody could tell that he was angry, but she honestly couldn't care less. She didn't even know this boy, so why should she care? "Well so am I" she retorted. If he hadn't come and disturbed her peace, she would never be feeling like this.

She paused, with a foot, on the barrier "There isn't anyone around me" she whispered "Nobody cares" she said, her voice cracking. She knew it was true. Her father thought she was worthless, and William had left her to pick up the pieces. Suddenly, she didn't feel like she had the strength. Falling back, she slid down the barrier wall, and came to a sit on the wet ground, her face devoid of emotion, but tears still splashing down on her jeans.

Sam breathed thankful she didn't jump. He figured that it would have brought back to many hidden memories is she had, and then he would have been, quite frankly, screwed. He debated on wether he should sit down beside her, and decided not to. He sat about two metres away from her, watching her cry, wishing that he could help her.

"Don't think that nobody cares" Sam said to her silently "Thats what my mum thought" saying this is a dull tone that was held with sadness. He leaned againet the wall behind him.

"Look" he paused "I never wanted to tell anyone this" he said in an almost bitter tone "My Mother, she died" He closed his eyes trying to get rid of the pictures of his Mum lying dead on the floor "She commited suicide" he looked up towards Melody "Thats why I'm saying don't, because no matter what you think, someone loves you and will miss you very much"

Sam didn't know what to do. He was usually so silent about this and strong, but now he felt like the vunerable one.

Melody laughed bitterly "I wouldn't be so sure" she said "My father thinks I'm a disgrace, and Willia-" she broke off, not able to go any further. She bit her lip when he told her about his mother "I'm sorry" she sid, quietly. The rain was falling harder now, and her damp hair dripped around her face. This trip up the North Tower had in one way, been the worst day for her in a long time, but also, it was the best. Finally, Melody had spoken out, and got rid of all the emotions bottled up inside her. Now, she was sitting here across from a stranger, who had finally broken her silence.

Sam had put his head back down, now he looked up at saw Melody looking at him. The girl he had told about his Mum, which he wasn't planning on doing - to anyone. He sighed silently in his head, in a way it had been good to tell someone, but it had also dug up all the memories of his mothers death. It scared him, as well as made him feel vurnerable.

"Its ok" he replied breaking the silence, wiping his wet hair out of his eyes "I probably needed to tell someone sometime soon" he paused time for a subject change, he could still see pictures, he scunched up his eyes, an effort to rid them.

"So" he stopped opening his eyes "How are you finding Hogwarts?"

Melody saw him look up at her. She let her wet hair cover her eyes, and lowered her head to look at the rough stone ground.
"Don't worry, it's our secret" she said, almost laughing. The thought of her gossiping to another student about Sam's misfortune was humorous. She probably wouldn't talk to anyone else. It just didn't feel comfortable.

"Hogwarts is... better than home" Melody said, being truthful this time "I don't have to make people happy, and be cheerful" she said, a bitter note entering her voice.

"Yeah, its pretty awesome" Sam sighed "I'm really glad I got sorted into Ravenclaw to"

Ravenclaw had become a tradition in Sam's family, and Sam was glad to be able to make his late Mother proud.

Meldoy gave a small nod "Yeah it's good" she said quietly. She wouldn't have wanted to be in any other house. Even though her father was magical, he was so ashamed of it, he hadn't attended a magical school. Meldoy, on the contrary, was proud of having magical powers, and couldn't wait to learn useful magic.
She sat in silence, as the rain got heavier. She started to shiver, and wrapped her arms tightly around herself, for warmth and comfort.

Sam felt drained. This whole conversation with Melody had been fine, but he needed space to think. He got up and brushed the raindrops off his jeans.

"Well, I better get going" he paused "Nice to meet you Melody, talk to you sometime soon"

Sam waved before departing down the staircase, it was unknown where he was going, but it was somewhere we he could think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back